PDA

View Full Version : Oiling

coscass
January 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Soo. I put my hair into sections and put on some EVOO. And slept on it. Hair feels okay but... Yeah. Is oiling ideal for dry, coarse hair? I'm looking for a quick remedy. Can I put more oil on and wash it out tomorrow? Leaving it on for 2 days won't ruin my hair, right?

whiteisle
January 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
No, I don't think you're going to ruin your hair. :) I myself have been sporting olive oil in mine for almost 24 hrs. I couldn't decide how I wanted to wash it so I oiled instead, threw it up and forgot about it. My hair couldn't be happier even though it's not much to look at in this state. lol

Oh and my hair is thick and borderline coarse and it loves oiling, especially olive.

katydid317
January 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I can't imagine it would hurt your hair to leave it on for 2 days. But I wonder if there is a point where it stops being helpful? Like there is only so much saturation happening?

How often is it good to oil your hair? Maybe you should just oil overnight every night and wash it out in the morning.

Jordan S.
January 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Yes I use it daily and it works great! I love it . My hair tends to become dry and brittle easily so it's a godsend.

coscass
January 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I can't imagine it would hurt your hair to leave it on for 2 days. But I wonder if there is a point where it stops being helpful? Like there is only so much saturation happening?

How often is it good to oil your hair? Maybe you should just oil overnight every night and wash it out in the morning.

This is my first time doing it. I guess I'll find out.

Dars
January 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I've left oil in my hair for 48 hours with no problems at all.

2peasinapod
January 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've left oil in my hair overnight, and while it didn't look great in the morning, it felt great. Especially after conditioning it.

jojo
January 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have oil in my hair every day and I only have had positive results!

coscass
January 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have oily hair. Like, REALLY oily. I'm pretty sure I overdid it. I did some the other night, went to bed, then did some more today. I CO'd twice, and rinsed really good, but still I have a feeling I'll be greasy. Oh well. I can always rinse again.. lol

Carolyn
January 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have oily hair. Like, REALLY oily. I'm pretty sure I overdid it. I did some the other night, went to bed, then did some more today. I CO'd twice, and rinsed really good, but still I have a feeling I'll be greasy. Oh well. I can always rinse again.. lolOften there is a learning curve when you start oiling for the first time. Lots of people put on too much oil to start. If your hair is greasy looking the next day just put it up and forget about it for the day if you have to go somewhere. Try CO'ing again the next day. Often the excess oil will soak in during the day and another CO will take care of that oily look. The next time you oil, use less oil. You'll find the amount that's right for your hair.

Arctic_Mama
January 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Just do a more clarifying poo, and no harm done. The greasy feeling is icky to us, but really good for your hair (especially if it is feeling rough or brittle) and prevents tangles wonderfully.

Olive oil is a heavier oil, you may have better luck with less oil (maybe five drops MAX, for a normal day and not deep conditioning) or with a lighter oil like coconut or jojoba.

aililiú
January 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
ive never oiled before--
so, this isnt something where you need to put a towel over the pillow or anything? :laugh:
does 5 drops do that much?

SlightlySoprano
January 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
as a newbie to oiling myself, I've learned that a little really REALLY REALLY goes a long way, especially with a heavier oil like EVOO!

HildeMV
January 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
What's EVOO?

SlightlySoprano
January 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Extra Virgin Olive Oil =EVOO

HildeMV
January 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Oh, OK thanks. :)

Star Eagle
January 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
This is the ultimate treatment for dry and damaged hair. It will put plenty of moisture back into stressed tresses/ Honey has a mild bleaching effect over time, so if you have color-treated or darker hair I suggest using dark molasses in this recipe. Do this right before bathing or showering because the warmer the oil stays, the more effective the treatment. Just be careful that you don't slip in the shower while rinsing it out!
1/4 cup of almond oil
1 tbsp honey or dark molasses, depending on hair type.
Put the oil and honey in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high heat until warm to touch, about 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can warm the mixture in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Stir the warm moisture until thoroughly combined.
To use, apply the entire mixture to dry hair and massage it into your hair and scalp. Wrap your hair in a towel or put on a shower cap and leave the treament on for up to 30 minutes. then rinse thoroughly with warm water and shampoo as usual.
yield: 2 1/2 oz.

Aditi
January 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM
EVOO is a very heavy oil so you have to use it carefully in your hair, if you have over applied it then do a clarifying poo at the time of washing your hair otherwise EVOO is a very good oil for dry hairs.

Monsterkitti
January 11th, 2010, 02:21 AM
EVOO is pretty heavy so its easy to overdo it, as everyone has said, its practice to get the right amount to not end up all greasy :) I find coconut is much lighter and sinks in quicker if I over oil with it, maybe try that if you cant get EVOO to work for you?

2 days is fine to leave it on, I oil daily and my hair loves it.

aililiú - 5 drops is pretty much enough for my ends , you can always add more later but taking it off is difficult :) I tend to oil just my ends and then bun my hair overnight, tucking the ends in so no oil on bedding and pillows :)

IttyBittyKitty
January 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I use EVOO every day now in the winter.
My hair soaks it up like a sponge and i need to use quite large amounts,i suggest you try a few drops at first and see if that works for you.
Dont worry about putting on too much,you can always wash it out!:)

Medievalmaniac
January 11th, 2010, 03:58 AM
When you shampoo after a heavy oiling, it works very well to use a clarifying shampoo in a C-W-C routine. I use the VO5 Vanilla Tea Mint kind for post-heavy oiling. The clarifying ingredients pull the oil out, but the conditioner maintains the softness and shine. Maybe you could try that?

jojo
January 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I do the occasional heavy oil and i mean dripping! the secret to getting it out is to put conditioner straight onto hair, dont wet it first and leave for a good 10 mins works every time!

Merewen
January 14th, 2010, 08:40 AM
This is the ultimate treatment for dry and damaged hair. It will put plenty of moisture back into stressed tresses/ Honey has a mild bleaching effect over time, so if you have color-treated or darker hair I suggest using dark molasses in this recipe. Do this right before bathing or showering because the warmer the oil stays, the more effective the treatment. Just be careful that you don't slip in the shower while rinsing it out!
1/4 cup of almond oil
1 tbsp honey or dark molasses, depending on hair type.
Put the oil and honey in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high heat until warm to touch, about 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can warm the mixture in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Stir the warm moisture until thoroughly combined.
To use, apply the entire mixture to dry hair and massage it into your hair and scalp. Wrap your hair in a towel or put on a shower cap and leave the treament on for up to 30 minutes. then rinse thoroughly with warm water and shampoo as usual.
yield: 2 1/2 oz.

Doesn't warming the honey like that get rid of the lightening effect?

I can't speak for your texture, but I have oil in my hair in some form pretty much constantly and it has been nothing but good for my hair. I wash my hair once a week-ish these days.

Spike
January 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Count me in with the daily oil folks. I like Nightblooming's mix from her etsy store--insert no affiliation disclaimer. 3-5 drops on towel-dried hair leaves my hair soft and not greasy, easy to measure and apply, one large bottle has lasted over a year so far.

bumblebums
January 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I don't use EVOO because I don't use shampoo. I have found that pretty much every time I've over-oiled, I can get my hair back to dry, shiny and bouncy with egg yolk.

It used to confuse me when people would talk about the amount of oil to put in hair. Sometimes it is said that the amount should be enough to fit on a fingernail... Well, on my fingers, a fingernail is about the size of a coin. The thumbnail is almost as big as a nickel, whereas the pinky is the size of a small shirt button. I think what people really mean is "the part of the fingernail that extends off a finger," which is also really imprecise, since the length of a "free" fingernail can vary from 0 mm to several feet.

Anyway, when I use jojoba oil, I use 3 to 4 drops of it, rub my palms together, and then oil the last four to five inches of my hair. With coconut oil, I use an equivalent semi-solid amount. It should form a light coating on your hands. The night before a wash, I go crazy and oil my hair roots to ends, so it's almost dripping with oil. This works especially well with coconut, possibly because it is said to penetrate the hair shaft.