PDA

View Full Version : My back from gunky straw story

Suze334
January 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Ever since I did a spontaneous raw egg and mayo treatment on my bsl hair about a month ago my hair became increasingly awful. It became rough and tangly to the point where I decided to go back to cones just to deal with the rat's nests I was getting daily. So I went out and bought several cond's with cones and tried them all when I got home. YUCK!
My hair was so gunky and flat. It did comb out easier but not incredibly so. So I knew I wanted to get back to being cone free. I did a clarifying wash that was really hard on my hair but I knew was necessary. My hair was in shock after but I committed myself to treating it with cone free products until it was happy. I did a smt with Suave coconut cond. honey and aloe juice. My hair was improved but not all I hoped for. Still a bit rough and dry. Today I put alot ofGarnier fructis triple nutrition fortifying cream cond on my dry hair then showered.
I feel I have my hair back. I think my hair does not like protein and cones. Does anyone have ideas for baby fine hair like mine? I would love to hear them. I am telling my story partly because the idea of cutting it all off went through my head and I'm so glad I didn't. :D

ravenreed
January 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Ah, yes. Well both mayo and eggs contain a lot of protein. My hair hates protein in all its forms, so I avoid it.

My mom has the finest hair I have ever seen. I can barely see the individual hairs they are so thin. She is happy with aloe gel. It seems to give her hair just a bit of weight to it.

rogue_psyche
January 10th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Are you looking for recommendations for cone-free, protein-free products? I like GVP Conditioning Balm, which is a generic of Biolage Conditioning Balm.

Suze334
January 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Yes, I am. Thanks to both of you.

Kaijah
January 10th, 2010, 08:01 AM
That Triple Nutrition really is awesome, isn't it? :D

My hair loathes protein. If I use it in any sort of large amount, my hair will literally get so dry the tips break off. (I did a major protein treatment, too, once. Unfortunate finding before I really knew what I was doing with products.) Live and learn, I suppose.

I have to recommend the ever popular Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, or the Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner. (They're both pretty strong/unique scents. If you hate florals, you might have to avoid them.) They're both pretty thick and heavy, but you can thin them out with a little water if you need to. You don't need much for them to work in any case, so that balances out the slightly higher cost per bottle. I can use them as leave ins, though, with no problems - just gloriously soft and conditioned hair.

Seconding the recommendation for Generic Value Product (GVP) Conditioning Balm that Sally's Beauty Supply carries, that's also pretty nice. They also have Aura Cherry Almond Bark conditioner. It's lighter than the others, but still conditions really well without any chance of weighing down hair. It also smells really yummy.

I know both the Aubrey conditioners are cone free, as is the GVP balm. The Aura conditioner used to have cones and was reformulated awhile back - but check the bottle just in case to make sure you don't get an older one if you want to try it.

Have you tried experimenting with straight oils? I love virgin coconut oil, but I can see how it might be too heavy for finer hair. I think pure camellia oil might be a good choice, too.

Fractalsofhair
January 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
My hair loves protein, but for fine hair, oiling it a little bit can be helpful(I also have very fine but thick hair.). Coconut oil works wonderfully for my hair, as does shea butter. (My hair is VERY thick, in terms of number of strands, but very fine.) Suave coconut(if it's the naturals) does have a lot of protein in it. However, coconut oil, despite not having any protein in it if properly processed can retain protein and prevent it from being washed out, which can be an issue for some people.

VO5 and Suave naturals are cone free, as is Burt's Bees(I love their deep conditioner. Super shiny just isn't worth it. It's very volumizing and drying.). They're mostly pretty light on protein. I love Alaffia, but it does have a bit of protein. The creme is cone free, and a lot of people like it. I tried it, and it just seemed greasy, since my hair loves protein. Essence by Samy is very drying and the conditioner has a lot of protein in it, so you might want to stay away from it. Avoid products that say "With protein" or amino acids, or keratin if you don't like protein.

klcqtee
January 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hm, if I were you, I'd take the cone free conditioner, and spread it all over my dry hair, and let it soak in for a couple hours. Then wash. This helps my hair recover. You could also try soaking it in castor oil, or EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) before washing.

I did a protein over load recently. The conditioner soak saved my hair.

Teacherbear
January 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
My hair doesn't like protein or cones, nor does it like oils. That leaves me with shampoo and conditioners. I have been using Giovanni* shampoo and conditioners for about 8 years. Every now and then I'll use something else, but it is only a one-time thing. Once every month or two I'll mix some baking soda into my shampoo to clarify, just in case my hair needs it. A couple of times per month I'll do a CO for lighter cleansing.

I buy my Giovanni products at Whole Foods. Sometimes I can find it at other stores (like Ulta when they have their buy 1 get 1 free sale). I use Smooth as Silk Shampoo, Smooth as Silk Conditioner, and Direct Leave In Conditioner.

Kaijah
January 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I forgot about Burt's Bees! I agree with Fractalsofhair though, their Super Shiny conditioner did crap for my hair. Just poof. Their Shea and Grapefruit deep conditioner was pretty nice though. None of their shampoos were nice to me.

I use Smooth as Silk Shampoo, Smooth as Silk Conditioner, and Direct Leave In Conditioner.

I thought the Smooth as Silk shampoo had one cone it in (dimethicone I think)?? Did they reformulate?

lisabrown
January 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Im protein sensitive and i've been using giovanni 50 50 moisturizing conditioner. it has a small amount of soy extract, (well they call it extract, I still say its protein) in it and it's not bothering me at all..at least not yet..but in case it does my back up will be the aura cherry bark

Merewen
January 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
If you decide to look for Giovanni, shop around. I get mine at the local health food store for at least four dollars less than at the chain grocery.

Willow
January 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Usually when hair turns instantly dry-feeling and tangly, the cuticle is raised. The cuticle can be raised by an alkaline substance like eggs (ph of 8-9). It will not close back down until you get the ph right. The normal ph level of hair is 4.5-5.5..slightly acidic. Some conditioners are acid balanced and some are not. I would suspect that your cuticle was raised by the egg/mayo treatment and then you finally found an acid balanced conditioner that closed it for you. Just my .02. :D

lisabrown
January 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
If you decide to look for Giovanni, shop around. I get mine at the local health food store for at least four dollars less than at the chain grocery.

yeah I know. they always like to jack up the price on that stuff..it baffles me!!!!!:(...i have my health store here in town order it for me and i still pay less:D

Suze334
January 27th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hey- thanks everybody. I wonder if acv would help with the cuticle?