PDA

View Full Version : Silicones and Oils

Forever_Sophie
January 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Is it entirely useless to oil hair after you've used products with silicones? I really hope not, I have tons of products, all of which contains cones...and I've got quite a bit of oil, too. Thanks in advance!

AJoifulNoise
January 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I use silicones and coconut oil. Works just fine for me. :D

Sissy
January 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I would use a few drops oil and then put a tad of silicon after.

Konstifik
January 14th, 2010, 01:04 AM
As far as I know, some oils penetrate silicones better than other. Coconut oil is one of the best I think. Otherwise, maybe you could try oiling before applying the cones? :)

xoxophelia
January 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
What I tried doing was I didn't wash my hair for a few days at all and then put olive oil and some canola oil with a little bit of honey and conditioner, warmed it up a bit, put it in my hair, wrapped it up and then left it overnight.

My ends felt really good. In the future though, I would go a little lighter on the scalp area and focus it on the ends.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 14th, 2010, 01:36 AM
everything depends on how your hair reacts. silicones never make my hair slippery or smooth, they actually make my hair harder to manage, so i stopped using them. now i only use oil, which works :D you need to try and find what works best for you; cone after oil? oil after cone? cone only or oil only?

Dolly
January 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I use silicones daily......I do a deep overnight oiling with coconut oil 1-2 nights a week.....my hair loves both coconut oil and cones!

Sissy
January 14th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Otherwise, maybe you could try oiling before applying the cones? :)

Yes, that's what I was trying to say last night as I was falling asleep typing LOL. I think that you could use the oil first as it's healthy for your hair and can penetrate it (some oils can at least). Then use the cones to help seal that good stuff (the oil) in. Recently, I've tried using Camellia Oil as a leave-in, it works well alone but it also works well when I use a bit of coney leave-in after the oil.

Forever_Sophie
January 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone! GREAT news about the coconut oil, happy to hear that.

Re: oiling first, I'm really bad with amounts. Usually when oiling, I've got to be ready to wash it out in a while, like a deep treatment. I'm thinking I'll try sweet almond oil - if it's lighter, that would be perfect (to use before other silicones).

Thanks again :)

coneyisland
January 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Between using cones I use a mix of oils that is mostly coconut oil.