PDA

View Full Version : New Bangs!!!

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Ok, I did it! I must say that I like my new bangs. Now my hair looks much better up. My only problem is there is a little place, I am guessing, where it parted naturally before the bangs. How do I get rid of that? I need some ideas on buns, braids and ponies....yea!!!

marikamt
January 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Oh, I want to see!!!! Pics?? I want to get mine re-done too.......

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I will try to take and post new photos today.

chaoticwaves
January 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
The only way I could get my bangs that I had briefly to stay in place was to straight iron them. And, even then they would try and separate at the part. Stubborn part! I think after some time of constantly combing them straight down and wearing them that way, your bangs will be trained at staying in place. I'm glad you like them! :)

TiaKitty
January 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
That's what I worry about if I cut bangs! My hair parts naturally in the middle, and it's been so long since I've had bangs that I'm afraid I will have a permanent "gap" there.

I am thinking that if you blow them dry with a roundish brush for a couple of weeks the bangs might "forget" about the part that was there.

I know it's against the normal way of thinking to get a round brush anywhere *near* long hair, but just for the bangs, I think it would be okay, if you are very careful!!!

Please post the pics! I want to see your bangs... it is very exciting for me to see them, since I am seriously considering cutting my own bangs in!

spidermom
January 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
When your hair is wet, comb your bangs against the natural part. Eventually they may dry without the part, though not guaranteed.

Gypsygirl
January 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
and wearing them that way, your bangs will be trained at staying in place. I'm glad you like them! :)

That's what mine did when I first got them about 15 years ago. Took them about a month, I think.

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
If I remember correctly, when I had bangs a few years ago, I could get away with just washing them (the bangs) instead of the whole head. Any thoughts on that? Since I have quit smoking, my hair won't smell as icky when it is just a little dirty...

saskia_madding
January 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
To keep my bangs against the part I wet them, put a *tiny* amount of product in them, then bobby pinned them where I wanted them to be. By the time I got to work they had dried and I took the bobby pins out. As long as you don't fuss with them a lot, they should stay.

Gypsygirl
January 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I wash my bangs separately every morning. No big deal...

GoddesJourney
January 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Congratulations on quitting smoking! That's a big thing!

As for the bangs, this works in both direction. For example, my husband is growing his hair out from a buzz cut, so he's just used to pushing all his hair forward. Right now, he's learning to comb it back and holding it down with a hat to train it to go in a new direction. So far, he's breaking even in that it's starting to at least go toward the sides instead of forward. (Believe me, forward with wavy/curly hair at his length just frames his whole face with what looks like a flower ;P) Anyway, the point is that if you keep combing it forward while wet it will start to agree with you. You see the same thing on people who shave their heads after having it longer. They still have a part for awhile until their hair gets used to the new thing.

motormuffin
January 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I use the hair dryer on just my bangs while I hold the rest of my hair up and back so they stay forward of the long hair. I get more mileage from my washes by just washing my bangs. I'll put my hair up in a clippy in the shower and wash my neck and bangs and leave the rest. Then I'm just wet around the edges. I don't use product in them because it usually messes with my skin.

Celebrian
January 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I love my bangs - although I do have trouble with them if they are cut too short! I can look like the oldest toddler in the world... :rolleyes:

Meant to say, I wash my bangs every day too. Works fine for me!

walterSCAN
When your hair is wet, comb your bangs against the natural part. Eventually they may dry without the part, though not guaranteed.

I did this^ with my bangs when I had them, and it worked pretty well. Mine were pretty thick though, so depending on how thick yours are, it might not work as well.

Sherri
A hairdresser once told me that you have to work the hair in a different direction than it is used to. So she said take a blow dryer and blow it in the opposite direction you want to wear it. Then work it back and forth. She said evenly you train it to lay the way you want it to.

sumptuousness
January 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Having wavy hair and consequently a fringe that could quite happily dry upright given the opportunity, I have found the best training device to be a long sectioning clip that I clip to the bottom of my fringe after washing, whilst it is still damp.

This gives enough weight to allow my fringe to dry straight down and evenly across. Maybe you could try something like this? It also has the advantage of not requiring heat :)

melrose1985
January 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I used to always have my hair parted down the middle as a child and teen. at night when i went to bed i would clump (or twist) them together and clip or bobby pin them so at night... over a little bit of time this took care of the problem.

melrose1985
January 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
If I remember correctly, when I had bangs a few years ago, I could get away with just washing them (the bangs) instead of the whole head. Any thoughts on that? Since I have quit smoking, my hair won't smell as icky when it is just a little dirty...

Yep!! i would do it in the sink. A tiny bit of soap and you're good to go!

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I was trying to post my new "banged" photo as an avatar...I think you can see it on my profile page though...I sorta like it!

pinchbeck
January 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Because your photos aren't that clear it is hard to tell how they look on you. But, if you're happy with them that is all that counts. We sometimes need a change, eh?

GlennaGirl
January 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I was trying to post my new "banged" photo as an avatar...I think you can see it on my profile page though...I sorta like it!

OMG. I LOVE THESE. LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM. They are just perfect with your face and with the rest of your hair. Nice job!!! Wonderful!

Raven2448
January 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yes - typically with bangs you tend to have to wash each AM - but its a breeze. I just wash mine in the sink and give them 1 min with the hair dryer and - Voila!

My hair also naturally parts in the middle ... I can trick them by using a close toothed comb and using some hairspray - but it never lasts all day. I usually side part instead.

rogue_psyche
January 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I never could train my bangs to not follow their natural part and cowlick. So I cut them to work with my cowlick, not against it. No more bad bang days for me. I'm not sure where your bangs want to part, but you might consider asking the stylist to cut you bangs with your hair parted where it wants to part.

marikamt
January 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I LOVE THEM! I am getting mine trimmed now... I think I want them cut in thicker...

In answer to above question, I wash my current bangs more often than my hair... works great for me!

longinthehair
January 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I think they look marvellous on you as well!
Thinking of maybe..maaybe cutting in a very, very few wispy ones myself..I have a widow's peak..would not really take from sides, but just more or less from top..very thinly across. Still thinking on this one..not sure...uh...not sure..going back and forth on it. Any hairs I'd be cutting really aren't much longer then chin length anyway..cause they are ones that tend to not grow too long anyway..I just don't know.
I figure if I cut them wispy enough, I can have them with or without (by brushing them back into main part). Just not sure..