PDA

View Full Version : *Help! The Only way my Hair looks Good, but I don't want To*

*girlypearl*
January 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Ok... so here is my dilemma... I got my BSL cut into a neck~length bob a few weeks ago (which I extremely regret), and I am having trouble figuring out what to do with it. I have med/thick/wavy hair, and these are the things I have tried so far... I have let it air~dry and just do it naturally, it looks ok for a little while and then it ends up just looking like a rat's nest. I have let it air~dry and pin~curled it, but again I end up looking like the top of a Q~Tip. I also pin up just the front pieces back with a baby claw clip, but I don't want to have the constant tension pull on my hair, so I can't wear it like that everyday. So, now that you have an idea, here is what I'm really asking... the only way my hair actually looks really good, and I like for the time being, is... dare I say... when I straighten it. I wanted to try and stay away from the iron, but this cut just won't allow for it. What am I to do? I thought that maybe if I only straightened it once a week it might not be so bad, until I can grow it to a point where natural air~dry doesn't look so bad.. I don't want to damage my hair!! Let me know what you all think.. I am at a loss. All suggestions and opinions greatly appreciated. TIA!
(P.S. Sorry So Long!!)
*Happy Growing*

LawyerGirl
January 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Is it long enough for a ponytail at the nape? Maybe you can put it back and forget about it until it gets a little longer?

teela1978
January 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
would some gel keep it under control a bit better for air drying?

anneisanne
January 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Could you put it in a half-pony?

spidermom
January 8th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've seen a lot of wavy/curly bobs around, and some of them look pretty messy, but in a fashionable way. I think if you used some sort of curl creme or gel and scrunched while drying with a diffuser or while air drying, it would look good.

Pulling front pieces back with a claw clip or pins doesn't have to be damaging; just don't pull too tight or use a french barrette.

manderly
January 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I say do what you gotta do when your hair is too short to do much with. Be happy with the hair you have now, and worry about the health of it when you get to a place where you can either style it more gently or put it up and forget about it.

I would not have let go of my hair dryer when I had a chin-length bob. No way was I going to walk around looking like a poodle.

tralalalara
January 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You could try to french braid it and tuck the end under with bobby pins

Or, blow-dry it straight (or use the iron as a last resort), but don't wet it again for a few days to reduce damage. Wear it down for about a day and a half, then put it up when you feel like it doesn't look good anymore.

I've recently become a fan of dutch braiding my fringe and front quarter of my hair into a sort of head band thing like this cute style (http://img.youtube.com/vi/UOLtOMeb79g/0.jpg)

I hope these work!

teela1978
January 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
You could try to french braid it and tuck the end under with bobby pins

I remember my hair not all fitting into a single french braid when I had a chin-length bob... but I was able to do 2 french braids down the sides of my head. It was pretty much the only way I could put all my hair up actually. I kinda forgot about that.

florenonite
January 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I think straightening twice a week, if you do it carefully (low heat and keep the iron moving), and otherwise take good care of your hair, should be ok. If it does cause damage then you can do microtrims once your hair's long enough to put up.

Coriander
January 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
When my hair was very short I would either have two side ponytails, or clip the sides back with barrettes. I also found cute headbands and clips.

Neen
January 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I've found that for my wurly hair to not look like a rats nest after air drying is to comb it with a wide toothed comb, then the wurls seem to reform nicely. I think I had to start doing this at about your length. I actually thought it looked quite cute at that length with the front pieces tucked behind the ears and the rest doing its wurly thing. Hope this helps.

Fractalsofhair
January 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
How much does using a flat iron damage your hair? Using a blowdrier makes my hair break off 1 inch from my scalp, but I think there's a member on here with KNEE length hair who uses a blowdrier(Lady Long Locks perhaps?).

If it's not terribly damaged, use a good heat protection(Not that it does much.) and be prepared for a few trims once it grows out again.

I'd personally suggest doing pincurls and then scrunching them with gel in the morning again and combing them out with your fingers for a soft wavey look.

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
have you tried letting it airdry after combing it backward several times during the drying process? thats what worked for me at your length

jojo
January 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I just comb mine gently while its drying for a more sleek look, my avatar shows the result when i do this and my hair especially at the front is very curly so heat isnt always required, personally i like a messy kind of look with bobbed hair its nice in a fashionable way!

*girlypearl*
January 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Thank you all so much for the great ideas and support! I have straightened my hair once since my last post, and feel that if I only do it once a week it should be ok for now until it gets a little longer. Other days I will air~dry and I have always enjoyed the messy~beach look as well.. I am definitely going to invest in some headbands though.... good suggestion. Again, thanks so much everyone!
*Happy Growing*

Ursula
January 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Have you tried doing your hair Curly Girl/Jessicurl style, applying gel when wet, finger combing slightly, and blow-drying with a diffuser? Rather than fighting your waves, work with them, so that they are held in locks and perhaps a bit curly.

And if you aren't washing every day, perhaps use a spray bottle to dampen your hair in the morning, finger combing to remove major tangles and letting the locks re-form.

If you aren't washing daily, it may also help to sleep on a satin pillowcase, which cuts down on tangle formation.