PDA

View Full Version : "Why is there conditioner foam in your hair?"

coscass
January 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I know I make a lot of topics and ask a lot of questions, sorry. But I've never had anyone else to ask this stuff to! So I plan on getting a trim in a month or so, and by trim I mean microtrim. I trust a regular stylist to do this for me, after I stress that if they cut anywhere near an inch of they'll be in big frickin' trouble.

Anyway, when you go in, do you go in natural, or with product in your hair? Or do you wait a few days after it's not been washed? Co washers, do you go in with left in condish in your hair? When they spray you down, does the condish foam up a little, or has it all been absorbed by your hair? IF it does start to foam up, or if they can tell it's there, what do you tell them?

"Oh, that's just some conditioner, don't worry."
"You don't rinse properly."
"I know. I like it that way."

Has anything like this ever happened to you? How do you quickly explain (without sounding "dirty" to someone who doesn't CO or leave CO in) why your hair has conditioner leftover in it?

Sorry for all the dumb questions....lol

EDIT:

I went to cosmetology school, and if I came in and told my instructors (who advised me for 2 entire years on how to take care of my hair--product, product, and more product--their eyes would be wide as saucers) what I do now, they'd probably think I was weird/dirty or something.

sumptuousness
January 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I would like to know this too. I'm also wondering how I will approach the next trim as the last one was wonderful in terms of having only the teensiest bit trimmed off but horrifying in terms of the shampoo/conditioner/ripping through hair with a fine-toothed comb - especially the ripping through hair with a fine-toothed comb bit!

In the end I had to say, 'Look, I take very good care of my hair and would never treat it that harshly,' which seemed to work a little bit, but my poor hair felt a bit traumatised afterwards and I resented paying someone to undo all the careful handling of my hair I'd been doing, grrr!

Sorry for the long reply which doesn't include advice! :o But will be watching this thread to see if going to the salon with a head full of conditioner is recommended :D :drama:

pepperminttea
January 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
When I got my hair cut by a hairdresser, she was a friend, so I'd pop over to her house just after I washed my hair with a towel turban still on my head. It gets you some funny looks at the traffic lights, I can tell you. :p

Dars
January 12th, 2010, 01:10 AM
When I used to go to a hairdresser I would wash my hair immediately prior to going in, no product. At that time I was S/C.

aisling
January 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I don't really understand the question aimed at CO washers. It's important that you rinse out all conditioner if you CO wash, you have to rinse very well for it to work.

If you use normal conditioner as a leave in it is a different thing than CO washing, it would be no different from product labelled as leave in and hairdressers should be familiar with leave in.

jenny'sdreaming
January 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I think you would have to leave a WHOLE lot of conditioner in your hair for it to be foaming up when they wet you down. I often use leave ins or other products and I've never had it be an issue. The only time I ever had problems was back when I used to use a lot of mousse and hairspray etc and my hair would be coated in that crap when they wet it down and then is was usually better to go in with it freshly washed or have them wash it. Now it's a non-issue.

Actually at my last trim last week the hairdresser noticed my scalp was looking a little dry and irritated (as it usually gets in winter) and she suggested that I NOT use shampoo every time. She said to just use conditioner and only shampoo every other time or maybe even every third time. :wink: Not every stylist out there is a die hard shampoo and as much product as you can stuff in your hair believer. This was also at a Cost Cutters not a special longhair or high end salon.

spidermom
January 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I like the way my stylist gives me a scalp massage when she washes my hair, so I let her do it. Then I do the comb out. I always leave conditioner in my hair, and she has never once said anything about it. I don't think it foams up.

Sheltie_Momma
January 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I go in with clean, wet, combed and braided hair. I wouldn't go in with leave in or conditioner in my hair, that isn't nice for stylist's scissors.

kwaniesiam
January 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM
If you're worried about what the stylist will say, just tell them its leave-in, mousse, gel, whatever. They're probably used to washing all sorts of product out of clients' hair. I'm in hair school right now and have washed a few heads of hair that had spray and all sorts of gunk in their hair.

If you're going in having already washed your hair at home, however, I'd go in with no product in your hair. It can be a frustrating mess when foam and conditioner build up in your comb and get all over your scissors, and then the stylist has to clean their tools extra thoroughly after they are finished with you. Just apply what ever oils or leave ins you normally use after the cut is finished.