PDA

View Full Version : Winter is depressing my hair (and me)

LaurelSpring
January 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I have such a hard time figuring out what to do with my hair in the winter! Because I am constantly putting my buff, scarf and hat on and off I am constantly messing up my hair. I try to keep it as compact and close to my head as possible. No way I can use any of my cute sticks forks or toys. Wearing it down is impossible because of all the sweater and coat friction. Right now I am stuck with butterfly combs and braided clippie buns but the clips get caught in my hat. When I wear the butterfly combs the scarf usually pulls it out when I put it on and off. My hair wasnt as long last year so it wasnt quite as difficult.

Is there a solution here that I am missing? Any other ideas? I have totally give up on creativity here and just trying to survive through the winter without too much damage.

sumptuousness
January 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I am having the same challenge at the moment regarding hat/hair compatibility and have settled for wearing two low braids as they are out of the way of the hat but still quite self contained and out of harm's way. Would work equally well with one low braid or a bun I expect. Hope that helps :)

Speckla
January 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
What about a hooded scarf?
It would sit on your hair and cover all your hair and neck and not be messy to take off.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=wrap+around+hood+scarf&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=YaZHS_PbN8WVtgem-dDjAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQzAMwAA

Merewen
January 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
They make hooded scarves? GENIUS! *goes and searches for patterns to make one*

Nera
January 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have one of those scards, they are really nice! you can just keep your hair in a low braid and cover it.

jojo
January 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
If you get a wide scarf, fold it in the middle and sew about 10" of it in the centre of the scarf, it acts as a hood and scarf.

I braid my hair and tuck into my coat and then wear the above over the top do my hair is covered. If its any consulation my hair is awful during winter, i find though that oil is the peacemaker and helps a lot, the cold is evil on hair and makes it break no matter what wash routine you use (its like -10 here) but by oiling, braiding, bunning etc it cuts down the breakage.

I am experiementing with mustard oil after a reccomendation off a member on here. apparently coconut oil is ok for warm weather or if your just indoors but mustard oil helps protect hair better in colder weather, worth a go even though it smells of belly buttons!

curlylocks85
January 9th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I just wear my hair in an English braid. I have to pin the sides, but my hair stays for the most part. Hats tend to stay and not make much of a mess of my hair, maybe it is because of my hair type.

Good Luck!

lol21
January 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
go to a salon ask there what to do,

and tell them what shampoo or conditioner they recommend,

salon products usually are great.

just bought this shampoo from there and it helped a lot with my hair falling out so much.

Toadstool
January 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
If you get a wide scarf, fold it in the middle and sew about 10" of it in the centre of the scarf, it acts as a hood and scarf.

Jojo you are an absolute genius! I just did this with a scarf from Poundland and now I have a fantastically warm hoody-scarf that looks great:)

Dreams_in_Pink
January 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM
i have something like this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1187/image1xlo.jpg

It covers your forehead, ears and neck and leaves hair outside :D you don't even have to take it off indoors, doesn't look weird at all.

Fractalsofhair
January 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Personally, I'd suggest going for a simple bun you can redo when you reach your destination. Maybe a scarf to put over your hair that's made of a slippery fabric, like silk,(Or a kerchief type thing) and a heavier scarf all over it. Generally speaking, I just leave my head uncovered when I'm outdoors, or put on earmuffs and something over my face. My hair manages to keep my head warm for the short amount of time I'm outdoors. Hats just never worked for me in the winter.

Lol21-Salon products don't work for everyone! My hair went (due to breakage) from thigh to shoulder from using Paul Mitchell, bought at a salon and suggested by a salon. Admittedly, I was 10 and didn't really take care of my hair all that well, but still. Glad you found something that worked for you though!

klcqtee
January 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Have you checked out the Hannah Hat? There was a thread on it a while back. You can buy them on Etsy too! It's a hat with a hole for your bun, and buttons, so you can take the hat off without having to take down your hair!

What I do is bun my hair (yup, with sticks), then put a hood on over my head (hair and all), then wrap a scarf around my neck, outside of my hood. This way, it closes the hood around my neck, and helps keep my ears warm, but allows me to not mess up my hair and make it all frizzy.

Kris Dove
January 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I've been braiding mine lately, it's the easiest way to wear a hat.

joyful373
January 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi there! You have gotten a lot of good ideas! I figured I'd throw out another suggestion or two too... I wear my hair in either a bun or braid. It might have to be redone in the middle of the day, but it is pretty trustworthy. If you want to wear your hair down, a safe way to take care of it in the winter is to wear it in your coat. Take the length, and divide it in two, then cross it over gently and bring it to the front. You can keep it safely tucked in your coat that way, and it works quite well. Hope that helps...

joyful

jojo
January 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Jojo you are an absolute genius! I just did this with a scarf from Poundland and now I have a fantastically warm hoody-scarf that looks great:) good aren't they, i call mine my pixie hood!!!:D

Jessikinz
January 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM
All I do is wear it in a side braid. I'm not much help though because I don't go outside too often in the winter. But when I do it's usually in a braid. I also don't really mind the damage that I get from winter. SMT's help my hair get back to normal.

LaurelSpring
January 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have a couple of scarves around that I can try to sew. I also am going to try the hoodie idea. Its such a pain to have to do all of this bundling up before I go outside. Im definately a summer girl. Somewhere I saw a scarf pattern with buttoms on the back of the neck. I think I am going to try to find or make that also. That way instead of messing up my hair with the buff I can just wrap it around my neck and button then use the band or muffs for the top. Thanks for the inspiration.

Spike
January 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hmmm . . . oiled crown braids, maybe? It looks like you'd have the length for that.

Madame J
January 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I just don't wear a hat, and I'm north of you :p I think the hat you're thinking of is called "Hannah" and the pattern is on a popular knitting site. There's a thread around here somewhere that Hypnotica posted ("Longhairs with cold ears" maybe?).

I also find that a flipped up French braid secured with a Flexi fits fine under a hat for when I absolutely need one (i.e., 20 degrees with 30mph winds, like a week or so ago). I still get to put something pretty in my hair, but it's relatively confined when I take a hat on and off.