PDA

View Full Version : Hair dilemma

TheCatSaidQuack
January 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I'm new here, but have been reading this forum for almost 2 weeks now (including several all nighters, because I couldn't just stop mid-thread!) and I love the wealth of information that you guys have here. To say that I've learned more in the past couple weeks compared to a lifetime would be an understatement of the year (which, while short thus far, I'm sure you get the jist!).
Last week, I cut off several inches of hair, because I wanted a fresh start - I'm currently growing my hair out to my waist, and while I've been COing for the past several months, nothing was helping my ends. So, bye bye to them. However, as happy as I am about growing my hair out, I am equally unhappy with my color. I know the general census here is that chem. dyes are bad (which I agree with, but I suppose you could call me an addict, cause I keep going back to them). I've been changing my hair color off and on for the past 5 years, but I can't seem to make up my mind as to what looks best on me. Since I'm growing it out, I want to treat it better, which means no more jumping back and forth between full-head dye jobs - so I was hoping you could help me pick a color that I can stick with for the next several years. I was thinking about doing henna (if the census is that red is best) since its better for the hair, or a heninigo. I currently use Ion Brilliance from Sallys.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/thecatsaidquack/Hair.jpg
The first color is my natural color - a dull ash medium brown - which I havent seen in many years (excuse the facial expression, I was 16 at the time, lol). I then went from light-medium-dark auburn, to chocolate brown, brown/black, redishbrown with a load of blonde highlights, and then this is the color i'm at now...a blah looking brown. Remember, this was over a period of almost 6 years, but my hair is in remarkably good shape considering - and I want to keep it that way. So, help me out with what would look best on me and be them most gentle on my hair for the long run.

Sorry for the length of this, everyone! I had no idea that I rambaled for so long!

Mutinous
January 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I like the red on you personally, it suits your skin really well. However, if your hair is naturally darker it may be worth getting something a bit closer to that - its easier to upkeep!

marikamt
January 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I second the red.......

ETA... I will say w/ your natural color (which is very similar to mine) if you henna you will not get that "bright red" that you had ... it will be a much deeper, darker red.... I henna so that should give you a very general idea of the color you may end up with

Shicurls
January 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Definitely, red!

turtlelover
January 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
If you want to add some red w/out much damage but don't want to use henna, try Robert Craig. When I was coloring my hair, that was all I would use....I had MUCH better results w/ that than anything else w/ no damage whatsoever. It deposits color w/out lifting it. Lifting the color is what makes it turn brassy when color starts to fade.

SunshineHair
January 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I agree, the red! And not because it is my favorite hair color but as it was stated by one above it suits your face and skin tone :)

Islandgrrl
January 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Red. But I'm not exactly unbiased.

rags
January 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I love you in both the reds and the very dark/black color. I also love your natural color!
ETA: Oh, and welcome to LHC! :flower:

sumptuousness
January 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I think the red in the fourth picture of the top row is the most flattering on you, and should be achieveable with henna :)

rogue_psyche
January 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Another vote for red! It suits you best in my opinion.

Speckla
January 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I love the red of the top right. Very pretty and looks good with your skin tone.

Dreamernz
January 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Red, definitely it complements your eyes and skin tone very nicely indeed :)

Natalia
January 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Another vote for red. It looks stunning on you!

Sylvanas
January 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I vote for the red colour you had in the top right picture (a darker red would look good as well), or your natural colour. It really doesn't look as bland as you seem to think :)

TheCatSaidQuack
January 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
hmmm...i think all of you ladies are very smart, since I love the red too. I just want to make sure it actually looks good before I go and do something permanent like henna. I don't want to do the lighter red anymore, because of how different it was then my natural and how many levels I had to lift - that amount of peroxide cannot be good for your hair. I like the darker red, which I think may be achievable with henna. Now I can go read up on henna with a purpose ;-)
Thank you so much for all of your help - I really appreciate it!

Merewen
January 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hmm, I don't tend to be too biased on hair color, but I am still gonna agree that the red looks fantastic on you.

GoddesJourney
January 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Red looks great and is extremely convenient with henna. Your natural color actually looks quite nice on you as well as the dark chocolate one. I liked the red on the far right, the one that looks less orange on the top row.

Unofficial_Rose
January 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I like the top left, your natural colour best. Suits your skintone and makes your eye colour more noticeable.

Olde Soul
January 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm putting my vote in for red.

Coriander
January 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
You seem to be one of those special people who looks good in just about any color. :)

BrightEyes
January 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
My vote is definitely red. It makes your eyes soooo pretty!!

Kimberly
January 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
If you leave your hair your natural color, you may find as it gets longer that you develop some really pretty highlights, or that's what your complexion makes me think. When my hair is short it's a dark ash brown. But it gets lighter and develops gold highlights (which go redder when I use my ACV rinse) when its long. It's a sign of damage, I guess, but it looks good and I wouldn't have known my hair would do it if I hadn't let it get long without dye. Might be worth the experiment if you haven't tried it.

Harriet
January 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I love the dark auburn on you!

TheCatSaidQuack
January 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Coriander - thanks :-). My husband said the same thing, but he followed it by 'so stop dying it and show off them all!'. :-)

Honestwitness
January 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think you look most beautiful in the bottom left picture. However, I agree that you look very pretty in every single one.

ItalianFlower
January 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think the red (especially the second picture) suits you very well

camirra555
January 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Another vote for the red! It looks really natural on you and flatters your skin tone

TiaKitty
January 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I vote for henna. Those reddish colors are beautiful on you and I think they would be easily achieved with henna. There is a wealth of information here about henna and it's use. It is something I've been using for a long time, and I love it!

Yozhik
January 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Go dark red -- I love that color and it seems to suit you very well :)
Welcome to LHC, by the way!

jaine
January 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
My personal favorite is the lower left picture - dark chocolate brown with just a touch of reddish warmth. But they are all very beautiful - and your natural color is beautiful too!

ButterCup02
January 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I like the bottom left too, browny red. Red colours really do suit you very nicely!

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I quite like your natural colour, but I have to admit, the red is stunning.

Nera
January 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I love your natural haircolor! I would kill for that color!

saskia_madding
January 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I like the bottom row, second from the left best. The darker colour *really* makes your gorgeous eyes stand out. If you wanted more red, you could do some light henna glosses that would add red highlights, which would probably look great too. :)

I can't wait to see what you decide to do, and the results of course.

Katrina
January 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I vote for the red in the fourth picture of the top row. Your natural color is the second best choice, in my opinion :).

GingerBoy'sMom
January 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I vote for red too!:D

klcqtee
January 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'd say the third picture, top row, is my favourite. That red looks so cute and flattering on you! My next choice would be your natural colour.

The deal with henna is that you probably won't get that light of a red. You can get a very pretty auburn. I think it'd be flattering on you as well. The problem is, if you decide you don't like henna, it's hard to change. Possible, of course, but generally removing the henna or covering it up can be damaging (unless using indigo/hendigo). Think long and hard before dying with henna.

Roseate
January 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I'm shocking myself by voting red! I like the medium or dark shades best.

I'm surprised because I usually like people's natural colors best in these types of threads, but that red really does work for you! I agree, it looks like henna should get you in that neighborhood. Read Nightshades article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7) and strand test, strand test, strand test!

Demetrue
January 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I like the chocolate brown in the first pic, second row. I also liked the darkest auburn on the top right, first row. I think if you hendigoed your natural color you could achieve that look very nicely with your natural hair color.

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I like the natural one best ! But you do look gorgeous in every color !

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Oh and welcome too, natural-curly-newbie like me :p
Your hair is really beautiful and much less damaged than mine is with ironing ...
(me, it's been only about 1 month without ironing... it's like recovering from an addiction :lol:)

TheCatSaidQuack
January 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Your hair is really beautiful and much less damaged than mine is with ironing ...
(me, it's been only about 1 month without ironing... it's like recovering from an addiction :lol:)
Oh, do I feel you there. I've tried so hard to put the iron away, to the point where I had my husband hide it from me (I found it hidden in the back of the freezer). I've gotten to the point where I only use it every couple weeks now (or whenever I do a length shot), and only with heat protection sprays, on the lowest setting. The rest of my time my hair is free to poof, frizz and curl to its heart desire. Thats why we have updo's, right? ;)

TheCatSaidQuack
January 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I love your natural haircolor! I would kill for that color!
whhhaa? What color is your hair naturally?

Toadstool
January 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Red or natural - both really suit you!

luluj
January 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Mother Nature knows best, I love your natural shade!