PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! MY hair got caught in the vacuum cleaner motor!!

camillacamilla
January 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
So my hair is loose (stupid) and I am vacuuming with the wand attachment on my upright vacuum cleaner. I went to clean under the bed and.....my hair sucked into the motor. Not the roller brush. The motor. And my head gets yanked to the back of the vacuum, where I can hear strands popping as they are being pulled out of my scalp while I frantically try to find the switch. I finally found the switch. At that point though, I had a sore scalp, could smell burnt hair, and my hair was jammed in the vacuum. Oh yeah- I was home alone too. And the vacuum in heavy. I drug the vacuum and myself over to my cell phone and got my husband to come home. He managed to pry the chunk of hair out. It is a twisted, mangled mess. It luckily isn't as large of a portion as I feared, but if I have to cut it, I will have an obvious chunk of the side of my hair missing. My scalp hurts really bad too. The hair feels pretty hard, but it also appears to have been twisted and twisted upon itself repeatedly. I currently have it slathered in conditioner, covered in a plastic bag. I hope to try to comb some of it out later. Any other ideas on how to comb out the biggest knot of all time, while dealing with a sore scalp??? :confused:

little_acorn
January 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
:grouphug: eek that sounds like a terrible experience.

I think I would treat it just how you are, give it some time to soak up any goodness from the conditioner and the gently as you can start working the knot apart with your fingers and a wide toothed comb. Hopefully you won't loose too many hairs.

Spike
January 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ooooooowwwwwiiieee!!! :grouphug:

Nope, I would be doing what you are--soaking the tangle in conditioner, maybe add some oil, and then--ever so gently--picking the knots apart starting from the ends and taking LOTS of breaks.

Anje
January 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Conditioner might help, but I think what you want is the most silicone-slippery stuff you can find. I've heard great things about "Cowboy Magic" detangler, but I don't know where you can find it, unless you have a tack store near you. Silicone serum might be the next best thing.

I think you're going to just have to pick it apart a little at a time. You might want to read up on how to detangle and remove dreadlocs without cutting, which would probably be a worse scenario than yours. Here's one link. (http://www.treasuredlocks.com/howtorelo.html)

Tangerine
January 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Good grief, that sounds absolutely terrifying! Exactly the kind of thing that would happen to me too, so I'm definitely using this as a stark reminder never to vacuum clean with my hair loose ...

I 'fourth' the suggestions by acorn and spike, and Anje - do what you are already doing, and later on try and gently, gently pick apart the knots and tangles.

Good luck! And I hope your scalp heals quickly :flower:

Akiko
January 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Terrifying!!!!
I don't have anything to add in terms of detangling. Just wanted to give you a big hug.
:grouphug:

camillacamilla
January 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Yes- please do not EVER vacuum with your hair down. It just never occurred to me that my hair could slip into where the vacuum pulls air into- which in this case leads to the motor. I do have silicone serum. I think after my conditioner soak, I will oil my hair "lump" up with silicone before trying to pick it apart. I am also going to read that link od removing dreadlocks too. Good thing it has been cold and snowy here, because I am not leaving the house until this mess is sorted out.

SHELIAANN1969
January 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Oh no, did your husband check your scalp to make sure it isn't torn/cut/wounded?

I would get some ice and put it on my scalp, and allow your hair to soak in the conditioner and oils for awhile.

I am so sorry this happened, thank goodness hubs got home to help.

Little_Bird
January 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Gosh!

For off, I wish you the best luck with it, I hope you can save your hair!

And yes, I think you're doing the right thing! I would probably pour a bottle of olive oil too! And then try to start taking the knots with your fingers, trying to to pull at the roots, since they're sore.

Gee, if I was near your place I would run there to help you out! Maybe you can find someone who is gentle and ask to help you?

Best luck to you, I'm sure you can manage! :flower: :grouphug:

Lamb
January 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I am sorry. :( What a terrifying experience.
My first advice is to see a doctor to make sure your scalp is OK. That would worry me more than the hair.
Second - once you have made sure your scalp will be fine and you are allowed to wash your hair (your doctor may prescribe some ointment on the affected part of the scalp!), assess the damage. If it's very bad, you may have to trim it back significantly in that area.
And while this may leave you with an uneven chunk of hair, remember all this could have ended much worse. :tmi:

Islandgrrl
January 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Oh, you poor thing. What an awful thing to have happen!

I don't have anything to add, advice-wise - you've gotten great advice from others! I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I hope you get your hair untangled and that your scalp is unharmed!

embee
January 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Gads. What a nightmare! Let it be a warning to all of us, for sure.

Yes, very carefully and gently try picking this well oiled/lubricated lump apart. Starting at the bottom and just working at it bit by bit. You've got a job ahead of you, that's for sure. Ouch.

Good luck and please do let us know how it goes. If you weren't so far away I'd come help.

YoginiCelestial
January 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
EEKS! Oh my, that's terrible! Sounds like you already have quite abit of really good advice!
The only time my hair really got tangled, was in my car's seatbelt strap. I got it twisted up in the roller that attaches to the top (interior side of the car)! Luckily I felt the tugging and stopped it in time before it was too late and slowly unrolled it. I am much more careful now!
I want to thank you for sharing your story, as it's very helpful!
I really hope that your hair will revive.... and that you and your hair have a speedy recovery! :)

camirra555
January 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Poor you! That's a horrible thing to go through. There has been a lot of good advice in this thread though. When you get it all detangled just be sure to give your hair some extra attention for the next month or so

camillacamilla
January 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. My husband did check and didn't see any cuts or abrasions to my scalp. It seems like the weak hairs popped out and the strong ones held on for the ride lol. Amazing how strong hair can be. Good thing I used to be a dog groomer- it sounds like the same thing as basically removing a matt from a dog. I was a very good groomer, and was good at removing matts and tangles without hurting the dogs, so I guess I get to be my own customer this time.

What embarrasses me the most is when my husband came home, I was lying face down on the bedroom carpet, crying like a baby, with the vacuum next to my head. If I hadn't been crying, it would have looked like a crime scene.I started bawling my eyes out when he said "just cut it". Through tears and a runny nose I said "You don't know what my hair means to me do you?" To which he replied, "I do now." I just felt like a pathetic weenie for doing something so stupid. So many times I bun my hair when I clean. Why I didn't this time, I don't know.

mugglemomof3
January 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
What a scary experience! I'm so glad you were able to get hubby to come home.

My only suggestion would be to get help. Four hands are better than two, especially since the helper will be able to see the tangles better.

I was at piano practice when I was a pre-teen and had waist-long hair. I leaned down to pet the dog while my teacher was on the phone, and my hair got wrapped around the middle of an oscillating fan. In a split second I had been yanked off the piano bench down to the ground and this fan's motor was sqealing and started smoking. It took my mom and the piano teacher three hours to get my hair untangled from that fan. My mom was bound and determined that I would not lose any length (this was my entire head of hair). My scalp hurt for days, and I think I remember soaking my head in cool water from time to time in the tub.

I wish you well in this. I think the slippery coney serum is a great idea.

flutterbudget
January 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
YIKES! I'm so sorry that happened! I don't have much advice other than what everyone else has said. Your silicone serum may be the best thing for detangling, but if you need a different super slidey coney conditioner I'd suggest L'Oreal Mega Moisture from Sally's. I hope your hair is feeling better soon!

Latin Tea
January 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Your husband gets a gold star for his heroic efforts! Mine would have said the same thing....'cut it'. Fortunately, you connected with him and he now understands how important your hair is to you. That is the silver lining as they say. :)

MagieNoire
January 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
sorry to hear about your accident. I had a similar knot in my hair (no motors though) and found that untangling each strand from above the knot, not from the bottom, worked best for me. Lots of slipperly stuff in the knot and then take a strand and test it for strength by gently wiggling it up. Did this for majority of hair that was able to be wiggled out of the knot, then cut each strand above the knot; this way there was no major chunk of hair missing. I had bra-length textured hair, so yes, it took a looong time. But worked out pretty well. Did have to finally cut off the (much smaller) knot. good luck.

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Oh ouch!!!!!!!!!!

From picking hideous mats out of Great Pyrs, take it slow, gentle hands and take some painkillers - I don't work on the Pyrs anymore if they don't have anything started, unless I'm just doing a full shave down - and that's not what you want to do!

Also, have someone help you get the major knots out. I'm thinking that if you do the work on your own, to move your hands right, you might be pulling on the knots more?

But I don't know what product would help - I agree that coney things would.

If you do reach the point of having to cut - try very very tiny snips "up" into a knot. I know from picking out Pyrs, if I do that, I can sometimes break down mats and not have to clip nearly as much.

I'm not trying to say your hair is anything like a pup's hair, it's just the only matting I know, I'm sorry if I offend you!

trillcat
January 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
This thread is a very good reminder to keep long hair up and away from danger. Very real danger, not just to our hair, but from serious injury.
I only have BSL hair, and it gets caught in stuff when I dont really think about it and leave it down when I know it should be up.
I am glad you only have a mess of a tangle to deal with, and not something more serious, like a partial scalping. Yes, that send shivers down my spine too, but it is what can happen, and worse.

Shorty89
January 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
No new advice, but hope your head feels better! I always wear my hair up to cook or clean now otherwise I'd have lots of horror stories.

Elenna
January 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
This thread is a very good reminder to keep long hair up and away from danger. Very real danger, not just to our hair, but from serious injury....

There are all sorts of mechanical dangers from fans to stoves to motors to vacuum cleaners and so on. We have to be aware of all possible dangers to our hair.

burns_erin
January 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Try getting an applicator bottle with a thin nozzle (like the ones for at home coloring), fill it with oil and wallow the tip into the mat. Squirt generously. This always worked well with DH. When we just coated the outside of the mat, the inside would be still dry and a major pain. Filling the mat from the inside out always worked wonders.

violeteyes
January 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM
yikes! Well, I guess this teaches all of us a lesson. I really hope that your hair turns out okay! If I could suggest one thing, I would suggest maybe soaking the tangled hair in a mixture of oils, conditioner, water let it air dry, then try and comb it out; this might really help soften the strands.

Ma'am
January 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. My husband did check and didn't see any cuts or abrasions to my scalp. It seems like the weak hairs popped out and the strong ones held on for the ride lol. Amazing how strong hair can be. Good thing I used to be a dog groomer- it sounds like the same thing as basically removing a matt from a dog. I was a very good groomer, and was good at removing matts and tangles without hurting the dogs, so I guess I get to be my own customer this time.

What embarrasses me the most is when my husband came home, I was lying face down on the bedroom carpet, crying like a baby, with the vacuum next to my head. If I hadn't been crying, it would have looked like a crime scene.I started bawling my eyes out when he said "just cut it". Through tears and a runny nose I said "You don't know what my hair means to me do you?" To which he replied, "I do now." I just felt like a pathetic weenie for doing something so stupid. So many times I bun my hair when I clean. Why I didn't this time, I don't know.

The only advice I have is re: a good conditioner - Paul Mitchell The Detangler. Works wonders.

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I probably never would have thought of the danger of this. I'm so sorry this happened to you. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/ShortcakePictures/bighug.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I probably would have been bawling like a baby too. I think most of us would.

Medievalmaniac
January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I am grateful that you are OK, though - it sounds like this could have gotten a LOT worse. :( So, thank goodness you are OK!!!!

tralalalara
January 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I hope nothing like this ever happens to me in the wood shop!
The rules say that I have to have my hair pulled back, but even in a ponytail, it can still hang over my shoulders.
I need to make sure I pull it into a bun every time now!

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
yikes! Well, I guess this teaches all of us a lesson. I really hope that your hair turns out okay! If I could suggest one thing, I would suggest maybe soaking the tangled hair in a mixture of oils, conditioner, water let it air dry, then try and comb it out; this might really help soften the strands.

Not sure, I'm thinking to NOT let the knot dry out now that it's been soaked - it'll dry tighter. But I won't swear to that.

camillacamilla
January 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Good news! With the conditioner still in my hair, I grabbed a towel, my silicone serum, a fine toothed comb, and a pair of thinning shears (worse case scenario) and sat down to work.I used more silicone on that lump of hair than I think I have ever used in my entire life. I got MOST of it out, until I got to the "core" where the hair was wound extra tight and somewhat melted/burned. I used my thinning shears to remove that last part. What I did not know initially because I was so focused on the rock hard lump of hair, was that a 5" x 5" patch of hair on the side had also gotten twisted and tangled rather badly as well, but not to the point of being burned into a lump. I discovered this after I got the lump out. I left it alone until I washed and conditioned my hair. When I had my conditioner in, I finger picked it apart, then finished it off with a wide tooth comb. I have been doing "search and destroys" for split ends, but no bald patches! I fell asleep at 7:30 PM last night after eating a HUGE dinner (not my routine at all).....my husband says it's because of the trauma I suffered lol.

Carolyn
January 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
It WAS a trauma! :grouphug: You deserve some comfort. What a horrible experience. I'm so glad to hear you got it untangled.

embee
January 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I am happy you got that done! Sounds like a lot of work, very careful and tedious, but you did the job. :)

Some time ago there was a story of a young woman who got her hair caught in something (sports related) and was partly *scalped*! :( I'm not sure if it was on the old board or this incarnation, but she was not a member here.

You're so fortunate this did not happen to you.

turtlelover
January 12th, 2010, 09:32 AM
This happened to a friend of mine at work years ago w/ a big paper shredder....it yanked her hair right into the shredder and trapped her head against it. In her case, they DID have to cut and she had some scalp damage. :(

camillacamilla
January 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
This happened to a friend of mine at work years ago w/ a big paper shredder....it yanked her hair right into the shredder and trapped her head against it. In her case, they DID have to cut and she had some scalp damage. :(

:agape:
Okay, new rule- anything with moving parts....especially with MOTORIZED parts....hair is up in a bun.

trillcat
January 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
:agape:
Okay, new rule- anything with moving parts....especially with MOTORIZED parts....hair is up in a bun.
Yup, yup, yup, BUNS. Not braids or a pony, that can sometimes be worse than leaving hair down.
I got google happy after reading this thread seeing if I could find a solution to untangling your clump of hair (glad you did it BTW!!!) and veered off into the subject of women being scalped in the workplace, frightning bad stuff.