PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Qamar
January 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
My new bottle of argan oil arrived today and I wasn't going to get to try it until a couple of days from now as I washed my hair last night. Ah well, patience is a virtue, right?
Well, I get to try it today anyhow. As I was unwrapping my new Moroccan tagine from the layers and layers of Arabic newspaper it was wrapped in, I dropped them on the ground outside our RV. When I bent to pick them up to recycle them I stood up and hit my head HARD on the corner of the door. A few choice words later (it was hard enough to bring tears to my eyes and make me nauseous) I gingerly examined my head and came back with a palmful of blood. Head lacerations bleed like nobodies business. :( Needless to say, I now need to wash my hair again, and I'm not looking forward to the detangling since I have a large egg on my head. The plus side is that I now have an excuse to try my new argan oil. :o

Any tips on getting the blood out of my hair? I'm thinking I'll just let water run over my scalp. I finally got the bleeding stopped so I don't want to start it up again messing with the area to get the clots out.

Sweetness
January 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Ouch !

I would say some cold water. It will help reduce your bump too.

To stop bleeding, nothing beats alum blocks ...
http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1263248166.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1263248166.jpg/1.html)

it's a kind of natural mineral and it stops blood (instantly coagulates, leaving a small mineral deposit on the skin, a little salty kind of powder). Great to apply after shaving so you don't have rasor bumps (just wet it first under water and slide on the skin).

From experience, it also reduces pain A LOT when you are bleeding (ex. knife cut and things like this). Very miraculous rock and very cheap and it lasts forever, everyone should have one of these at home. Also great if you cut a dog claw too short ... etc.

Under arms (wet first, then apply) it also reduces smell of transpiration to almost nothing at all ... Some put alum powder in shoes to deodorize them. Does so many things, really. My own cristal of alum actually comes from Morocco, as your tajine and argan oil (: My grand father always used it after shaving to prevent redness.

Anyways, I'd alternate that (if you have some) and cold water on your head to help it heal, not bleed, hurt less and reduce bumps, etc.

ps. hmmmm tajines !

SunshineHair
January 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Looks like sweetness had great answers! I wanted to say goosh, hope your ok!!!! :(

Qamar
January 11th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Its still pretty tender, but the egg stopped at walnut sized because I immediately iced it with frozen corn. As far as I can tell it just poked a hole in my scalp so that should heal fine. No lasting damage and I won't need stitches which means they won't need to clip any hair short. All in all a good thing.

amoulixes
January 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear that! Please take care!

And...I just wanted to say, I love tajines! My boyfriend broke mine last year on accident and we haven't replaced it. :(

Anywhere
January 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Its still pretty tender, but the egg stopped at walnut sized because I immediately iced it with frozen corn. As far as I can tell it just poked a hole in my scalp so that should heal fine. No lasting damage and I won't need stitches which means they won't need to clip any hair short. All in all a good thing.

you use bags of frozen vegetables as ice packs too? ;)
Hope it heals fast. Blood should just wash out, once my brother crashed an ATV into a tree and a branch made his scalp bleed. He's a natural blonde and it just washed right out with water.

Qamar
January 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Yep. Frozen veggies make great ice packs. They are cheap, usually handy and they conform to the injured area nicely. I did stick some paper towel in there between me and the corn baggie though...no need getting the corn all bloody. *lol*

Islandgrrl
January 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yikes! I hope that feels better soon. Sure you don't need a stitch or two? When my DD bonked her head in August, she really only needed one silly stitch in her head. They didn't shave a strand! Just put the little stitch in and she was done. She had quite the little goose-egg under there, too. Blood everywhere. And it just rinsed out with cool water. No worries.

violeteyes
January 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
ouch is right! I would wait a little while, to make sure that you won't bleed if you have to work around that area of your scalp.

Elenna
January 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Qamar, just saying, "ouch" with you. Hope that your poor head feels better soon!

Dars
January 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yikes! I hope that feels better soon. Sure you don't need a stitch or two? When my DD bonked her head in August, she really only needed one silly stitch in her head. They didn't shave a strand! Just put the little stitch in and she was done. She had quite the little goose-egg under there, too. Blood everywhere. And it just rinsed out with cool water. No worries.
Here with minor injuries on the head like that they just use petroleum jelly to separate the hair and deal with a suture that way. And also, using a substance that literally glues the wound together instead of stitching.

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
In a small enough wound, actually the petroleum jelly may help as is. If it's willing to stop on it's own, it'll help keep it from further tearing (helps make the skin more elastic I think...) The glue is literally super glue. Honestly, I'd rather have the sutures than the glue. Glue burns soo bad to me and it's super itchy.

But *OUCH*. Frozen peas work nicely also, but without the little sharp edges of corn.