PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to wash my hair...

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM
It's been more than a week since i last washed my hair. I've been oiling and leaving hair alone all this time, and finally ends are soft and smooth and shiny :D

BUT, it's about time i wash it cause dandruff got out of hand and hair started to look limp and fine despite its actual thickness. I know that by the time i wash, my volume will be back and dandruff will be gone, just like shine and softness :( I'll end up with frizzy curls and crunchy ends no matter if i conditioned or oiled or not.

Anyone feeling the same? :shrug:

bahannas
January 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Are you only washing your roots? Washing the length can dry out your ends pretty quickly. Have you tried a scalp-only wash? That might protect your ends for awhile longer. You could also try shampooing and conditioning at the same time by leaving some condish on your ends while you wash. Another option is to double condition, once before you wash and again afterward.

I have the same problem as you quite often, my length is shiny and beautiful but my scalp is just plain gross! :rolleyes:

jasper
January 10th, 2010, 08:07 AM
That's kind of how I feel after a deep conditioning. I like how it feels and dread washing that away. To try to keep the shampoo off the ends, I put conditioner on the length and leave it on while I shampoo scalp only.

marikamt
January 10th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Have you tried CO? It is too much for me (leaving me limp and lank) but my hair is different than yours... my understanding is it cleans without over drying/ stripping... there is a thread on it.... it might be just what you need, cleaning but retaining the benefits of oiling, etc.....

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
i've been scalp-only washing for quite a long time (a few years) and seen no difference. leaving conditioner on gives me that greasy look; greasy BUT dry at the same time (imagine smearing hay bale with butter :/ oily outside but dry inside)

i've been doing deep oil treatments, hoping it will condition my hair a little. Maybe my problem is damaged ends?

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM

That's kind of how I feel after a deep conditioning. I like how it feels and dread washing that away. To try to keep the shampoo off the ends, I put conditioner on the length and leave it on while I shampoo scalp only.

i used to do that but scalp hair also goes frizzy after wash :(

Have you tried CO? It is too much for me (leaving me limp and lank) but my hair is different than yours... my understanding is it cleans without over drying/ stripping... there is a thread on it.... it might be just what you need, cleaning but retaining the benefits of oiling, etc.....
i don't think my hair likes conditioners, or maybe just coney ones. None of cone-filled hair products work for me. I've yet to find any cone-free conditioners in stores around here, i'll surely try CO when i find one. (will have to look healthy food stores for organic products, those are my only chance!)

jasper
January 10th, 2010, 08:26 AM
i've been doing deep oil treatments, hoping it will condition my hair a little. Maybe my problem is damaged ends?That sounds like a debate I read on here from time to time about what oil will really do for your hair. Generally, oil can protect, but won't add moisture to your hair. There are some conditioning things that may add moisture by allowing the hair to absorb it (honey? glycerine? avacado?), but oil could even seal hair from absorbing moisture. People have different results. But anyway, from your signature picture, I'd say your hair doesn't look damaged.

leaving conditioner on gives me that greasy look; I always rinse the conditioner when I'm rinsing the shampoo. I used to feel that conditioner made my hair look flat and go greasy quicker, so I would just avoid conditioner. That didn't work well as I got more length. But also as I got more length, I changed the way I wear my hair. I need updos for work now, and with buns or braids, flat hair just isn't the issue it once was.

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Are you only washing your roots? Washing the length can dry out your ends pretty quickly. Have you tried a scalp-only wash? That might protect your ends for awhile longer. You could also try shampooing and conditioning at the same time by leaving some condish on your ends while you wash. Another option is to double condition, once before you wash and again afterward.

I have the same problem as you quite often, my length is shiny and beautiful but my scalp is just plain gross! :rolleyes:

The CWC (double conditioning) sounds like it would work well! I do that all the time. That and oil pre-pooing helps protect the length from shampoo also. Coconut oil is good for that. Awesome that you brought that up!

Also, you're in Nashville? I'm in Clarksville :D, practically down the street, lol! And nice avi!

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'll be honest, I don't really shampoo or wash very often anyhow because I just like the way my hair feels too much. I may rinse with warm water and massage out any extra oil, but I like my ends to stay soft, so I stretch like a week or more. So I feel you on this one.

Perhaps you could do the CWC like mentioned above, or an oil pre-poo to protect your length?

redneckprincess
January 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Try just a condition wash, dont use shampoo...or (my husband came up with this idea actually) try purt plus shampoo/conditioner for your shampoo then use conditioner

bahannas
January 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
The CWC (double conditioning) sounds like it would work well! I do that all the time. That and oil pre-pooing helps protect the length from shampoo also. Coconut oil is good for that. Awesome that you brought that up!

Also, you're in Nashville? I'm in Clarksville :D, practically down the street, lol! And nice avi!

Thanks! :p And yes, I live near downtown Nashville. I haven't been to Clarksville in awhile but thats so cool that you live nearby! :D

Roseate
January 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
i don't think my hair likes conditioners, or maybe just coney ones. None of cone-filled hair products work for me. I've yet to find any cone-free conditioners in stores around here, i'll surely try CO when i find one. (will have to look healthy food stores for organic products, those are my only chance!)

You're in Tennessee? They don't have Suave, White Rain or Vo5 there? Well, if not, try looking at whatever the cheapest conditioner available in your area is; super-cheap conditioners are often cone-free and great for CO.

Remember that the ingredients with names like "methyl...one" are not silicones but preservatives, sometimes people get fooled by that.

klcqtee
January 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I've yet to find any cone-free conditioners in stores around here, i'll surely try CO when i find one. (will have to look healthy food stores for organic products, those are my only chance!)

If you're in the US, Garnier has a Triple Nutrition conditioner (with the three kinds of oil advertised on the bottle) that is cone free, and available at most grocery stores.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 11:45 AM
You're in Tennessee? They don't have Suave, White Rain or Vo5 there? Well, if not, try looking at whatever the cheapest conditioner available in your area is; super-cheap conditioners are often cone-free and great for CO.

Remember that the ingredients with names like "methyl...one" are not silicones but preservatives, sometimes people get fooled by that.

If you're in the US, Garnier has a Triple Nutrition conditioner (with the three kinds of oil advertised on the bottle) that is cone free, and available at most grocery stores.

problem is that i live in Turkey :D I'll read the ingredients next time i go shopping for a hair product. :)

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM

i used to do that but scalp hair also goes frizzy after wash :(

If you go to a Krogers or any grocery store, they have Suave, which is ALWAYS on sale, lol...Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze and Coconut are cone-free. I got a 30 oz bottle of Ocean Breeze for $1.66 at my local Krogers...

But yeah, the Suave Naturals, V05 and White Rain lines are mostly cone-free and dirt cheap, so stock up if you can!