PDA

View Full Version : Protein Overload

peachrose
January 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I did an experiment recently to see if my hair needed some protein. I used Aubrey Organics protein balancing conditioner and left in on for 30 min followed by some of my regular conditioner. My hair felt nice initially but when it dried it felt really, really crunchy. My hair is on the dry side anyways so I figured lesson learned and followed up a couple days later with an SMT.

I have done a variety of treatments since then including heavy oilings, aloe, and everything else that typically softens my hair right up. The protein treatment was about 2 weeks ago and my hair is still extremely crunchy. I have recently trimmed, have not used heat lately, no cones and so the only thing I can pinpoint this change to is my protein treatment.

I now know my hair hates protein but what on earth can I do to get my softness back? Anything? Do I just wait it out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :flowers:

Gumball
January 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Clarifying and then lots and lots of moisture, or even simply lots and lots of moisture, should help kick things on the right track back to more softness.

peachrose
January 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Clarifying and then lots and lots of moisture, or even simply lots and lots of moisture, should help kick things on the right track back to more softness.

I have used a sulfate shampoo since which didn't seem to help too much. I wonder if something stronger like a baking soda rinse might help...

coscass
January 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I say try the shampoo one more time, then load your hair with condish and just let it sit for an hour or so in a shower cap.

SunshineHair
January 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Peachrose I just love your signature picture. I cant wait to have hair long like that!!

peachrose
January 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Peachrose I just love your signature picture. I cant wait to have hair long like that!!

Thanks Sunshine! My hair is not straight on it's own so it looks extra long in that picture. I am sure you will get there soon! :)

Buddaphlyy
January 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The thing with protein treatments is that you have to follow them with an equal strength moisture treatment IMMEDIATELY afterward. You probably waited to long and you used a moisture treatment that was too "weak" to balance the protein.

I don't do SMT's but since they are supposed to be moisturizing, I'd say do those as much as possible for as long as possible until you get your softness back.

Jordan S.
January 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Happened to me as well. It got all crunchy when I used pure mayo. Try mixing some Extra Virgin Olive oil in with your protein treatments to get a balance.

Anje
January 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't gotten truly massive protein overloads like what you describe (a few washes with a protein conditioner is enough to teach me a lesson!), but what has worked for me in the past is repeated SMTs. As in, every evening or two, dump your hair (especially the ends) in a vat with conditioner and honey, put it in a shower cap, and let it sit for an hour or two. Rinse. Oil hair. Repeat tomorrow.

It'll get better, but it may take a while. In the meantime, start checking the ingredient lists on the conditioners you're using right now to make sure they're all protein free, to shorten the process.

jojo
January 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I did the same a while back, I clarifyed like the whole length 3 times with Aubrey Organic clarify shampooand then mixed 3 tablespoons of honey in tigi moisture manic and bagged for about 3 hours, hair soon recovered!

spidermom
January 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Baking soda mixed with shampoo gave me horribly dry, crunchy hair that matted up so tight I couldn't even get a comb or my fingers through it. I did conditioner soaks or SMT every single day for about two weeks to get my soft hair back. Therefore I can't recommend baking soda except for perhaps a very dilute mix of 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of warm water, poured slowly through your hair.

However, if I were you, I'd forget the clarifying idea and keep giving it moisture.

fawn
January 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Sometimes clarifying helps, or just do co for awhile, that helps me. I have over-proteined before and my hair goes frizzy, breaky and really strange texture/coated.

peachrose
January 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Everyone! I have clarified and am now doing a SMT under a shower cap and woolen hat to keep the heat in. I plan to leave it on for 2 hours and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. :blossom:

juliaxena
January 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM
When it happened to me, I had to do a few overnight treatments. I also used Moisture maniac for it. It was bad but my hair completely recovered.