PDA

View Full Version : question-shed hair count -perhaps a bit obsessive?

swan
April 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
i know this is (a bit) obsessive and it's been quite some time that i've tried not to think about shedding anymore and let it do what it likes to do. but i also thought for some time that it's calmed down. tonight (Sunday evening) i washed and finger combed and based on my count (think it's pretty accurate) i lost about 100-105 strands. last time i had washed and detangled was Friday morning and since then it's been contained in a low pony. since i usually wet my hair every day and fingercomb with leave-in, the daily shedding doesn't appear as scary. but from Friday morning to Sunday loosin 105 scared me:( anyone anyone?? how many do you usually lose during this time?

girlcat36
April 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I don't think you are being overly obsessive. The only way to know if your hairloss is improving is to keep track of it! I have thin hair that tends to shed so yes, I have lost that much. But for me it was bad because there wasn't much to start with. I'm sure you will find many members here that shed loads all the time, with their thickness remaining unaffected.

spidermom
April 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
It is normal to lose 100 hairs a day. So to lose 105 in 2 days is better than normal. Stop worrying and enjoy your hair..

MusingFrog
April 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
For years I had the attitude that if I was shedding the hair was meant to come out. Never bothered me. After being on here for awhile I obsessed about it a lot. Thing is obsessing won't change the number of hairs you shed.

If you want to keep track go ahead and keep track. But don't obsess. Write down the number and forget about it. That way if you actually do start to lose a lot of hair you'll have a baseline. But I wouldn't freak out over losing 100 hairs or so over two days. Pretty average.

salamander
April 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
100 hairs a day is supposed to be the average. You're doing better than that! I've heard that people can shed up to 300 hairs a day, and still have it be normal.

Nat242
April 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I don't count my shed hairs - it's not something I want to worry about. I do everything I can to ensure it won't fall out unnecessarily (I wash it gently, I'm conscious of nutrition, I'm careful about combing it, I wear it up most of the time, etc.) and beyond that, I let it be.

-- Natalie

tiny_teesha
April 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
i counted my shed hairs over a 24hr period of not combing....i got 165 hairs....
Now that is excessive as i do show taper...quite easily actually.
I dont want to count again...it was annoying but i got a decent sized hair "extension" out of it so if i kept it up for a month i could totally double my ponytail thickness and start makeing hair weaves for myself i guess... HAHA!
It is normal. 100/24hrs is average. I wish i lost 3/24hrs my hair would be a lot thicker and not have taper!!! :( lol! You just got to handle what you get dealt i suppose!

Saranne772
April 28th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I dont dare count because I would be worried. lol

Xanthippe
April 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I don't count because I'm not that patient, but I think that as long as you don't see thinning then you're alright. I shed a lot - probably more than average, so I taper, but I'm not bald yet :)

swan
April 28th, 2008, 06:01 AM
thanks all, for replying. i think i'll force myself into my habit of ignoring it entirely like what i was doing before yesterday. i do see thinning here and there -on top and crown particularly, but i'm hoping it'll come back some day, ...some time!

rhubarbarin
April 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
psh.. last time I counted my sheds I lost 300+ in 2 days! Granted, this was after a wash with regular conditioner, which makes me shed a lot more.. usually I wash with AOHR, which cuts my shedding roughly in half.. and a lot of the shed hairs were short ones from around my hairline. Still, I have you beat, and I have a 3" ponytail that hasn't decreased since I started measuring, so this shed rate is normal for me. My mom sheds a lot too, but doesn't have thinning hair either. I would love to be one of those people who only shed 10 hairs a day (I have a feeling most of them are iii), but I wouldn't waste time worrying about your shed rate unless your hair is noticably thinning.. and even if it is, try not to stress too much!

swan
April 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM
rhubarbarin, thanks! you're right. i've resolved to keep my hair up most of the time (scalp friendly ways but not buns --they put pressure on my scalp no matter what) and forget about it altogether.

girlcat36
April 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I washed my hair on Sunday, and again today. I lost 143 hairs during todays wash. Too many in my opinion for someone with thin hair to start with. When I scalp massage everyday, and a BBB every few days, my shedding is greatly reduced. Obviously I have not been keeping up with the scalp massage/brushing routine. This is the result.

swan
April 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
if you had not detangled/combed/brushed between then and today, and that's your total shed for 3 days that's not too much. i washed today and had rinsed yesterday and jut between yesterday and today lost about 85 or so. but i'm repeating to myself 'the hel with it;; i'm done with keeping track. though this is easier said than done of course!
this morning, i seriously thought about a bob cut --i've been considering this for some time now but i'm under so much peer pressure from my friends, repeating that my hair is my most distinctive feature etc. etc. that it's hard to resist and follow the urge.

girlcat36
April 30th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I have curly hair so I do not brush. Still think it is too much compared to the shed rate when I take better care of my hair.

Aljona
April 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Does the amount of shed hairs have anything to do with your hair length? I mean if you are at your terminal length do you shed more? I've just noticed that now when my hair is shorter I don't shed much at all.

squiggyflop
May 1st, 2008, 07:01 AM
you have alot more patience than me...
i tried to count mine once.. i got to 7 and gave up because i was bored and pressed for time.. im always pressed for time.. i cant get myself to count the ones i lose in the bath because im too busy trying to read the subtitles on the tv.. (good way to strengthen your reading speed if you have learning disabilities like me is to watch foreign movies with subtitles)and yes i do know that its strange to have a portable dvd player that never leaves the bathroom... i dont think i would ever take a bath or shower that was longer than 6 minutes if it wasnt in there to entertain me.. its not that i dont want to be clean (i can get myself clean in 5 minutes if i skip shaving and use liquid bodywash) i just get bored easily and i hate being wet..

yogachic
May 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
I don't worry about hairs from shedding. I know when I took the depo prevera shot over 10 years ago, I had lots of hair loss in shedding, that's about the only time I worried about it.

Leisa
May 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Swan, that is only around 50 hairs a day. Thats not bad at all.

I've managed to get my shed down to around 20 hairs a day.

Its all up to how you feel about it and how thick your hair is.

If you want to decrease shed there are things you can do, however, 50 hairs a day is not bad at all.

Remember shed rate affects terminal length. The more hair you shed the shorter your terminal length will be. If a person sheds excessively, they will not be able to obtain super long length, classic or beyond.

swan
May 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM
hi Leisa,
thanks. would you mind sharing how you manage to reduce your shed? i've tried almost everything i've learned here and elsewhere, form massage, to EOs, to gentel handling to....you name it.
in fact, right now i'm going such a bad phase that if continued this way i'll be totally bald --and i'm not exaggerating. i ty to put it up and not think too much about it but it's there, undeniably.

Leisa
May 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Swan, my hair went from iii to ii and was making its way to i. So that is why I decided to get serious about stopping shed.

For me this is what I did. I count my hairs shed daily so that I know how many I'm losing. And then I did several different regimes to figure out which resulted in the most shedding.

Conditioner was the worst for me, 100-150 hairs a day lost. I eliminated that. (Instead I'll pre-oil with coconut or olive oil). Oils have no shedding effect on me.

Then I looked for the shampoo that was the most begnin. Herbs were the best causing about 10 hairs shed a day, and some shampoos are second best causing from 15 - 35 hairs a day.

Some shampoos are more irritating, for example I just switched shampoo and my shed rate has doubled. So I'm going back to another one that kept me at 15 lost a day.

Sinse I don't use conditioner, I rarely brush or comb. Instead I finger comb when my hair is dry. To keep it moisturized I will use oil (overnight before washing) or even mix aloe vera with my shampoo 50/50. Then braid hair to keep moisture in.

You have to take care if you stop using conditioner, but for me it was WELL worth it to not lose my hair.

I don't know if that will work for you, but it worked for me!:cheese: Try many different shampoos too, some have more "irritating" chemicals in them than others. Natural ones probably are the best, however i can use Suave clarifying shampoo and not lose more than 15 a day however it is drying. I recommend a 'health food store' brand that has minimum chemicals that can irritate sensitive scalps. It might be worth your while to try herbal washes also as that is actually soothing and good for your scalp. However, they are finicky and can dry the hair if overused.

swan
May 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
this is very helpful, thanks. i think herbal washes are no option for me now just becasue of time constraints. but i'll keep the rest in mind. presently i've reacted to something that has caused such an alarming rate of shedding--i just need to gfigure out what. i've not done anything diferent from the past....sigh.

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Swan, my advise would be to approach it like a scientific experiement. Start with using one mild shampoo and some coconut or olive oil for a pre treatment or leave in. Do that for one week and see how much hair you are losing at the end of the week.

If you're still losing a lot then switch to another mild shampoo (preferable natural one, no SLS or cones ..etc). Try that for a week.

If that doesn't decrease your shed I honestly don't know what would.

Gradually you can introduce things like conditioner one at a time for a week, and see if it affects your shed rate. *(during your experiement dont brush or comb but fingercomb when dry only).

If you don't get any results then it may be health related. In that case I would consider supplements for your hair.

Folk remedies around here for thinning hair involve putting *real aloe vera jel on your scalp for a couple hours then rinsing it out. I've found that I can use aloe vera as a conditioner substitute as it wont cause hair loss.

If you're not scientific about it you won't find out what the culprit is. Good luck!:)

swan
May 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Leisa,
Thank you so much for all of this. I’ve experimented for a year and half now but haven’t found strong correlations to be able to rely on. I have to fingercomb when my hair is damp (3B/C hair will be a total mess if fingercombed dry). But I do it extremely carefully. I do use either mild poos or poo bars amd am taking supplements –multivits- +good diet/lots of water. My scalp reacts to things I have been using for a long time for no good reason all of a sudden. I think this is partly internal, but then I have no hormonal imbalance that tests can show. I think I’ll just have to be patient and not think to much of it at this point, but I’ll keep all you said in mind.

Patrycja
May 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
I don't count as well.I'm shedding alot these days and its worrying me...its wash day since I was too lazy to do it last night and I'm going to count the strands this time...just so I know.Still scared though!

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ok :) Good luck Swan,
You'll figure it out. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

Nevermore
May 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Spidermom is right, the daily average is 100ish, so if you only lost that many in two days, you're doing well. Another thing to keep in mind is that wearing your hair up most of the time can make it seem like you're losing CLUMPS of hair when you do take it down and give it a good combing/brushing or wash it, because the hairs you would normally lose everywhere don't drop off onto your rug, your coworker's keyboard, the book you're reading or your spouse's face when they're trying to sleep, instead they come out all at once as you comb/brush/wash.

swan
May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Leisa, --One more question. did you use to put conditoner on your scalp? i was just thinking if the conditioner doesn't touch the scalp why should it make hair fall? i know at least there's someone else on this site who once said cutting conditioner saved her hair from excessive shedding, but i never knew why it should cause shedding if it's only touching hair. as if we didn't have enough hair mysteries here to figure out, i'm just adding another one :)
today i washed with one of AO poos, and didn't use any conditioner at all. the poo is so moisturizing that even my super-curly hair felt detangled just after poo. so i just left a bit of leave-in and coconut oil and fingercombed while damp. (knock on wood) much less shedding....but then again, i had lost so many strands yesterday and the day before that perhaps it gave me a rest! i'm only hoping this will calm down soon. you know there are times that you don't even think of regrowing the thinning spots (crown for me) but pray to be abel to keep what you have!

Nevermore
May 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Does the amount of shed hairs have anything to do with your hair length? I mean if you are at your terminal length do you shed more? I've just noticed that now when my hair is shorter I don't shed much at all.

Are you counting your shed hairs? You may be losing just as many, but it looks like less because of the difference in length.

swan
May 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Leisa, --i hope i'm not being annoying with so many questions. i ruld out herbal washes because of time constraints, but just thought to ask you what you use and how time consuming it is to mix (or to keep it on the hair in the shower etc.). would you mind sharing?

Aljona
May 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Are you counting your shed hairs? You may be losing just as many, but it looks like less because of the difference in length.

No, I don't count. But before I used to lose many strands when washing and bruhing/combing. Now I hardly lose any at all. My haircolor is a bright henna-red so the shed hairs would be quite noticable.

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Leisa, --One more question. did you use to put conditoner on your scalp? i was just thinking if the conditioner doesn't touch the scalp why should it make hair fall? i know at least there's someone else on this site who once said cutting conditioner saved her hair from excessive shedding, but i never knew why it should cause shedding if it's only touching hair. as if we didn't have enough hair mysteries here to figure out, i'm just adding another one :)
today i washed with one of AO poos, and didn't use any conditioner at all. the poo is so moisturizing that even my super-curly hair felt detangled just after poo. so i just left a bit of leave-in and coconut oil and fingercombed while damp. (knock on wood) much less shedding....but then again, i had lost so many strands yesterday and the day before that perhaps it gave me a rest! i'm only hoping this will calm down soon. you know there are times that you don't even think of regrowing the thinning spots (crown for me) but pray to be abel to keep what you have!

No, I never put conditioner on my scalp, just on the length. And why that makes my hair fall out I don't know, but it does.

If after a week of shampoo and leave in your still losing too much, go down to just shampoo. (and an oil). Otherwise you won't know if its the shampoo or the leave in that is contributing to shedding. I'm sure you'll try every combination... don't mean to preach to you:taz: lol

If you can stop the shedding, then you'll keep what you have and it will get thicker over time from new growth.

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Leisa, --i hope i'm not being annoying with so many questions. i ruld out herbal washes because of time constraints, but just thought to ask you what you use and how time consuming it is to mix (or to keep it on the hair in the shower etc.). would you mind sharing?

Yeeess, very annoying...lol I'm kidding. We're in the same boat as I was shedding a lot too so I share your concern.

As for herbal washing, it is a bit finicky. It requires some patience and dedication. I use shikakai or reetha (bought at indian grocery stores or online) and amla (conditioning). You can make a tea or a gravy. I think I like the gravy better because it doesnt run in my eyes and boy does that hurt. DO NOT get it in your eyes. Just take 3-6 heaping tbsps of shikakai and or reetha, and then amla and mix in enough boiling water to make a thick gravy. Then put in on your scalp and length. (Best to pre oil length, overnight or just before).

You can do a conditioning rinse with hibiscus or nettles..(there's others). And you can put some honey in with that. Or aloe vera.

Herbs are lovely to use but its a balancing act with the oil. Too much oil and it doesn't all come out. Too little oil and the herbs can have a drying effect over time. But its worth a try.

I do use shampoo because i'm too lazy to wash with herbs everytime, but I will do an herbal wash once a week.

Time wise, you have to put the dry herb in a bowl. Wait for the water to boil. Add the water. Wait 10 minutes for it to steep. So, yeah, a bit longer than using shampoo.:) And messy, you have to wipe down the bath tub after.

swan
May 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
thanks for all the good info!
so in addition to that 10min --which i don't mind b/c i can just mix it before workout and let it stay longer than 10mins, you don't have to keep it on scalp, ie. you just put it on, say like a poo bar, glide it over, and rinse?
i do use herbal rinss, nettle, rosemary, sage, fenugreek, horsetail ....you name it, but much less these days when i basically live in my office :)

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
thanks for all the good info!
so in addition to that 10min --which i don't mind b/c i can just mix it before workout and let it stay longer than 10mins, you don't have to keep it on scalp, ie. you just put it on, say like a poo bar, glide it over, and rinse?
i do use herbal rinss, nettle, rosemary, sage, fenugreek, horsetail ....you name it, but much less these days when i basically live in my office :)

:)No, you really don't need to leave it on the hair for a prolonged time, unless you are trying to darken. Amla has a darkening effect (I've never noticed a change myself, probably because I don't leave it on).
Yes, pour it on or gob it on with your hands, make sure you get all the hair covered, and then rinse.

swan
May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
OK, you enabler!! you tempted me enough that i'm promising myself right now that when i start having a lighter schedule late June i'll give this a try (you see, from the list of all shedding reduction options, this is the only one i always was curious about but never got around to actually trying it).
before you scream b/c of all these questions :) can i ask for recommendations where to buy Indian herbs online --affordable ones .... i know one Indian store here but once was looking for amla and they had not even heard the name --or that's how they reacted when i asked for it.

Leisa
May 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
OK, you enabler!! you tempted me enough that i'm promising myself right now that when i start having a lighter schedule late June i'll give this a try (you see, from the list of all shedding reduction options, this is the only one i always was curious about but never got around to actually trying it).
before you scream b/c of all these questions :) can i ask for recommendations where to buy Indian herbs online --affordable ones .... i know one Indian store here but once was looking for amla and they had not even heard the name --or that's how they reacted when i asked for it.

You again eh, always with the questions :p
You know what? I don't know where to order them online. I go to an indian grocery and buy them. I bet if you posted the question of where to buy indian herbs online in the "Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare" section someone would know. Mira-Chan is very knowledgable about herbs and so is icydove.

There is also a thread there called 'Indian herb washing'.

You should try it, you never know, you might like it.:) I had the least shedding of all with herbs, except with cassia. I shed a lot after a cassia treatment. Give it a whirl, let me know how it works for you.