PDA

View Full Version : Curly heads that don't brush or comb

coscass
January 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Do you EVER brush or comb? I was thinking about brushing my hair with a BBB, thinking maybe the oils would help my dry hair in the winter. Then I could just braid my hair or put it in a bun. Would brushing it really do more harm than good?

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
brushing curlies is generally not a good idea. Wide toothed wooden comb should do the trick!

Sister13
January 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Fingers rock!!! Massaging scalp, gentle detangling, making it all orderly. But combs are great for scritching. :-)

RocketDog
January 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I use this Goody 'ouchless' brush (http://www.goody.com/Products/Styling%20Tools/Brushes/Cushion/Cushion.aspx) but never on wash day - it makes for epic poof unless my hair is well-oiled. I mostly use it to help remove shed hair before I braid it for bed. I use a wide-toothed comb to detangle before and during my shower, and I use that plus a fine-toothed comb to style my hair when I want it sleek and smooth. When I wear it down and curly, I don't comb it, I just use my fingers to set it in order.

Cherry_Sprinkle
January 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
BBB's are murder for my hair.. I have pretty fine hair so that might be the reason but I have found that babies brushes (the kind you brush newborns hair with) really helps.. I never brush unless I have heavy oil and its just to smooth the oils down my hair shaft.. if my hair is very tangled and my fingers won't do, I use a large seamless wide tooth comb.

CTH3989
January 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Finger combing is awesome! I can comb out tangles, distribute shampoo/conditioner/oil, and give my head a good massage or scratch if necessary. Fingers are the only comb/brush that a curly head needs!

Merewen
January 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
A BBB could help distribute oils. Be careful and don't use it for tangles. Also, be aware of the "poof" factor. If you're just gonna put it up right away, though, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I would still probably recommend finger combing for the most part, but if you find a BBB works for you, then go for it!

Stubborn
January 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I never brush. Unless you count the rare finger combing I do. :)

curlylocks85
January 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I use a wide tooth bath comb on washday when my hair is lathered in conditioner and oil. I also finger comb but only to untangle. On occasion, I comb the ends when dry to untangle. I never use a brush, frizz city.

Debra83
January 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I only ever use a tangle teazer now, closest thing to a brush I use on my hair....goes through it with way less breakage, but still has an element of frizz left behind. I'll try and post a pic...I used it today.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=59886

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Nope. Just finger comb. I used to use a Jilbere shower comb and my Denman, but even that was causing hair issues.

Now I just stretch out my shampoos so that I don't have to detangle often (I wear my hair up), and I only finger comb when my hair is wet. Best thing for my hair ever!

Honey39
January 10th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Nope, never. I comb my hair out in the shower with a round shower comb (like a tangle teaser, I think), and then gently comb out when damp with a wide tooth comb. Don't try again after that, it just breaks my hair. Even finger combing isn't especially gentle; my hair clumps together, and separating those clumps isn't worth it. If I DON'T wash my hair each morning, I usually sort of manipulate it into looking normal! And wear it up or add product/water and scrunch.

GlassEyes
January 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I only comb or brush in the shower, either with my denman or a wide toothed, seamless comb. I never use any other brushes besides the denman though.

Teakafrog
January 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I never ever brush. The only time I comb in in the shower when my hair is coated in conditioner--that's when I detangle, with a wide tooth comb. I do use oils, but apply after hair has air dried.

rhubarbarin
January 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I don't use a comb or brush. I detangle a bit with my fingers in the shower, and sometimes I run my fingers through my dry hair a bit, but that's it.

When I apply leave-ins on wet hair, and oil on dry, I just squeeze it in or smooth my hands over the length.

I have hair that is freakishly tangle-free, FWIW.

Copasetic
January 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I NEVER brush. I don't even own one anymore. And I only comb once in a while. When I do comb, it is only when my hair is soaking wet with tons of conditioner in it.

If you are worried about dry hair you could try a bit of coconut oil.

Sweetness
January 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I NEVER brush wet

I usually comb dry very gently before washing (but it's veryyy gently). To comb I start with finger combing and do a scalp massage, then very wide teeth comb-combing. I do this because I don't have major knots like I used to (so it's not a battle at all) and I know wet hair is more fragile then dry. Of course when I comb it gets puffy though :p

--> Then, with lots of CO and water and my hair pre-combed dry, I softly finger comb it a little, distributing the co gently on the length of every strand of hair.

As soon as I'm out of the water, I usually don't comb anymore and if I apply anything, I'll usually do it with my whole hair length in my hands (head bent over forward) without dividing it with my fingers.

As for dry brushing before shower... very rare, and if I do it, I'll be after my whole hair is combed, with a very gentle natural brush, and it's to distribute some oil I put in there down every strand of hair (still, very softly). Not sure if it's a good idea though, I have reduced a lot the use of my brush since I heard it's so bad for curly hair... I would never put a brush in tight curls and uncombed hair, that's for sure.

Ok, I did it before and muscle-fought through and tangled round brushes in the mane and stuff, but I wouldn't anymore, it wasn't wise at all... :lol:

ps. I comb starting from the tip, slowly going up. Like in this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gwRVX7YzRw&feature=player_embedded

(But I never use a plastic brush like she does though.)

Kaijah
January 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I just finger comb 99.9% of the time. I occasionally comb through everything right before a wash with a wide toothed Hairsense bohn comb, and when I do I make sure I take my time and work from the bottom up. It just turns everything into super poof, lol.

I never brush. I've never found one that I felt was nice enough to my hair. As for BBBs... I know I've heard people say they're supposed to be nice for distributing oil, but they'll just lead to poof on my curls. If I want oil on the ends, coconut or jojoba works just fine. :)

Belisarius
January 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Finger combing is awesome! I can comb out tangles, distribute shampoo/conditioner/oil, and give my head a good massage or scratch if necessary. Fingers are the only comb/brush that a curly head needs!
i use a very wide spaced comb too, but only after finger combing. So i kinda agree with you, finger combing is good for curlies.

growingmyhair
August 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM
like almost everyone here already stated I finger comb, I don't even wanna think of brushing and my hair together, it makes me cringe

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I dinna brush my hair, can't remember the last time I did that. If I comb, it is usually when my hair is full of conditioner and carefully - with my Mason Pearson rake. On days other than wash day, I might use the aforementioned rake to carefully comb my hair out for updos etc.

Heidi_234
August 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm the occasional brusher :oops: Guilty as charged.

I use a tangle teezer to detangle it first and then Denman brush to throughoutfully brush it. Of course, each brush out will cause some amount of damage since you mess with your hair, but I personally consider it rather neglectful (since I don't brush my curls out way too often, just occasionally). I don't know, after dealing with heatstyling damage and bleach damage, brushing hair out doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. :shrug:

The only thing is that after you brush your hair out, it's just un-down-wearble. So you're basically committed to wear it up until the next wash. It's only an issue if you wash it infrequently like I do.

OtiggerificO
August 31st, 2010, 09:13 AM
My Dad has long, curly hair so I was brought up using a wide-toothed comb in the shower and finger combing at any other time. I've used brushes occasionally when I was younger but it poufed up my hair something rotten and the ripping sound through any knots kinda put me off using them ever again.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a BBB?

Quixii
August 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM
I brush my hair right before I get into the shower. The rest of the time I use my fingers or don't do anything.
Wide toothed combs kinda messed with my hair and didn't help much.

Cheeks1206
August 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Do you EVER brush or comb? I was thinking about brushing my hair with a BBB, thinking maybe the oils would help my dry hair in the winter. Then I could just braid my hair or put it in a bun. Would brushing it really do more harm than good?

If you're interested in the BBB for oil distribution, I don't see why you couldn't brush before you hop in the shower. I've thought of doing that bu I don't own a brush of any sort. I comb in the shower with a wide tooth comb and that's it. The thought f not brushing/combing ever gives the the shivers! I can jut imagine the tangles!

Arianwen
August 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
My Dad has long, curly hair so I was brought up using a wide-toothed comb in the shower and finger combing at any other time. I've used brushes occasionally when I was younger but it poufed up my hair something rotten and the ripping sound through any knots kinda put me off using them ever again.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a BBB?

Boar Bristle Brush.

suicides_eve
August 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I only brush my hair when my curls are on there last leg and need to be put back in a pony tail. Other then that; I use a wide tooth comb in the shower to de-tangle gently with conditioner.

OtiggerificO
August 31st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Boar Bristle Brush.

Thank you :)

GermanCurl
August 31st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I usually rake my fingers thru my hair with two exceptions:

use brush/comb while putting my hair in an updo
use a wide tooth comb on toweldry hair after applying gel