PDA

View Full Version : Nick Arrojo's book: Great Hair

ShadowSwallow
January 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM
In case you didn't know, Nick Arrojo is known around here as "the guy on What Not to Wear who convinces women to chop their hair super short." ;)

Today at the library while checking out a bunch of makeup books I saw that he's published a hair book, and out of curiosity I picked it up too.

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. :D Granted, I'm only two chapters in but so far he's said that -

1) You should embrace a hairstyle that works with your hair texture and shape instead of trying to beat it into submission
2) You don't need to shampoo every day
3) You must condition at least as much as you shampoo, if not more.

I will keep updating as I keep reading, but I thought this was interesting since the only part of him we see on What Not to Wear is the scissors-happy side. That works for reality TV, but it's sure nice to see that the guy knows his hair basics. ;)

peachrose
January 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I wonder if you will get to a part where he says "Doesn't matter if you are young or older, long hair is a no!" Haha, we shall see.

MandyBeth
January 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I know his training - he accepts any one who is willing to cut off at least 3" of hair as someone to be trained on - but it's a good quality $20 haircut and as much as I can't stand his thing with cutting off hair.... Nor do I have that much hair to give up.....

On WNTW - alas - he was often all too right that most of the cuts were to hair that was severely damaged. I don't agree with his need for chemical dyes, straightening hair, and the same haircut every time - but I can't say I like WNTW's fashion gurus either - so I can't say much....

But really, as much as I may want long hair - it's not the length that I'm going for. It's the condition, because long hair that is fried, frizzed, snarled and unkempt is not a look for most people, nor is it encouragement to grow ones own hair out, nor is it a role model to society to have acceptance of long hair. I don't mean fairy tale ends - which I think are lovely. I think we have all seen women and men who don't have well kept hair and it doesn't matter how much hair you may or may not have.

Fractalsofhair
January 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, with reality TV, they rarely choose people who look wonderful for a makeover.

With dyes and straightning and what not, that's what's fashionable, and not everyone knows how to take care of curly/wavy hair or has a hair color they like, or that is flattering on them.(One's natural color, IMO nearly always looks best, if one's skin is in good condition. Dry dull skin can make one's natural color look off, as can damage.)

But yay that he's explaining some good things!

neon-dream
January 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I wonder if you will get to a part where he says "Doesn't matter if you are young or older, long hair is a no!" Haha, we shall see.

Haha! I hope not, it'd be nice to think there was another side to him!

ShadowSwallow
January 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
More good stuff!

4) Do NOT vigorously rub your hair dry with a towel as it will cause a lot of breakage; pat or sqeeze it dry instead.
5) Focus conditioning on the length of hair and not the roots, particularly the last 3 inches.
6) Healthy hair should be your #1 goal :D
7) A good haircut should last at *minimum* 6 weeks before needing to be trimmed
8 ) DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE BOOK :cheese:

Calling out fashion faux pas is all the rage. Never wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day is an enduring one that makes me giggle. It's just not true. If you look great, who cares what date it is? It's the same with hair: Don't wear long hair over forty, some people say. I disagree. As long as your hair is healthy, the style is modern, and it suits you, wear any length you want, regardless of your age.
Now, I'm not sure what he means by "the style is modern," but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and celebrate the fact that he's thinking outside the stylistic box here. :D

florenonite
January 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
More good stuff!

4) Do NOT vigorously rub your hair dry with a towel as it will cause a lot of breakage; pat or sqeeze it dry instead.
5) Focus conditioning on the length of hair and not the roots, particularly the last 3 inches.
6) Healthy hair should be your #1 goal :D
7) A good haircut should last at *minimum* 6 weeks before needing to be trimmed
8 ) DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE BOOK :cheese:

Now, I'm not sure what he means by "the style is modern," but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and celebrate the fact that he's thinking outside the stylistic box here. :D

I hope that his idea of a modern style is just one that's not like this (http://art.allayers.com/images/large/morgan_fairchild.jpg) :p

ShadowSwallow
January 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
9) Detangle hair gently from tip to root
10) If you want to grow our your hair then let it grow at least 3 inches between cuts and ask your hairdresser to cut no more than an inch off

He has a list of hair myths in his book :D -
1) Hair grows fatter if you trim it
2) Cutting your hair short makes it thicker
3) Product doesn't make a difference
4) Color treatments thicken your hair

No... he thinks Locks of Love is a reputable charity. :( I am liking this "The Power of the Makeover" chapter far less, he has two examples of "super long hair" that he "improved" by cutting it off and giving the person a short hairstyle. At least he did honestly call their hair (incredibly shiny) healthy and beautiful. Think I might be grasping for straws? :p

ETA: Floreonite! :lol:

ETA2: 11) Naturally gray hair can be absolutely beautiful
12) Choose your hairdresser incredibly carefully, researching the salon and then getting to know the hairdresser before getting the cut
13) If anything about the hairdresser makes you uncomfortable at your appointment then walk away
14) Heat styling can cause permanent damage
15) African-American hair doesn't need to be relaxed to be beautiful, sexy, and healthy

And... I've finished the book!

Forever_Sophie
January 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for sharing all this! The book sounds way better than I'd have expected!

ShadowSwallow
January 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Now don't get me wrong... the book still extols the virtues of hair products and has a huge section on heat styling. Plus most of what it says isn't useful at all to a longhair. ;)

But it is encouraging to see that he's not spreading myths or is unfairly biased against long hair. :D

Pear Martini
January 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I agree with him that African American hair looks better when its not relaxed. I like how it looks either in natural fro form its so chic. Curly looks good too but I rarely see relaxed hair looking good.

Shermie Girl
January 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I hope that his idea of a modern style is just one that's not like this (http://art.allayers.com/images/large/morgan_fairchild.jpg) :p

Hey, hey, hey! I used to have that 'do. :o

In the mid '80s. :cool:

GlassEyes
January 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I agree with him that African American hair looks better when its not relaxed. I like how it looks either in natural fro form its so chic. Curly looks good too but I rarely see relaxed hair looking good.
Hahaha. It's funny, actually--traditional fros are pretty far from natural. Black hair/African hair can grow up and out, but it takes manipulation to get it that big.

I think relaxed hair can look quite nice, actually. My friend has calf-length relaxed hair. It all depends on the person, how they want it, etc. etc. But at least he's not supportive of people using corrosive chemicals to force hair into a shape it doesn't want to be in. :D