PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with extremely dry and coarse hair?

Gamber_747
January 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
How often do you shampoo and\or condition?

I have bought the complete loreal set for dry coarse hair. It has a shampoo, conditioner and an after shower leave in cream. I really ONLY need one thing with my hair and i.e as much silky as possible. I have extremely coarse and dry hair.

I am washing everyday so far but am having mixed results. Some day hair feels very soft after washing but other days not so much?

I have heard that dry hair shouldnt be washed everyday but I dont understand something. If I go for 48 hours without washing then my scalp gets extremely dry and starts feeling a little itchy as well with white flakes falling on my glasses at times. I mean if I let my hair dry so much then surely there isnt any long term improvement going on? I have heard that too much use of shampoo actually drys out hair, is it the case with moisterizing shampoos as well? My hair has never felt dryer after shampooing then they were before whenever I have used a moisterizing one.

Is it "ok" to condition hair everyday but not shampoo? Am I doing things right?

Btw that leave in cream is quite a wonder, it quickly counters all the frizz that comes with washing as it indeed claims to and it does provide good styling as well, the shine doesnt last very long though and I am having a suspicion that applying it all day is actually drying out hair more than it's helping, I'll see to that.

curlylocks85
January 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
How often do you shampoo and\or condition?

I have bought the complete loreal set for dry coarse hair. It has a shampoo, conditioner and an after shower leave in cream. I really ONLY need one thing with my hair and i.e as much silky as possible. I have extremely coarse and dry hair.

I am washing everyday so far but am having mixed results. Some day hair feels very soft after washing but other days not so much?

I have heard that dry hair shouldnt be washed everyday but I dont understand something. If I go for 48 hours without washing then my scalp gets extremely dry and starts feeling a little itchy as well with white flakes falling on my glasses at times. I mean if I let my hair dry so much then surely there isnt any long term improvement going on? I have heard that too much use of shampoo actually drys out hair, is it the case with moisterizing shampoos as well? My hair has never felt dryer after shampooing then they were before whenever I have used a moisterizing one.

Is it "ok" to condition hair everyday but not shampoo? Am I doing things right?

Btw that leave in cream is quite a wonder, it quickly counters all the frizz that comes with washing as it indeed claims to and it does provide good styling as well, the shine doesnt last very long though and I am having a suspicion that applying it all day is actually drying out hair more than it's helping, I'll see to that.

Gamber_747 I have dry coarse hair too. I used to scalp shampoo (Head&Shoulders) only and found that my hair would develop dandruff. I stopped and I no longer get dandruff. I also wash my hair once a week. This helps with the dryness for me. If I was everyday I can kiss any sort of softness goodbye.

As far as your scalp feeling dry and itchy, since you do use shampoo you may need to clarify. There may be product buildup.

I do not see anything wrong with conditioning everyday as long as your hair responds well to you method. I do not think it is about what is wrong and what is right in a general sense I think it is a large experiment and you just have to find what work “right” with your hair.

I find oils work wonders with my dry coarse hair. I use oil, jojoba, and tea tree oil.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Captain Nikki
January 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM
My hair is normally very dry. For the last approx 2 months i have been washing it basically everyday with conditioner only & for the last month or so with a cone free conditioner. My hair hasn't felt this good since i don't know when! It's damn hot here in Adelaide, Australia this time of year & i'm out walking or running up to an hour every morning, that's why i need to wash it so often.
I've been using sweet almond oil & coconut oil but the best thing i've found is to slather on some conditioner prior to my walk/run then when i get home i add some more conditioner & wash it out in the shower.

julliams
January 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I wash with Miessence Desert Flower shampoo and condition with any one of a variety of cone free conditioners that I have at the moment.

I comb my hair when the conditioner is in my hair, rinse with cold water and blot dry with a micro fibre towel. Then I put a leave in (Giovanni Direct leave in) and let my hair air dry until it's about 80% dry. At this point I put in a smidge of coconut oil and put my hair up in a damp bun. I find this is the key to my hair becoming less frizzy. The first day my hair is a little fluffy but then the next day I find it smooth and very easy to manage and style. I can normally let it go for about 3 - 4 days before I need to repeat.

I SMT once a week (after washing) and I've just started doing a coconut milk soak using lite coconut milk once a week or so as well which I do before I wash.

I've noticed a big difference to my hair - I actually like my hair now without any heat styling where that was a bit of a challenge for me before.

pelicano
January 10th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I have very dry hair (but it's fine, not coarse). I also have scalp issues. What works best for me is to shampoo only once or twice a week at the most, but water wash and condition mostly every day. So, what you do is scrub at your scalp as if you were using shampoo - it's the scrubbing motion that dislodges the skin cells, not the shampoo. I then condition.

If you're used to shampooing daily, you probably need to wean yourself off it, eg. move to every other day, with a water wash inbetween, etc. I actually went without shampoo for 4 months, but I'd personally never go 'cold turkey' again!

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM
same here, dry coarse hair and scalp problems :( there are stuff i've found out so far:

- stop using SLS shampoos. SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is a very strong detergent meaning that it dries the heck out of your hair (also ALS, Ammonium lauryl sulfate) look in the ingredient list of the shampoos. I'm using an organic one with none of these and my hair's considerably softer.

- do deep treatments using some hardcore oils like olive or castor (castor oil is also said to promote hair growth). Smother your hair dripping wet with these oils, wrap your head with a waterproof cap and let it sit overnight then shampoo out.

-They say camellia oil softens hair a lot, but i havent tried it yet.

- Do not try to lather the shampoo. On dry hair, lather usually means your hair has no oil left on it, which is NOT GOOD. Your hair will still become clean even if it does not lather.

- is your water hard or soft? Hard water leaves a layer of minerals on hair which makes hair look dull (same thing goes for "silicones" which's the active ingredient in most commercial hair-softening products, they build up on hair) if that's the case, get a clarifying shampoo and wash your hair with it. this will remove all kinds of buildup.

these are all i can think of now :D

klcqtee
January 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I also have extremely coarse hair, that is dry on the ends, and oily on top (woo!). My hair is naturally really coarse, but after dye damage, it has become head pubes all over!

If you flat iron your hair, or heat style, stop. That makes it worse. If you dye your hair with chemical dyes, stop. It makes things worse.

I do CO. This helps a lot. The best thing for coarseness is generally cones. I'm cone free because cones weigh down my hair, but cones tend to get slip and shine and silkyness. Stretching washes also helped. I only wash my hair twice a week.