PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Swallow Pills...So what else could I do to make my hair Healthy Inside??

SunshineHair
January 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I am just one of those people who can hardly swallow a pill. Advil, they are not big and I have a hard time with them. You would not believe the gagging I go through trying to get them down! So forget vitamin pills and ect...

I know of a few foods that are good, but are their any liquid forms of stuff I could take for my hair? I wont ask the vitamin store people because I do not trust them. So you guys let me know if you have found a liquid that works!

Oh and hopefully it is something that can be added to a drink, so that I dont have to taste the foul flavor :)

Speckla
January 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I used to take liquid Centrum and it had the daily recommended biotin and a lot of other things. It didn't taste too bad. Just follow it with a chug of a good tasting drink.

LawyerGirl
January 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I had some powder that was for hair that you could mix like a protein shake. It didnt taste very good though.

Moonstruck
January 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM
You can just eat lots and lots of delicious fruits and veggies, and call it a day. ;)

I mean, that's what I do. I think vitamins and such do have their place, especially when everyone around you is getting sick, haha. But certainly, you might as well try to max out how nutritious your diet is, right? Choose bright and colorful veggies and fruit, eat them mostly raw or lightly cooked, and your hair really will improve with that little effort.

motormuffin
January 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM
My favorite vitamins are Nature's Way Alive and I know they have a powdered version. You can also get your supps in capsule form and just open them up and mix them with orange juice. The orange juice is usually tangy enough to cover up some of the weird tastes. Or you could mix them up in something and chase it with another tasty beverage. I mix my some of my supps in with my protein shakes. You can get MSM in a power that comes in a tub. Some of my vits I have a mortar and pestle and I will smoosh them up for my cats. I have no problem swallowing a handful of like 10 pills at a time though.

Jordan S.
January 8th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm currently using Buried Treasure liquid hair skin and nail vitamins. Not sure if it works yet as i've only been taking it since Christmas.

time_on_fire
January 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM
What about chewable vitamins?

Coriander
January 8th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I take a liquid silica. It doesn't taste like anything at all.

Elainehali
January 8th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Work out a little more. :D increased blood circulation and some of that blood goes to your scalp.

SunshineHair
January 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
These are great, helpful replies!!! On and I do chew centrum, but I wanted something geared for my hair!

I fell off the exercising wagon, time to hop back on :)

Amoretti
January 9th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Eat properly (vitamins, etc) and you won't need to take anything else. I haven't taken any supplements ever and I grew my hair down to my thighs. :flower:

Heidi_234
January 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM
SunshineHair, you don't have to take vitamins that are said to be specifically for hair. Vitamins are vitamins, some have more direct influence on your hair than others, but overall, you can cover your 'hair needs' with a regular multivitamin (I find that hair vitamins have very specific and limited list of vitamins/minerals they contain, which is no use to me, because I never eat balanced). That really broadens the variety of supplements that are of your interest, so surely you can find multi in a liquid or chewable or whatever form that does not requires you to swallow it.

If you can eat healthy and balanced and make sure to get all your vitamins from you food, it's far better. I know eggs are super great, they contain almost all vitamins and the RDA of biotin. Even though I take a multi anyway, I try to eat at least one egg a day.

Nightshade
January 9th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Some teas are also very good for hair, nettle is one that comes to mind right away :)

Finoriel
January 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Itīs not that one would absolutely need to take pills for healthy hair.
I for sure donīt :wink:
A healthy and balanced nutrition usually is enough to provide our body with everything it needs to grow hair. There have been studies about supplement taking for hair and that it only speeds up growth if the person was lacking something from their diet or had a medically caused deficiency, which wasnīt the case for the majority. Made sense to me :agree:
So if you donīt have medical conditions which make your body need extras or have a diet lacking in essential things, you usually donīt need to worry about taking supplements.

Industries are strange, they produce ready made food which often does not really contain healthy things and then they advertise and sell vitamins/nutrients to cure eventually upcoming deficiencies :wacko: Evil to her who evil thinks, huh? :wink:

SunshineHair
January 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM
You guys are pretty smart! I am going to do some rsearch, I mean really really looking into the foods I should be eating!

That wont be easy because I eat sugary/fatty foods and I have been thinking about changing that for a few months now. It will be a BIG adjustment!

Now my hair does grow 1/2 and inch a month, but I want it to be stronger. So I must change the way I eat, and start to exercise!

Heidi_234..... That one egg a day, is it the white part that is good or the yolk or both??

Heidi_234
January 9th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Heidi_234..... That one egg a day, is it the white part that is good or the yolk or both??
I think both. You can google the nutritional value of both part and see for yourself. Just make sure to cook/boil the egg white very well, or else it with hinder the biotin absorption.

SunshineHair
January 9th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Thank you :)

I will see what the best would be for the egg!!

Moonstruck
January 9th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I'm pretty sure it's both. Think of it this way - your hair is made up of mostly keratin, with some other stuff. What's keratin? Why, it's just protein! So getting enough protein is the quick track to having a nice healthy hair formation. Egg white is a nice little protein blast there.

Where do vitamins and minerals and stuff come in? Vitamins are a loosely based group in a lot of ways - it's basically stuff that our body needs and expects to get from our diet, so we don't produce it. Some animals have more deficiencies in stuff than others - for instance, humans are actually the outcast in much of the mammalian world for NOT being able to make Vitamin C. So we have to eat it (mm, tasty oranges) instead. All of these things help our cells and such do their work, at the right speed, at the right times, at the right places.
Egg yolk, meant to sustain the development of a little chicky, has TONS of vitamins and such.

So yes, eggs are my little cheat to good health sometimes, haha. I don't eat much animal product otherwise. But I must confess that I love eating vegetables a little (okay, a lot) more than anyone else I know, and I'm sure that's done me good too.

Small diet changes at a time will really help you out, I think. Otherwise, revamping your lifestyle is just too crazy. I know I workout like crazy for about 2 weeks, and then don't go into a gym for another few months, haha.

Kris Dove
January 9th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Berocca (vitamin tablets that you add to water to make a fizzy drink) contain biotin.

Speckla
January 9th, 2010, 09:22 AM
These are great, helpful replies!!! On and I do chew centrum, but I wanted something geared for my hair!

I fell off the exercising wagon, time to hop back on :)

The centrum is great. I started taking that to increase my biotin intake. :)

Pear Martini
January 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I am the same way! I order my sublingual biotin supplements from vitaminlife.com

They taste like berries/peaches :D

marikamt
January 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Have you checked out Igors thread on hair growth and supplements? I would think you could find most of those in a liquid or powdered form, especially at a vitamin store (as opposed to walmart or something).

here is a link to the article
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74

spidermom
January 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It doesn't take pills to have healthy hair. I can swallow the biggest pills without any trouble at all, and I have some supplements I could be taking, but I forget most of the time. I do pay attention to diet, though, making sure I get a variety of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean (and sometimes not-so-lean) proteins, etc. Also exercise and at least a quart of water a day, sometimes even 2 quarts.

florenonite
January 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Protein! Seriously, protein's great for your hair, because hair's made primarily of protein. Other than that just eat a varied, balanced diet and keep healthy.

I also eat a chewable multivitamin. I haven't had a cold since I started taking it, bu I haven't seen much difference in my hair :shrug:

Toadstool
January 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I was going to say protein!!

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
CHICKEN.. yum
chunk light tuna.. the 'light' tuna has less likelyhood for mercury because the fish are smaller and have accumulated less in their system over their shorter lifespan.
make sure to get your protein.. fish is an excellent source as is steak and chicken

ah i see you have found chewable vitamins..

its strange to hear you cant swallow pills.. lol i could never chew them without gagging.. even when i was a kid with flintstones i would swallow them..

Leisje
January 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I am the same way as you. The tiniest morsel of a pill just cannot be swallowed. I tend to think its a psychological thing but either way... I just can't do it. It won't go down!

I have adult chewables. And biotin lozenges. There are a lot more options out there now for people who can't take pills. But if worse comes to worse you could always crush up the pills and put it in orange juice. That's what I did with GNC brand hair, skin & nails vitamins for a few months. I call them my pill cocktails. haha.

I think the advice everyone has given is really great. Balanced diet, lots of protein, a normal multivitamin. Just take good care of yourself and healthy hair will grow.

enfys
January 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I bought some flax seeds to mix in with foods and things today. Most supplements good for hair are derived from food. I think protein and biotin are the two to really look out for.

I'm going off the supplements except my hair, skin and nails one, and eating more healthily where I can instead. H,S & N is back up for when I don't!

It made a difference but not so much that I wanted to disturb my life over it. I don't want to have to explain to cusoms what's in my pill box at the airport.

Remember, if anything is lacking your hair isn't your body's priority. If everything else is running nicely your body can focus on growing healthy, happy hair.

SunshineHair
January 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM
It has been great reading all the comments!

And yes I think it is odd that I cant swallow pills. Yet I can swallow gum...but only sometings! The mere thought of swallowing pill makes me aware of my throat and I want to gag???

I am always worried about getting really sick and they give me pills to take for it, well thats a problem! I told a nirse once, just give me a shot! But she wouldnt :(

embee
January 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have a very hard time with pills - *if* I try to take them with liquid.

My solution is to take them with applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal -- really, any food that's ready to swallow. Down it goes along with everything else, no trouble at all. :)

I taught my 4 year old DS how to take pills because he hated his liquid meds and wouldn't take it if he could avoid it, so the solution was pills. He learned with applesauce. His doctor was astonished.

You could try this, it's a possible solution. Some things are only available as pills, so it's worth learning how to take them.

florenonite
January 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
On the topic of swallowing pills: I was horrible at it (once I took a whole pint of water to swallow an ibuprofen when I had cramps) until I needed antibiotics. For the first several days I had a horrible time swallowing the pills, but after that I was fine. I still try to stick to the small ones, though, so my vitamins are chewable.

Pierre
January 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Make soup stock. Take some bones, add water, and add about 3% of the weight of bones as unfiltered vinegar. Bring to a boil, then take off the heat and put to bed. Both keratin and collagen (gelatin is denatured collagen) contain large amounts of glycine.

Get a Vita-Mix. With that you can make whole fruit smoothies and mix pills in. I use mine every day.