PDA

View Full Version : SMT help

shockinglength
January 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM
How long can you leave a SMT in your hair? Is it safe to leave it on for more than 12 hours? Is the longer the better? Does it work best on damp or dry hair?

verene
January 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I think it varies from person to person has to how long it is best to leave on hair. I usually don't leave it for more than an hour or two myself, but that is more a matter of patience with me. I just can't stand having it on my head any longer. I also apply to dry hair because I use it as an occasional pre-wash treatment.

The only concern I'd have leaving an SMT on your hair for an extended period of time is how easily it would wash out at the end, if the mixture dries in your hair it can take some time to then work out in the shower. But if you don't mind the rinsing, or have a way to keep it from drying out (applying to wet hair, and using a shower cap over the top maybe?) I don't think it would be harmful to leave in for long periods of time.

florenonite
January 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I don't see why it would hurt to leave it on longer. Just make sure you cover it in cling film so it doesn't dry out.

The advantage to doing it on damp to dry hair is that there's less likely to be drips; however on dry hair you need more. Hence damp hair's probably best.

Cloverleaf
January 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I do it twice a week - just mix it up (and I always warm it), then put all my hair on top and saturate the last 6 - 8 inches with the SMT, put hair in a loose bun with a scrunchie, cover the bun with a sandwich bag and secure it with another smaller scrunchie. Go to bed and forget about it until morning and proceed to wash as usual!

I've done this for over a year, and my hair is in great shape - no problems of having it on for a long period of time. And I put it on dry hair.

redneckprincess
January 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM
i put mine on dry hair and leave it on for up to 10 hours,usually like 3-4 sometimes longer... I dont see any harm (or help) leaving it on longer.
I usually do SMt once a week but I just put some MP in my hair and dont want it to bleed through so Im skipping this week...and we'll see about next

Carolyn
January 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I've left it on 5-6 hours. I don't see any reason why it would hurt to leave it on longer. I'm not concerned about honey lightening. But that's a whole other topic and there a lots of posts about it. I would say that there might not be a great deal of benefits on leaving it on your hair for hours and hours but it wouldn't be harmful. I usually start with dry hair as I want the stuff to really soak in.