PDA

View Full Version : "your hair is too long"

SlightlySoprano
January 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
O.M.G. I was watching what not to wear, and whats his name...Nick? CHOPPED this woman's 3b/3c hair from approx waist up to APL. I almost cried!:(

Why is long hair so frowned upon in fashion?!!?

Sara Smile
January 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
He cuts everyone's hair. Actually, I saw one woman with gorgeous long blonde hair, tb or longer, who got up and walked out. But every other woman I've seen, on that show, gets her hair cut.

A couple of the women do seem to be hiding behind their hair, or it's ratty and they don't know what to do with it. So maybe they should cut their hair. And for a total makeover, I can see changing your hair somehow. But somehow they all end up with short dos that seem to require work in the morning. Crazy, isn't it?

SlightlySoprano
January 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I know exactly what you mean! BUT she really didn't need it! she didn't look ANY different except for her hair being so much shorter! it made me so sad. He should teach women with long hair how to treat it rather than just giving up and chopping it all off!

Sara Smile
January 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
He's a hairdresser, he doesn't know what to do with long hair besides cut it ;)

Speckla
January 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with long hair. Everyone just has different opinions and those shows are set up to make people the total opposite of what they were when they came in.

wishbone
January 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
With those shows, the whole point is a radical change in appearance, and i guess cutting long hair short is a simple way of doing that.

Sometimes i do think a person needs a change of pace to get them out of a style rut. But at the same time, theres so much you can customise with long hair without having to cut it short.

violeteyes
January 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Shorter hair is often seen as "edgy" and out of the norm

Coriander
January 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I don't even watch those shows because I always know someone is going to end up horrified.

SunshineHair
January 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Good for the women who walked out and didnt let him chop her hair off!!!!!

Copasetic
January 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Cutting hair short also makes for more drama, and it IS a television show.

misstwist
January 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm hoping someone will turn me in for that show so I can tell them I'll come play with them only if they set up my hairdo at the GM Salon in New York. :D

Athena's Owl
January 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
i don't watch these makeover shows because they put their emphasis completely on fashion, and do their best to erase anything that has to do with style.

If i want to look at people who look just like everyone else, I'll go to the mall.

MandyBeth
January 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I don't get his idea that you can't do anything with long hair, so let's cut if off. I assure you, having short hair - you can do NOTHING with it.

There have been 90% of the cases on that yes, their hair is badly damaged and needs help - but if it's so badly damaged, why is he putting color in? And put down the razor! And go fix the bleach blonde's hair, crap I can't think of her name. Then maybe I'll let him near my head. Maybe.

Yozhik
January 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
EEEK! I just remembered how much those shows use razors and commercial dye! They're killing those unwitting people's hair!

adiapalic
January 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
There's been a ton of threads about that guy--he's so incredibly predictable. :rolleyes:

With the rising popularity of hair extensions on caucasian celebrities, I'm a bit surprised adding extensions isn't common on those make-over shows.

Like everything on the show though, it's impermanent and usually too expensive for the person getting the makeover to actually buy for themselves regularly.

Peter
January 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's a makeover show... they just want to make the person look different. :shrug:

JenniferNoel
January 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Television ratings at work here. Plus, that guy is a serial hair killer.
Poor hair. :nono:

Kris Dove
January 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
There's been a ton of threads about that guy--he's so incredibly predictable. :rolleyes:

With the rising popularity of hair extensions on caucasian celebrities, I'm a bit surprised adding extensions isn't common on those make-over shows.

Like everything on the show though, it's impermanent and usually too expensive for the person getting the makeover to actually buy for themselves regularly.I've seen Ten Years Younger (Channel 4 in the UK) use extensions on a few people, with nice results.

hazelnut
January 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, shows like this one are my kryptonite.:o Although I have been upset by some past episodes because some of the people who actually had healthy long hair got it chopped off. But there are some cases where the person's hair is very badly damaged and it needs to go.

spidermom
January 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Too long compared to what? That's my question.

turtlelover
January 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I hate to say this, but I usually think that the AFTER results look better. But then again, my hair fluctuates between long and short. I don't JUST like long hair, though it is the look I'm going for at the moment. I don't think shorter hair = bad.

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I saw one woman with gorgeous long blonde hair, tb or longer, who got up and walked out.

Good for her! :cheese:

tralalalara
January 9th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Sometimes people just don't have the right body type or face shape that is flattered by a long blunt cut.

But they do go overboard by cutting it ALL off instead of just trimming and styling and possibly adding different sorts of fringe or layers to make it more fashionable.

Extensions are super popular now, especially since the entirety of Lady Gaga's, and Beyonce's hairstyles are accomplished through wigs, weave, and extensions.

Unfortunately, I only ever seem to catch extreme makeover and WNTW from a few years ago, so the made-over styles I see are "out" now, haha. Maybe next year I'll see some more of them giving extensions. :)

pinchbeck
January 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Nick Arrojo drives me nuts! I can hear his voice echoing in my head, "your hair isn't doing anything for you". There was one woman who did not let him cut more than two inches off of her waist length hair. It was a bit funny because I don't think he knew what to do. I am not a fan of the above shoulder hair cuts or his razor technique. However, a lot of the women look more polished afterward. Polished doesn't necessarily mean better.

I wish he could appreciate longer lengths, but he doesn't (maybe the show's ratings would go down if he did because the befores and afters wouldn't be much of a change and the whole point of the show is to achieve a new look). He is a hair butcher for the most part.

bumblebums
January 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Haven't seen the show, but I have had my hair cut at Arrojo Studio three times--not by Nick but by one of the other master stylists. The first haircut was great, the second was so-so, and the third one was so awful (especially considering how expensive it is) that it more or less set me on the longhair path. All in all, it's a happy ending...

florenonite
January 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Nick Arrojo drives me nuts! I can hear his voice echoing in my head, "your hair isn't doing anything for you". There was one woman who did not let him cut more than two inches off of her waist length hair. It was a bit funny because I don't think he knew what to do. I am not a fan of the above shoulder hair cuts or his razor technique. However, a lot of the women look more polished afterward. Polished doesn't necessarily mean better.

I wish he could appreciate longer lengths, but he doesn't (maybe the show's ratings would go down if he did because the befores and afters wouldn't be much of a change and the whole point of the show is to achieve a new look). He is a hair butcher for the most part.

How is hair meant to do something for someone? Should I get my hair to write my exams for me? :lol:

While I understand that makeover = drastic change, I still think there's room for the woman's individuality and for long hair. You could add layers, highlights and bangs and trim from waist to BSL and it could totally change the look, rather than having to cut it significantly shorter. What bothers me about the hairstyling part of WNTW is that he doesn't seem to ask for any input from the woman, which is something that I see happening in the clothing part and which I like.

xoxophelia
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think it is because "short" long hair is more versatile by modern standards. The look now is styled hair in the sense that it is blow dried or straightened. The bun look is not really in. I used to wear my hair up in a bun with a stick through it, not even knowing that other people did this, and some women told me I looked Amish. -_-

Also, on some people the longer hair can age them. Like.. It is so long it doesn't really lift at the roots and it drags their face down.

But, I think today even hair as long as to the waist or.. just above the butt is still accepted. They just love to cut the hair for a drastic makeover.

Cimorene
January 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Good for her! :cheese:
Ooh, I watched this episode one day. I got the impression that the viewers were supposed to think the lady was weird/stubborn/ungrateful, but I thought it was wonderful to see a woman refusing to be pressured into a decision she was totally against. And her hair was lovely.

Fiferstone
January 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I remember an episode from the first season (I think) in which the person had waist length wurly/curly dark hair (as in it would form sausage curls). When she started it was a frizzy/poufy mess, but the first thing she told Nick Arrojo was "you are NOT cutting my hair. No way." She stuck to her guns, and he did get her to put a humectant in it, and to stop brushing it, so at the end she had her waist length wurly/curly dark hair, only in soft ringlets and not a pouf of frizz. That did look better, and she got to keep her hard-won length.

enfys
January 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've seen Ten Years Younger (Channel 4 in the UK) use extensions on a few people, with nice results.

Yup, and Gok Wan has used them on his show. It can be done.

And, if they don't want their hair cut off they can walk away at any time. Even under a contract, surely they won't assault people and cut off their hair? These people want guts, not a haircut!

BranwenWolf
January 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I watched "What not to wear" for a bit but I got annoyed because:
1) The clothes they pick are ugly, as far as I'm concerned.
2) Not only that, they're expensive and I could find the same things at the thrift store. I would take that gift card and run with it to the tack store or the art store.
3) Yes, hate the hairstylist. Seems to give everyone the same bob.

Wavelength
January 9th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Shorter hair is often seen as "edgy" and out of the norm

How "edgy" can it be if everyone has it?

"Let's be radical and look like everyone else!"

Love that kinda logic... :rolleyes:

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Like, he's always saying OH heres a haircut that's easy to style you just need to blowfry it for 20 minutes, put a TON of junk in it, brush the wooohoooo out of it and go!

That doesn't sound very easy to me...

Stormcast
January 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Poasted by SlightlySoprano:
O.M.G. I was watching what not to wear, and whats his name...Nick? CHOPPED this woman's 3b/3c hair from approx waist up to APL. I almost cried!

Did she enjoy the cut?
I certainly wouldn't

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Did she enjoy the cut?
I certainly wouldn't

ACTUALLY it's funny you mention it. At first she looked like she was about to cry. Then a few minutes in she was like, okay I LOVE IT... i was like...??? I wonder if she was told to say she loved it just for the show?

Stormcast
January 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, they probably were like, "love it or you DON't get the money!!"

anneisanne
January 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I've definitely seen episodes where the person continued to say she hated the cut, although it seems like the people who are really attached to their hair argue. You can walk out without letting him cut, refuse dye, or negotiate the cut. I think that if I were on it, I would let him alter my hemline, but not do much else, and I don't think I'd be the first to do so.

Bonkers57
January 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I remember watching that one! And the ppl on the WNTW board went on and on about how eeeeeeeeeevil she was for not letting Nick cut her hair, that they should have taken the money back and so on! :rolleyes: Jeeze Louise! If someone is really apprehensive about getting their hair cut, they shouldn't be cajoled into it. This gal stood firm :cheese:

Good for the women who walked out and didnt let him chop her hair off!!!!!

Bonkers57
January 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I think the 'look' they go for in this show is 'corporate.' They assume all these women work in conservative office environments. Hence the suits and the bobs.

P.S. Does anybody remember those bows all women in suits used to wear?

I watched "What not to wear" for a bit but I got annoyed because:
1) The clothes they pick are ugly, as far as I'm concerned.
2) Not only that, they're expensive and I could find the same things at the thrift store. I would take that gift card and run with it to the tack store or the art store.
3) Yes, hate the hairstylist. Seems to give everyone the same bob.

VenusHalley
January 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I am not fond of the makeover shows... they usually have some woman who is a mom of little children and works from home some high-maintance makeover... they give everybody the simmilar hairstyle that is trendy at the moment, not considering if it actually fits their personality, and compliments their face...

What is the point of putting a women that is not the "girly" type into superhigh heels, pink fluffy dress and giving her a hairdo that needs trims and re-touching every three weeks? They willl ditch the new style in the minute cameras are off.

kmoc123
January 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
DID YOU SEE WHAT TYRA BANKS DID ON HER SHOW??? I am glad she is going away!!! I think that is just EVIL!!!

VenusHalley
January 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
You mean the one where people were "trading" something for some "fabulous prices"? That was so ridiculous!

2peasinapod
January 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Because if you have long hair, you won't be back at the salon spending money on trims, touch-ups, roots, products, etc :rolleyes:

SlightlySoprano
January 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
What did Tyra do? I must have missed it!

yellowchariot
January 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
O.M.G. I was watching what not to wear, and whats his name...Nick? CHOPPED this woman's 3b/3c hair from approx waist up to APL. I almost cried!:(

Why is long hair so frowned upon in fashion?!!?

IMO, It's just about the whole bandwagon idea. This deals with every show and "fashion drama"! If the majority of people had long hair and outnumbered those who had short hair. Then the "fashion police" would be adding hair extensions, instead of cutting hair. :laugh:

Shermie Girl
January 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sometimes people just don't have the right body type or face shape that is flattered by a long blunt cut.

Please define the "right" body type or face shape for long blunt hair.

teela1978
January 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Honestly, I would go on what not to wear in a heartbeat. I would probably let nick do whatever he wanted to my hair too... although I'd rather not get dyed too much as I'd just have to grow it out and be multi-colored till it was all gone again.

florenonite
January 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Honestly, I would go on what not to wear in a heartbeat. I would probably let nick do whatever he wanted to my hair too... although I'd rather not get dyed too much as I'd just have to grow it out and be multi-colored till it was all gone again.

You know he'd dye over your silvers :lol:

jivete
January 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I think the 'look' they go for in this show is 'corporate.' They assume all these women work in conservative office environments. Hence the suits and the bobs.

They actually look at your profession and try to fit clothes that work with the lifestyle. I've seen an episode with an artsy woman in an artsy field and they did a fabulous job with her, very chic and still artsy. They also took a woman who worked in a campus recycling job and the only stores they shopped at were vintage, recycled or earth friendly. They had a zoo keeper that was required to wear khaki shorts and they just picked out some that fit her better and then helped her choose clothes for the times she wasn't working.

Nick is a pain, and sometimes his hair-cuts looked like poo, but he can be negotiated with. I'm pretty sure contestents aren't required to have their hair cut, but it'll probably be pushed pretty hard.