PDA

View Full Version : Aveda- BE CURLY

coscass
January 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Does anyone here use this line? I went out to Dillards today and got my hands on some curl enhancer. I didn't get a conditioner, however. I'm a little confused as to what just happened. The lady said it would be great for someone with hair like mine, and I explained my routine and such. She said she wouldn't be using suave in my hair at all, etc etc, but I told her that was pretty much non-negotiable for COwashing my scalp.

However, the curl enhancer.. I'm confused. I know it's not a leave in conditioner, but will it moistruise my hair? Can I put it on over my leave in conditioner, or what? I also noticed "Trimethicone2" in it, though she says there are no silicones in it and that it is pretty much as close to natural as you can get.

Did I just get suckered?

Ingredients: water, extracts aquex: linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed extract, althaea officials (marshmellow), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cetearlyl alcohol1, cetyl alcohol1, phenyl trimethicone2, behentrimonium chloride3, hydrolyzed wheat protein4, pathenol, fragrence (parfum) geraniol, linalool, citronellol, amyl cinnamal, limonene, cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride, polyquaternium-11, glyceryin1, tocopherol5, maltodextrin, chlorphenesin, phenoxythanol

Source: 1Coconut (niox de coco), 2silica (silice), 3rapeseed (graine de colza), 4wheat (ble), and 5soy (soja)

I'd hate to have just bought a product that I can't even use. I also called back just to check, but I was assured. Will phenyl trimethicone not weigh my hair down and make it yucky like cones normally do?

BrightEyes
January 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Does anyone here use this line? I went out to Dillards today and got my hands on some curl enhancer. I didn't get a conditioner, however. I'm a little confused as to what just happened. The lady said it would be great for someone with hair like mine, and I explained my routine and such. She said she wouldn't be using suave in my hair at all, etc etc, but I told her that was pretty much non-negotiable for COwashing my scalp.

However, the curl enhancer.. I'm confused. I know it's not a leave in conditioner, but will it moistruise my hair? Can I put it on over my leave in conditioner, or what? I also noticed "Trimethicone2" in it, though she says there are no silicones in it and that it is pretty much as close to natural as you can get.

Did I just get suckered?

Ingredients: water, extracts aquex: linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed extract, althaea officials (marshmellow), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cetearlyl alcohol1, cetyl alcohol1, phenyl trimethicone2, behentrimonium chloride3, hydrolyzed wheat protein4, pathenol, fragrence (parfum) geraniol, linalool, citronellol, amyl cinnamal, limonene, cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride, polyquaternium-11, glyceryin1, tocopherol5, maltodextrin, chlorphenesin, phenoxythanol

Source: 1Coconut (niox de coco), 2silica (silice), 3rapeseed (graine de colza), 4wheat (ble), and 5soy (soja)

I'd hate to have just bought a product that I can't even use. I also called back just to check, but I was assured. Will phenyl trimethicone not weigh my hair down and make it yucky like cones normally do?

Hi Coscass, I have used the Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I'm still learning about cones, so I'm not much help there. But I do remember my fine hair feeling a bit weighed down after using it. I don't think I have as much natural curl as you do from your picture. I have more of a loose wave, but it did help enchance it. I did use it after my leave-in. It worked best if I mixed it with a little bit of gel (I used the Aveda Confixor gel... I'm pretty sure it has cones... sorry) and scrunched it in while my hair was still very wet. It did leave my hair a little crunchy after it dried, so I had to put a little oil or serum in afterwards. I was looking for something that would give me soft, touchable waves and this just didn't deliver. And I don't remember it making my hair really shiny.

To be completely honest, I don't think it was worth the cost. Just the fact that I had to use another product with it to get it to work didn't impress me. And I couldn't get past the smell.

I've been recently trying out Jessicurl products, and so far I think they give me better curl enhancement and make my hair feel a lot softer. And they are cheaper.

That's my experience with Be Curly. Before buying it, I read a ton of reviews for it on the Aveda website and a lot of people loved it. So maybe I was one of the unlucky ones. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me. I hate it when I get suckered into something that ends up not working for me. If you don't like it can you return it? Let me know if you do like it, because I went on a splurge and bought an extra tube and now I'm kicking myself.:rolleyes:. Good luck!!

kittensoupnrice
January 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Wow!
I thought the name sounded familiar, so I went rooting around in my cupboard and found a tube of the same stuff, only 4 or 5 years older!

Here's the ingredients list on my bottle for cross-comparison.

Ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Extracts: Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract*, Althea Officinalis*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Behentrimonium Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Poyquaternium-11, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Maltodextrin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol
*Organically Grown

On the bright side, it's nice to see that they've removed the parabens.

I hate to break it to you, though, but Phenyl Trimethicone is indeed a silicone.

coscass
January 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
[B]UGHHHHH. I *KNEW* There was a reason I stopped listening to stylists (no offense to her, I guess it really isn't *her* fault, BUT, she's supposed to be a product expert). I also knew that I *wasn't* stupid, and that it *was* a silicone. But I figured, she's a professional. Maybe this is some weird cone-thats-not-a-cone, or cone-that-does't-act-like-a-cone-cone. I should have just stuck to my guns and bought the goddang conditioner I went in for, not settle for a curl enhancer I had doubts about. Gr.

I don't know anyone else who has curly hair and who could use this besides my mother. And I'd hate for her (always had nice hair, btu recently went straight/frizzzy due to menopause) to try it, like it, then start to notice the buildup, etc. I'd like my 20-something-dollars back. (Not a lot, really, but for a 20 year old, it is)

missmagoo
January 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
looks like a 'cone to me.

You can use the curl creme on its own over your leave in, or over your leave-in and under gel. It really depends on your hair. For some people curl creme or texturizer has enough hold on its own, other people need the hold of gel to keep their hair from going limp at the end of the day or from getting frizzy. Now that it's winter you might try it on it's own as gels can sometimes cause frizz when the dew point is low.

oops! We cross-posted. I think there was a thread on nc about be curly- you could check there

truwave
January 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I got this as a sample and liked it. I used it over a leave in and under gel. It gave a little more curl/wave definition than gel alone. I'd also say its a good frizz fighter. Phenyl Trimethicone is definitely a cone.