PDA

View Full Version : Do you use product on your hair?

lol21
January 9th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I know a lot is bad, but just a little like a wax or a bit of gel, or serum

Olde Soul
January 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I use FX Silk Drops and/or Infusium 23 if I plan on wearing my hair down, both are basically serums.

lol21
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I use FX Silk Drops and/or Infusium 23 if I plan on wearing my hair down, both are basically serums.

they have serums?

I know they carry the leave in conditioners

GoddesJourney
January 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Nope. Never anymore. I used to on rare occassion. Long ago (the last time I had nice hair) I used to use rose water every day after my shower while my hair was wet.

Wicked Princess
January 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM
On days where my hair desperately needs that special "something" but oils and deep conditioning won't do, I use CHI Silk Infusion. It's the only thing with silicones in it I own.

I'll probably use it two or three times a month.

Dars
January 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Rarely I will use some hairspray, mostly on my fringe. Apart from that I hate hair products.

ravenreed
January 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
If I have a dance performance and my hair needs it, I will use gel or spray or what ever. Other than that, I usually don't.

Gumball
January 10th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'll leave a little conditioner in my hair post-wash, but aside from that my only other products might be aloe gel or coconut oil. Aloe hasn't been used much in a long time either. Poor little bottle!

Olde Soul
January 10th, 2010, 12:54 AM
@lol21:
You're right, the Infusium's technically a leave-in. It's just that my industrial size bottle is from 1991 and is getting a little serum-like.

pepperminttea
January 10th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I don't, apart from coconut oil. I've never found one that I liked enough to still use; the beauty industry kind of failed when it came to me.

GlassEyes
January 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Yep, everyday, even if I wear my hair up. Commercial products too, not just oils and butters.

My hair is fine.

walterSCAN
January 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Nope, I never really have... My hair just doesn't like it that much, and I'm really too lazy to put stuff in my hair. The only thing I've ever really used (for about 4 months, then I quit) was Alterna's Hemp Seed Oil Thickening Compound. It wasn't bad, and I mostly used it for the smell, but then the laziness kicked in... :shrug:

Carolyn
January 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Now and then I'll use a leave in or sometimes an oil, but those are for conditioning and not styling. I'll use an Aveda shine product (can't think of the name but it's in a little blue/gray pump) if I'm wearing it down and I want a lot of shine. When my hair was shorter, above mid back, I used a lot of products. I don't really remember what they were.

pinchbeck
January 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Never. My hair normally gets a light coating of a carrier oil and that's it!

spidermom
January 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Absolutely! I use CHI Silk Infusion about once per week because it helps a lot with the tangles. I use Natures Gate Styling Putty to stroke down all the shorter hairs that frizz out over the surface of my hair so that I don't look like a Chia Pet.

Kris Dove
January 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Serum if I'm wearing it down and want to impress, and a little gel if I don't have time to wash to help disguise the grease.

Buddaphlyy
January 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Yes I do. Gels, serums, leave-in, or grease, whatever I feel my hair needs that day. The only thing I don't use is spritz. That's murder to the hair.

Copasetic
January 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I always use product on my hair. If I am wearing it down I use a curl cream and gel and if I am wearing it up I use oil and a leave in conditioner.

momtofour
January 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I don't like product. To me, it defeats the purpose of washing your hair; to take this freshly washed hair and gunk it up. I am a shampoo user, and I always do two latherings. I love squeeky clean hair. The only thing I put in it is Frederick Fekkai glossing cream, as a de-tangler, and a quick spritz of hairspray just on my bangs when going out. I LOVE beautiful, shiny, natural hair. That's one of the reasons I grew it out.

jaine
January 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Mine would look odd without something in it - either a leave-in conditioner, or gel, or oil - something to tame the puff.
Puffy is not a good look for me at this length. :)

Stormy1
January 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I use a bit of hairspray on the fringe only but just a smidge.

Morrighan
January 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Only if you consider oils to be products. Then I use olive, coconut, and jojoba oil. No styling products though.

I use Natures Gate Styling Putty

Haha! At first I thought you said silly puddy. I had to go back and read that.

Yozhik
January 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I never really mastered product very well. Back when I did put in stuff, it was mostly Aussie leave in conditioner or Garnier, or the like. I never really figured out if it did that much. Now I pretty much stick to coconut oil. I tried aloe once, but wasn't positive I liked the crispy feeling on the ends.

BrightEyes
January 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Yes I do. Sometimes I think I use product more out of habit rather than out of need. I definitely will use a leave-in or mousse before blow-drying. I am trying to reduce the amount of hairspray that I use, since it contains alcohol.

Gypsy069
January 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I do not use anything on my hair. Even in HS i hated hair spray. Hehe. I remember the only time i tryed to spike it for a talent show. The girls put so much junk in my hair i ttook me almost 2 weeks to get it all out and my hair still fell 30 min later. LOL. The girls were bummed.

Peter
January 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Nope, nothing. I used to use olive or coconut oil on my ends but now I've found that with scalp massages I really don't need them.

bumblebums
January 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Nope. A little bit of oil, and that's it.

When I had short hair, I would always use some sort of goop to hold it together, too. With longer hair, I used to use a leave-in conditioner (Nexxus, Mop, and some others) to protect my hair, and it works a bit like a styling product. Now that I've stopped using product, my hair stays clean longer. I find that it doesn't seem to need product when it's in better condition.

Sissy
January 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I use leave-ins everytime after I shower. I either use Biosilk Silk Therapy, GVP Generic Sebastion Potion 9, or Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Giovanni Vita-pro Fushion Leave-in. Recently I tried using some of my fav. conditioner Yes to Carrots as a leave in and that worked well. I also trid my Japanese Camellia Oil and it worked nicely. My hair likes leave-ins... it helps cut down on the frizzies and hopefully helps to give it some protection and seal moisture in this dry, wintry climate!

SlightlySoprano
January 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Sometimes I'll use just a little bit of the garnier fructise sleek and shine serum, but i've been using EVOO over that recently

abritta3
January 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I use a clear, light gel for my curls and an organic (Giovanni brand) leave in treatment.
I do use jojoba and coconut oils too

ArienEllariel
January 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Nope. I know I could use some on occasion to tame the fly aways that pop up all over my head, but I never could find a commercial serum or leave-in that I liked. Most just weighed down my hair and made it look lank and crunchy. Natural= happy hair for me. :)

AlleyKitten
January 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I've used mousse a couple times, for a Halloween costume or for rag curls. Other than that, no, just oil or leave-in. It's it's really flyaway, I'll sometimes dampen it with water before styling it. I hate the feeling of having "gunk" in my hair.

Nae
January 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Nope, I just don't seem to mess with product anymore. Even when I got my hair cut short and was supposed to use that pomadey wax stuff, I would only get around to it like twice a week and so the "style" that I cut all my hair off for never seemed to materialize. :rolleyes: Short hair is just too much dang work for me.

Pumpkin
January 11th, 2010, 04:58 AM
When my hair was cut into a pixie I used 'paste wax' to spike my hair, but since I am growing it out, I don't use any product after washing and conditioning my hair.

IttyBittyKitty
January 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I use a bit of serum when my hair get attacked by tangles,but other than that i try to stay away from styling products as much as i can.

Anje
January 11th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I've been trying out leave-ins, serum, and the like for a few months now, but I honestly don't like the weird texture they give my hair. I'm at the verge of tossing/passing along all those products. Oil has its downsides (lint! cat fuzz!), but I like how it makes my hair feel and handle so much better than all those fake silicone-y things.

jesamyn
January 11th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I've always gone light on products, as my hair rebelled if I used more than one or two even when it was short. I use a dab of Nature's Gate Daily Herbal as a leave-in, and aloe vera gel or a harder-hold gel for taming flyaways or wearing down.

rhubarbarin
January 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
My hair is always coated in tons of stuff. Every time I wash I leave in conditioner, then add a gel (or two) or curl creme on top of that to reduce frizz and define curls. I also oil my dry hair with extra-virgin olive oil.

Most products I use are 'natural' (or plant-oil-based) so my hair is over-moisturized if anything. I don't use products with silicones, they make my hair very dry.

Kaijah
January 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I usually leave in lots of conditioner, shea, and some coconut oil. My hair just gets happier the more moisture it's left with - it doesn't really get producty feeling with these.

I don't use any gel/mousse/coney serums though. I just can't get over the crunchiness, even after scrunching.

Centelleo
January 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'm a kind of low-maintenance wash-n-go type so after a wash, I used to put a mixture of gel + Frizz-Ease serum in my wet hair. I've weaned myself off of both since the gel had so much alcohol in it and the Frizz-Ease was just a bunch of silicones.

Occasionally, I will use hairspray but that too has silicones so I will need to find something else to control flyaways in my daily style (I usually wear my hair pulled back, looped, and pinned in a low bun with the bangs pinned back). My other favorite product is Kevin Murphy's Easy Rider but I just found out it has mineral oil (dang it!) so I'll need to discontinue use of it too.

I occasionally oil with argan or emu though.

Eden Iris
January 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I use conditioner (Giovanni Soft as Silk) and aloe gel mixed together in my palms and smoothed over my hair. I don't know if this counts as a style holding product, but it cuts down on frizzies and gives a bit of wave definition.

Buddaphlyy
January 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I don't like product. To me, it defeats the purpose of washing your hair; to take this freshly washed hair and gunk it up. I am a shampoo user, and I always do two latherings. I love squeeky clean hair. The only thing I put in it is Frederick Fekkai glossing cream, as a de-tangler, and a quick spritz of hairspray just on my bangs when going out. I LOVE beautiful, shiny, natural hair. That's one of the reasons I grew it out.

Not to nitpick, but if you're using FFGC and hairspray, isn't that pretty "unnatural"?

Alexannee10
January 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm using a lot of products in fact .. oil, butter, and leave-in conditioner. And shampoo, conditioner also :)

Islandgrrl
January 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Oil or a little shea butter on the ends. Nothing else.

Qamar
January 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I've never liked hairspray, gels, pomades etc. I don't like "stuff" in my clean hair. I do use some oils as leave-ins though if that counts. I alternate between camellia oil, emu oil and argan oil depending upon how thirsty my hair seems to be on wash day. Aside from that I don't use what would traditionally be considered product.

violeteyes
January 11th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Really, the only thing I add is a little leave-in conditioner. I use either my pureology instant repair or just a tiny bit of my loreal everpure mousture conditioner as a leave-in.

Bonkers57
January 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM
In the winter my hair holds a style a lot longer than in summer, so I don't need much of anything except a light spritz (Samy 'Skyscraper' Hairspray) on my bangs. When its gets hot and humid, all bets are off. Even Superglue won't hold my hair. That's the main reason I'm growing it. When it's hot and I'm sweaty (which is most of the year here), my hair will be back in a pony or a bun and I won't look completely feral. I can wash the bangs by themselves.

HKay
January 13th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Usually I don't because like some of the posters here, I hate the idea of "stuff" in my clean hair. HOWEVER, last week I discovered flax-seed gel and I've used it after every wash since then (basically 3 times). Tames the frizz-flyaways a bit and does not leave a crunchy feeling.

kelly-j
January 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM
No, I never do. I really donīt think that my hair needs it.

Liss
January 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
All my life I never used anything on my hair... until I decided that I wasn't going to give up the blow-fryer. So now I use a heat protection spray by Dove in the orange bottle.

Charlotte
January 13th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I have to use some kind of product in my hair after washing because it is so fine and "fluffy" without. It has absolutely no definition and looks dreadful unless I use something to put a very light coating on top. :o :p

Prettychild
January 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Hi Olde Soul, can you tell me where you found the FX Silk Drops in the UK? I am looking for this product but can't find it. Thanks for the help.

Newbie recovering from BC