PDA

View Full Version : "Bent" Ends?

Sara_Smiles
April 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hello Ladies. Longtime Lurker, first time poster. I was doing my regular S&D yesterday when I noticed something a bit odd. The ends of my hair are very, very rarely split, but very commonly bent at the last 1/8th or so of an inch. They look quite strange, but they aren't split ( I certainly rubbed each one that looked like that for quite some time to ensure it) and they don't have that tell-tale white spot where a split is trying to form. What gives? Should I cut these bits? What do we think might be causing them?

For referance, I frequently bun my just past the shoulders hair with a covered elastic or an octopus clip, shampoo about 4 times a week, CO often and oil more or less daily, with a heavy oil with coconut oil about once a week. I've only been taking better careof it for a short time ( reduced shampoo and stopped chemical treatments about 4 months ago, started oiling about a month and a half ago, CO and coconut were only added to my routine about two weeks ago). Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeni
April 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I have those ends too, their odd. I don't cut them since they don't have a white spot and don't look damaged, just bent. I'm inclined to think its from being put up in a bun (that's how I wear my hair a lot), but I don't have a clue really. Glad I'm not alone.

KaeleyAnne
April 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've been doing daily (at least once per day, if not more frequently) S&Ds for a week or two in an effort to combat splits. I also occasionally have bent ends that do not appear damaged, aside from the bend. I usually run my fingers along the strand of hair - if it feels rough where the bend is located, I trim off the hair; if not, I just leave it be. Sometimes the bent ends (even though they are only 1/8th of an inch) are due to the hair style that I was wearing. I've noticed that it's much easier for me to do an S&D after washing my hair when my hair isn't bent out of shape from whatever style I had my hair in before doing the S&D.

Sara_Smiles
April 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Wow, glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I guess its because of my near-constant bun. Do you think more heavy end-oilings would help this problem? Either way, I'm relieved to hear I probably don't have to cut every last one of the little blighters!

Anje
April 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I get bent ends when my ends are getting really dry. For me, when they get like that, oil does not help at all. If you haven't lately, shampoo your hair to the ends (quick clarifying step, omit if you know you don't need it), then make sure you smear plenty of conditioner on them. Even better, follow the shampoo with a treatment like an SMT. I think you'll find your ends are soft and not bent anymore afterward.

ETA: Mine were angular bends, too. Often less than 1/4" long. Give it a try -- you can always S&D them out if this doesn't work!

nomadhome
April 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
If you mean an angular bend and not wavy/kinkiness, I consider those damaged on my hair and snip them during S&D. (FWIW)

Sara_Smiles
April 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Definately and angular bend, in some cases almost perpendicular to the hair shaft. Very odd. I think for now I'm going to baby my ends for a few days, and if they are still a bit bent in lets say a week I will snip them.

Alaskanheart
April 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I get them too, and I consider them to be either damaged or starting to become damaged and I snip them off. They make my hair look unsmooth and raggety, and I dont like that.

walkinglady
April 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I get these ends when I wear my hair up. I do not get them when I braid. Mine are not damaged, just bent.

aisling
April 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I have bent ends from buns and alike but I also have damaged ends that bend in really sharp 90 degree angles. The bent ends from updos aren't usually as sharp as those ends that are damaged and I see a difference between them.

Katze
April 28th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I get these from updos - anything other than a twist makes my hair do this. Funny, I thought I was alone!

Pegasus Marsters
April 28th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I bet they're from wearing a bun ^.^ My ends used to go all bendy and odd when I'd worn a bun too much. :flowers:

birdiefu
April 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I get bent ends depending on how I do a bun. They happen on non-damaged hair, too (my hair naturally will take waves/bends very well). When I'm doing S&D and run across these, I will sometimes test them by wetting my finger and running it along the hair. If the hair straightens out after getting wet and looks fine, I know it's just from the updo.

ginalaurie
April 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I get these when I wear a bun. I especially notice it when I push my amish hairpins in all the way. I try to leave the pins about 1/4" of an inch from the U bend in the end. That's one reason that I don't wear buns very often. I feel that they actually cause more damage for my fine hair than looser braids do. I usually cut them off if they're close to the end, but if they're up higher, I'll wet them and try to straighten them out. (OK, I have been quilty of giving them a quick lick if I'm not near any water!)

Sara_Smiles
April 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
For those of you still interested in this, I babied my hair today with a nice oiling and kept it ot of a bun. The result? No more bent ends, and they all look healthy.

lady_hero
April 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I get bent ends, too. Probably from too much bun wearing. I've never snipped them before. Hmmm... I think I'll do a heavy oiling the next time I need to wash.

heidi w.
April 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have sat, longterm (accidentally) on hair ends and ended up with bends. Re-wet and see if they go back to normal shape. OR look in sunlight to see if there's a tiny white dot after all!

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, now I see you oiled and bunned, and voila, no bent ends! Yep, re-wet! (Somehow). It usually works if it's not a white dot.

heidi w.

littlemiss
April 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I get these too, but i thought I was getting them from where I tye my braids at the ends for bed.:shrug: