PDA

View Full Version : The grass is always greener ...

freckles
January 14th, 2010, 04:44 AM
... so I thought it would be fun to list advantages of the hair types we HAVE, in celebration of who we are.
Sometimes I get so down thinking of the hair type I would LIKE, and it's pointless because I can't change it! So I thought we could talk about what we LIKE about our OWN hairtypes, and maybe if we can't think of something, other people could chime in :)

I really don't want this to be interpreted/turned into bashing other hairtypes, but a recognition that all hairtypes are great, and all have certain advantages, and to get people happy about what luck threw at us :)

So I'll start ...

I have CURL ENVY to a high degree (curls are beautiful <3). And I have poker-straight hair. But now that I know how many curlies have to be careful with brushing/combing in order to avoid frizz, I have a new appreciation for my hair. It doesn't know the meaning of the word frizz, and LOVES being combed. And I love the smooth look when it's all neatly brushed out.

I ADORE the look of thick hair, down. And I adore the complex styles that can be created with it up (I just don't really have enough hair for some of the very complex, start-with-multiple-braids stuff). And thick braids look amazing! But I really value that my thin-ish hair reaches the right length to do certain styles more quickly, and it also seems from some stuff I've read here that it's probably easier/quicker to contain my thin hair. So, I am learning to appreciate that quality :)

The only one I'm stuck on is being a 'finey'. My hair breaks so easily and I can't think of ANY advantages to fine hair :( Anyone want to help me out?

I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone. :blossom: Join in! :D

Othala
January 14th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I have thick, coarse hair that is virtually indestructible.

If I ever have to mend or stitch anything and have run out of thread, I use one of my tough old hairs as thread.

My hair also comes in 4 distinct colours - black, white, dark brown and reddish brown - so I can usually find a hair to match the fabric (not blues and purples of course!).

Arctic
January 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM
... so I thought it would be fun to list advantages of the hair types we HAVE, in celebration of who we are.
Sometimes I get so down thinking of the hair type I would LIKE, and it's pointless because I can't change it! So I thought we could talk about what we LIKE about our OWN hairtypes, and maybe if we can't think of something, other people could chime in :)

I really don't want this to be interpreted/turned into bashing other hairtypes, but a recognition that all hairtypes are great, and all have certain advantages, and to get people happy about what luck threw at us :)

So I'll start ...

I have CURL ENVY to a high degree (curls are beautiful <3). And I have poker-straight hair. But now that I know how many curlies have to be careful with brushing/combing in order to avoid frizz, I have a new appreciation for my hair. It doesn't know the meaning of the word frizz, and LOVES being combed. And I love the smooth look when it's all neatly brushed out.

I ADORE the look of thick hair, down. And I adore the complex styles that can be created with it up (I just don't really have enough hair for some of the very complex, start-with-multiple-braids stuff). And thick braids look amazing! But I really value that my thin-ish hair reaches the right length to do certain styles more quickly, and it also seems from some stuff I've read here that it's probably easier/quicker to contain my thin hair. So, I am learning to appreciate that quality :)

The only one I'm stuck on is being a 'finey'. My hair breaks so easily and I can't think of ANY advantages to fine hair :( Anyone want to help me out?

What a great idea!!!

I have an envy of fine hair. My own hair used to be fine (and straight), but it has changed to a coarser over the recent years. I also have lot of wiry hairs now. I miss my fine hair as it was always so smooth and soft and shiny, and very easy to take care of and style.

I am learning to love my natural hair as it is. I have learned to love the waves already, and the volume my hair has and it has become thicker looking since individual hairs are thicker and it has lot of body.

It took over a year to learn to appreciate the waves after they appeared, because I was so used to being a straightie. What made it a bit difficult for me, is that I have different textures in my hair, some parts are about 1b and some about 2b. I have learned to work with it and it looks great!

I am also liking my own colour which I am growing out. It is ashy medium brown and looks like bronze :) It has lot of variation and natural high lights and some strands are even dark golden.

What I struggle with is to find good things about my wiry hairs. I am determined to accept them and to learn to like them, but it seems like a very long process. I'd like some help and fresh ideas from others, please!
So far I have thought:

- they are usually quite thick
--> making the hair as a whole look thicker (because they have lot of volume too)
--> they might be stronger than other hairs (or maybe not?)
- they have an interesting shine, like sparkling, glittering shine
- They are wild, bohemian and independent.

bumblebums
January 14th, 2010, 06:34 AM
My hair has gotten curlier over the years, from about 1c to 2c. I sometimes miss the straight hair, but wurly hair has more body and bounce. Plus, it straightens out after a few days anyway.

The fineness of individual strands is not something I am ever going to love, I think. It's interesting how "fine" is generally a positive adjective, whereas "coarse" has negative connotations outside of hair talk. If someone can identify a good thing about fine hair, fire away!

RavennaNight
January 14th, 2010, 06:39 AM
My hair has smoothed itself to a 1B/C over the past few years, and I love it. Because of henna I haven't had any frizz, I can just wash, comb, and go. I liked my waves, but am completely satisfied with my straighter texture. My hair is also resillient, as it withstood many years of dyeing with box dye and ironing and is still in one piece. I am eternally grateful that I ended up with indestructo-hair.

pinkbunny
January 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I think the one good thing about fine hair is it's softness. I've had many people ask to touch it (which can get weird sometimes, but whatever) and they always comment on how soft it is.

Liss
January 14th, 2010, 06:47 AM
My hair is fine and thin, it always has been and I'm guessing it always will be. As much as I will probably always have a secret little bit of curl and thickness envy, I appreaciate the ease of maintaining what I have.

Pixna
January 14th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have thick, coarse hair that is virtually indestructible.

If I ever have to mend or stitch anything and have run out of thread, I use one of my tough old hairs as thread.

My hair also comes in 4 distinct colours - black, white, dark brown and reddish brown - so I can usually find a hair to match the fabric (not blues and purples of course!).

WOW!!! That is really cool, Othala!!!

Let's see... My hair is getting very, very silvery. When I put it up (in a half-up or a bun), the silvers are VERY noticeable and VERY extensive. I'm starting to like them -- I know people would pay good money for this type of "frosting" or "streaking," and I get it for free! :smirk:

My hair is very soft. It is also somewhat chameleon-like in that it can be wavy and poofy one day and straightish and flatter the next. Its texture and volume give me a lot of options (and there will be even more options available once it gets longer).

InTheCity
January 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Interesting topic.

I think most of us want something else in terms of hair (or looks, or body, or whatever) than we currently have. That's life.

For me, the biggest sticking point is thickness. My circumference is only 2.5 and it tapers to nothing. It was a sad day when I realized it wasn't only extensions for length that made certain celeb's hair look the way I wanted mine to - it's extensions for thickness as well. Sad!

Sometimes my texture makes me batty too. I used to have curly hair, now I have confused hair. On the left it's wavy, in the back it's almost straight and behind my right ear I have ringlets. Can someone explain that?

I can't wear my hair curly anymore, since it falls flat in 24 hours. But it's not straight enough to be "straight" so to make it look acceptable, I have to let it dry tight against my head. Any free drying equals major frizz. Plus no matter what I try, it never looks good after I wash it. It takes a day or two to look good.

Spike
January 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I have finally come to appreciate my waves and volume. I spend lat childhood in the 70's doing everything I could to persuade it to lie poker-straight, and the 80's cursing my lack of natural curl.

Now I have hair that wurls when it's in the mood, that is big without blow-drying or curling irons, that sneers at volumizing shampoo/conditioner.

Somewhere I recall reading that the ideal Edwardian hair was wavy, since it could be pinned up loosely and would bush out on its own, so you didn't need quite so much padding and teasing to get the "three heads of hair on one person" effect. Huzzah!!! My hair is Edwardian. I'm just living in the wrong era. :cheese:

Dark Rosaleen
January 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hair used as thread, now that's cool.

Anyway, I definetly have days where I long for thick hair, as my own is rather fine. But I do like my waves, especially now that they are coming back since I've stopped using henna.

My natural color is also looking very pretty as I'm beginning to see it once more. It's a medium brown with golden highlights, as well as a few silver sparklers woven in here and there.

pinchbeck
January 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Sometimes my texture makes me batty too. I used to have curly hair, now I have confused hair. On the left it's wavy, in the back it's almost straight and behind my right ear I have ringlets. Can someone explain that? How funny! My hair is multi-textured too. It is very wavy underneath and straighter on my canopy. In addition, one side is wavier than the other and I pointed that out in my photo albums. I wonder if this is common? I suppose we're going to see if we are the only oddballs here.

Isa-belle
January 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I would so much love my hair to be wavier (2C or even 3A...). On the other hand, it would look shorter if it had a more defined wave, and it would take more time to grow it to classic/thigh.

babybabycat
January 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
My thin hair:
dries fast
gets golden highlights
easy to braid

BUT, the grass is always greener on the other side, I want fuller hair, thicker hair, longer hair!!

pinchbeck
January 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Although, my hair isn't Rapunzel-length, I am pleased where it's at now. In addition, I like its subtle waves, colour (with the exception of silvers coming in), and texture and am happy that it suits me.

aprilmay
January 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I have fairly thick, straight hair with a slight wave at the nape of my neck. My hair grows quickly, it is on the dry side and it resists being controlled. My hair gets tangled and needs to be brushed at least twice daily. Fortunately, I can get away with washing my hair about once a week before it looks greasy, but I start to feel like it smells bad. I love it long, but not too long. I like to keep it waist/hip length. I don't want to sit on it.

When I was a teenager, I permed my hair and it took the curl well, but became even more dried out. I like the look of smooth, shiny, straight hair, but mine always looks a bit messy.

Pixna
January 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
How funny! My hair is multi-textured too. It is very wavy underneath and straighter on my canopy. In addition, one side is wavier than the other and I pointed that out in my photo albums. I wonder if this is common? I suppose we're going to see if we are the only oddballs here.

Another oddball here! :roll: Looks like we need to figure out the benefits of having multi-personality hair!

Masara
January 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
My hair is fine and thin. I always envy people with coarser, thicker hair.
But I can do updos with much shorter hair and the fineness means that it tends to stay under control which means that my updos look smoother.

I would love to have hair that is either truely wavy or truely straight and not something in between. When it was short, no style would stay in all day. it would do its own thing but the lack of wave meant it fell flat. But long, that's an advantage. It will go into nearly any updo but it's not too slippery.

Sabayon
January 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
My thin hair:
dries fast
gets golden highlights
easy to braid

BUT, the grass is always greener on the other side, I want fuller hair, thicker hair, longer hair!!

Don't underestimate the advantage of drying fast, my hair takes 6 hours to dry and the one time I tried to blowfry I gave up after 30 minutes.

BUT I love my thick hair anyway, and how it looks like my hair is so much longer when I put it up. I love that it looks like rope when I braid it.

My hair used to be baby fine but now is slightly coarser (maybe due to henna, and now I'm not using that anymore so it may be fine again). I like the way fine hair feels like strands of silk, but I like my slightly more resilient f/m hair. I love the way the halo hairs from my fine blond hair really do look like a halo.

I love my wavy hair for giving my hair enough texture to style easily and for making my hair look more romantic and soft. Also for not being so curly I have a massive frizz factor, since I seem to always live in humid/moist climates (even though I've always wanted super curly hair).

rags
January 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
This is a challenge for me, as my hair is baby baby fine and thin. Let's see -

I love that it dries quickly (especially now with it so cold)
I love how soft it is (there's one advantage for fine hair!)
I love that I can detangle it when I do have tangles in about a minute because it's fine and thin
I love that I can already do many different updos at APL

Hmm, that's about it, I think. I could make a much longer list of what I disliked about it though!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
my hair's:
-split-free, even if it's waist length with bleached out ends.
-very thick.
-you can curl my hair by twisting a strand around your finger for a few seconds :D
-grows pretty fast.
-very low maintenance. can go a month without wash :D
- i love sexy waves. i'd feel so much depressed with slick straight hair. (the only times i straighten is because i'm going for more length, nothing more)

boomygrrl
January 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Great idea for a discussion.

I love my curly hair. I used to hate it, but now I know what to do with it.
My hair can frizz at times, but I've kept it to a minimum with leave-in conditioners. I now don't mind a little frizz, so it all works out. The frizz kind of adds a little texture to my hair, if that makes sense. It isn't perfectly smoothe, and to me, that actually makes it look "hair-like" (no offense to perfectly smoothe, I know that's the in-thing now)
My hair is fine in texture but there's a lot of it. I like that it's soft, and I get compliments about it being soooo soft.
I too have multiple-personality hair. My hair is mostly 3a/3b but my hair underneath (that touches my neck) is stick straight. Weird, huh? But I like it. And here's why? It feels silky around my neck...no itchies from curly hair rubbing up against my neck. It's like a natural barrier.
I've got greys that are covered mostly from hairdye, but you know how that goes? They are the first to expose themselves when the dye fades. And that's okay, because it does add a shine and sparkle to my hair until my lazy behind is ready to color again (I don't feel the need to hide my roots often until it gets too obvious in my mind)...so I enjoy the little bit of grey that shows up for the time I let it show.
I have grown to love my hair the past few years. i used to hate it and abuse it (unknowingly). Now, my hair and I have a love affair that I hope will last us til death do us part. :-)

MandyBeth
January 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I love my fine hair because it's so soft. Sure it breaks and doesn't tolerate much abuse - but it's incredibly soft and even with short hair, people want to pet it because it looks and feels like silk so I've been told.

I love the thickness of my hair. I can do half ups and it looks pretty still without weird thin spots or too small of a tail.

My frizzies just give me a halo. I'm sticking with that, since the fine hair will never stop breaking no matter what, so I'm always going to have frizz.

My current texture is just so agreeable. It's not stick straight, but it's not something I've got to rein in with every washing. Wash, dry, comb out - go. No problems.

I LOVE my henna color. I love being a red head.

Juneii
January 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
what I like about my hair:
it rarely ever tangles because it's so straight. I can get out of the shower with tangled hair from all the washing and let it air dry and it would de-tangle itself. that and straight hair looks longer than curly hair because 24 inches of straight hair can be BSL while 24 inches of curly hair could only be shoulder length at best.
I also like the thickness of my hair, it makes my buns look bigger - like I have longer hair XD

what I don't like about my hair:
it's too boring, when I put it up it doesn't look as elegant and pretty as someone with curly hair. I like the curly little tendrils that falls out.
I don't like the dark color it's SUPER hot during the summer when you're under dark hair, it actually burns when I touch it.

Heidi_234
January 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I like my 2c/3a because it can anything from 2something to 3something, depends on how I air dry it. And I like the way it turns into dreadcurls when I air dry it in a ropebraid. They are the coolest, and I've never seen anybody else's hair doing it. I like the way the curliness hides my thin ends, I'm sure they would be much more visible if my hair was straighter.

I'll always be envious of straight hair though, for the lack of frizz and shrinkage, and being easier to manage. ;)

girlcat36
January 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I am totally envious of those of you with straight thick hair! I think that would make life soooo much easier!

I have 3a hair. I guess that's good because the curls disguise the thinness of my hair---most of the time.
My hair is fine. That means it is very soft; but then it is too soft to hold a curl! Wah! My hair really wants to be 3b, but is too wimpy to hold the curl pattern.
Seriously, the length is almost straightwith an itty bitty 3b curl on the ends.
My hair is thin, 2.5" ponytail. Good thing about that is waaaay less product, and a 2 hour drying time.

MandyBeth
January 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Ok, that is now my biggest jealousy - those of you with short drying time.

If my SHORT hair is down, it'll air dry in roughly 6 hours.

If I put anything up damp, it will stay damp. 24 hours later, it's still damp and the "inside" has barely dried at all.

I can not blowfry my hair on my own. It won't get done. I've never had a stylist be able to dry my hair in under 45 minutes. Tho' I suppose that's not a horrid thing as since I can't do it, I'm not tempted to do so.

Yeah, now never mind how much it breaks on me. The fact it doesn't dry is now my irk :)

Honey39
January 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I want fine, silk hair, ideally straight

I love light, fine silky hair, it's so pretty
You can run your fingers through it
You can comb it!
You can brush it
It's more reliable to look good

I have thick, wurly hair that's creeping towards waist
It can look amazing if everything works
It takes a lot of abuse/product - don't have to worry about over-doing it
I like the fact that my natural curls are long ringlets - it's pretty and unusual
It's warm in winter...!

Pierre
January 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I like the way my hair is curly enough to hold a braid for a few days after I sleep a night with it.

I like the way the waves turn into tight curls at the ends. They're soft, so I like to squish the curls and stroke my cheek with them.

I like the way it's thicker at the sides. It makes for some distinctive hairstyles.

Bellalalala
January 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm Scandinavian but I live in Canada. As a result, my hair has a bazillion different colours in it. My hair is brown because I get very little sun, but after only a brief time in the sun, my natural high-lights bleach out very quickly.
The effect is beautiful and really emphasizes my waves.

My individual hairs are extremely thin, but my hair has a lot of body, so it looks full, but takes very little time to dry.

My hair looks best with either baking soda and lemon juice or just water only, so my product costs are next to nothing. Also, it styles best with velcro rollers, which don't cause heat damage. Yay!

My hair doesn't stand out, it's just APL, it's just brown (no crazy colour), it doesn't have a distinctive cut, but I still get compliments on it all-the-time!!!

I've fought, damaged, and cursed my hair into being something it's not for over a decade, and now I've finally realized that it's gorgeous naturally.

I found a very very old photo of me at 13 before I started killing my hair, and it was hip-length and stunning.

Keildra
January 14th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I love that the ends of my braids have a natural curl like thing
I love how my curl makes my hair look like it has way more volume than it really does]
I love how my braid waves naturally don't have dead ends
I love how (I know it's conceited of me but,) people come up to me and ask me how I get my hair to curl like that and I get to say "it's natural", same goes for color too

ah but the things I hate
I hate frizz
I hate how it's hard to get a style right because of odd angled hairs
I hate how most of my hair falls out in the shower

but you know I think I can get over it all

Othala
January 16th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think the one good thing about fine hair is it's softness. I've had many people ask to touch it (which can get weird sometimes, but whatever) and they always comment on how soft it is.

So true, so true. DBF's hair is as fine as mine is coarse. He is at the extreme of fineness and his hair is like filaments of silk that are thinner than a cobweb. Quite beautiful!

Carolyn
January 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm a 1C and have often whined that it's either too straight or too wavy. I really prefer it straight and I am glad that I can easily make it straight with a little brushing. I love being a blonde even though I have to have the silvers covered up now. I've never had a desire to be any other color. With my hair type I don't have frizz. I'm finally happy with my hair length after a lifetime of always wanting longer hair.

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I like my hair as its very soft and I like my wave in the back. Its very fine but not thin.
Id like the spirals I have in the front to have a word with those in the back and id love thicker hair. Overal i am pretty happy with my hair, a bit more length wouldnt go a misss though!

Fiferstone
January 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
The main advantage to being a finey to me is the lack of weight. I won't have the same weight issue at terminal as someone with thicker, heavier hair. I also won't have a ginormous bun, so I can hide in plain sight with my hair up and not trigger random people who feel it is their god-given right to criticize total strangers' hair to tell me I'd look better with it short, or that I should donate it to LOL.

The main disadvantage to being a finey is lack of volume and the fragility, it'll never look like a lot of gorgeous hair, it'll just look long. I also have to baby it always, damage always shows immediately. I'm learning to love it for itself and not wish it were something else.

Sammich
January 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have major envy of Curly and fine hair. Curly because my hair only has a slight wave and I always try to sort of... make it wavier, you know just.. clarifying and using no cones nowadays. @_@... seems to be working kinda. *Sigh* People still ask me if I straighten, it's a sad reminder! :)
But anywho, I've always loved fine hair because my father has such fine fine super soft hair... he doesn't have to do much to keep it soft. It's gotten thinner over the years because of his thyroid problem though. :(

Anyway, my hairtype is very very smooth (But I'm a strange person because I don't fancy the smooth look(At least on my hair) Haha! and it is virtually indestructable, I have dyed it so so many times over a period of 6 years... and it's still alive and shiny and bouncy! :) I'm also quite happy at the fact I have a bit of these strange waves around my hair. :)... and I love the thickness from previously... makes it so voluminous!

freckles
January 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
wow, thanks all for contributing to this thread :D and thankyou to those who mentioned benefits of fine hair, definitely some stuff to think about :)

PorcelainHorror
January 18th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I like how my thin hair dries within 45 minutes to an hour.
And how it doesn't make me extra hot in the 115 degree summers we have here.

I just wish it was tougher against split ends and dye. :/
OT, but can henna be used to dye honey colored hair to jet black? I want to stop using box dyes so bad.

blueroses79
January 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I love the underside of my hair, near my nape, which is fine and soft. And I love that it has waves; before puberty it was just straight and fine (and cut into a mullet that I hated!). I feel like my hair's shape & texture suits my personality perfectly.

I envy the genuinely curly, though. The result of someone Deva-styling my hair at a salon was a mop of confused-looking snakes. :( I keep hoping that if I do the right thing I'll start getting spirals at the ends....but not yet.

elina333
January 18th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I have fine (but lots and lots of) wavy hair. I used to hate it cuz all my friends had nice, smooth hair. But as I get older Im really starting to love my hair! Its kinda dry which I realize now is nice cuz I dont have to wash it very often. I get loads of volume with minimal effort and I can get that "bed hair" just by running my fingers through it. One of my best friends have long, shiney, soft, thick and lustrous hair and Im sooo envious! But Im starting to like my hair as it is anyways. Hers isnt better, its just different! ;)

AgnesONutter
January 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have hair that never is quite the same from day to day. Some days, I manage to bring out the natural wave and can find a curl or two in there. Some days it will be stick straight. Some days it will be flat. Some days it will pouff. Some days it is silk, some days just a tangled mess. My hair is a living thing, even if people claim hair is dead matter. :)

The reason to this behaviour is that my hair is truly mixed. There is the silky, thin, straight strands of blonde and the wiry strands of dark copper and the strands of brown metals in between. Depending on weather and how I let my hair dry, I do get different effects.

I like my hair, because it is the best possible. Since it is neither fine nor coarse, neither wavy, straight nor curly, neither one colour or the other I can have the straight, fine, silky, thick hair one day if I brush it and the charmingly unruly, loosely pinned up with a bit of loose strands the next. It also takes on a more curly attitude easily, when I do pin curls or braid.

It can take forever to dry, especially if I put it up while it is still wet. But if I have it down, and remember to ruffle it gently every now and then, usually it is almost completely dry within two hours.

Did I say I love my hair, that aspires to so much, but is not quite one thing?

GlassEyes
January 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I like how my thin hair dries within 45 minutes to an hour.
And how it doesn't make me extra hot in the 115 degree summers we have here.

I just wish it was tougher against split ends and dye. :/
OT, but can henna be used to dye honey colored hair to jet black? I want to stop using box dyes so bad.

It can, with help from indigo. If you ever decide to go back to blonde, however, you won't be able to lighten it. It's quite permanent, and leaves a green stain if you bleach or strip it.

I've grown to like my curls somewhat, but they're so DAMN expensive. *grumble*

Elspeth30
January 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
What an awesome thread.

Like many of you, I have changeable hair both in color and texture. If I wash it at night it is curly enough in the morning to make people ask me if I permed it but after a few days it calms down until it is sleek and almost straight.

I have a love/hate relationship with the frizz. It can be a fun look because I love vintage styles.

My hair is very healthy due to gentle care even if it is thinning. I love how it feels.

LadyNihilia
January 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I like how my hair looks like it's been brushed even if didn't brush it. I like how my natural hair color has darkened over the years and I like how it has a neat red coloring to it in the sun. Also, despite wanting my hair to be black all my life I'm finally starting to appreciate the little blonde streaks that show up here and there amongst all the brown.

Twil
January 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
My hair has such great elasticity that I can headbang/shake/rattle/roll for as long as I want and they'll sproing neatly back into place!

UP Lisa
January 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I spent a lot of years wishing for thicker hair. Also for a scalp that wasn't oily. Well, I can't change either, and I'm thankful that I have hair.

I like the color and the softness of my hair. I also like the shine. I don't have any gray yet, so I'm thankful for that.

My hair is much longer than I ever dreamed it could ever be, so I love that! I only wish I could wear it down without it tangling up.

For whoever said they would like fine hair that they could run their fingers through - I have never been able to do that. My fingers run into a tangle before they get started. My hair seems to stick together like glue.

gnegirl
January 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
My hair was coarse when i was younger, its gotten fine in my middle age. I still am guilty of curl envy. I used to spiral-perm my hair until one time when parts of it broke off at my scalp leaving lovely bald patches that thankfully grew back in.

I still want hair that bends... even just a teeny bit.

Alcenaia
January 19th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I really like the look of those perfectly formed ringlets that start midway down hair, but my hair is flat. Not going to happen without styling. :shrug:

I like that my hair is not heavy and I'm a fan of my natural color. :) And I like that it's long!

GoddesJourney
January 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
For the OP... Fine hair always feels like silk. Furthermore, it's great for high updos. My hair is coarse and stuck in its ways. If I try to pull it back too high, I end up with all the bumps and weird cowlick looking things regardless of brushing or combing. I get some luck if it's wet, but that's it. Anyway, it's my understanding that fine hair is more maleable and doesn't do this as much. However, I love that my hair doesn't tangle (unless it's damaged). On that note, fine damaged hair just breaks off. Thick individual strands are capable of some amazing 3"+ splits that look more like trees or roots than a simple wishbone.

frizzalot
January 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
i like my naturally dark hair colour and not getting much splits.

I wish it wasn't so frizzy, especially the halo of new growth near my scalp.

pinkbunny
January 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
For the OP... Fine hair always feels like silk. Furthermore, it's great for high updos. My hair is coarse and stuck in its ways. If I try to pull it back too high, I end up with all the bumps and weird cowlick looking things regardless of brushing or combing. I get some luck if it's wet, but that's it. Anyway, it's my understanding that fine hair is more maleable and doesn't do this as much. However, I love that my hair doesn't tangle (unless it's damaged). On that note, fine damaged hair just breaks off. Thick individual strands are capable of some amazing 3"+ splits that look more like trees or roots than a simple wishbone.

Actually, it's not completely true. I have super-fine hair, but because of a cowlick one side lays flatter than the other when pulled back, so I have to wet it or look like I have a lop-sided head lol
/end hijack

CrisDee
January 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Ooh, this is a great thread!

I love my fine (but a LOT of it!), fairly straight, mostly tangle-free hair texture - what's bugging me right now is the length, or lack thereof. So I guess my assignment for this thread will be to find things about my current length that I like.

Ok - I like that it doesn't get in my face. I'm not having to extract long hairs from sweaters in the laundry. I can close the car door without leaning waaay to the right to avoid closing my hair in the door. The bathroom drain doesn't clog as often. No end of the day headaches from wearing my hair up all day.

But all those are very minor compared to the joy of having long hair.

Sigh....:-(

Bonkers57
January 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Same here. Wonder if we're related? :D I'm thankful I have hair, too.

I like the softness of my own hair and that it's natural color is very shiny. For being fine it's really strong and I never lose much hair. Since I've been at TLHC I've learned how to take better care of it, so it's looking better all the time. I don't have any grays either, yet. My mom said she didn't start going gray until she was in her 60s; guess I take after her.

I spent a lot of years wishing for thicker hair. Also for a scalp that wasn't oily. Well, I can't change either, and I'm thankful that I have hair.

I like the color and the softness of my hair. I also like the shine. I don't have any gray yet, so I'm thankful for that.

Toadstool
January 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I like that my hair is so thick and so strong that it is pretty difficult to damage - 2 hours of bleach usually does it though !:-(
I like that my hair grows quickly even though it doesn't always feel like it.
I like that henna has made it even stronger and a lovely red colour.
I like the ringlets that form at my temples when it's long enough.
Now grow hair grow!!

Felix_D
March 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Oh geez I've always hated my hair, so this is a challange.

I like that I don't have to brush it when it's wet. Its short enough to just dry on its own.
I like that I can easily alter my curl level from 1b up to 2b by just gently twisting the ends. It holds the curl very well.
I like that it's growing fairly quickly, especially around the crown. With all the tricks I've learned here, I'm growing a solid 1/2" every month, much faster than usual.

09robiha
March 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM
ooo i like the idea of this thread

Well...i have 2b/2c/3a combination all over my hair. I used to hate that it wasnt uniform but now i love it. If i want to show off the 3a spirals underneath i can do a half up. Curly hide so many mistakes and i love this. I can make them curlier. I can make them straighter. I can have a slightly wonky hemline and it not show up so bad. Also i have VERY porous hair that absorbs lots of colour when i dye it. But i like this as i get a few weeks of slightly darker colour and it alsways fades into a nice colour. :) wow didnt realise i liked so many things about my hair. I have learned to love it...it only took 17 years!!

FrannyG
March 11th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I love my fine hair, because it's so silky feeling. I love that it's straight, because it looks shiny in even minimal light.

countryhopper
March 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM

So I'll start ...

You and i are hair twins!

I totally agree about reaching hairstyles earlier, and also about not having to deal with frizz...

I don't mind having fine hair, but I'd like to have more of it!!

treesandcoffee
March 11th, 2010, 07:25 AM
This thread is perfect because I've been having the greatest hair days of my life the past few days.

My hair is thin and fine but people think it's thick because of all the curls. They can't believe how soft it is when they touch it. I guess I am lucky because I get the illusion of thick hair but my drying time is about an hour.

Since I began exclusively co-washing I never worry about frizz.

Curly hair is generally dry, so this means I hardly every have to wash it. My straight haired sister is super envious over that one.

I have 3B and 3C curls but the shrinkage isn't so bad. To be honest I'd rather have Shakira like volume than longer hair anyway.

My hair just began a growth spurt! I have gone from can I call this APL to a millimeter away from BSL in about two months (dry and curly at that!). I am excited to see if I will reach waist by this summer. My goal was to reach waist by May '11 for my wedding so this is GREAT!

MonikaHa
March 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I like that my hair never tangles. Even if it is waist long, I can always run my fingers through it.
I like that it dries very fast.
I like that it can take a lot of abuse or neglect, and still look great. (Bleach, color, no trim for a year)
I looove that it does not split. The ends may be dry as straw, but they just don't split.

I don't like how it grows in all directions. Left side turns inward, right side outward, back is straight. That's why it is best to keep it long.
I don't like my natural color. I don't like it so much, that I haven't seen it in years!

BTW, love this thread!

Garnet66
March 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I always have a lot of curl envy. But I know what goes into taking care of it properly. I'm much too lazy to take care of curly hair.

What I like about my hair is:

It recovers from damage reletively easy

I almost never have any splits (I'm sure that will change as it gets longer)

My drying time is only 1 1/2 hours

It's always shiney

It only tangles occasionally (another thing that will probably change when it gets longer)

I used to shed a ton but now I hardly ever see a shed hair

bumblebums
March 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
BTW, love this thread!

It IS a great thread. It makes me think of, "the first step towards recovery is self-acceptance" ...

Rhiannon7
March 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I love how soft and shiny my hair is. and the color is my favorite thing about it. now that i can see some waves i have started to love even more my hair. (i mean it's one thing to wish for curls when you have straight hair. but since i cannot have them i have started to love my unique and lovely hair.)

Hana
March 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
i suffer from the green eyed monster when i see long, thick, poker straight, shiny hair.
unf.

but then again, i've always loved tight ringlets. so... i dunno. guess im just after anything i dont have, haha!

Stormcast
March 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
What a neat idea!
Well, I must admit I have curl/wave envy as well!

My hair is blonde with natural highlights, but I love it anyway no matter how many blonde jokes I get hit with.

It's nice and wispy, but not enough to be actually fine/thin. It still has some weight to it.

Good for updos but also I can just wear it down with out having to do anything to it. (execpt maybe wash it LOL)

Lastly its soft, and fun to run my fingers through!

Kristin
March 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I love lots of things about my hair.

No matter the style or cut, my hair pretty much behaves and looks "nice."
Regardless of length or style, I consistently receive compliments about the shine, softness, and condition of my hair.
I like that my hair is just a little bit wavy; it's pretty.:)
I like that my hair is dark because it reminds me of how my mom's hair used to look when I was little.:o
I LOVE that I can go to sleep with damp hair and- though it never dries overnight:mad:- it is go to go after just running my fingers through it.
I do wish that my hair were looong already, but if that happened overnight I wouldn't have time to learn new hairstyles. And I certainly wouldn't appreciate having long hair if it happened instantly.

BTW, I really like this thread. :flower:

freckles
March 12th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I'm glad this thread is so popular :)

Woop to self-acceptance :)

HintOfMint
March 15th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm glad this thread exists :)

Truth be told, aside from envying the length of you ladies and gentlemen, I really love my hair as it is.

There, I said it. The horrible truth that few women seem to admit. I love my hair. Even the frizzies don't bug me. It's black, thick, with a little shine to it. Even when it's not shiny, it looks so dense and imposing. While curly hair and straight hair are beautiful, I love how my hair has Cosmo-girl/Victoria's Secret waves, and it does that from just a quick comb after my shower. I know I'm bragging and it's not the most ladylike thing to do, but hey, isn't this the thread for that?

I have noticed a common phenomenon amongst women. I am not saying it is universal, but it is common, or at least I have observed numerous instances of it. It is almost as if we are not SUPPOSED to love our appearance. We always have to complain about something. Invariably a friend leaps in with a compliment and then disparages something about herself. Even compliments are given with a touch of bitterness. "Your hair is so thick. I hate you." or "Eff you, you're so skinny." What am I supposed to say to that? I have my insecurities, but they're not common insecurities and when I'm really feeling down on myself, I prefer to have a frank discussion with my friends about my thoughts, instead of passively saying to the mirror, "I look like a chipmunk."

Sorry that kind of turned into a rant. :flower: This should be the place where we can openly celebrate our hair without sounding like self-important prats.

HintOfMint
March 15th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Edit (because I can't edit my posts yet)

When I said "The horrible truth that few women seem to admit," I meant women admitting they like their hair the way it is. This is in reference to what I described below, the behavior of socially-enforced modesty which often spirals into bashing one's own appearance. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

LadyMockingjay
July 15th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Stormcast, my hair sounds quite similar to yours!

I love my hair the way it is. I'll admit, I do get a bit of curl envy as curls/waves look fabulous when down whereas mine goes a bit stringy and eugh! Fortunately I don't wear it down often as it's impractical for school. But people comment on how soft, long and blonde my hair is and apparently according to a member of these forums the hemline is perfect :)

LadyMockingjay
July 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Just realised I've resurrected a thread by mistake :o Sorry!

Seeshami
July 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
My hair type is Naughty Mess and all I wish for is a Nice Mess.

The Naughty Mess says, "But you like being held hostage and strangled. It's like a weird ******."

No mess you like those things. I do not.

In reality The Mess is straight with some times waves and there is A LOT of it. I wish it was thinner so dancing with it down wasn't as hot and exhausting as it it but I am pretty happy with The Mess.

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I like my hair because it's smooth the shine is nice and it styles fairly easy. It has a natural v hem line and likes a lot of products it's not fussy.

leslissocool
July 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM
So I wear my hair on a single braid and don't care about mechanical damage because it's also indistructo hair.

However, it's just frizzy! I wish it wasn't as frizzy. But I'm too lazy to henna.

I really like my hair type :D.

silvertongue
July 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
what i like about my hair:

it's super thick (i can't wait until my bangs grow out and join the rest of my hair! then i'll be unstoppable :p)
it rarely tangles when dry
it doesn't break despite all the horrifying trauma it's endured

however, my hair is quite slippery and enjoys escaping from braids/ponytails/buns...which is rather a bummer! but otherwise i am happy with my hair :D

Tini'sNewHair
July 15th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I love this post :D

I love the thickness of my hair because it seems to be somewhere between thin and thick, so a happy medium for me but i hate the baby hairs that are so small and is sitting on my forehead - sometimes its a headache to tame them buggers!
My hair has to be washed every 2 max 3 days, anymore than that and it gets super oily + dandruff, itchy, you name it. As soon as i wash it, it feels soft and it flows so nicely in the slightest breeze 

MermaidMane
July 16th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I feel the same way. I have very dark and thick Asian hair that I used to not like very much because it was hard to style with heat, looked poofy when it was short, and was impossible to dye it much lighter without bleach. I've now come to terms with my hair type and I actually like how thick it is now that it's getting longer since fine hair usually gets more flat as it gets longer. My hair is also not too damaged considering how many times I've bleached and dyed it and I think that's because of how thick it is. And I can still curl my hair using over night methods such as braids, buns, curlers, etc.

Neneka
July 16th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks for resurrecting this. :)

I have fine and straight hair. I like it's softness and natural shine although I have lost a lot that shine when I got rid of henna and veggie dye with harsh methods. I just love the feeling of it. It's naturally softer than my cat's fur and people always compliment him of his softness.

I can go quite long without washing it and I can do WO for long too if I have to. It doesn't get oily if I don't put any oils in it.

Liking my natural ashy blondette colour has been difficult but now I appreciate it more. I have dyed it a lot and other colours just didn't look right. I also like how some forest animals in here have same colours in their fur. Also there is a lot of models with this colour. I guess it's because it's versatile and goes with everything. I wish my hair grew faster so I can get to completely natural faster!