PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing "nothing" and getting results?

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't necessarily mean "absolutely nothing" but I'm wondering if anyone has just left their hair alone for a long period of time and acquired significant results?

I've read the W/O and O/O threads and noting that there are some people who are getting results with little to no product and infrequent washing/shampooing. Put that together with low manipulation and wearing updos and buns everyday, and I'm figuring there must be somebody that just wears his/her hair up and does nothing else.

Do any of you just "neglect" your hair and find that it works?

I'm asking because a few days ago, I washed and oiled my hair (my hair is thick, coarse and curly, so it can take oiling) and put it in a loose bun. It's completely dry now, but it seems to be doing just fine without me touching it. I already don't wash often anyhow, and I'm figuring, "Why not just leave my hair absolutely alone for as long as possible?"

What do you guys think about that? I'm sure it'll work better for those with dry hair though.

GoddesJourney
January 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
We call it "benign neglect". Wash it when it needs washing. Wear it out of the way. Try not to do anything bad to it. Otherwise, ignore it. Yes. Great results.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
We call it "benign neglect". Wash it when it needs washing. Wear it out of the way. Try not to do anything bad to it. Otherwise, ignore it. Yes. Great results.

Awesome! I feel like a newbie, since it's been a few months since I've posted. But I'll be sure to look that up. I figured it would give good results, since you're practically doing nothing to it. But thanks for your response!
-----
Anyone else doing this?

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM

I feel like trying this out ... Being gentle with it, but sort of trying to stop fussing and just let it be and ignoring it a little (& keeping it out of the way)... will do.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks what's come out of this... (if I actually stop thinking about it :lol:)

JenniferNoel
January 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Well, when it comes to growing hair and taking care of it, it really is more a matter of what you shouldn't do than what you should do.
Of course, there are things that can help the hair, of course (i.e. you can condition, oil, etc; as much as you need, but use the wrong brush, leave it down in high winds, bleach it, etc; and still have ample damage), but generally my hair in particular loves benign neglect.
I love sitting back and letting my natural oils do their thing while my hair is up and out of harms way, and I always just wash, condition, etc, when it is needed. Less seems to always be more for me.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Well, when it comes to growing hair and taking care of it, it really is more a matter of what you shouldn't do than what you should do.
Of course, there are things that can help the hair, of course (i.e. you can condition, oil, etc; as much as you need, but use the wrong brush, leave it down in high winds, bleach it, etc; and still have ample damage), but generally my hair in particular loves benign neglect.
I love sitting back and letting my natural oils do their thing while my hair is up and out of harms way, and I always just wash, condition, etc, when it is needed. Less seems to always be more for me.

Understood. I love that you said that. It really is more of a matter of what one shouldn't do, isn't it? That's why I figured it was senseless to keep applying products to prevent breakage, when the best remedy was to just put it away. I'm thinking that anti-breakage products are for those who chronically style their hair. But that's sooo not me.

I'll keep what you've said in mind. (It...like, echoes...)

starlights
January 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
i dont know if neglect really works... in the past i neglected my hair and was prone to splits and dry ends even if i wore it up and out of the way!!

now i could never imagine neglecting it!

ive noticed a little care has gone a long way with my hair!

you have to go with what suits your hair :)

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I feel like trying this out ... Being gentle with it, but sort of trying to stop fussing and just let it be and ignoring it a little (& keeping it out of the way)... will do.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks what's come out of this... (if I actually stop thinking about it :lol:)

I'll do the same. It's been nearly a week since I tried it out and my hair seems perfectly fine since like the first day. I used a little bit of water to smooth fuzzies. Definitely let us know how it's worked for you though!

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
i dont know if neglect really works... in the past i neglected my hair and was prone to splits and dry ends even if i wore it up and out of the way!!

now i could never imagine neglecting it!

ive noticed a little care has gone a long way with my hair!

you have to go with what suits your hair :)

Maybe hair needs to be in a healthy condition to start doing the benign neglect thing? I guess it's better to care for the hair first, then let it do it's thing later.

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Understood. I love that you said that. It really is more of a matter of what one shouldn't do, isn't it? That's why I figured it was senseless to keep applying products to prevent breakage, when the best remedy was to just put it away. I'm thinking that anti-breakage products are for those who chronically style their hair. But that's sooo not me.

I'll keep what you've said in mind. (It...like, echoes...)

I agree.

And I find that the more I deep condition / oil / etc. and the more I have to wash it out too the next morning (even if it's co wash)...

Not saying it's always bad... but I think I (personally) might be overdoing it right now (because I want great hair so much) and that actually might not be such a good idea...

I actually realized (today, thanks LHC lol) that I improved my hair texture a lot these last years when I stopped changing it's color all the time and trimming every couple months. Granted, I continued doing lots of bad things (and never "took care" of it except for those little trims and I just "tried to style it")... but I would probably have much better hair today if I'd stopped damaging it altogether, without doing anything special either ...

Food for thought anyways...

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe hair needs to be in a healthy condition to start doing the benign neglect thing? I guess it's better to care for the hair first, then let it do it's thing later.

I think it's actually a fine balance between caring for it and "letting it be". I wouldn't call it "neglect"... only a sort of trust that it doesn't need us (hmm, you can change that for "me") aaallll the time...

if it feels really dry, needing to be washed, etc. then I think action is good of course ! But too much attention is maybe not the best idea either ... (that's just a feeling). Now, defining "too much" is a personal thing, of course.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I agree.

And I find that the more I deep condition / oil / etc. and the more I have to wash it out too the next morning (even if it's co wash)...

Not saying it's always bad... but I think I (personally) might be overdoing it right now (because I want great hair so much) and that actually might not be such a good idea...

I actually realized (today, thanks LHC lol) that I improved my hair texture a lot these last years when I stopped changing it's color all the time and trimming every couple months. Granted, I continued doing lots of bad things (and never "took care" of it except for those little trims and I just "tried to style it")... but I would probably have much better hair today if I'd stopped damaging it altogether, without doing anything special either ...

Food for thought anyways...

First, congrats on improving your hair texture! I know that's usually the first step in gaining really long and healthy hair. My texture has finally started to improve as well. Now I'm looking for more length this year.

And I agree with what you've said too! It's like touching a hot stove. You know it's hot, but you keep touching it anyway. That's how I am (was) with doing things like brushing and styling. I know it's going to eventually cause issues, but I did it anyway, and I had to pay with all these dumb protein treatments and intensive conditioners (not that they're dumb...but I get tired of treating my hair for things I did to it).

I figure, one can't deep condition and treat their hair forever. Once it gets to a length that it can be put away, can't you just leave it be?

So what you've said, especially the bolded, makes sense.

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
thats basically what i do.. i dont even bother measuring really anymore..
although i do trim my own hair every now and then

Bellalalala
January 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I do very very little to my hair and it looks better than it ever has (I really need to update my photo).

I "wash" is about once a week with baking soda and "condition" with lemon juice. I never add product for styling. I use velcro rollers when I want to style it, and I will use heat tools for special occasions.

The only major effort I put in is constantly snipping off damaged ends. I am never far from a pair of scissors. I don't get regular trims, so getting rid of those damaged ends is critical.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think it's actually a fine balance between caring for it and "letting it be". I wouldn't call it "neglect"... only a sort of trust that it doesn't need us (hmm, you can change that for "me") aaallll the time...

if it feels really dry, needing to be washed, etc. then I think action is good of course ! But too much attention is maybe not the best idea either ... (that's just a feeling). Now, defining "too much" is a personal thing, of course.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned in the original post, not doing 'absolutely nothing', but of course some care should be done when necessary. I agree with the balance though. I'm planning on taking that to heart and just treating it when it asks for it, and of course, that can be different for everybody.

So, question; do you think a lot of people sometimes do "too much" to their hair, thus not receiving favorable results? I know "too much" is a personal thing, but do you think some people may not know they're doing too much, perhaps? I know some people who do everything under the sun and don't get results and just kick their long hair goals to the curb...(sad...so sad...)

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I do very very little to my hair and it looks better than it ever has (I really need to update my photo).

I "wash" is about once a week with baking soda and "condition" with lemon juice. I never add product for styling. I use velcro rollers when I want to style it, and I will use heat tools for special occasions.

The only major effort I put in is constantly snipping off damaged ends. I am never far from a pair of scissors. I don't get regular trims, so getting rid of those damaged ends is critical.

I'd love an updated picture of what "simple care routine" of hair can lead to !!! :oops:

yellowchariot
January 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I don't do anything special to my hair. I just wash it with cone-free shampoo and conditioner when it needs it, and that's it. However I do exercise and eat a lot of protein which are also contributing factors. Most of my layers are blending in with my overall length past my neck.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Your photo looks great! When you said it looks better than it ever has, I referred to the photo. But I'll take your word for it though :D.

And I do the lemon juice "condition" too! Neat! My routine seems much like yours, except I'm trying to cut out heat for a long time and I don't use velcros, but magnetic rollers. But I do snip off those damaged ends though. That's a must!

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, that's why I mentioned in the original post, not doing 'absolutely nothing', but of course some care should be done when necessary. I agree with the balance though. I'm planning on taking that to heart and just treating it when it asks for it, and of course, that can be different for everybody.

So, question; do you think a lot of people sometimes do "too much" to their hair, thus not receiving favorable results? I know "too much" is a personal thing, but do you think some people may not know they're doing too much, perhaps? I know some people who do everything under the sun and don't get results and just kick their long hair goals to the curb...(sad...so sad...)

Well I KNOW someone can do to much in a "commercial" way... been there. You know, the "best" iron, the best color, the best shampoo, this and that... but altogether damaging and unnatural hair torture kind of things ! There, excess is really easy.

Can natural products, a good respectful hair routine, good oils, good stuff, gentle touch... ever be too much ? I'd say yes... but I can't support that with experience.

It seems plausible that the more you touch it, the more you risk breaking it... and the more you test things and products in it... the most you risk having a bad surprise with something your hair didn't like.

You know how water is vital... but drinking too much can actually be deadly. Fruits are excellent for our health, but you eat too much your teeth enamel can be attacked with the acid in them and very much fragilized ... and so on.

Something to be kept in ming anyways so not to overdo good things ... I do believe in moderation, and with everything in life...

teela1978
January 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
When people ask me what I do to my hair, my usual response is "nothing". I really do nothing special, the benign neglect method. As it has been said above, its more about what I don't do to my hair than what I do to my hair.

I wash it. I condition it. I comb it... that's about it. I don't use special products, I don't blowdry or heat style/flat-iron it.

I occasionally use coconut oil... but not very often.

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
the people I know with the most beautiful hair actually all say they never do anything spacial to it, that it's "naturally this way". It does look really natural, nothing special... but georgous amazing quality of hair.

I always thought that was the pure genius of straiter hair (and the hell of curly hair to be "so complicated"). But the more I think about it and the more I think it has a lot to do with the actual BAD things I did to mine (with the excuse "ah it's curly, it's ugly anyways" I have to do this and that to get it this way (ie : strait)).

As time goes by and I see MY hair can actually improve a lot, I guess they probably just didn't do all the bad stuff I carelessly did to mine...

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
When people ask me what I do to my hair, my usual response is "nothing". I really do nothing special, the benign neglect method. As it has been said above, its more about what I don't do to my hair than what I do to my hair.

I wash it. I condition it. I comb it... that's about it. I don't use special products, I don't blowdry or heat style/flat-iron it.

I occasionally use coconut oil... but not very often.

Funny, I was thread-surfing and saw your avi, and I was thinking, "What gorgeous hair she has...I wonder what she does to it?"

Now I know. *Giggles* Your routine is very simple!

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
the people I know with the most beautiful hair actually all say they never do anything spacial to it, that it's "naturally this way". It does look really natural, nothing special... but georgous amazing quality of hair.

I always thought that was the pure genius of straiter hair (and the hell of curly hair to be "so complicated"). But the more I think about it and the more I think it has a lot to do with the actual BAD things I did to mine (with the excuse "ah it's curly, it's ugly anyways" I have to do this and that to get it this way (ie : strait)).

As time goes by and I see MY hair can actually improve a lot, I guess they probably just didn't do all the bad stuff I carelessly did to mine...

To the bold, I've felt like that too. I got into a straightening rut for a while and thought it was cute. I soon learned when my hair started breaking off...

But I agree with what you're saying. The people I've seen with the longest and/or prettiest head of hair always say they do "nothing" to it. Mmmm...

sarahbrownie
January 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I think this might be the best possible way. You won't get obsessed and interrogate the roots of your hair asking why it hasn't grown a inch that day. :D

trolleypup
January 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'd love an updated picture of what "simple care routine" of hair can lead to !!! :oops:
Well, it isn't an updated photo, but my siggy is what about a decade of benign neglect results in.

(mostly WO, occasional very mild shampoo, preen/combing, s&d)

heynormy
January 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Me! For 2010 I've decided I'm going to ignore my hair! So far I've started washing my hair only once a week, oiling daily and just wearing a bun everyday. It seems to be working so far, so I think I will keep this up! :D

PeaceWithTrees
January 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
For me, I try my best to do as little to my hair as possible. However, in its natural state, I find that my hair easily tangles and does not get enough sebum to the ends. So What I have found to be the best thing for me, after 4 years of experimentation, is to straighten it with a flatiron so that it improves managablility and condition of my hair. When it is straight, I do not have to brush it often, and my natural sebum easily sweeps down to the ends. My only styling product is Jojoba oil, and I shampoo and condition 1-2 times a month, and often longer than that.

I have to admit that I have not profected my routine yet. My main problem is that I like to wear it down all the time. Wearing my hair down requires retouching it with my flatiron every few days.

jasper
January 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I did go a long while doing almost nothing and bunning my hair every day. I barely even looked at my hair for about a year, and I was surprised with the length after all that time. But my version of doing nothing included shampooing 2-3 times a week and brushing it. I think my hair is nicer when I use CWC instead of just shampooing, and giving it an occasional deep conditioning treatment or oil.

Vermelha
January 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
For me, I try my best to do as little to my hair as possible. However, in its natural state, I find that my hair easily tangles and does not get enough sebum to the ends. So What I have found to be the best thing for me, after 4 years of experimentation, is to straighten it with a flatiron so that it improves managablility and condition of my hair. When it is straight, I do not have to brush it often, and my natural sebum easily sweeps down to the ends. My only styling product is Jojoba oil, and I shampoo and condition 1-2 times a month, and often longer than that.

I have to admit that I have not profected my routine yet. My main problem is that I like to wear it down all the time. Wearing my hair down requires retouching it with my flatiron every few days.

Yeah...I tried this out too, but once the hair sweats or comes in contact with humidity or moisture, it all goes back to the drawing board.

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Just found this member... that's inspiration ! The hair ! The huge healthy, shiny, up do's ! The no-fuss and so natural care routine ! The pictures ! I'm stunned (in a very positive way)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=6704

I find this so inspiring, as well as others who said they don't do much and keep it simple ! I really like this... a lot !

RocketDog
January 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I don't really practice benign neglect, but I have gotten past most of the LHC newbiness (which for me meant trying some new soak or cleaning/brushing/combing/whatever method as soon as I read about it) and I've settled into a routine that works for me. CWC with occasional deep oilings before the wash, vinegar/tea rinse at the end of the shower, wear it up and trim it when the ends go crispy. It may not be 'neglect' but I don't obsess over my hair like I did when I first joined and saw all the amazing haircare routines and magic elixirs and all that.

PeaceWithTrees
January 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah...I tried this out too, but once the hair sweats or comes in contact with humidity or moisture, it all goes back to the drawing board.

Actually, just 6 months ago, I found an excellent flat iron. I can go out in foggy mornings, sprinkleing rain, a humid day, or sweat for a good bit before my hair gets frizzy. My Mom saw my hair after I was useing it for a while, she bought one for herself too. It is the Jilbere Nano Silver Ultra-Thin Flat Iron. It has saved me lots of depressing hair days! Before I had this, I thought that the only way that my hair could be super shiny and straight was going to the salon. But since this one works so well for me, I wont be going to the salon for as often. I bought mine at Sally Beauty Supply. Here is the link...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/flat-iron/SBS-345134,default,pd.html

It is the best flat iron I have ever had. Cosmetically, after about 4 months of useing it, the white part began to discolor a bit, but it is still working exceptionally well after 6 months.

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I don't really practice benign neglect, but I have gotten past most of the LHC newbiness (which for me meant trying some new soak or cleaning/brushing/combing/whatever method as soon as I read about it) and I've settled into a routine that works for me. CWC with occasional deep oilings before the wash, vinegar/tea rinse at the end of the shower, wear it up and trim it when the ends go crispy. It may not be 'neglect' but I don't obsess over my hair like I did when I first joined and saw all the amazing haircare routines and magic elixirs and all that.

I was very much like that too as a newbie. I'm no longer into the "hottest product" as if I need one. I have four kinds of shampoo, five serums, five blowdryers and six flat irons...All that to realize that all my hair really needs is to be left "alone."

But I see what you mean though. It's not "neglect" per se, but it's pretty close. (And I do need to stop obsessing over my hair :p)

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Actually, just 6 months ago, I found an excellent flat iron. I can go out in foggy mornings, sprinkleing rain, a humid day, or sweat for a good bit before my hair gets frizzy. My Mom saw my hair after I was useing it for a while, she bought one for herself too. It is the Jilbere Nano Silver Ultra-Thin Flat Iron. It has saved me lots of depressing hair days! Before I had this, I thought that the only way that my hair could be super shiny and straight was going to the salon. But since this one works so well for me, I wont be going to the salon for as often. I bought mine at Sally Beauty Supply. Here is the link...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/flat-iron/SBS-345134,default,pd.html

It is the best flat iron I have ever had. Cosmetically, after about 4 months of useing it, the white part began to discolor a bit, but it is still working exceptionally well after 6 months.

I hear the Jilbere is NICE. Ladies on other forums are raving about it.

But having five flat irons, including a Maxiglide XP, I really should tone it down with the heat. I'd just be setting myself back trying to have smooth, straight hair, than working with what I've got...(*slaps own hand for even trying to straighten*)

It's like, I know I'll have to pay for the heat damage later so I'm trying to avoid mechanical damage altogether (hence this thread). I tried straightening my hair and wearing it up all the time, and I had little reversion too, but after months of doing that, I started experiencing brittle ends (and I use medium temp., never high).

LOL...you live in California...you are very lucky. Not very humid there...;) I told myself that I will need to move over there and experience a good hair day or two...

Wicked Princess
January 10th, 2010, 03:44 AM
It depends on how we define "nothing"!

I shampoo/condition my hair every 4-5 days. Usually, I put oil in it before a wash. Sometimes, I spritz with leave-in conditioner (which is just my regular conditioner mixed with water, hah) on afterwards. But other than that, I don't touch it at all!

AlleyKitten
January 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
DBF is a benign neglect guy. I talked him into switching to gentler shampoos and using more conditioner, and out of ripping a brush through his wet hair (really, I did it more for the sake of my nerves than his hair, it made me cringe to listen to!), but other than that he just leaves it in a ponytail all the time, totally ignoring it, and it does fine and grows really fast. Some people really have the genes for it.

starlights
January 10th, 2010, 04:48 AM

the thing is my hair was always healthy at the start point and i did try the benign neglect thing: wash, hair up, condition, no straightening or hair colour.. and i was still prone to splits an dryness as it grew longer so i had to keep cutting !

i guess my hairs extra sensitive, especially of the UK cold weather and hard water, bless... :D

since learning the extra care tips i find now my hairs are alot better than if i had left it alone with little care.

I think everyones hairs different, if it works for you, stick with it:)

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 04:53 AM
the thing is my hair was always healthy at the start point and i did try the benign neglect thing: wash, hair up, condition, no straightening or hair colour.. and i was still prone to splits an dryness as it grew longer so i had to keep cutting !

i guess my hairs extra sensitive, especially of the UK cold weather and hard water, bless... :D

since learning the extra care tips i find now my hairs are alot better than if i had left it alone with little care.

I think everyones hairs different, if it works for you, stick with it:)

That cold weather tends to eat up hair, so I completely understand...And I have hard water, so I'm almost forced to wash less, since the water will wreck my hair.

But I totally understand where you're coming from. At one point, I thought I could leave it alone, but it took a year of protein treatments and trims to get it to a healthy state. Now, I'm kind of afraid to do anything to my hair for the fear of setting myself back.

But yeah, everyone has different hair. Some can blowdry and flat iron every day with significant gains in length...others just can't do that...Hair is weird and more complex than we think, I guess.

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 04:57 AM
It depends on how we define "nothing"!

I shampoo/condition my hair every 4-5 days. Usually, I put oil in it before a wash. Sometimes, I spritz with leave-in conditioner (which is just my regular conditioner mixed with water, hah) on afterwards. But other than that, I don't touch it at all!

Heh! Simple enough! Shoot, I don't even use conditioner all the time. I just mist with diluted ACV or lemon juice, rinse and go...

HildeMV
January 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I think this fits me. I haven't even tried an SMT because I can't find Aloe Vera gel. I don't try to raid the kitchen to find stuff to put in my hair. I just use conditioner in the shower, and usually put in a bun or a braid and forget about it.

I'm thinking more about not damaging my hair, rather than doing stuff to it to make it better.

windinherhair
January 10th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I really don't do much with my hair and I'm getting results. I was cutting my hair too often before, and getting too much cut off, and that is why it wasn't growing. I choose organic shampoo/conditioner and I use camilla oil, but other then that... no special treatment. I have even been bad about S&D for a while too.

Vermelha
January 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I really don't do much with my hair and I'm getting results. I was cutting my hair too often before, and getting too much cut off, and that is why it wasn't growing. I choose organic shampoo/conditioner and I use camilla oil, but other then that... no special treatment. I have even been bad about S&D for a while too.

Your regime sounds simple enough. And I'm bad about S&D myself. I've just put the scissors away altogether.

And if you don't mind me asking, what does camilla oil do for you? I love oils and that's about the only thing I use on my hair.

wookermuffin
January 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Personally I don't do all that much to my hair a lot of the time I don't even use conditioner because I'm to lazy instead I'll just wash my scalp and upper part of my hair while in the shower. my shampoo has cones in it so I can still comb it (my conditioner doesn't)

treesandcoffee
January 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM
When I did "nothing" my hair grew from a bob to past the shoulders without my notice.

Now that I am doing all sorts of things, my hair seems to grow slowly-- but the only thing that has changed is my attention.

Not a bad idea....

Laurel32
January 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I've given up hope that I can salvage my damaged hair, so I'm just cutting it off and waiting for my virgin hair to grow out. I just wash it twice a week with diluted SLS and condition and just throw it in a pony tail.