PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant haircare

hoosiermama
January 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM
OK, so I'm not pregnant.....yet. I am trying to concieve though. I am also trying to grow my hair and find the best haircare routine for healthy happy hair. And I was wondering, is there anything I should or should not be doing/using on my hair? I am on the fringe of green. I still use a lot of traditional products in my life but I've been slowly tossing the chemicals for more healthy natural alternatives. I've seen a lot of talk here about shampoo bars, vinegar, EOs and the like. What's safe for a pregnant mama and what's not? Thank you for your wisdom!

Katze
January 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I think most things are OK - I am semi-natural in haircare, basically concentrate on being pragmatic and sensible in my use of manufactured chemicals.

When I was pregnant I found I had to wash more often for a while. My pregnancy hair was over 2x thicker than my real hair, and I had so much hair I did not know what to do with it! Towards the end of my pregnancy I braided some blue extensions in (see pics in album) just to make myself feel OK about being so huge.

Check with your midwife or doctor, but apart from hair dye and such treatments, I would assume most everything is just fine...the only thing I had to watch (and still do as I am nursing) is any kind of Chinese herbs, since (according to my sister the acupuncturist, also a mom) they are a no-no.

halo_tightens
January 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I know that there are a few natural products that shouldn't be used during pregnancy... rosemary EO, perhaps? Some of the other members know quite a bit about EOs and can probably help with that. There may also be some info in the articles section!

I think if you know what specific ingredients to avoid, you'll be able to work out very easily what will and won't be safe to use. :)

ETA: This is a quote from the article on western herbs: *Cedarwood, clary sage, myrhh, rosemary, should never be used during pregnancy*
There's a lot more info in the article; check it out!

kittensoupnrice
January 12th, 2010, 06:49 AM
The CV website recommends highly against using neem oil during pregnancy or when you are trying to conceive.

Madame J
January 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Every herb and EO you think of using, you should run a search (Sloan-Kettering has a lot of herb info) to make sure that herb is not contraindicated during pregnancy. I also think there are issues with some EOs like lavender (I know that's one) during pregnancy with a male because they can have estrogenic effects and affect the development of s*x organs.

Henna is still safe unless your child has an extremely rare condition -- the Henna Page has more info on this.

utdesertrunner
January 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
You've had great advice about checking out herbs and oils before you use them. There are quite few you should avoid during pregnancy. I just wanted to say "Enjoy your pregancy hair!" Mine got super thick and shiny each time! I LOVED it! I think I might have had to wash mine a few times too.

Oh, the one piece of advice...almost every pregnant woman gets an insane urge to cut her hair about 7 months along. Resist! I did it everytime but this last one, with the support of LHC. :cheese:

NiAosSi
January 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
All I did was wash 3x a week with low or no sulfate shampoo and condition accordingly. I used EV coconut and olive oil for hair and Nivea cream for body and face. I would avoid most EO's and like stuff even if there are no contraindications during pregnancy because in my experience the skin and scalp change drastically and things that normally don't irritate can begin to.

juliaxena
January 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
You've had great advice about checking out herbs and oils before you use them. There are quite few you should avoid during pregnancy. I just wanted to say "Enjoy your pregancy hair!" Mine got super thick and shiny each time! I LOVED it! I think I might have had to wash mine a few times too.

Oh, the one piece of advice...almost every pregnant woman gets an insane urge to cut her hair about 7 months along. Resist! I did it everytime but this last one, with the support of LHC. :cheese:

I am interested in this thread too. I would also like to ask a queastion. What about after the baby is born? I mean is there a lot of hair loss.

NiAosSi
January 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
It's common although, it doesn't always happen to everyone. I had no hair loss with either of my kids. My hair is the same just a bit drier, i suspect that's because I am slacking off in the water department.

I am interested in this thread too. I would also like to ask a queastion. What about after the baby is born? I mean is there a lot of hair loss.

frizzalot
January 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
my hair got super thick when i was pregnant and i didn't shed much during. About 2months after giving birth i think, normal shedding kicked in.

good luck hoosiermama :) <sprinkles baby dust>

kitsune
January 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think you'll be fine with most things. I even asked my doctor, however he said your hair won't absorb stuff, and I was like... my scalp will. There wasn't any specific hair products that I stayed away from. But I only use shampoo and conditioner nothing else. And I hadn't dyed my hair in ages and wasn't about to either. I did switch to a more natural shampoo and conditioner though. One that was paraben and SLS free.

As for herbs... I took them during my 'confinement'. They were used in soups and stuff as prescribed by the doctor (chinese medicine doctor). I think they are ok if you know what you are doing (which I don't but apparently all taiwanese MILs do) Some people take them during pregnancy too, but you'll want to consult a professional as to what is ok and what is not.

cardamom
March 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Did anyone use castor oil during pregnancy?It is an abortifacient when taken in but I am not sure if it is safe topically on scalp.I need help with this badly!:)

skysraine
March 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Pre-Congragulations..... If you have a local Health food store they should have a natural supply of prenatal vitamins and also hair care products I know the most popular one right now we cant seem to keep on the shelf is MAX-Hair. I personally believe in the Apple Cider Vinegar treatment, myself. My hair grew leeps and bounds while I was preganant. It has to do with your hormones mostly. :smooch: Happy Baby-Making!!!!!XOXO

andrea1982
March 13th, 2010, 07:48 AM
lol, that's when I last had a major hair cut, month 7 of my Pregnancy!

I'm also trying to conceive, and I'm trying shampoo bars (traditional soap) right now as a way to be more "natural", however I used conventional products during my first pregnancy and will do so this time if I don't like the results of the shampoo bars.

some people avoid dying their hair (me too), but many sources say this is safe as well. Seems the only real danger is herbs..

I'm not sure about castor oil, it seems it would be safe topically.