PDA

View Full Version : Hair getting oily for no reason?

itsthatgaljay
January 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hey, I'm new, I think this is my first thread. Please tell me if I do anything wrong!

I'm trying to grow my just past BSL hair to waist length. Its pretty thick, slightly wavy. Gets greasy reasonably quickly, more so recently- by this I mean I used to be able to get away with 3 days without washing (I use tresemme shampoo and conditioner). Now it looks oily the day I wash it. I washed it yesterday and today, which is a rarity to me. The roots feel oily already when I run my fingers through my hair, and the top inch or two feels it a little, and looks less clean than it should.

Is there anything that could be causing this, buildup in my hair (I'm getting to the end of the bottle)? Also, is there anything I can do to help it? (I thought I got the shampoo to my scalp reasonably ok, but perhaps not?)

coscass
January 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Pantene is notorious for having silicones in it, but I'm not too sure about Tresemme. Give the back of the bottle a quick once-over. It sounds like 'cone build up to me, anyway. But let's see what everyone else has to say. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
January 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
according to my own experience, no-SLS shampoos cause a HUGE drop in sebum production. my scalp was already dry, and now it's been over a week since last wash and scalp is still dry as a desert :D

you can also try clarifying shampoos. if your problem's buildup like coscass suggests, it will be solved. (they're pretty high on SLS though)

florenonite
January 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Could be hormones, but I think it's build-up as IIRC Tresemmé contains 'cones, which often build up on hair. Try washing with a clarifying shampoo and see if that solves the problem.

Heidi_234
January 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Sometimes shampooing could lead to more sebum. If the shampoo strips your hair and scalp of the natural oils too well, the scalp feels dry and tries to make up for this with increased sebum production. Maybe trying a gentler cleansing method or at least more gentle shampoo would help.

Also an option - it could be something in your diet.

shockinglength
January 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
according to my own experience, no-SLS shampoos cause a HUGE drop in sebum production. my scalp was already dry, and now it's been over a week since last wash and scalp is still dry as a desert :D

you can also try clarifying shampoos. if your problem's buildup like coscass suggests, it will be solved. (they're pretty high on SLS though)

Have you ever tried CO washing? I had this exact problem. It's worth a shot!:)

Madame J
January 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I'm going to go with either buildup or some environmental factor. Back when we had a big cold snap here, my hair got greasy all of a sudden, and I'm pretty sure it was the increase in artificial heating causing my hair to go nutso. When in doubt, try clarifying.

Even if your products don't contain 'cones, there are other ingredients that build up.

spidermom
January 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hair has to have a reason to get oily? That's a new one!

piratejenny23
January 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
if you want to try something before buying new products, i would second the suggestion of trying a CO wash. i have found that conditioner breaks up grease better than shampoo. i know, it doesn't sound right, but i find it really works, esp after i've put oil on my scalp.

so, just wet your hair, put conditioner on as usual but include the oily area (sometimes people just put conditioner "below the ears"), let it sit for a couple of minutes, then massage and rinse as you would with shampoo.

you still may need to figure out the cause of the unexplained oiliness, but at least this might help for a while.

oh, and i just thought of something else; i used to use Head & Shoulders shampoo & Tresemme conditioner. after a while i noticed the same thing you mention, hair getting oily quicker. i started shampooing twice then conditioning, and it cleared up the problem for at least a couple of years. these days, however, i lean towards less shampooing rather than more, but again, it might help temporarily until you figure out if you need to change products or routine.

good luck and welcome!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Have you ever tried CO washing? I had this exact problem. It's worth a shot!:)

It's like, 9th time i heard this advice! :D i guess it's about time i visit a beauty supply to choose a conditioner!

aisling
January 13th, 2010, 03:19 AM
The weather! Seriously, my scalp turns greasier in cold weather, same thing with hot and sweaty weather.

Carolyn
January 13th, 2010, 04:22 AM
My hair is always greasy and lank if I don't rotate my S & C's.

Anje
January 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Could be buildup, might be a reaction to the shampoo. I'll add a vote for it being seasonal, though -- I tend to get a big increase in oil production in the winter, though mine is calming down now.