PDA

View Full Version : I just cut side swept bangs in!

Pear Martini
January 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have never had bangs before and my mother has always said I would look terrible with bangs because I have a small forehead.

I have been wanting to do something new without sacrificing my length for so long!

So I watched two diffrent youtube videos on how to cut side-swept bangs and fell in love with them!

I feel like I just went from being a 7 to a 10. Its just what I needed to update my look.

I reccomend this look for anyone who wants to try bangs but doesn't want it to look too blunt or has a small forehead.

So I am here to say YES, even us people with small foreheads can make bangs work.

Aquamarine
January 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ummm....did you cut all by yourself? I too don't have bangs... I always wanted to have them but...I don't know how they're gonna look on me:shrug:

Pear Martini
January 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah I did. I was worried at first that they would look funny but as long as you take it slow and step back from the mirror after a snip or two to see what it looks like, you should be fine.
This video was great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWZcidY7ks

I paused it when she was showing what her bangs look like unstyled and just copied that.

I liked this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPnyNP5iOvM&feature=related

violeteyes
January 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Side bangs are really nice- I like them!

florenonite
January 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Aquamarine:I cut my own side-swept bangs about a year ago. I think the key is to take off small amounts at a time, so that (a) you don't accidentally take off too much and (b) if you totally stuff it up you can get them fixed professionally.

Aquamarine
January 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
It's just awesome that you cut them all by yourself:cheese: That's a great video...thanks for the link:blossom:

Pear Martini
January 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
You're welcome. Good luck with whichever route you take :D

Aquamarine
January 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Aquamarine:I cut my own side-swept bangs about a year ago. I think the key is to take off small amounts at a time, so that (a) you don't accidentally take off too much and (b) if you totally stuff it up you can get them fixed professionally. Thanks....very nice tips:)

Stormy1
January 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I think side swept bangs are fabulous!

prosperina
January 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Helpful videos! I still won't be cutting my own bangs, but the first girl was very helpful when she showed how you should blow dry at an angle--You think that would be common sense, but when I saw it, I thought OH! like that! :rolleyes: :D

DanielleRenae
January 13th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Good for you :)

I remember a year and a half ago when I got bangs after a 9 year hiatus. I have a little forehead,too, and I think it made me look a lot better. I was also really nervous about having 14 inches of hair cut off for the sake of looking a little better, but it made me look a lot better, so IMO, it's totally worth it.

Ravenwaves 88
January 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I've been thinking about long bangs again....but I don't want to have to use a blow dryer. I wonder if it would still look ok.

florenonite
January 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I've been thinking about long bangs again....but I don't want to have to use a blow dryer. I wonder if it would still look ok.

Judging by your siggy, you might be ok with just frequent combing as your hair dries. I have straighter hair than you, and I never had a problem with needing to straighten my fringe.

Bunnyhare
January 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
so, PearMartini...before and after pics?

bttrfly857
January 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I second, pics?!

LoversLullaby
January 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
It's awesome that you did them yourself, I would be too nervous about screwing up!! I'd love to see some pics though.

neon-dream
January 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!! :tongue:

trillcat
January 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I am thinking about side swept bangs. I did start a thread about growing out bangs, but I so hate these goofy looking shoulder length deals I want to chop chop them away!
Must be strong, must resist urge to cut bangs!

MonicaV2544
January 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I could never cut my own hair....Im not good with sissors.:o

Pear Martini
January 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I dont have a camera right now but I will try to mess around with my phone to get a pic up after dinner

az_sweetie01
January 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have a short forehead too and, at first, my friend who cut them was a little nervous but, they turned out nice and she was surprised, lol ;) Glad it worked out for you!

YesitsReal
January 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I have a short forehead, too, and my sister (who's a stylist) says bangs work great for short foreheads, as long as you keep them cheekbone-length or longer. However, one of my fave haircuts was when I had eye-length sideswept bangs. Bottom line: confidence is more attractive than any haircut you could get, so do what makes you happy!! :D

Pear Martini
January 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I have a short forehead, too, and my sister (who's a stylist) says bangs work great for short foreheads, as long as you keep them cheekbone-length or longer. However, one of my fave haircuts was when I had eye-length sideswept bangs. Bottom line: confidence is more attractive than any haircut you could get, so do what makes you happy!! :D

I agree with that!

ps guy I dont have a camera right now but I will try to get a pic up... I cant make any promise though :o

AmandaPanda
January 16th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I made my side bangs thicker by cutting more hair shorter. That is the same video I used the other day (without seeing this thread). Great minds think alike!
I didn't have a hair shaping razor, so i used my shears. I just got a razor yesterday though

deko
January 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm growing out my bangs and every day I look at my scissors... I really try to grow them out, but every other day I'm ready to cut them short. I hate this phase!

jojo
January 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds good, now stop teasing and get those photos posted, else we wont believe you ;)

curlylocks85
January 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Good for you!

Curlsgirl
January 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Great! I have had straight down eye length bangs for a long time and just sort of sweep them over something. But yesterday I decided to get my stylist to actually CUT them for side-sweeping. I LOVE them. I am going to grow them out a bit on the edge the way hers was. It was just about the tip of the nose and really softened her face a LOT. I needed a change. It wasn't much but I ALMOST told her to cut long layers or face framing layers and remembered the 2 week rule and declined. Later that day I was SO glad I did! :eek: Thanks for the instructions because I want to cut them myself next time. The cut at my salon is pricey and I already get highlights and lowlights.

Tangles
January 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have grown out bangs that work as a sort-of side fringe and everyone thinks I look better with them even though I have a regular sized forehead, not big or small. I don't particularly care for them, but it's easy enough to wear them down for a date with BF and just brush them back other times.

Enjoy the versatility! Another nice thing about them is you can straighten them and your hair instantly looks more styled, even if the rest is kind of messy.

Amoretti
January 18th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I love the look of them but can't handle the way they get into my eyes all the time. LOL. I'm growing mine out now.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
eh, heavy side swept bangs like that in the video is very uncomfortable...you tilt your head to the direction of the sweep, like the girl in the video :D

akilina
January 18th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Nice. :) i like to maintain having bangs. i always have. i just like how they frame my face.

zombi
January 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks for posting those videos~! I've been wanting to start maintaining my fringe myself, since it's just straight-across.

I'm happy for your success.

faeflame
January 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I loved the links you posted for cutting bangs! I get bored with my bangs and like to change them every now and then. I do have a question, I wonder however how far back to cut them in. They seem to go back pretty far in the video and I'm not sure if that would be a good idea since it would eat up so much of my ponytail diameter. How did folks here handle that?

Oh, and I second the request to the OP- PICS PLEASE!!! :)

PorcelainHorror
January 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yay for bangs :]
I've had them for my whole life.
Currently they're in the upper middle part of my forehead kinda cut in a "U" (like betty bangs but more severe)
I really like the way they look with my black hair.

Pear Martini
January 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have grown out bangs that work as a sort-of side fringe and everyone thinks I look better with them even though I have a regular sized forehead, not big or small. I don't particularly care for them, but it's easy enough to wear them down for a date with BF and just brush them back other times.

Enjoy the versatility! Another nice thing about them is you can straighten them and your hair instantly looks more styled, even if the rest is kind of messy.

Good point! I will have to try this

I loved the links you posted for cutting bangs! I get bored with my bangs and like to change them every now and then. I do have a question, I wonder however how far back to cut them in. They seem to go back pretty far in the video and I'm not sure if that would be a good idea since it would eat up so much of my ponytail diameter. How did folks here handle that?

Oh, and I second the request to the OP- PICS PLEASE!!! :)

I just started with the hair closest to my hair line and worked my way back slowly.
I ended up not going as far back as the girls in the videos. My hair is pretty thick so the bangs would have been way too puffy to be flattering.

I want to post pics but I dont have a camera. My cell phones screen is broken so its super hard to take pics with it. Hopefully soon I will be able to