PDA

View Full Version : Canopy is A-OK, under? Not so much.

coscass
January 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I've wondered this for a long time. In my before pictures, you can clearly see the curl was on top, while the underside just sort of frizzed and puffed all over. It's gotten MUCH better, but it still seems to do that. It's as if the under layer is straight, but sort of..poofy, while the top is curly. I'd like my curls to be more defined, but I don't have the time or patience to go through each clump of hair and separate curls.

Could changing my routine help? I've been risning the condish all out, and then re-applying it (it's a waste, but I like to control how much goes into my hair), scrunching a few times, then just letting it dry. Perhaps putting it up in a bun, or would that trap all the moisture inside? I'm not overly dissatisified with my hair, just a bit irked atm.

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
To better define the curls, I divide my hair into 2 or more sections and twirl the section around and around as it dries ( a few times, not continually). More sections gives smaller curls but are not necessary to encourage the curl to form. A little product helps too, like gel or curl creme or a TINY dab of coconut oil. It's not very time-consuming so you might give this a try if you haven't already.

RocketDog
January 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I have the opposite problem - a frizzy canopy and lovely defined curls underneath - and I do something similar to SpiderMom to encourage the curl and twist/scrunch my hair as it dries, usually after wetting my fingers so the frizzy hairs clump up together.

SlightlySoprano
January 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I have almost the exact same problem. For whatever reason my canopy is crazy curly, but my under layers are almost pin straight, and won't hold a curl for anything! I've almost given up...

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have straight areas that won't hold a curl, too. My hair is crazy and mixed up.

OleanderTime
January 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
This won't be a helpful comment at all, but I think it's so funny that you canopy is in seemingly better shape than your underside. Mine is the opposite, and I always figured that the canopy was more damaged because it's more subject to wind and sun, etc. Now that I see that the opposite is possible (and how could that be from damage?), it makes me think maybe it's just natural that my hair has this difference. Hmmmm.

**HUNDREDTH POST!** :)

coscass
January 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
My canopy has its frizzies, but I've been told over and over it's not in bad shape, considering what I used to do to it. ( Blow fry daily, flat iron, leave up in a tight, twisted, messy bun that I'd sleep on for a week). Go figure.

And yay, congrats on 100th post!

spidermom
January 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
This won't be a helpful comment at all, but I think it's so funny that you canopy is in seemingly better shape than your underside. Mine is the opposite, and I always figured that the canopy was more damaged because it's more subject to wind and sun, etc. Now that I see that the opposite is possible (and how could that be from damage?), it makes me think maybe it's just natural that my hair has this difference. Hmmmm.

**HUNDREDTH POST!** :)

My canopy and under-side both sustain about equal damage. I think the under-side gets damaged from rubbing across my clothes when I leave it down or braided, and the canopy gets weathered. The hair in-between is in good shape, though.