PDA

View Full Version : To tie a braid

Vivien'
January 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hey folks !

These days, I'm almost constantly wearing a braid. Very convenient. However, the ends of my hair are very thin, and often the elastic tie at the end of the braid just slips ! (If I go running it can be a problem) :(
I use normal elastic ties, without metal. I could tie higher where there is more thickness, but I prefer when it's braid until the very end. :)
Do you have any clever solution to prevent the tie from slipping ? (or another solution to hold the braid why not)

xoxophelia
January 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Some people might have better suggestions but what I used to do was get these dental rubberbands used for braces that are clear and use those. My hair is also pretty slippery so things will slide right off. That would stick to my hair better and I didn't personally have a problem with it ripping my hair out.

coscass
January 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Same deal as xoxophelia, but they aren't dental bands. They're the ones a lot of people use for tight, scalp braids, cornrows, etc. I found them in the dollar store, actually. "Expressions" , snag free, 500 rubber bands. They haven't snagged, gotten caught, or fallen out of my hair yet.

shrimp
January 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Can you get away with not banding it?

I usually just braid to where I want then leave it at that. It may loosen off a little at the bottom but stays braided.
Not sure if this will work for your texture etc but it works as well for me on striaghtened as natural hair (and has the advantage that you don't risk breakage form tying it off in the same spot etc or beign imptient like me when removing :oops:).

Vivien'
January 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Rubber band. Yeah... the word 'rubber' is annoying, as it might damage the hair. I don't know actually. I may give a try.

shrimp : won't hold without banding it ! That's why I'm annoyed when the band slips ! :)

Heidi_234
January 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM
You can try incorporating a silky lace in your braid, if you can't tie the lace itself, at least it will thicken the ends, and plus you can wrap it around the spot where you plan to tie with the elastic, to give the elastic something to hold onto. I do it because I get tons of hair-elastic damage, so it's also hair friendly.

Sceleste
January 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM
How about using thread or ribbon? Braid it in an inch or two before tying it for better hold.

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thin ribbons worked best for me and my taper. I braid the ribbon in about a third from the end and tie it off. If I use a similar color to my hair it blends in pretty well. I posted this same question awhile back

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20332

check out ale's pics.

Hope it helps!

GoddesJourney
January 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Two things. The first one is you can take what you're already using and not pull it all the way through on the last pull through (if you know what I mean). That helps sometimes. The other thing you might want to consider is to just make your own little scruchies with really strong elastic. Actually, let's make it four things. Number three is that you can wrap something around your hair that isn't damaging and the use a really strong rubber band over it. Number four is that you can use those little disposable elastics made out of some kind of silicone or latex. They are really good because they're kind of sticky but they don't pull your hair if you just pill it out slowly. Just don't oil your ends before you put them on because they will break.

GoddesJourney
January 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Same deal as xoxophelia, but they aren't dental bands. They're the ones a lot of people use for tight, scalp braids, cornrows, etc. I found them in the dollar store, actually. "Expressions" , snag free, 500 rubber bands. They haven't snagged, gotten caught, or fallen out of my hair yet.

Right. These are what I was talking about.

MandyBeth
January 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The little silicone bands hold my little braids super tight - even thru washing. Plus, mine at least are super easy to get out - no damage method - gently rub some oil above and over the band. It will either break or it will lose the "stick" to the hair and slide out. My hair also loves to have elastics slip out and is easily broken.

Liss
January 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have fine hair that holds really well with the snag-free bands other have mentioned here. They are the same size as the bands that fit to braces on the teeth (bad memories of teen year train tracks :o)

I buy cheap packs of about 50 that come in three shades of brown, so they blend well with most hair shades and look a little more sophisticated than a regular thicker hair elastic.
Even though they look like mini rubber bands, I've never had snagging or hair breakage problems caused by them.

The only problem I've ever had with them is when they break, but that's only ever after several uses of the same band being stretched about three times around the top of a ponytail. I normally use two of them so if one breaks, the other holds the style in place. I'm guessing if you're only using them on the end of a braid, this wouldn't really be a problem.

Even though you seem to have doubts, I recommend that you try them because they really are very good for finer hair types.

Shorty89
January 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Spidermom, I believe has some trick to securing her ends, but I don't remember what it was or where to find it. Hopefully she will pop in.

bumblebums
January 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I would suggest a thin leather strap, turned the fuzzy (suede) side in towards the hair. It won't damage your hair, and it looks nice and masculine (I think, or at least gender-neutral). If you care about that kind of thing.

Sabayon
January 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I also recommend the "snag-free" elastic bands mentioned here, but it would probably help to loop one higher up. Just use two elastics in your braid, one before any hair starts slipping out, and then one as low as you want your braid to go.

BranwenWolf
January 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
There are non-slip hair bands for braiding horse hair that also don't tug. They can be located at a feedstore or online.
The nice thing is they come in bags of 200 or 500, and in various brown/black/blonde shades so they match!

klcqtee
January 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hm. If I want my braid to stay, I braid and band it as usual, then fold my braid up on itself, and secure with a stick. If the braid comes undone, the stick hold it in place, and keeps it from flopping around and smacking people. I can go jogging like this too, without problems.

Anje
January 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I tend to use those little silicone bands, but I have found that some work better than others. The ones from Goody, for example, are very stiff and likely to slip, but reusable. The pack I got from Sally's are much more flexible as well as softer and cheaper, less slippery, but likely to break if reused.

zift
January 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I think that plain rubber might damage your hair. I remember someone cutting women's panties and using it as elastic.

Honestwitness
January 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Spidermom's technique is to wrap the end of the braids with strips of paper, then put the elastics in. I doubt if she said to do this, but for some reason, I imagine doing this with dollar bills. *grin* I guess I'm feeling a little frisky tonight.

On a more serious note, I vote for the leather laces, sort of like the American Indians do. You can wind them around and around as far up or down the braid as you like and tie them off either higher or lower on your braid(s). You could even add some pony beads to the ends of the ties.

ETA: Here's a link to some really cool looking braid ties on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-Braid-Ties-w-Real-Feathers-on-Deerskin-NEAT_W0QQitemZ200419813169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item2ea9f3a731

enfys
January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Spidermom, I believe has some trick to securing her ends, but I don't remember what it was or where to find it. Hopefully she will pop in.

It's in her photo album. She wraps wet/damp ribbon over the ends of braids then puts the band over the tp of that so it never goes onto the hair.

Natalia
January 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Since you only doing it to the ends some of those little silicone bands can be handy. I use them for the same reason. I have thin and fine hair and with my leftover layers my ends in braids are pathetic. Found mine at target when they had clear now they have all these pastel ones lol. If you want darker ones try a beauty supply :)

Kris Dove
January 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I used chopped up old tights to make hairties for the ends of my braids.

AmyJorgensen
January 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I sometimes use velvet-backed ribbon (I like black or brown) and just tie it. The velvet texture helps to keep it from coming undone.

Vivien'
January 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Thank you all ! I think I should try the rubber band with a 'thing' wrap around the hair to protect it. Or just a piece of ribbon like in ale's album. A leather strap could also be good, if I manage to find one. Thanks again ;)

Heidi_234
January 16th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Thank you all ! I think I should try the rubber band with a 'thing' wrap around the hair to protect it. Or just a piece of ribbon like in ale's album. A leather strap could also be good, if I manage to find one. Thanks again ;)
The leather straps are sold in craft stores. Good luck!

Katze
January 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM

The mini elastics work well for me, too, since my ends are too thin for regular ones. If you are having trouble finding them look in the section of the store where little girls' hair products are found.

Since many people here on LHC are in the USA where products for a wide variety of hair types can easily be purchased, I often end up having to hunt, but have also had luck (not with elastics! products, combs, extensions) in our local 'little Africa' shopping area. Not sure what it is like where you are, but there are often smaller elastics sold for little girls in a wider range of colors than just pink.

I imported the Goody mini elastics from the USA and they work well for me.

frizzalot
January 16th, 2010, 04:56 AM
you could try braiding to the very tip, and then fold an inch of braid back on itself a few times then secure it.

Isa-belle
January 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM
A leather strap would look very cool with your hair :) You can find some in notions stores (merceries en français ;) )

bumblebums
January 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I make leather straps (among other things) from an old leather coat that I bought used ages ago.