PDA

View Full Version : What vitamins do you take for your hair?(If any)

Jordan S.
January 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I just started on a liquid hair vitamin and some biotin(since christmas). I've gone through a whole bottle(2 oz) of Eidon silica drops, which I don't plan on buying again as I saw no results. I'm pretty desperate :( , so I'm a tad low on patience . lol

1. How many different supplements do you take?
2. What kinds of supplements are you taking, and what brand?
3. How long have you been taking them?
4. How long was it before you noticed results(if any)

anneisanne
January 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I don't take any, myself- I just make sure to eat healthy, and my hair seems happy! I do notice a difference if my eating habits are bad for a few weeks.

Coriander
January 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I take a regular multivitamin plus a ton of supplements. Most of these are for things other than my hair, but they seem to help. It would take me about 10 pages to list everything.

If you go up to the "Search" tab and run a search on "Vitamins" or "Supplements", there are several threads in which people have listed what works for them and what doesn't. :)

Welcome to LHC!

Cholera
January 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM
1. How many different supplements do you take? I take two, very rarely 3 different supplements.

2. What kinds of supplements are you taking, and what brand? I have Nature Made pre-natal vitamins with DHA, and Nature Made Biotin (I take 2, sometimes 3, 2500 mcg pills a day) and very rarely I'll take some odorless garlic.

3. How long have you been taking them? I've been on the pre-natals for probably 8 months and biotin for 2. I've noticed a dramatic difference in growth since upping my dosage of biotin.

4. How long was it before you noticed results(if any) Honestly, I don't really see results from my pre-natals, but I know they're good for me, so I take them anyway. The biotin didn't take long for me. It was only about a month and a half in 'til I started noticing faster growth.
aI take pre-natal vitamins with fish oil, and biotin (2 2500 mcg pills a day, sometimes 3).

One thing about hair growing in general, is that being impatient won't help it. Nothing is going to speed up your growth past maybe 1" or possibly 1 1/2" a month, and that's still slow for some people who want immediate results. You just have to take care of yourself and your hair for now, and reap the benefits later. Good luck!

redneckprincess
January 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I just started on a liquid hair vitamin and some biotin(since christmas). I've gone through a whole bottle(2 oz) of Eidon silica drops, which I don't plan on buying again as I saw no results. I'm pretty desperate :( , so I'm a tad low on patience . lol

1. How many different supplements do you take?
2. What kinds of supplements are you taking, and what brand?
3. How long have you been taking them?
4. How long was it before you noticed results(if any)

where exactly do you find silica?

I would give anysupplement at least 3-6 month before saying it works or it dosent

I have found biotin to work WONDERS on my hair growth rate...I also a few weeks ago added MSM which is pretty popular around here...i take a few other things as well

enfys
January 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Jordan S., what are you looking to get from supplements?

I got up to an inch a month growth and a lot poorer buying supplements. Now I'm just taking a multi for hair, skin and nails and leaving it at that.

Half an inch a month is average, and I'm happy being average.

turtlelover
January 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I take a ton of supplements, but none of them specifically for my hair. I think a high quality multi and omega 3 supplements are a good starting place for most people, just for general health. It can't hurt the hair, that is for sure!

newbiewink
January 9th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I take a Hair Skin & Nails supplement. I just started MSM today because some say it is good for growth and I read it helps with allergies too so its worth a try. I take a multi-vitamin and omega 3's whenever I remember and I'm supposed to be taking calcium (on the depo shot) so I try to remember that too.

I had results within a week for the hair vitamins (1/2 inch in a week!) but I've only been on it a little over a week so we'll see. It did make my face break out too.

aaperez
January 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I Take a woman's multi-vitamin; a prenatal; a hair, skin, and nail which says to take three but becuse the daily has the same type of A that should not be overdosed I only take one; and a

missjessiecakes
January 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
1. How many different supplements do you take? I take 2

2. What kinds of supplements are you taking, and what brand?Biotin, msm and glucosomine.
The biotin is the cheap green one from wally world and the msm is from puritans pride

3. How long have you been taking them? Not long less than a month.

4. How long was it before you noticed results(if any) I got less shed with the biotin. Now I dare you to find one of my shed hairs anywhere. Otherwise nothing to tell until later

Yes I'd wait 3 months before you say something doesnt work it takes awhile to notice them working.

The MSM glucosomine is good for joints pain and allergys which is "mainly" why I am taking it ;) But apparently Its good for hair too :D

*Rose Red*
January 10th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I don´t take any.

Jordan S.
January 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah I was thinking the silica might help with my breakage. That is my #1 concern right now.

Honey39
January 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I take kelp

Teacherbear
January 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't take any supplements for my hair and never have. I'm doing good to take a daily vitamin and my magnesium supplement at night.

eta: If breakage is your major concern, then any supplements won't immediately help. They will only help the hairs that are currently growing. When it comes to breakage there may be a couple of things going on. If you have had chemical processing (perms or color) then that could be causing it. Otherwise, it is something that you are doing and/or not noticing in your daily life that is causing the damage. There are a variety of ways you can become aware of and protect your hair from breaking (as much as it has been). You might check some of the articles to see if they can help. This is an article that I wrote. It is entitled Keeping Split Ends at Bay: Secrets of Gently Handling Your Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8), but it offers a lot of advice that might help.

Hope that helps

Stormy1
January 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Women's energy multivitamin (GNC)
Fish oil (GNC)
Vitamin E

I notice a positive difference in my energy level. The oils provide very noticable aid for my joints. I switch up the multi vitamin type each time I run out but its always GNC brand.

BranwenWolf
January 10th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Multivitamin, which includes 100% of the DVs of several B vitamins, a zinc pill and Omega 3 fatty acid supplement. The ones other than the zinc pill are gummy vitamins that are much easier to take.
These are for my general health, really, but they seem to be helping my hair. I was hoping they'd do something about my acne but that doesn't seem to be working.

JenniferNoel
January 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Vitamins B, C, D, lots of antioxidants, ginseng, and lots of broccoli and salmon. :p