PDA

View Full Version : what are your peeves other people do hair wise?

Ruvie
January 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
i think my BIGGEST peeve started in highschool, and there was a girl in my math class who had platinum blonde hair..she told everyone it was natural, but i didnt believe her because she had black eyebrows!(and also, the roots were darker, big sign..)

im not trying to offend, but i just want to tell every girl i see with platinum hair and black eyebrows that they look like they have black caterpillars on their faces >< if you are going to lighten your hair that much, at least make the eyebrows match, or dont try to convince everyone its a natural color etc etc~ does this bug anyone else?

..rant over. haha.

Ursula
January 8th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Why would anyone have peeves about what other people do to their own hair?

It's their hair, their head, and their life. They aren't here to decorate your world.

JenniferNoel
January 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Why would anyone have peeves about what other people do to their own hair?

It's their hair, their head, and their life. They aren't here to decorate your world.

It's true, however, there's always that gut instinct that irks me a little when I see someone doing something ridiculous to their hair, but I just tell myself "It's not on my head now, is it?" :D

halo_tightens
January 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I get a little irritated when people don't seem to be using any logic, hair-wise. They'll complain endlessly about how dry, brittle, and lifeless their hair is, and wonder out loud why it's always that way, yet they continue to bleach every two weeks, blowdry and flatiron daily, and refuse to ever use any conditioner because it makes their hair "greasy."

Um... DUH?! :rolleyes:

(My hair used to be in an awful state, but I also was fully aware of how it got that way. I knew perfectly well that I had done it to myself, and that it was a conscious choice. I don't condemn anyone for doing any particular hair-related practices-- as long as they understand and accept the consequences!)

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hairdressers that want to chop off my hair. I had one get in my face and tell me that it was DEAD...she cuts the same style even on guys, long in the front and short in the back. I think that is the ugliest hair cut...I like mullets better. I think Locks of Love is immoral.

spidermom
January 8th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Not a peeve exactly because I don't care what other people do to the hair, but I'm rather bothered by the concept of not washing it because it's a hygiene issue in my mind. I don't think I'd want to take food from the hand of somebody who doesn't believe in washing their hair.

SlightlySoprano
January 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I get a little irritated when people don't seem to be using any logic, hair-wise. They'll complain endlessly about how dry, brittle, and lifeless their hair is, and wonder out loud why it's always that way, yet they continue to bleach every two weeks, blowdry and flatiron daily, and refuse to ever use any conditioner because it makes their hair "greasy."

Um... DUH?! :rolleyes:

My roommate it this way... and she also wonders why she can't deal with her hair any longer than chin length... *headdesk*

otherarrow
January 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Not a peeve exactly because I don't care what other people do to the hair, but I'm rather bothered by the concept of not washing it because it's a hygiene issue in my mind. I don't think I'd want to take food from the hand of somebody who doesn't believe in washing their hair.

You mean NEVER washes their hair? Not even with just water? o.o

Anyway, blondes who colour their hair dark and then don't re-colour it for a good amount of months.. sorry I can't stand lighter roots...

Heidi_234
January 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM

There's the NW/SO way (No Water/Sebum Only), some LHCers like it. I did it for few months before LHC, and to be honest, I find nothing unhygienic about it. It's not like tap water is utterly sterile either anyway :shrug:

I just thought recently about a hair pet peeve of mine - girls or women who do top of the head really messy knotty bun thing, wrap it with a thin painful hair tie and go out like that. I mean, what the heck?! Got tired from looking pretty all the time? :confused:

Áine
January 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
The only hair peeves I have are when other people do things to MY hair.

Otherwise, with regards in what they do to their own hair, I may wince sometimes, but I don't care enough to be "peeved" by it.

SHELIAANN1969
January 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Anyway, blondes who colour their hair dark and then don't re-colour it for a good amount of months.. sorry I can't stand lighter roots...

There is a method called Sebum Only, it distributes the hairs natural oils throughout the hair by brushing it.

Some people do use it as a hair care method, and I have seen photos and blogs, it seems to work well and their hair is not repulsive or funky, and I am sure their feelings would be hurt if we indicated that it was dirty or unacceptable. :flower:

We all have different ways of doing things, for me, I use water and co daily, and shampoo or poo bars every 5/6 days, but that's because I like water on my head, it feels fabulous.

Now, for the peeves....I wouldn't call it a peeve per se, but I cringe when people power brush their hair, jerking, ripping, tearing, breaking and having no love for it, my friends daughter did this in front of me. :bigeyes: I was distressed, lol

Addy
January 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Watching my daughter when she had longer hair rip a brush through wet hair!

It was like finger nails to a chalk board! :tmi: :brains: :shocked: :blueeek: :nono:

florenonite
January 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
The only thing that really bothers me is when people complain about their hair to me but won't take advice. Everyone does it about something or other, I know, but why complain if you don't really want anyone to help?

Sammich
January 8th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yes I agree Addy. I was just going to write about people who brush through their hair when it's wet, OR EVEN DRY like... like some sort of machine, not caring. It's just scary for me to watch, I try not to but the horror is err... unnerving.. and distracting, especially the sounds. *Shiver*

pinchbeck
January 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
1) Hairstyles that are stuck in a time warp
2) Tons of split ends on longer lengths from power growing or from frequent straightening
3) Messy buns where the hair is twisted all over the place representing a poorly made bird's nest
3) Inches and inches of virgin growth and different coloured inches and inches of dyed hair (bleached hair can be remedied by covering it with a semi-permanent hair colour that matches the roots; darker coloured hair should be left alone to avoid stripping and damage)
4) The gray coming through in my hair!

Auryn
January 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I just thought recently about a hair pet peeve of mine - girls or women who do top of the head really messy knotty bun thing, wrap it with a thin painful hair tie and go out like that. I mean, what the heck?! Got tired from looking pretty all the time? :confused:

This!!!! It looks like they got out of bed, didn't bother to comb/brush and out the door they went!

maxzeen
January 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
i think my BIGGEST peeve started in highschool, and there was a girl in my math class who had platinum blonde hair..she told everyone it was natural, but i didnt believe her because she had black eyebrows!(and also, the roots were darker, big sign..)

im not trying to offend, but i just want to tell every girl i see with platinum hair and black eyebrows that they look like they have black caterpillars on their faces >< if you are going to lighten your hair that much, at least make the eyebrows match, or dont try to convince everyone its a natural color etc etc~ does this bug anyone else?

..rant over. haha.

I actually knew a girl from elementary school all the way up to high school who had platinum blonde hair and really dark eyebrows. Her hair was natural platinum blonde and she did get made fun of because of her eyebrows. Some people just naturally have darker eyebrows than their hair. They can't help it.

Kirzja
January 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Generally, I don't really care what people do with their hair.

Except when they don't take care of it at all. There was a guy in secondary school who appearantly didn't realize that shoulderlength hair needs to be washed and untangled sometimes... he also had lots of dandruff. It looked ugly and unhygenic. Very.
Just shave it off if you don't want to spend any effort on your hair.

DarthCynthia
January 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I don't have issues with what others do with their hair... I'm only concerned with my own, so I don't have any peeves.

As far as differing hair colors, I was born blond, but my eyebrows and eyelashes were much darker (medium to dark brown). My hair darkened over time to a deep coppery brown, but my eyebrows and eyelashes are still darker than my hair (very dark brown to black).

Honey39
January 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't care what people do to their hair at all - I like a bit of diversity, to be honest!

My big pet peeve are people who comb/brush their hair out near me, whether on public transport or in cafes etc (not in rest rooms, obviously). That makes me grossed out to be honest, but I am talking next to me, not feet away.

jaine
January 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It bothers me when other people make suggestions about how I should change my hair. Length, color, etc. This is especially annoying when it comes from guys that I just met.

The only person who can give me advice about my appearance is my hair stylist ... that's what I pay her for. :)

Messyhair
January 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
One of my closest friends actually DOES have naturally light, light, near platinum blond hair and black eyebrows. Some people do naturally have this combo. But she doesn't get the dark roots, obviously. :p

I just don't like seeing people with super fried, unconditioned hair. Ick.

Pixna
January 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I don't have any pet peeves about other people's hair. It's THEIR hair -- they can do what they want with it, just as I can do what I want with mine. I might be fascinated with people's color or style or amazed at how much product they used or how damaged their hair is, but I look at them more with interest and curiosity than with judgment. I don't judge lest I be judged. :wannabe:

turtlelover
January 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
My pet peeves: greasy un-washed hair, untreated dandruff, and stringy ends. Sorry, but I will NEVER "get" the whole fairytale end thing. I love super long hair, but only w/ thick ends.

Carolyn
January 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I'm way too busy with my own hair concerns to care or get peeved over what someone else does. I'm watching my own parade so to speak. There are things that people do that make me go WTF?? But I don't care that they do them.

I adore messy bird's nest buns. I try and try and can't get my hair all nice and messy like that. I'm kind of fond of the messy just rolled out bed look.

Bellalalala
January 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm way too busy with my own hair concerns to care or get peeved over what someone else does. I'm watching my own parade so to speak. There are things that people do that make me go WTF?? But I don't care that they do them.

I adore messy bird's nest buns. I try and try and can't get my hair all nice and messy like that. I'm kind of fond of the messy just rolled out bed look.

I am all about messy buns.
My best friend has straight blond hair and it drives her batty that I can just throw my hair up and it looks good. She calls it my "designer disaster" hair. My hair never looks good when it's too smooth, but I get compliments all the time when it's a little crazy.

karli
January 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
When I was younger and worked as a waitress, it was waitresses that wore their hair loose - the risk of a piece of hair in the food or the risk of food in the hair.

Nowadays it is nurses that wears their hair down - germs(!) and the risk of several body fluids in the hair...

Cholera
January 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Being in high school, with so many other girls around who do ridiculous things to their hair, I find it hard to stay "neutral" and at least not think to myself, "Why, why, would do you do that to your hair when it looks so awful?" Of course, I came from a very liberal city and moved to a pretty conservative rural area, but still! I don't get some of the things people do to their hair.

My two biggest peeves would be that "front bump" thing that girls do with their bangs. Sure, a little height in the front isn't bad when you put your hair back tight enough to lift your eyebrows, but there's this one girl in my Chemistry class who makes that pouf seriously 6" high. It makes her face look rather long. My second one would be people with longish hair that has tons of split ends, and they complain about it, but also say "I can't use conditioner because it makes my hair soooo greasy." My boyfriend's little sister is like this. We had a long conversation about that once, and we figured out that all of her conditioner had cones in it, and I told her to maybe try one that doesn't. She won't, I know, and continues to straighten or curl her seriously straight hair. /rant

Gosh, I can't believe that was so long. I don't blame anyone for skipping this post!

Speckla
January 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Not a petpeeve - more like makes me wince - ponytails held by a rubberband (office supply). And watching people just rip them out without unlooping them.

SunshineHair
January 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I do have two...any if anyone has kids with the thing I am about to complian about, I am so sorry!

I HATE when parents shave off their little boys hair to nothing :0

And I HATE when parents let their little boys have mohawks

Oh oh and I cannot stand rat tails hehehe!!!

Nightshade
January 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is when people complain about their hair to me but won't take advice. Everyone does it about something or other, I know, but why complain if you don't really want anyone to help?

I came here to say this. I mean, I understand venting, but when you [general you] ask me how on earth I get my hair so long and healthy and I tell you that I don't straighten/dye/blow dry/perm/use harsh shampoos or styling products, the aghast face and the "Oh, I could never do THAT" as though I'd just suggested you eat your first born is rather annoying. :rolleyes:

Arctic_Mama
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
My pet peeve is when others criticize long hair as unhealthy or messy, and their own is chin length and colored/fried within an inch of its' life. I expect a split or two on waist length hair - that doesn't make it less healthy than theirs, and it is certainly a LOT prettier!

freznow
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Yesterday morning my friend shuddered, "Euughhh - that girl was picking at her split ends!" I didn't even notice, though I would wonder at it because I feel for the poor hairs. :p

The thing that bugs me most (considering I rarely pay attention) is when someone wears their hair naturally curly to school, and it looks nice and they're all "But it's so frizzy and wild, I just have to straighten it every day." And I just have to wonder if they've ever tried catering to the curls' needs...

Mutinous
January 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
My one peeve is when my best friend/flat mate will dry his hair, straighten it, put product in it and straighten it again so the stuff burns into his hair.

Drives me bonkers!

aililiú
January 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I actually knew a girl from elementary school all the way up to high school who had platinum blonde hair and really dark eyebrows. Her hair was natural platinum blonde and she did get made fun of because of her eyebrows. Some people just naturally have darker eyebrows than their hair. They can't help it.

its true :) i have light brown/golden/copper hair, with black eyebrows-- when i have my natural colour people sometimes think its dyed, and when i dyed it black people thought it was natural.

Quixii
January 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Biggest hair pet peeve: When people straighten their hair! I just don't understand it, and it bothers me they would damage their hair from some lusted after look that I don't particularly like. Nothing against straight hair, but I just don't get why everyone wants to/thinks they should straighten their hair. Or even worse, the people with straight hair that straighten it anyway. Why? :confused:
Edit: Or/especially when they say they NEED to straighten their hair. No. Just no.

Aer
January 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I get a little irritated at people that abuse their hair, and then complain that they can't grow out their hair because it just "naturally" splits after shoulder length, or chin length, etc. But it's not a peeve.

As far a people with hair that doesn't match their eyebrows, that doesn't bother me. In fact, your eyebrows are not supposed to match your eyebrows ( in the fashion, make up, and trend world). And there are natural blonds, ( my best friend since I was ten) with brown brows, and natural auburn haired people with dark brown brows (me). There are some who have matching brows and hair, but it's not uncommon for it not to be. I know for a fact that my friend and I don't dye our hair or brows, I occasionally gloss with henna, but if I didn't my hair would still be auburn and my brows brown.

florenonite
January 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Biggest hair pet peeve: When people straighten their hair! I just don't understand it, and it bothers me they would damage their hair from some lusted after look that I don't particularly like. Nothing against straight hair, but I just don't get why everyone wants to/thinks they should straighten their hair. Or even worse, the people with straight hair that straighten it anyway. Why? :confused:
Edit: Or/especially when they say they NEED to straighten their hair. No. Just no.

My little sister has hair that's slightly wavier than mine, but she "needs" to straighten it because otherwise it's "gross". That bothers me because she's kind of insulting my hair at the same time.

BranwenWolf
January 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
1. Platinum blonde hair and fake tans to the point where a woman's skin is tangerine-colored.
Um...were we going for anything close to a natural look?
2. People who straighten and fry and tease and dye their hair and then wonder why it breaks off and never gets long.
3. People who say I should bleach my already-blonde hair.

ButterCup02
January 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I came here to say this. I mean, I understand venting, but when you [general you] ask me how on earth I get my hair so long and healthy and I tell you that I don't straighten/dye/blow dry/perm/use harsh shampoos or styling products, the aghast face and the "Oh, I could never do THAT" as though I'd just suggested you eat your first born is rather annoying. :rolleyes:

This exactly!! I am lucky that my close girl friends and sister try to take good care of their hair, but other than with them I usually just don't tell people what I do anymore LOL

Copasetic
January 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
The only hair related pet peeve I have is when people play with their hair constantly. I remember sitting behind a girl in lecture who kept twisting all of her curls for the entire 50 minutes. It was SO distracting.

ItalianFlower
January 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I have only one pet peeve: when moms rake a brush through their young girl's hair, despite the girl squirming and whining that it hurts and the mom says "No it doesn't." I've BEEN that little girl (mom has thin, straight hair, I had curly and thick and it DID hurt when she brushed it but she thought I was just giving her a hard time). I see moms do this all the time and I'm just like, "You know, that MIGHT actually really hurt..."

It always amazes parents that I'm friends with when their daughters will let ME brush their hair. They think I'm some kind of sorcerer haha. But the kids are always like, "Thanks for not yanking my hair out."

Elenna
January 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
.... Inches and inches of virgin growth and different coloured inches and inches of dyed hair (bleached hair can be remedied by covering it with a semi-permanent hair colour that matches the roots; darker coloured hair should be left alone to avoid stripping and damage)....

Well, some of us here do have this hair problem of growing out virgin hair that is graying and left over dyed hair!

My peeve is taking ds in for a hair cut and the stylist wants to push hair products on him!!!!

Tangles
January 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
When my friends rip synthetic-plastic-tipped brushes through their hair.

Also, I've got nothing against bleaching, but it really annoys me when women think they HAVE to bleach it, no matter the cost to the hair's condition.

Ash
January 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
It's not really a peeve but it messes with my OCD slightly - Sometimes people pull their hair up into a ponytail or a bun and forget a small piece at the back of the neck. That forgotten piece bothers me.

Another one that used to bother me was a very long braid tassel. It seemed that the person got lazy and didn't feel like braiding all the way down. Since I have been here, I kind of understand why people do it but I still can't bring myself to leave a large tassel on my own hair and I braid down as far as possible.

trolleypup
January 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
The Long Hair Community is a positive and supportive forum, threads that focus on negative aspects of others behavior, whether or not they are members of the forum, are not in keeping with the desired atmosphere here.

The Community Guidelines and Terms of Service (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/index.php?page=tos), section 3, in particular addresses this.