January 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Introducing to you: FAILBUN!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=60350

For this wonderfully elaborate bun, you will need:
- shoulder-length, heavily oiled, dry, damaged hair,
- ugly kinky pubes around your neck,
- A cheap plastic hairstick with seams,
- lots of patience and luck.

twist your wee bit of hair once or twice...or three times (if you can). try to tuck all the thinned out oily ends inside... somewhere :rolleyes: Then stab the whole mass of awesomeness with the hairstick. If you're lucky enough, it will actually stay :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=60351

eh, i wanted to celebrate my first bun this way :D I'll definitely get some hair-friendly sticks, for obvious reasons LOL

:cheese:

EDIT: It actually stays! :bigeyes:

Isa-belle
January 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
LOL!
Not a fail at all. I like the wispies you have at the nape of the neck.
Congrats on your first bun! :thumbsup:

Dreams_in_Pink
January 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
:bow: thank you!

Calista
January 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I am in absolute awe that you can do a bun at your length! And it looks GOOD!! :cheer:

Dreams_in_Pink
January 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I am in absolute awe that you can do a bun at your length! And it looks GOOD!! :cheer:

actually, i still haven't gotten over the shock yet :bigeyes: guess i've been on LHC too much :D bun is contagious!

Myrddin
January 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
You are funny! And btw the bun looks good!

RoseRedDead
January 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Way to go! For a fail, it is pretty epic and, well, pretty!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 16th, 2010, 06:56 AM
oh noes!! I cannot do it again!! :run:

Dani
January 16th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Ha, awesome post! You write how I talk. :D Well done, Failbun! That name is great, too. Very funny and catchy for me. :p And don't forget you can do twin buns! I love those at this length too, along with twin half-pony tailies. Your waves are freaking gorgeous.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Ha, awesome post! You write how I talk. :D Well done, Failbun! That name is great, too. Very funny and catchy for me. :p And don't forget you can do twin buns! I love those at this length too, along with twin half-pony tailies. Your waves are freaking gorgeous.

The most outstanding feature of failbun is that you can only do it once, and fail at next attempts.

And i love the idea of two failbuns; I might even secure them with toothpicks!! :cheese:

rags
January 16th, 2010, 07:02 AM
That's very pretty! I like the neck ringlets - always wished I had some.

Fiferstone
January 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
"neck pubes" :lol: GREAT bun by the way, it'll only get better from here. My sense is perhaps your subsequent attempts weren't quite twisted enough? The secret is to get the length (all of it) to have some sort of twist in it, that will help to keep the base twisted and lock it all in place. You'll get there :).

LilyMunster
January 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Mist the nape hair and ringlet become more defined.
Try the twin buns too. Looking great.

Elphie
January 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Brilliaint! Bows down at the awesomeness of the Failbun!
(It really does look good, btw!)

Heavenly Locks
January 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I like your fail stick :) and I think that your buns will get better with practice. Try it oiled or damp next time!

kelly-j
January 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Love your post, and btw your bun looks great:cheese:

Aquamarine
January 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Congrats on your first bun!:) Your bun looks cool and great!:cheese:

Sammich
January 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
At least most of your hair can get in a bun! Mine can't! Haha! :D
I love it, awesome first bun.

SeaShell
January 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
haha! love your humor...but I think it looks very nice...not a fail bun...a SUCESS bun!

Dani
January 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
The most outstanding feature of failbun is that you can only do it once, and fail at next attempts.

And i love the idea of two failbuns; I might even secure them with toothpicks!! :cheese:

How ironic is this? :pumpkin: LOL @ the toothpicks. Hee. What would tiny people use to keep up their buns? They'd have flexi-8's made of a blade of grass... and like, tiny twigs, of course... a cheerio instead of a sock for a sock bun. Then they'd run off and steal a wee hunk of cheese from a mouse.

Latin Tea
January 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the smile! And I am jealous of your ability to make a bun at all. I can't even make a failbun. I am a totally lame bun maker. All mine look squished and/or fall out. Just not happening for me and I have 27" of hair. Of course, you have great thickness and I don't. :( But, I am inspired to try yet again.

Beets
January 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Sweet! I love the neck pubes, by the way. I have about a centimeter squared worth of those, all together on the right side of the nape of my neck. It's a long curl now, and it's always the one that wants to mat up. But I think of it as the little piece of my hair with the most personality :p.

LoversLullaby
January 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I don't think it's a fail at all - I think it's quite adorable! Plus it's a milestone for you!
I'm sure if you keep experimenting with it and trying you'll make it stay again. :D
Plus the "neck pubes" as you call them, are very cute. I've got some myself and love em.

Pixna
January 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Congratulations!!! :applause It turned out great -- really! And your post was so cute. I like neck hairs -- they add softness and femininity and keep a bun from looking too severe. Good job!!!

JenniferNoel
January 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Not necessarily a fail bun, it's more like a seriously cute bun! :D
And congratulations on your first bun. Keep up the awesome work.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies folks! :cheese:

"neck pubes" GREAT bun by the way, it'll only get better from here. My sense is perhaps your subsequent attempts weren't quite twisted enough? The secret is to get the length (all of it) to have some sort of twist in it, that will help to keep the base twisted and lock it all in place. You'll get there :).

i twist and twist and twist...in the end it becomes micro twists that let go once stick is placed... the truth is, i cannot tuck the ends anywhere with this length; need another week to go :D

Brilliaint! Bows down at the awesomeness of the Failbun!
(It really does look good, btw!)

all hail to the failure!

I like your fail stick :) and I think that your buns will get better with practice. Try it oiled or damp next time!

it is oiled here, heavily oiled; actually i used up all oil that was left inside my cabinet :stirpot:

At least most of your hair can get in a bun! Mine can't! Haha!
I love it, awesome first bun.

keep on trying, may fail be with you :cool:
err, that sounded wrong...

How ironic is this? LOL @ the toothpicks. Hee. What would tiny people use to keep up their buns? They'd have flexi-8's made of a blade of grass... and like, tiny twigs, of course... a cheerio instead of a sock for a sock bun. Then they'd run off and steal a wee hunk of cheese from a mouse.

looks like my bun fired your imagination :D

Thanks for the smile! And I am jealous of your ability to make a bun at all. I can't even make a failbun. I am a totally lame bun maker. All mine look squished and/or fall out. Just not happening for me and I have 27" of hair. Of course, you have great thickness and I don't. :( But, I am inspired to try yet again.

you're very welcome :D my hair was 4 times thicker before i had it thinned out by hairdresser, for the sake of natural looking extensions. oh well :justy:

I don't think it's a fail at all - I think it's quite adorable! Plus it's a milestone for you!
I'm sure if you keep experimenting with it and trying you'll make it stay again.
Plus the "neck pubes" as you call them, are very cute. I've got some myself and love em.
i found a proper way of making my hair bun with a stick (a winbun, i would say) It actually has some decent instructions, i'll share them as soon as i feel productive.

Sylvanas
January 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Your description is hilarious :D Failbun looks good!

embee
January 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Failbun looks good. :)

Most buns really do fail on the next try (and often more). The best buns seem to happen in the evening when one is going nowhere. Trying to repeat them the next day before going out is for sure a fail. :)

Keep on working with it, one day it will suddenly be easy and you'll be surprised and pleased.

enfys
January 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I think it's impressive.

How do you feel about hair bands? If my buns won't stay I find tying a pony is the only way to get them to hold. Yeah, that problem never goes away...

MAO
January 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Funny girl! I think it looks cute! :)

BrightEyes
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I love your bun! You've actually got me thinking that maybe I can try that on my shoulderlength hair. Definitely not a fail bun.:)

linda g
January 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
What a fun post :) I think it looks nice! And the little curls on your neck are cute.

My failbuns try to migrate south for the winter.

jesamyn
January 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think your failbun is adorable, and your description was quite funny!