PDA

View Full Version : The right face/body type for long blunt hair?

Loviatar
January 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I saw this quote on LHC today:

"Sometimes people just don't have the right body type or face shape that is flattered by a long blunt cut."

I wondered, IS there a 'right' body type or face shape? If so, what the heck is it? 'Cause we all look pretty good, don't we? And we LHCers all have varying face/body shapes...

Opinions please?

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think it all comes down to personal opinion. I once posted a picture of 4 different styles of bangs that I was considering getting, and every single style got at least one vote. Therefore, I figure there's no right and wrong, there's only making yourself happy. I was going to add significant other, but since I don't give mine a vote when I really want something for myself, and he doesn't give me a vote about his appearance either, I decided not to add it, although I know others very much take their SO's opinion into serious consideration.

Shermie Girl
January 14th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I don't have the "right" body type or face shape for anything... :wigtongue

So I just wear my hair (long or heading in that direction) and blunt. Stupid fashion and hair rules are sooo last season. :D

Bellalalala
January 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well my opinion is just my opinion, but I have certainly seen some hairstyles on face-shapes/body types that don't look right to me.

For example, huge, wavy, waist-length hair looks overwhelming on a very thin and petite person to me.
I also don't particularly like shoulder length blunt hair on extremely tall women...no idea why, it just makes the proportions seem off to me.
Lastly, I don't like blunt bangs on women with really pronounced cheek-bones.

That said, none of my opinions matter!
Whatever hair makes a woman feel beautiful will make her look MUCH better looking than any given style that "suits her best."

For example, I know that short hair suits my features best. It's not even subtle how much more flattering short hair looks on me.
That said, I never feel like myself or truly beautiful when my hair is short.

I *feel* so much more beautiful with at least APL hair, and that's what really matters.

frangipani
January 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
In my opinion, pulling off a strong hairstyle is more about attitude , of course good bone structure helps, but we can't all have that, so stuff the rules, do what you want!

jaine
January 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I saw this quote on LHC today:

"Sometimes people just don't have the right body type or face shape that is flattered by a long blunt cut."

I wondered, IS there a 'right' body type or face shape? If so, what the heck is it? 'Cause we all look pretty good, don't we? And we LHCers all have varying face/body shapes...

Opinions please?

I personally think it has to do more with the *hair* type than the *body* type. Really really thick hair looks like a bottom-heavy triangle with a blunt cut and that's not a flattering shape on most people.

((running and hiding now ... I expect to get railed for that!))
:)

mrs_b
January 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I thing that long blunt hair would suit more woman, in opposite to really short haircut.
Long hair balances body proportion in a good way, slims the silhouette and draws the eye away of your imperfections (if you have any). and makes you feel feminine & voluptuous and modest and at the same time.

cuddledumplin
January 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Well, I know that blunt hair wouldn't suit me at all because I have such a short, round face, and a blunt fringe makes it look like a beach ball.

cuddledumplin
January 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I have no idea about what body type it would suit though.

GlennaGirl
January 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I realize that no matter what I do to my hair, I'm not going to magically stop looking like I weigh 175 pounds and am in my 40s and have a long face, because I do weigh 175 pounds and I am in my 40s and I do have a long face.

Nothing actually "disguises" any of that and why should I want it to, anyway? I suppose I could wear a body-size burlap bag and then nobody would know. But barring that...they're gonna know. So the heck with it...I wear my hair the way I want.

missjessiecakes
January 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I personally think it has to do more with the *hair* type than the *body* type. Really really thick hair looks like a bottom-heavy triangle with a blunt cut and that's not a flattering shape on most people.

Well if you get railed we both do because I agree.

If it looks like that yeah it might benefit from some shaping but I also think if you love your hair it shows and it makes you look sexier because you love it and dont care what others think.

Personally I need layers in my hair. There is a whole crap load of it and it helps my curls. Also If I am one length blunt cut I look weird because of how short I am. I personally know I cant pull it off because I've been there.

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
There's something to that. I was just looking at old signature pictures, and when I had waist-length blunt cut, the wide sweep of my hair at the bottom gave my body sort of a triangular appearance and my bottom looked ENORMOUS. The U-shape and natural taper that I have now is much more flattering, I think.

LadyJennifer
January 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
You can have long hair without a blunt cut; and while a blunt cut looks good on thinner hair, thick hair (like mine) looks not so great that way. My hair looks much better with some layers.

mrs_b
January 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I realize that no matter what I do to my hair, I'm not going to magically stop looking like I weigh 175 pounds and am in my 40s and have a long face, because I do weigh 175 pounds and I am in my 40s and I do have a long face.

Nothing actually "disguises" any of that and why should I want it to, anyway? I suppose I could wear a body-size burlap bag and then nobody would know. But barring that...they're gonna know. So the heck with it...I wear my hair the way I want.

GlennaGirl, you are right. I are not going to magically stop looking like you weight 175 pounds (what is wrong with it?) but thanks to a beautiful long hair your whole silhouette may be perceived differently than with very short haircut. And no, I don't mean that we need to 'disguise" something under our hair. It is better to bring attention of people who look at us to something beautiful. Your hair is beautiful.

Furthermore, beauty lies in the eyes of beholder:-)

I apologize if I am writing incomprehensible :flower:. As you can see English is not my first language.

mrs_b
January 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
OK, I guess I know why I am sticking so desperately to idea of long blunt hair. :oops: You know why? Because I would love to have such a hair but I would never have it because of texture of my hair.
Such a bummer:(

Natalia
January 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Personally i do not look good with a blunt cut. I have a long narrow face and a blunt cut makes me feel and look something like an ugly horse :o. (dont get me wrong horses are incredibly beautiful but they can keep their face for themselves :D). Other people dont seem to like blunt on me either so i figure if my opion and their opinons match i should go with my instinct :). Just my personal preferance though

klcqtee
January 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I think that a natural U shape looks wonderful on everyone, regardless of body type, hair type, bone structure, whatever. Of course, I feel that a deep V doesn't look so nice on thin hair, or very over weight people (not trying to offend, just saying what I think), because it seems there is less hair than there actually is. I also feel blunt hair cuts on very thick wavy hair, especially on very thin people, can be overwhelming. Of course, if a very thin person would like to wear their hair as a cape (how cool would that be?!), then by all means, go ahead with the thick blunt cut!

As for body types, I'd say it just varies. I mentioned the extremes that came to mind, that don't seem very flattering to me. Of course, I could be wrong, but I've just never seen it. Either way, people should wear their hair however it makes them happy. No reason to give up on what you want.

Bellona
January 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I actually hate my hair short not really because of how my face looks but how my body looks. I have naturally broad/athletic looking shoulders, and I'm sort of tall. I liked how my long hair "disguised" that bit of me and made me look much more feminine in my opinion. But I think it's all up to the individual person's combination of features and hair type and color that makes ones style look good or not :)

bumblebums
January 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Personally i do not look good with a blunt cut. I have a long narrow face and a blunt cut makes me feel and look something like an ugly horse :o. (dont get me wrong horses are incredibly beautiful but they can keep their face for themselves :D).

Maybe horses look so beautiful because they have fairy tale ends! :)

Heidi_234
January 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Maybe I'm misreading (again :o), but how the shape of the hemline has anything to do with the shape of the face? It's really back there on the... back, when your hair is BSL-ish or waist or classic, it still looks the same around the face. So how would layers change it? :?

FrannyG
January 15th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Maybe I'm misreading (again :o), but how the shape of the hemline has anything to do with the shape of the face? It's really back there on the... back, when your hair is BSL-ish or waist or classic, it still looks the same around the face. So how would layers change it? :?

I think that the point is that some people feel that they look better with layers around the face. Having blunt hair would mean no face-framing layers.

To the OP: I love blunt hair on anyone, personally. I did cut some bangs for myself though, as I feel more comfortable with them.

I say throw out all of the "rules", and wear your hair the way you like it.

If I listened to what the experts say, I wouldn't have hair below my shoulders at my age. :shrug: Forget the so-called experts. Make yourself happy.

Katze
January 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Well, my sister looks weird with really long hair that has no layers or bangs, because she has a narrow face and pointy chin and big nose. With bangs she looks really cute! I tend to prefer myself with bangs but can't be bothered to cut them back in since it takes so much thickness away from my already thin hair.

Personally I know I look bad with my hair all slicked back, and I find many people do look 'cheap' this way, or too stern (I am talking about people I see in real life and especially the 'slicked back into a high ponytail look' which always looks trashy to me, sorry). When my hair is slicked back it calls attention to my sagging face and dark circles under my eyes. Plus all the layers and new growth stick out all over the place so I look like a drowned rat.

The point is to find something that makes you happy and, I think, to make the best out of what you have. Especially as you get older!

this is just my opinion and in no way meant as disrespect to anyone! :)

Carolyn
January 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Since long blunt cut hair is my favorite, I tend to think it looks good on everyone. Does that makes sense? That's the kind of hair that stops me in my tracks for a second look. Long ago I decided that if I like something, whether it's hair or clothing, and I wear it with confidence, I'll look good in it. The question is do I care who thinks I look good? No I don't. If I look in the mirror and am happy with what I see, then I look good. I'm sure the beauty and style experts would come up with dozens of reasons for me not to have blunt cut waist length hair. Well ya know what? Screw 'em :gabigrin: I like what I like and that's what I'm going with.

florenonite
January 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I disagree. I have really thick hair and, while I get the dreaded pyramid-head when my hair is shoulder-length to about APL, when it's long it's weighted down and isn't triangular anymore.

I think all body types look good with long, blunt hair. I much prefer larger women with longer hair than shorter hair because it balances the proportions, yet at the same time I have yet to see a small woman look overshadowed by her hair :shrug:

However, I do not think I have the face shape for long, blunt, centre-parted hair, because my face is really long and narrow. However, I can wear a side-part, and I think that wearing my hair up makes it look less long than having shoulder-length hair down.

Heidi_234
January 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I think that the point is that some people feel that they look better with layers around the face. Having blunt hair would mean no face-framing layers.
Thank you, that's a good point. I guess for me, face framing layers have nothing to do with the rest of the hair. But that makes sense. Good to see you back Franny. :flower:

heidihug
January 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Me, too, GlennaGirl.

For me, it makes not a tiniest bit of difference how my hair is cut - blunt, U-shaped, whatever. Because no one sees the ends except for my family, I wear my hair up 364 days a year. And updos may not look the best on me with my big oval-shaped face, but I like them the best, so that is how I wear my hair.

Buddaphlyy
January 15th, 2010, 08:31 AM
In general, I do think people should do what they want with their hair, but I also won't deny that some hair cuts look better on some people than others. Just like certain styles and hair colors.

Merkaba
January 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
No, I have a square face, and blunt bangs and ends make me look like a box. Blunt cuts look best on people with oval or round faces. This may not always be true, but it follows traditional beauty advice and casual observation.

Hiriel
January 15th, 2010, 08:51 AM
In general, I do think people should do what they want with their hair, but I also won't deny that some hair cuts look better on some people than others. Just like certain styles and hair colors.
Yep. Some styles just don't work on some people. Like me with a fringe. I have seen pictures to prove it...

Pixna
January 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I say throw out all of the "rules", and wear your hair the way you like it.

If I listened to what the experts say, I wouldn't have hair below my shoulders at my age. :shrug: Forget the so-called experts. Make yourself happy.

I totally agree!! According to the "experts," I probably don't look good in almost any hairstyle and I'm over-the-hill for long hair. I say phooey!! The only expert that matters is ME (or in your case, YOU!). :smirk:

Hey, Franny! Not sure if you remember me from way back when (when I had my old Bozo avatar), but it's great to see you! :waving:

forgetmenotak
January 15th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Since long blunt cut hair is my favorite, I tend to think it looks good on everyone. Does that makes sense? That's the kind of hair that stops me in my tracks for a second look. Long ago I decided that if I like something, whether it's hair or clothing, and I wear it with confidence, I'll look good in it. The question is do I care who thinks I look good? No I don't. If I look in the mirror and am happy with what I see, then I look good. I'm sure the beauty and style experts would come up with dozens of reasons for me not to have blunt cut waist length hair. Well ya know what? Screw 'em :gabigrin: I like what I like and that's what I'm going with.

You didn't cut your hair, did you?:shocked: I hope not I liked your length!

I think long blunt hair looks the best, doesn't matter face shape or body type. With thick hair it looks the best when it is getting weighted down by length. Just my opinion.

Crazycatlady
January 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Anybody remember when Julia Roberts cut her hair short a few years ago?? Wow...short hair was NOT for her even though she has a beautiful face and body to go with it. Not really sure how that applies here (ha!) but it just came to mind after reading all the above comments.

I definately think you have to be comfortable in your own shoes, so to speak. A style does have to "feel" right for you to really pull it off.

rogue_psyche
January 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
My personal opinion is that when people say things like that, it is only because they want to be the only one 'pulling off' that look, and so they discourage others from really trying. In middle school I kept asking a friend of mine with layered hair if she thought layers would look good in my hair and she always had a reason my they wouldn't. I think it was something about how the ends of my hair would want to flip out all the time. Layers were just becoming 'in' and she was one of the few girls that made the switch from blunter hems to layers, so I'm sure she was trying to keep the throne. Well, layers turned out not being right for my hair, but because of how much it accentuated the relative thinness of my hair.

mrs_b
January 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Since long blunt cut hair is my favorite, I tend to think it looks good on everyone. Does that makes sense?

Yes, yes, yes, it does :thumbsup:
This is exactly my opinion but in my previous post I couldn't express it so clearly as you did. :bowtome:

PS It is obvious that I like smilies, is it? :rollin:

Liss
January 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I think that face shape is only really relevant on short haired people. In my opinion, everyone looks fabulous with long hair! Face shapes tend to concern bangs/fringe and partings.

I don't really think that body type affects the look of long hair, blunt or otherwise. I do think that the thickness and the form of the hair can make the difference between 'pretty' and 'amazing' of a long blunt cut.

I think straight hair carries a blunt cut better than curly hair, while curly hair has an increase in the body of the curl when it is layered. Thick straight hair can look really good in layers, but fine/thin straight hair can look transparent when it has long layers.

I don't really think there are any specific hard rules, and if there are, well aren't rules made to be broken?

Kimberly
January 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
In a short layered cut I end up with cherubic curls that really flatter my face. But then I don't get to DO anything with it . . . no hair toys, no new updos to learn, no playing with the ends and being able to look at my own curls without a mirror, and I have to wash it more often if it's short. Bah. In a blunt cut, well, my hair fairytales fast, so once my hair's at any length I can't really maintain a blunt cut anyhow. Does it flatter my body shape? I really don't care. It's up in a bun or braided most of the time, and when it's not its strong points aren't how it looks in a still picture or while I'm staring in the mirror . . . it's how it moves and what it does when a breeze hits it or tendrils get out of the bun.

Besides, even though short layers might flatter my face, I like an overall timeless look (think sometimes I dress almost like the Amish, just because I like it). There's something centering about it . . . it makes me happy.

Natalia
January 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe horses look so beautiful because they have fairy tale ends! :)

True! Though i think they look very beautiful on many many people here as far as my hair the horses can keep those too :). They certainly pull them off beautifully :D