PDA

View Full Version : Growing hair long

prittykitty
January 11th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem. My hair is starting to grow out very nice. Now when I say it is growing out, this is exactly what I mean. I have naturally curly hair and it is growing out big and wild in volume but not in length. I notice when it is wet it looks longer in length but that is very short lived until it dries and is only at shoulder length but BIG! I have gone against what I never wanted to do and have made myself wear it up. When am I going to ever have length instead of just width and volume? Sometimes I feel like giving up and adding extensions or even try dreadlocks.Has anyone else had this problem?

I forgot to add that after reading the monistat thread, I tried it in October and have been using it since. I have had a lot of hair growth from it, in fact it seems like I am getting more hair than I started off with (extra hair), kind of the same type of hair I had as a teenager. I love the growth, just that I wish it were more relaxed.

Gumball
January 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM
It's all about length there. The longer curly hair gets the more weight it ends up having. The more weight it has the more it will weigh itself down and stop just expanding like you're a Chia-LHCer. I've gone through that. Patience is the only way to get through it. That and I'm a fan of putting my hair up. Here's to hair weight!

missjessiecakes
January 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
If it really bothers you you can get it thinned and or layered. But if you are able I'd just put it up and wait. Most people that I've read about once they get to apl/bsl area it lays its self down.

MonicaV2544
January 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Have you tried adding a bit of oil to your hair?

Jordan S.
January 12th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yep! I can so relate, I have the exact same problem! My hair is 4a as I'm african american. I have to relax/perm it to get it looking like 1a hair. So when my new natural growth comes in, I can't tell how long it's really gotten unless I go in to get my new growth permed. So annoying! :mad: lol

prittykitty
January 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Have you tried adding a bit of oil to your hair?
I was using coconut oil until it started to make my ends brittle to the point of them breaking off. Sometimes I use jojoba oil but my hair seems to feel softer without oils so I rarely use them anymore. If I were living in the 80's my hair would be perfect right now.

Heidi_234
January 12th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I agree with Gumball, it's just a question of length and when you're going to grow out of The Triangle of Doom. My hair is curlier than yours, and it was very voluminous and big and did not show length very well. But now, after I'm over the awkward stage, it much much better. :)

Angela_Rose
January 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
The added weight of your hair as it gets longer should pull some of the curl down. It happened to me, it happens to a lot of us.
I have Shirley Temple curls... when my hair is short. Now that it's thigh-length, the weight has left me with the loveliest ringlets and long curls, plus a lot of wurls. It's wonderful. You'll get there!

Isilme
January 12th, 2010, 06:59 AM
henna is kind of a monster if you aren't 110% sure you want to commit and know everything about it. But some members have had slight relaxing effects from henna.

ccmuffingirl
January 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Don't worry. It'll take some time, but your hair will gradually start to "lay down". Curly hair in the 2's and 3's will start to lie down as it gets longer. But, fortunately for you, the big, curly look is very in nowadays, so you shouldn't have that bad of a wait until your hair gets longer. Just make sure your curls look healthy and wear some cute accessories like a headband or scarf, and all should be well.

I know how you feel, though. My hair is naturally in the 4's, so just imagine the shrinkage you experience times 2, lol. I personally relax my hair because it's easier for me to manage (I won't get too much into that seeing as it's a contraversial subject), but I try to keep it healthy by doing as natural things as possible aside from that process.

Xandergrammy
January 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Here's a picture of me early on in my growing out journey. Obviously, I can relate to your pain. :gabigrin: It will definitely get better with time (and length). I used a lot of gel, hairbands and bobby pins at this stage. :flowers:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

curlylocks85
January 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I have curly too and it grows "out" just like you described. At shoulder length, curly hair can look like this because the curls are light so they go up. As your hair grows, it will gain weight and start to pull your hair down instead of “out”.

jojo
January 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
My hair grows out before down, but I have found once it gets past shouders it gains length. My hair is much curlier when shorter, I would hypothasise that the more curly the hair when shorter, the longer growing out period you experience. The weight of the curl will make it grow down but you cannot beat real curly long hair and I feel its so worth the wait. I only wish my hair was more curly.

GermanCurl
January 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I have to agree with curlylocks85, Gumball and Heidi_234.

Shoulderlenght is a critical point. Believe me, my hair is at 18", with 2c/3a curls (= Triangle Head) and in the past I got frustrated and had it chopped off which started a vicious cycle. Right now I am wearing my hair up/ponytail most of the time waiting patiently for gravity to kick in...

Armelle
January 13th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Yep. My hair has these big, big curls so when I started growing it out from boy-short, it turned into i pyramid of unhappiness. :( I just had to endure until there was enough weight to pull it down. I never tried oils back then (didn't know about them), but I figure if I did...I'd just have poofy hair that is oiled! :D I wish you the best and alot of patience! :flower:

klcqtee
January 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Well, I found that my hair grows in phases:
Down from chin to shoulder
Out from shoulder to APL+/-BSL
APL+/-BSL to mid back down

That's just my hair though. I hope it continues to grow down at waist length. I've found that if I wear my hair up in something twisted (like a peacock twist, or jaw clip updo), it tends to lay down more when I take it down.

With wavy hair, you have to find a balance. Short wavy hair+bun waves = wide flippy hair, air dried, not styling=fluffy and wide.

Have you tried scrunching some conditioner into your while it's still damp? I find that makes it dry more vertically than horizontally. Of course, this will make your hair wavier, and it seems you don't like the wurls...

Combing coconut oil through my hair makes it straighter and less poofy.

ETA: Just saw Xandergrammy's post. Wow. Just...wow. It looks so soft and fluffy! Anyone else want to try it out as a pillow?

Xandergrammy
January 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
ETA: Just saw Xandergrammy's post. Wow. Just...wow. It looks so soft and fluffy! Anyone else want to try it out as a pillow?

Awww, what a lovely thing to say! :puppykisses:

abritta3
January 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
My hair length is 24" but my curls shrink up to 21"-22" so my hair is still in the awkward triangle phase but it was WAY worse back in the days when it was only 22" shrinking up to 20".
Just let it grow. I am already seeing a difference.
I use a ton of gel when I know I am going to wear my hair down so the weight will pull the curls down.
I hope this helps!

Belisarius
January 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
i know what you feel like. I was there somewhat more than a year ago. I sucked it up and did half ponytails.

marobader
January 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I had the same problem too but it realy get much better I hope the best for all of us curly heads

Arniky
January 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Hi
try getting it strainghtened. shampoo with conditioners could possibly help,

Keildra
January 25th, 2010, 05:02 AM
When I was in school and had pixie length hair my hair would poof so badly it was awful but now I'm bra strap length. My hair still poofs out a lot but it has calmed down too. I wore my hair in a pony tail for three years to get there so don't worry it will happen your hair will calm down. and you will have lovely curls

Johanna
January 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Even my hair was a giant poofball at chin-sholder length. My hair is a bit thick so when it's short it tends to try defy gravity.
My old housemate used to have thick curly hair. She'd tye a scrunchy around it and let it poof out at the back. Messy buns looked nice too.

lillithnight
January 27th, 2010, 02:46 AM
my hair actcually tends to grow more out then down. But I'm a 3c/4a with very thick hair. I'm planing on wearing it in a roller set till it gets pass that small for my hair type amount of try angle.

PhillyGirl1978@
January 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
If it really bothers you you can get it thinned and or layered. But if you are able I'd just put it up and wait. Most people that I've read about once they get to apl/bsl area it lays its self down.

I would vote against the thinning out though, I had that done when I was a kid still in curly denial and relaxing my hair. If I had worn it curly though and had it thinned out, it would be less weight to make it longer and it would have been pouffier, plus it grows in weird. My hair is about waist length if I stretched it all out it shrinks back up to below BSL when curly. It is still long and the longer it gets the heavier it gets and the less it shrinks. Moisturize a lot, leave conditioner in, something for hold, and maybe wear it up until ot is heavy enough to be less pouffy.

I know just how you feel.