PDA

View Full Version : Immediate observation upon switch to natural hair care

losgan
January 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'm switching to all-natural hair care, as of this morning. And though this isn't surprising when I think about it, I was appalled when I saw with my own eyes how my previous regiment was "working."

In years past, I would jump from one shampoo/conditioner combination to the next as almost all would eventually irritate my scalp. Then I discovered John Frieda "Radiant Red" products. They seemed to brighten my natural red, give it shine, and not irritate my sensitive scalp. Great!

Other than an unfortunate highlighting incident in 2003, I've never colored my hair and haven't had a perm or used hairspray since "big bangs." I did use pommade for a while after the "divorce chop." But my color seemed to be changing, so enter a now discontinued John Frieda glaze.

Eventually these started irritating my scalp too, and much of the rest of my life is becoming all natural (cleaners, laundry soap, etc.). So I bought some sweet almond oil, lavender EO, vinegar, and CV shampoo bars, and an "auburn" kit from PLH.

This morning, I started with an oil treatment - PLH Rosemary and Nettle. My first shock, the red/orange residue trickling into the drain as I washed my hands after massaging the oil into my scalp and APL strands.

After doing some household chores and reading with my hair up (~2 hours), it was time for my first (and second) shampoo bar (carrot milk & honey). Wow, the lather! I never expected such rich, luxurious foam from a few swipes along my length! More orange residue (definitely not from the bar despite the carrots) flowing down the drain. Starting to feel a bit of the funk associated with the switch to shampoo bars, but I'm ready with a warm PLH red rose & lemon balm ACV rinse, which I've left in.

As my hair dries, a wave of the likes I haven't seen since pictures from when I was 2 or 3 is gracing my significantly lighter hair. I dusted the tips with sweet almond oil laced with lavender EO.

I'll try to get a picture once its dry. I had always thought I was pretty good to my hair and had no idea it was covered in a masking residue meant to make it appear more red, shining, straight, and slick than its true nature may turn out to be!

Now to ponder the possibility of henna if I decide I'm disappointed with my TRUE natural color!

amoulixes
January 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm glad to hear you're having a great experience! I, too, had some shocking moments when I started changing to more natural products. :)

losgan
January 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Not sure if this will work, but this is an attempt to post an almost dry picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?source=androidclient#photo/amarieharvey/5425202802032106257/5425202919682878658

*girlypearl*
January 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hello! So glad you had a positive experience with the naturals. I have been debating doing this as well. Where did you find/purchase the sweet almond oil, lavender EO, other products etc.?

Dars
January 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
losgan your picture did not work, may I suggest the Test Board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17).

That milk and carrot shampoo bar sounds great!

Sissy
January 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
yay, I'm so glad for you! Here's to healthier hair!

losgan
January 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Where did you find/purchase the sweet almond oil, lavender EO, other products etc.?

Our local grocery chain has a natural, bulk foods/etc. section. It's a HUGE blessing, and I'm going to miss it when I move!

I imagine somewhere like Whole Foods or an herbal store would carry them as well.

When I can't find things like that in the store, Swanson Vitamins has great pricing - and reasonable shipping (save up before you order - its flat rate).

Centelleo
January 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I purchased some CV shampoo bar samples and one full-size (Tea Tree & Neem). I told myself I'd use up my old poo + condish combo (loaded with sulfates, synthetics, and cones) before I switched over but I'm nervous about the transition period.

Did you have to degunk/clarify your hair before starting the shampoo bars? My old shampoo + conditioner had cones in it and I occasionally used styling products with mineral oil and/or cones. If I can skip the waxy gunky transition period by clarifying, I would like to do so!

Thanks for posting your experiences; I'm now checking out PLH products!

losgan
January 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Did you have to degunk/clarify your hair before starting the shampoo bars? My old shampoo + conditioner had cones in it and I occasionally used styling products with mineral oil and/or cones. If I can skip the waxy gunky transition period by clarifying, I would like to do so!

I read up ahead of time

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampfaq.htm

... and CV has some GREAT advice about degunkifying.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm

I did vinegar rinses these first two times so far, and put a little oil on my ends before my hair dried - and it has been fine. It feels a little weird just after washing in the shower, but the vinegar rinse seems to fix that right up. I washed out my vinegar rinse this morning, and my hair still feels great!

So far so WONDERFUL!

Johanna
January 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
You've managed to make the whole ordeal sound kinda, well sensual. Maybe I'm just odd lol

Aer
January 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM
When I switched to shampoo bars, that was my reaction. I was pretty impressed. Congrats on your new routine.

losgan
January 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You've managed to make the whole ordeal sound kinda, well sensual. Maybe I'm just odd lol

Well, I'll take it as a compliment! I wasn't trying to ... *blush*

losgan
January 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
When I switched to shampoo bars, that was my reaction. I was pretty impressed. Congrats on your new routine.

Thanks! I just continue to be impressed. Today I'm looking a little more bright red - its overcast - maybe that's why?

spidermom
January 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Your picture is just a little box with a red x for me.