PDA

View Full Version : Best Bun-ners Tips

WelshLocks
January 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I am at Midback length(very nearly waist) and I have a ton of layers in my hair. I can do buns but my hair won't stay. I would love the advice from all of you who consider yourself good bun-ners out there.

What is your secret to making a good bun?

What length did you start making your buns at?

Do you use product to make them stay?

What makes a bun more intricate?

Do you add braids to make your buns prettier?

Happy growing!
WelshLocks

Coriander
January 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
What is your secret to making a good bun? I dampen my hair and use a little bit of oil. That usually helps it to stay. :)

What length did you start making your buns at? As soon as I possibly could!

Do you use product to make them stay? I might use some oil or aloe gell but normally just water to dampen my hair.

What makes a bun more intricate? Braids, different twists, rope braiding, etc.

Do you add braids to make your buns prettier? I usually do one braid around a sock bun, or two side braids in a cinnabun. Nothing too fancy.

florenonite
January 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Uh, I don't really have one :o

Somewhere between shoulder and APL, with layers.

Nope.

Lots of things. Accent braids, multiple buns, etc.

Not solely to make the buns prettier, but I sometimes braid back my bangs (which are really about neck length now), or if I want to do a figure-8, because my hair's not long enough, I'll do a figure-8 with most of my hair and braid the rest around it.

Happy growing!
WelshLocks[/quote]

WelshLocks
January 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I should probably add:

Do you have a favorite bun that you wear all the time?

Do you have layers?

Do you use bobby pins,hair sticks,etc to keep the bun in place?What do you like the best?

Natalia
January 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hey sorry i tried to post earlier but my computer was hijacked lol. So heres mine :)

Hi WelshLocks :). Im not a great bunner (they dont look very pretty :( ) but they do stay put the majority of the time.

If its one that starts in a pony gather the hair, smooth the top, then before you start twisting/folding/whatever run a wide tooth comb down the pony (can you tell i have fairly straight hair? lol) to smooth it out.

Aside from that its mainly just practice and learning how your hair behaves. I had to practive the nautilus alot till i learned how tight to make the twist. Same with the infinity.

I have made just simple cinnabuns at many lengths becasue i danced for years. But most of the ones i use now i leanred when i came here and i had mid back length hair (closer to waist than BSL though).

Not usually, but if my hair is being frizzy or tangly i will some some kimberlily's to smooth things out and and add some shine.

Using various braids especially crown braids or lots of tiny rope braids.

Nothing too complicated i do like to do a simple rose bun (rope braid coiled like a bee but bun). I do a regular three strand braided bun when i really need it to stay put.

If im around the house i just to a regular old cinnabun, though with my texture is more of a bee but hybrid :p. If im going out i will either do a neater version of the above or a nautilus. If im having a coopertive hair day i will do an infinity. I really want to master the EveSimone (sorry if i spelled that wrong honey :o ) i love the look but i cant get it to look right on me :(

Do you have layers?
Sort of. I used to but have been growing them out for a while so with two exceptions they are all withing the last 3 inches of my hair so i dont have to many problems except with the KL knot that I LOVE. I cant wait to be able to do that one smoothly.

Do you use bobby pins,hair sticks,etc to keep the bun in place?What do you like the best?
I prefer my pitiful homemade fork (bent knitting needle) for most things but for the infinity and wrap buns i like sticks. I would love to make my own sticks someday. I have dowels galore.... and stain.... and sealer..... and decorations :eyebrows:

Good luck with your bun making :)

chloeishere
January 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM

I don't think I have a secret. The trick, for me, is to practice. Quality hairtoys help.

You also REALLY need to find the right bun for your length and hairtype. When I start getting tired of my current selections (or they stop working as well), I go click on the articles link, and go through the styles to see if anything new will work for me. Almost always, there is something! I only try styles that have videos made; I generally can't figure buns out by the description alone. Hypnotica has some great videos! I think eadwine has a whole page of videos, though I don't remember the link.

Golly gee, I don't know. Short. Probably I'd say at about 18" of hair, measured the LHC way? Right around shoulder, or a little shorter? I was limited to cinnabuns (if I were lucky), and the equilibrium bun by Nightshade was my first regular bunner. It's not quite the same, but I also did a lot of French twists back in the day, because they worked nearly all the time (though I don't like the way they look on me).

Nope. I use a leave-in now (Giovanni direct), but it makes my hair silkier so it actually makes them fall more often. It's not a big deal, though. I have always found that enough practice makes up for a lack of product.

Braids, I guess. Pretty hairtoys. Sticks with toppers. Rhinestones.

All of the above, I'm too lazy to do. I'm rather practical. Though I do have some pretty hairtoys, I don't think I have any sticks with toppers, and I don't do decorative braids.

Heck no. I'm lazy. That adds time. I've done a braided bun a time or two, but only in the comfort of my own home.

I have several favorites that I wear frequently.

Probably right now my most used buns are: the Magic Knot bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI) (I have a video here from when my hair was quite a bit shorter, but it's still the same, just keep wrapping extra length (instead of leaving a little stub, like I used to do and tuck it in when you flip). The Nautilus bun is also great (there are tons of videos on that one, if you search). I also do cinnabuns/ beebutt buns pretty often-- beebutt buns are my favorite for working out, because they hold really well even if I'm doing jumping jacks or the like. (A bee-butt bun is just a stacked cinnabun, placing the coils underneath the first coils, and then you pierce the outermost coil with a stick, and put it through the bun).

I still have trouble doing a lazy wrap bun that will stay for more than 30 minutes, though. :p

I'm very much a "bun on the go" person, so my styles generally involve a single stick or fork, that I can get up in 10 or 15 seconds that will be stable.

Do you have layers?

I probably have an inch of layering on the very ends, and my front hairs near my face naturally do not grow as quickly, so I have a natural "u-shape" to my ends. I started out with a lot of layers, but they have mostly been trimmed off, now.

I use hair sticks and hair forks the most. I do have some good day hairpins, which are nice, but you need to insert multiple, and it's a lot more finicky. I like hair sticks and hair forks, about equally, but I probably wear more hair sticks.

We have about the same hair length (depending on your height), but your hair is thicker. The magic knot might be worth a try, I've been doing that one for a long time now.

I hope that helps!

pepperminttea
January 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Practice. The first time I try a new bun, it's a miracle if it stays in for five minutes. Now I have several buns that will stay solid for nigh on the entire day.

I lived in a French twist until I was nearing BSL, and discovered LHC, and bunning. :)

No, never, unless you count oiling my hair generally.

Braided buns are always a winner on intricacy; and so little effort too. :) There's always accent braids, but I find I'm a bit impatient for them unless it's a 'do for something special.

As above, really. Unless it's a braided bun, no.

Do you have a favourite bun that you wear all the time?
The nautilus is my go-to bun. Braided next, then cinnabun, but I find that pulls a lot more. Split buns are in my 'to practice' list.

Do you have layers?
I do, sort of. I've nearly grown them out - with a two inch trim (probably in summer), the last of them will go, at long last! :)

Do you use bobby pins, hair sticks, etc. to keep the bun in place? What do you like the best?
If I can avoid bobby pins, I do. Hairsticks and particularly hair forks though? I live in them. :D

ShadowSwallow
January 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Practice. A lot of practice.

Right around APL, possibly a little shorter.

Nope. Occasionally I'll use moose if I'm going to a fancy event, but I don't think it helps much.

Little side braids, or a bun like the flower bun where hair is separated into smaller sections and they're dealt with individually.

Nope. I don't have the patience.

Cinnabun. All. The. Time.

Do you have layers?
Yep.

Do you use bobby pins, hair sticks, etc to keep the bun in place? What do you like the best?
I used hair forks almost exclusively, but have started to use hair sticks more often. I still vastly prefer my three-pronged hair fork.

Bekah
January 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM
My secret is that none of my buns last anyway- I just expect to redo them on the fly several times a day. I get pretty good at basic buns really fast since I'm redoing them without mirror or brush.

Once my hair started getting caught behind my shoulders (bsl probably) I started wearing ponytails. Once the end of my pony got caught I shifted into buns. I don't like the sensation of my hair being trapped behind me.

Not usually. Sometimes if I get really intricate I'll add in some leave in or hairspray so that they survive a little bit longer.

I'd say braids but little side braids always seem to just disappear in the middle of my buns or slip behind them. My most intricate "bun" is just pigtail english braids wrapped up into two buns with long tails to brush my shoulders.

Not really apart from my pigtail buns. I don't need to look office-attire perfect most days so a simple messy bun or cinnabun is fine- I've only gotten more complicated as length dictated a change in my bunning and I found LHC.

Messy or cinna 99% of the time it's in a bun. I slack and put it in an over the shoulder braid when it's really bugging me though- I don't spend all my time in buns.

Do you have layers?
Only in the sense that my hair has suffered benign neglect + prenatals over the last 2/1 years of growing it so I've got some wild halo effects from my bra strap up where the vits induced heavier growth and I didn't keep careful watch on my split ends.

Do you use bobby pins, hair sticks, etc to keep the bun in place? What do you like the best?
I started off with plastic chopsticks because that's all I could figure out. I still tend to stick to sticks because I'm good at them but I have a lot more toys and find forks to work surprisingly well for me. Bobby pins are a necessity if I intend on keeping the hair in place for more than an hour. It just slithers out of a bun without them.

florenonite
January 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Yep. I've got a couple, actually. One's the split bun, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) is the other one, though I tend to insert the stick on an angle rather than horizontally.

Do you have layers?

Yep! The shortest are just below APL (22.5") and the longest are just below waist (29.5")

I like sticks best, just a single stick.

WelshLocks
January 8th, 2010, 04:28 PM
chloeishere, I will for sure e trying out that bun! I think what may be hindering my buns the most is the fact that I have layers that are as high as my collar one(and I have midback length hair about 1 in from waist)I may need to grow out my layers before I am any better at buns.

I really like everyone's opinions on the best buns. I think it's interesting that most people who have answered don't have layers and don't use product.

Natalia, can you use knitting needles as hair sticks?Those are so much cheaper than buying hair sticks. haha

Natalia
January 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Natalia, can you use knitting needles as hair sticks?Those are so much cheaper than buying hair sticks. haha

I have in the past. I would suggest metal or wood maybe size 6ish? Just found the unbroken "other" of the plastic ones i broke along time ago lol. So yeha i dont suggest plastic :p. Yes sticks can be expensive. Thanks to a few of the lovely people here im embarking on making my own in the next week or so. If your pretty handly and have the tools maybe give it a shot? Hope youve been having more luck with your buns :D!

Cherry_Sprinkle
January 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I don't really think there is a secret.. except if I am looking for a smooth bun, I usually will wash my hair and smooth it into a loose cinnamon bun to dry (takes a long time to dry this way) and it creates a more or less smooth, straight hair style and I then oil and bun.

Probably around APL.. about the time I could make a ponytail and then still have enough hair to loop around once or twice.

No.. I never use hair spray or anything like that.. if I have fly aways I will tame them with a little aloe but I don't do it to set the bun.. generally my hair cooperates with that on its own.

Braids, twists, curls, and things of this sort.

Sometimes.. but not usually if I am staying home and no one will see it but me and my husband.. if I plan to wear them out I will usually do a chinese braided bun or a rope braid bun.

My most often worn bun is the standard cinnamon bun.. I will also do a hypno bun or lazy bun sometimes just for something different.. these are usually my at home buns.

Do you have layers?
Yes.

I use hair sticks and forks the most.. sometimes ficcares but seldom pins and never bobby pins.. the metal on the bobby pins cause damage to my hair and I haven't gotten around to purchasing amish pins to try yet :) I prefer my 60th street 4-prong fork the most for hold and comfort but I do love all of my hairsticks and forks so I try to use them all in rotations.

time_on_fire
January 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Practice, watch youtube videos, finding a bun that works for you.

BSL, but only because I found LHC and decided I wanted to keep my hair up to protect it.

No

Multi-buns! Braids.

not usually, just for time sake.

I like the pencil bun that florenonite posted the video for, I like lazy wrap bun, and then of course, the cinnabun.

Do you have layers?
Yes

Hairsticks or a two-pronged hair fork. I like them equally.