PDA

View Full Version : A Decent Ponytail

oriole6
January 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Coming out of lurkdom here for some help! :couch:
I have heavy, almost waist-length hair and I can't make a decent mid-high ponytail! The hair from nape to tail buckles, and the hair from front hairline to tail is stretched tight. I do the rat-tail comb thing to loosen the top hair, and I've tried applying a couple of smallish hair combs tucked between the nape and the ponytail to help support the weight. This helps some, but not enough. The ponytail band isn't loose.
Is there something I'm missing? Is there a fix?

SimplyViki
January 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I think after a certain point, hair just gets too long/heavy for a high ponytail. I don't wear one anymore, because it pulls the hair in front and hurts (not to mention it slides down and doesn't look right anyway).

Heidi_234
January 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hi, and welcome :)
This is pretty much the reason I don't do high(er) ponytails anymore, it puts way too much stress on the hair and eventually wears it out. I prefer lower ponytail, and I prefer to do it with a flexi-8. I think it puts less stress on the hairs on top this way.

Also, just a theoretical idea - maybe you can french braid the top part of the hair up until the base of the ponytail, which would make the entire braid to "hold" the ponytail, instead of just one thin layer?

spidermom
January 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I haven't been able to wear anything but a low ponytail since about waist length.

WaitingSoLong
January 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I agree, my hair has been too long for a high pony since about BSL. Now that I have it healthier and shinier and thus slicker, AND only use certain kind of elastics, it just will not stay.

I did do a trick once before my hair was too long: when you get int int he pony but not tied yet, tilt your head back as far as you can, re-brush the hair into the poiny and then fasten before you look straight again. This makes the "buckle" go away or less, but it is VERY tight.

I cannot even do a low pony because I get a frizz knot by the end of the day at the nape of my neck. It is braided instead. Or I fasten elastics downt he length of the tail. Tho I just bun all the time now anyway.

Carolyn
January 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I agree with the others. Hair can be too long and heavy to do a higher ponytail. When I've tried to do one the elastic just slides down in a short while. It's too painful to wear a high pony anyways. As hair gets longer, there are styles you won't be able to do anymore due to the length and weight of your hair. It's just something you have to accept if you want to go for the longer lengths.

kittensoupnrice
January 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I have heard that there actually is a way to do a higher pony tail with longer hair, but it involves multiple hair-ties.
divide your hair into 3 parts, bottom left, bottom right, and top hair.
Make a high ponytail with the bottom left with the tail positioned where you want your final tail to be. Add the bottom right hair to it with another tie. So now you have one bigger ponytail in back using two ties.
Tie your top hair with a separate ponytie loosely, to create a bit of poof. Use one final ponytie to add the top ponytie to the main ponytail. At this point you can decorate the base with a fancy scrunchii or something, or with other hair accessories.

Hope that made sense.

I've never bothered with this. Sounds like a hassle and each ponytie is a place where damage can happen.

GoddesJourney
January 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
You can do this on the very top of your head but it requires brushing out your hair while upside down. Also, you will have to tie it down with at least two strong elastics. I knew a girl who did this regularly. I'm not sure if she put hair spray in to hold fly-aways or what. Good luck.

Akiko
January 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I just tried this updo and seems to feel better than a simple ponytail. The weight seems to be distributed a little better. Honestly, I don't wear a ponytail of any kind lately. I would just make a bun. Besides my dear husband likes to pull (not rough, but still.... :rolleyes:) although I told him not to. I just avoid tempting him.

Make a ponytail.
Take a section of hair. Braid it and wrap around the base.
Secure with pins.

(Not sure if you can see well since my hair is so black..)
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/kurupika/updos/RIMG0009.jpg

dragonfrog
January 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Have you tried Igor's base ponytail method? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=98 It is supposed to give a more secure and non-pulling ponytail base for buns, but it seems like it might also work for a high ponytail (perhaps laying down would help get all the hair to go higher).

TheCatSaidQuack
January 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
When my hair was longer, I had the same problem. What I would do is make 3 different pony tails, the highest starting a little higher then where I wanted it to be on my head, then one below it, and one below that. I then would take a little hair out of the highest pony, pull it aside, and then tie the 3 ponys together to create a super secure pony. I would then wrap the hair that I had taken aside (either braided or just as a strand) and wrap it around the hair tie to make it look more 'finished'. I noticed it didn't weight down my hair as much when I did this, and it was, in fact, super secure. I always got compliments when I did this, so maybe you could have some luck with it!

coscass
January 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
You still might be able to do this. I have relatively thick hair, as well, and long, though nowhere near as long as yours I'll guess. What you do is take a bobbypin (probably a big one if your hair is really thick and heavy), and slip it onto the rubberband you're using. Then you wrap it around your hair like you normally would, and instert the bobbypin straight into it. It will hold it. Let me try to find a picture or a video...

http://www.squidoo.com/pony-to-pin-demo

Follow up to step two, although only put the bobbypin through one side, not over both. So it's just hanging from it. Then gather your hair, and make it as tight as you can without it being uncomfortable. It might take a few tries. Then find the bobbypin, bring it to the top, and either put it straight down, or angle it back. Try to lock it into the rubberband. I say use a bigger, thicker one because it'll probably hold better.

Anyway, hope this made SOME sense.

Sisko
January 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Do a high knot bun and leave the remaining hair out? It won't be your standard ponytail, but it's a way to achieve the same decent tail look.

I'm not sure if your hair is long enough for this yet.

The look I'm referring to is at about 3.28:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPzAutTKrs

oriole6
January 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. This'll keep me busy for awhile :flowers: