PDA

View Full Version : Hair compare and surprise

WaitingSoLong
January 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Ok, so yesterday I went to pick up my daughter from volleyball, first practice. There were about a hundred other moms there and I immediately started scanning for long hairs. I know there are several. We live in the country and it seems women grow hair longer out here. In fact, I am not sure I know anyone with short hair. Anyway, so there is this one woman with TB+ hair and I was just admiring it.:bowtome: She is younger than me but has a LOT of gray already and somehow it looks great on her anyway and doesn't make her look older. Well, then there was another mom, one of my dd's friend's mom. I never knew she was a long hair, I guess she always had it up when I saw her (I know some people are clueless about me, too) and her hair is gorgeous and long and medium curly. I just stared and was envious and thought, man, I wish my hair was as long as hers! But then I really looked, and my hair IS longer than hers! :bigeyes: Made me feel good about my hair length. I have been feeling "short" ever since my 4" trim last August. I try really hard not to compare but I alwys do.

Willheit
January 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Congrats, WaitingSoLong, that's always a great feeling :D

Carolyn
January 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
What a nice feeling when that happens :) I think a lot of us see our hair as shorter than it really is.

JamieLeigh
January 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
It's easy for me, even at fingertip length, to feel like a shortie when I peruse through this site. I agree with the other posters that it IS a nice feeling to know that you're longer than you think you are. :D I compare to others in real life too - and I get really disappointed when others aren't anywhere near my length. Especially at my kids' schools - it would be nice to have someone there to talk to while we wait for our kids to come out, who is interested in stuff I'm interested in. :(

But yes, it feels good to know that your hard work is paying off and that you're still sticking out from the herd. ;)

spidermom
January 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I know what you mean! I've even gone back to look at old videos we own because I remember a character as having longer hair than me, and now mine is longer. I love it!

Bunnyhare
January 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
i think our brain tricks us like this, because that happens to me alot. I will see someones hair and think "wow, i wish mine was that long", but then when I see mine down I realize it is longer! maybe those people are taller than me(well, just about EVERYONE is taller than me) so it looks like alot more hair...but I got from BSL to waist in no time because I am a shortie!
:0)

jaine
January 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I feel like a shortie sometimes too...

Oh wait ... I am a shortie!
;)

CaityBear
January 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I feel like a shortie all the time, too. When I first met my DBF's cousin I was so jealous. She had about hip length, gorgeous hair. It was mostly straight and thick. Now my hair is longer than her's but it doesn't feel like it. Then again I also wish I had her thickness. It's not too thick, but it's not as thin as mine...

Tonks
January 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I've started to compare hair lengths, and look for people with long hair I admire. I haven't gotten to comparing their length to mine, though.

This may be going off on a tangent, but hearing about how many of you compare your length to someone else's wishing your hair was as long as theirs reminds me a lot about what I used to do with body weight when I was battling anorexia. I still don't understand where these persistent competition/comparison thoughts come from. It was so liberating for me when I realized that the only person I should be comparing myself to is me - and being my personal best, not beating someone else.

Just an observation I found interesting :)

GuinevereMay
January 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I live in Hawaii, where long hair is a cultural thing. People really like really long hair. It isn't unusual to see several women (or men) with knee length hair in any given place.

I didn't even realize how long my hair was until my mom came to visit. She was shocked when I was combing out my hair. For some reason, I thought it was about BSL. I'm almost sitting on it. I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking.