PDA

View Full Version : New hair, or broken hair?

time_on_fire
January 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
For the last few months, I've made two major changes. -Cone free and SLS free shampoo and conditioner (Giovanni Smooth as Silk) and I've been putting my hair up almost every day.

I think I started in September or November. I've possibly had more protein in my diet in the last month. Oh... I've also had a lot of digestive health issues this year, and I've been doing much better in the last few months. (that might be the answer to my question)

I've notice hair around my hairline in front is different. There seem to be more short hairs. I've never had a nice hairline, but I can't tell if my hair is breaking off from wearing it up, or coming in for some reason.

Is there anyway to tell?

manderly
January 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Look at the ends. Baby hairs will taper, like they've never been cut, where broken hairs will have a flatter or frayed end.

SunshineHair
January 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM
manderly-- unless my hair is spliting I cant tell what you are talking about. And I would like to know also, can you point me to a picture of both examples by and chance?

manderly
January 15th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I can't find the pictures for the life of me, hopefully someone who has them will come along and post them. I'll check with Nightshade, I think she may have those (along with her horrors of heat damage pics).

Nightshade
January 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I can't find the pictures for the life of me, hopefully someone who has them will come along and post them. I'll check with Nightshade, I think she may have those (along with her horrors of heat damage pics).

:twisted: MUHAHHAHAHAH!

Here's the tapered hair:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/Taperedhair.jpg

Vs the blunt cut hair:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/BluntHair.jpg

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
tapered ends look like arrows and broken ends are blunt

time_on_fire
January 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks, gals. Now, if I could just take my hair off my head so I could get a better look at those little critters, I'd be set.

At this point, I'm thinking it's new growth. I hope I'm right.

x0h_bother
June 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I had this same question recently around my hairline, and I just looked and they are..Tapered! :) :) Now if only I could answer the question of why they are growing in new (They shed?) :(

lastnite
June 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I have a bunch of baby looking hairs coming in too. It's hard to tell if they are tapered or blunt since my hair is fine and blondish... it kinda gets lost in the light when looking. My hairline is looking more filled in though and some hairs are looking thicker (and darker), so I think it is new growth. I don't want to jinx myself, but I really think it's the Indian herbs and oils I've been using that's causing new growth *knocks on wood*

gypsychild
July 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I've had the same thing happen recently. Never have I had a whole lot of baby hairs, but now they are everywhere and up front I have a random little chuck (a tiny, tiny chunk) of tapered hairs that are really soft. Almost like I grabbed some scissors and tried to cut some bangs but the ends feel like they've never been cut. This is since babying my hair and starting to take a hefty amount of vitamins daily. Hopefully it's new growth!

Hotrox
July 4th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I've got these - they appeared around 6 months ago when I started to work on improving my diet. If I brush them all forward its almost enough for a very fine fringe.

I am happy to see them as to me they indicate new healthy hair but they make my hairline so messy, I'll be much happier when they have grown a few more inches and blend in with the rest of my hair

littlenvy
July 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I got 'em too!
Nice and new. I know they must be knew because there was only peach fuzz there before. LOL
I have been taking Silica in addition to my regular supplements and did few Amla washes. :)
Thou the Amla made my baby hair a bit darker.
But I'm not sure if all this is helping or if its just summer growth. LOL