PDA

View Full Version : shedding like crazy!!! what gives??

redneckprincess
January 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
ok so normally I dont shed much (since I have been taking biotin...over a year), I mean like 10 hairs a week, now...for the past week or so, every time I touch my hair I pull back tons (ok like 10-20) of shed hairs...what gives?

I just started taking MSM about a month ago (dec. 18) could that be to blame? I thought one of the benifits of MSM was a reduction in shedding?

Gumball
January 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
There are lots of possible reasons for sheds, whether it's seasonal, body catching up from stress a long while back, among other things. Also 10 hairs a week is far under average shedding, since average can be 50-100 a day or more.

Supplements can do different things for different people, too. MSM has been known to give some people headaches for example. If you're worried it's the MSM try going off it for a little while and see if that changes anything.

ETA: Also when you pull out hair that you think is shed I would check for bulbs to see if it is actual shedding and not breakage.

jera
January 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
MSM shouldn't cause shedding, but if you're concerned, take Gumball's advice and withdraw from it for a while and see what results you get.

Even 20 hairs a day is not an excessive shed. Normal is up to a hundred hairs a day. Shedding can also be seasonal. Are you in a cold dry climate where you don't get as much fresh air during the day at this time of year? That causes my sheddies when I get 'em. :rolleyes:

spidermom
January 10th, 2010, 02:55 PM
No problem, I think. Sometimes one sheds more, sometimes less, and as long as you aren't getting bald spots or significant hair thinning, it all falls within the range of normal. A couple of weeks ago I was getting a small palm-full of hair every time I washed it. Lately it's only been about 5-10 hairs, although I am sure I shed more than that judging by how much hair I pull off rugs and furniture with my vacuum.

redneckprincess
January 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
MSM shouldn't cause shedding, but if you're concerned, take Gumball's advice and withdraw from it for a while and see what results you get.

Even 20 hairs a day is not an excessive shed. Normal is up to a hundred hairs a day. Shedding can also be seasonal. Are you in a cold dry climate where you don't get as much fresh air during the day at this time of year? That causes my sheddies when I get 'em. :rolleyes:

thats an idea, but I dont want to go off it just yet I want to stay on it untill my next measure so I can see if there is a diffrence..and see if one out weighs the other..(if like you say a shed of 20 a day isnt bad)

it is excessive though for what Im used to!!

yes it has become very cold and dry here in Michigan USA. and I dont get out of the house much to at all in this season..

Speckla
January 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
That isn't excessive. You're probably shedding hairs during the day that are falling out when you don't notice. I know that I shed nearly 100 per day and have a nice critter when I detangle. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

curlylocks85
January 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
thats an idea, but I dont want to go off it just yet I want to stay on it untill my next measure so I can see if there is a diffrence..and see if one out weighs the other..(if like you say a shed of 20 a day isnt bad)

it is excessive though for what Im used to!!

yes it has become very cold and dry here in Michigan USA. and I dont get out of the house much to at all in this season..

I read over on NaturallyCurly.com, that MSM takes six weeks to get into your system and start working. I have also read that many starting noticing a difference after 3-4 months of use.

It could be that you just did not notice the shedding before. If I could only shed 5-10 hairs a day I would very happy.

Good Luck!

jojo
January 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
ok so normally I dont shed much (since I have been taking biotin...over a year), I mean like 10 hairs a week, now...for the past week or so, every time I touch my hair I pull back tons (ok like 10-20) of shed hairs...what gives?

I just started taking MSM about a month ago (dec. 18) could that be to blame? I thought one of the benifits of MSM was a reduction in shedding? still pretty low in shed terms, garlic capsuals help with shed too! might just be your body adjusting to the msm, i started on the msm around the same time and shed hardly any, just added glucosamie as the 2 work together, just posted on the photo thread to you about this!!!