PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Hair

whiteisle
January 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Is your hair cheap? :D

Given our economical situation right now there are areas that require slimming down. Is your hair care/routine one of them? Do you have fabulous and cheap hair???

If so, what's your method and/or product(s) that keeps your hair wonderful and your wallet happy?

pepperminttea
January 7th, 2010, 04:37 PM
My shampoo and conditioner, admittedly, aren't cheap. But otherwise, things aren't bad. 6-9 months worth of coconut oil costs me only a few quid (depending where I get it), ACV is generally £1-something for a bottle that lasts me goodness knows how long, and I trim my own hair so that's free.

Now if only I could stop buying pretty hair toys...

Longlocks3
January 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
It was, when I first switched to CO only. I would use a bottle of conditioner every couple of days, but the stuff I loved was only $1.00 a bottle(cheaper if I found on sale and stocked up).

Then I discovered my favorite hair toys and that I like poo bars more($$$). It has gotten more expensive in that way but before LHC I would buy Pantene, which isn't that cheap either.

I may put off hair toy purchases at times but other than that I haven't cut back.

eternallyverdan
January 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Absolutely! I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner. I have my Body Shop comb, which should last for several years, one hair fork ($22 on the swap board) and a bunch of chopsticks that I've sanded down. I've tried fancy products over the years, but what I have seems to be working for me now without breaking the bank.

Though I do want a Ficcare. :D

julliams
January 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
My shampoo is $20 a bottle but to counteract that my conditioner is $2.50 for a litre. My SMT's and coconut wash's probably cost a couple of dollars per week and I use Giovanni Leave in and Coconut oil both of which last and last. So all up my routine probably costs me around $3- $4 a week I think. Not too bad I guess - "cup of coffee" as I always say since I don't drink coffee so I save on that side.

Gemma
January 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Interesting question!

Yup, my hair is 'cheap'. :) I use a generic shampoo and Dove conditioner, as well as coconut oil (which I buy in a huge jar that seems to last forever) and a generic leave-in. The most expensive product I buy for my hair is henna. I would guess that I spend less than $5 a month on my hair.

Now, hair toys on the other hand. . . .

teela1978
January 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
If I don't count splurging on fancy hair sticks/forks, my hair is quite inexpensive. I use 1-2 bottles of cheap shampoo in a year (currently kirkland, split a 2-pack with my mom... about $4 for my half). And a bottle of thick conditioner every couple of months (currently its garnier sleek and shine... $4 a bottle not on sale). Maybe a tub of coconut oil a year... some aloe gel and honey... Maybe $40 a year? Less if I catch conditioner on sale (which is usually how I choose which conditioner to use).

Islandgrrl
January 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I think my haircare is quite cheap.

1 jar of coconut oil: $21.00. Lasts me at least a year, and that's with using it on my skin, too.
1 bottle of ShiKai Shampoo: $4.70. Current bottle has lasted me a year and there's still a little left.
1 bottle of ShiKai Everyday Conditioner: $2.81 per bottle if I buy a case. 1 Bottle lasts me about 2 months.
Shea Butter Blend: $8.00. Will easily last a year.

Total for the year: $50.56.
Cost per month: $4.21.

Cheap.

florenonite
January 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I prefer the term "inexpensive" :lol:

I don't spend that much money on my hair, because I just use shampoo bars (which double as soap for shaving) and coconut oil (which I also use as a moisturiser). Although the bars are expensive, they do last a while, so it's not too bad.

Akiko
January 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
If I stop looking at Hair Accessories forum and restrain myself from purchasing more toys, then, yes it is cheap. Just VO5 shampoo/conditioner and coconut oil. They are quite inexpensive. But... I just saw hair twister... Ack. That's pretty. I am not going to buy. I am not going to buy...:meditate:

SparklePi
January 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I say there is nothing more inexpensive and time-saving than long hair!
My hair is FAST (I can do my swirl n stick in about 10 seconds or less) which really makes the stupid comments about how can I have such long hair with little kids totally senseless...frankly how could i NOT!?!
and my hair is absolutely CHEAP.
No salon visits. I don't color or cut or perm or anything else, either at a salon or at home. I trim myself once in a while.
I use inexpensive products (store brands shamp. & conditioner, in the ratio of 1:2.5), only wash & condition about once a week (see above: small children = no time), and don't do anything else special.
I have lots of hair accessories, but only a few long hair toys, and all of them were purchased in the more prosperous past. If i was buying now, all I'd get would be one Ficcarre and maybe one Flexi-8 and some chopsticks. Also good hair pins (all kinds/sizes).
I have boucoups of other stuff from a lifetime...pony holders, barrettes, headbands. Most of the accessories have been cleaned out and the collection thinned greatly! I am a grown woman with children, i really don't think I'll ever wear green scrunchies with pig figurines stuck on them EVER AGAIN, ferinstance! :D Passsed on a lot to my friends with little girls.
Yes! Long hair is cheap. (and fast!):)

Monkey962
January 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Long hair is cheap, isn't it?

No need to maintain a specific style. Certainly don't need styling products, or hair dryers/curlers, though some of us longhairs still do use them (not that that's anything bad).

The only thing long hair really needs is a brush or comb (or maybe even just your fingers), occasional washing, and gentle care.

Fiferstone
January 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Even though I'm a LUSHie when it comes to hair care products and the initial outlay is pricey, I'm getting mad value-for-money in terms of how long the products themselves last for me. I find I can get at least 2 months out of each shampoo bar "hockey puck" and Trichomania is lasting about the same length of time for me (I wash about twice a week now, and one of those washes is a scalp wash these days). Likewise, I can get 6 months or so out of a block of Jungle conditioner using my melt and mix with warm water method. Since I've been applying the condish to dry hair before washing it, I'm using even less of it :).

I use Feye's self-trim, I don't have bangs, and I do my own henna, so there's theoreticallly no reason for me to ever set foot in a conventional salon. I once went 12 years solid without setting foot in a salon, and that was when I had bangs (I had somehow managed to figure out how to trim those myself without it looking utterly hideous, but perhaps I was fooling myself).

Long hair is definitely cheap hair for me.

TiaKitty
January 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, my hair is cheap. I feel guilty when I buy a pack of clipy-clips. Suave and sometimes some other conditioner, just for kicks!

Druid of Alba
January 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, I'm extremely cheap...
I use Shampoo Bars that are $1.75 and last me at least a month... That's all. My hair is short right now ( :( ), so I don't use any oils... Just shampoo bars! I have a straightening iron, but that's a one time purchase...

RocketDog
January 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
My hair maintenance is cheap, my hair toys are not!

My shampoo and conditioner are $4 for a 32oz bottle, and that amount of shampoo lasts me 6 months, the condtioner about 3 months. The honey, jojoba and coconut oils I use all cost around $6 per bottle, and I have been using the same bottles for 9months. I have a $5 plastic brush, $1 wide-toothed comb, and a $15 pair of hair shears. I spent $50 for enough henna to last me a year.

My two Ficcares cost $98, and I've got another on the way that was $35. I have spent about $50 on assorted other hair doodads like sticks, forks, clips and ponytail holders.

ETA - even with my spendy clip purchases, I have saved a ton of money since I officially started growing out my hair. I no longer spend $150 every 6-8 weeks for a trim and dye job, I don't have to buy shine spray and mousse and gel and hairspray and heat protectant and color protecting shampoo and clarifying shampoo and... you get the picture ;)

Tinose
January 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Let's see:

Shampoo: CV $7/bar, lasts six months or so? I use about once a week. Less, recently. Say $14/year
Conditioner: I CO about once a week in between my CV bar and I use it to SMT. $1/bottle, lasts about two months. $6/year
Apple cider vinegar: Giant bottle for $15, will probably last until I die at this rate. I use it once a week with my CV. Let's just put it at $15/year
Coconut oil: $7.??/bottle, had for months and barely scratched the surface. (Even though I've also used it for cooking plus general moisture purposes. I just don't use a lot of oil.) Let's just say $7/year until I see how long it lasts.
Honey: $12/giant bottle, used for SMTs and occasionally with my vinegar rinse when I remember to. Plus to clean my face occasionally and as a general useful beauty product. It'll again, probably last a year or so.
Aloe Vera gel: Used for SMT and as hair gel, $7. Lasts about six months, so $14/year.

Edit: Oh right I forgot my comb, since I switched to combs when I got here. Mine's $5 per comb,
and I do lose them and brushes constantly, so I'd add another $10 a year for lost combs.

Total: Roughly $78 per year

So yeah, you can really go cheap by stretching out washes and mostly using really generic and multipurpose items. Granted, hair toys are a different matter, but as much as I like them, once you have the basics they're strictly fun money items.

Laurenji
January 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Definitely. Since it's longer, I can cut it myself. I don't have to buy a ton of mousse to make it look good, I don't have to blowdry it and waste time/energy, and my shampoo/conditioner costs $0.88 a bottle if I go to the dollar store...

The only thing that makes it more expensive is that I use more water to wash it now, but that's a very minimal increase at best.

treesandcoffee
January 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Absolutely, especially since going CG.

My jar of coconut has lasted for over a year and I am about a third through. Let's say it will last 3 years, since I plan on DT-ing more.

Co wash, Suave family size lasts 2 months.

Leave in, Garnier's Triple Nutrition lasts 2 months.

1 small bottle of lemon juice lasts a month or more.

This is about $40 per year. There is occasional ACV rinses and honey DT, but I also use those for other things, and rather sparingly for my hair. Definitely under $50 a year.

Fractalsofhair
January 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I think it's cheap, though we'll see again when my hair gets long. I only go to a salon two times a year, and it's cheaper to get a trim since you don't need to get a style or a wash even if your hair is clean, rather as if it's short, a style is pretty much expected, and stylish cuts grow out fast on my hair, requiring it to be cut often. (I have fast growing hair). I do think hair toys could get pricey though!

The routine my hair seems most happy with is washing with shampoo bars and a vinager rinse, which the shampoo bars are $5 and last me quite a while, vinager is cheap as well, and using a lot of my Alaffia conditioner, which is very rich and pricey, but good stuff. Oils do cost a bit as well at first, but they last a really long time. Brushes are needed more when my hair is short, and a comb can last quite a while as well. Since I won't be blowdrying it, I also won't have to spend money on blowdriers or other products, which a lot of people with shorter hair spend a lot of money on. I do think the total cost will increase, due to using more conditioner and oil, but not by much.

MandyBeth
January 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Ok, simply because I've kept short hair for 6 years - here's the cost of keeping short hair...

$45 every 5 weeks to keep it trimmed and neat.

I don't know how much gel, mousse, creame, paste, wax and other products I've bought in the 6 years it took to get me to try henna, which convinced me my hair can grow and not always break, which leads me here. I seriously probably spent close to $600 a year on goo to make my hair attempt to behave - of which, basically none of them worked.

Plus, it only kept my hair in rough condition, which means I HAVE to go back and cut more off, and then I have to fuss around and style it instead of just letting it airdry....

That basically hits $1,000 a YEAR to keep my hair short, never mind the time it took. AND ignoring washing my hair.

My hair in a pixie or short cut - and still now - I have to wash it daily. I can't use SLS daily, so I'm mostly using the $15-$20 shampoos, and I'm buying them once a month. Sure, I can use cheaper conditioners, but my hair would slurp up conditioner at disgustingly fast rates and I probably spent another $20 a month to keep SHORT hair. On CWC, I've found cheaper conditioner to use to let my hair slurp up all it wants, I use 1/5 the shampoo, and now I'm using less of my silly cone addicting conditioner. Well, just for short hair - that's another $500 a year.

Not adding in all the dodads and fiddly things I tried to use to keep my hair back, which either break my hair or my hair breaks them. Probably another $500 a year, easily.

Seriously - and why did I never do this before - that's around $2,000 a year to keep short hair in a marginally good, mostly rough condition. That buys an awful lot of expensive hair sticks, clips and other stuff - which may only be for "fun", but I sure justified spending it before, I should be allowed to buy stuff my hair would LIKE to have.

renarok
January 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I did some rough estimates on how much I have spent on my hair in the past year and including my hair color appointments, hair toys, and hair oils. I have spent roughly $50.00 a month on my hair. But, if I chose to stop with my highlights and toy splurges, I guess that figure would drop to about $8.00 a month. Most of that is for my Nioxin.

I really don't have any other vices. So I don't feel guilty (much.):rolleyes:

ItalianFlower
January 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm cheap! I buy tresemme for my conditioner, which is like what? $8.00 for that huge bottle? And it lasts me like three or four months...and Head and Shoulders which costs about the same for a smaller bottle that lasts the same amount of time. Then every now and again I get new scrunchies or or gel or whatever and that costs like $3.00 a pop but yeah, I have really cheap hair.

GlassEyes
January 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
For the hair I want?

Nope. Not cheap. Not in the slightest sense of the word. :( Maybe if I wore it up more and spread my product usage out a bit, it would be, but it isn't.

It WOULD be, if my hair weren't so damn protein sensitive with gels and such. I could get by with Lustrasilk ($5 incl. shipping for a 20 oz container), Suave (about $1.49 per shampoo/conditioner), and a bottle of gel, which would be about $5, and lasts me about a year per container.

Figuring that Lustrasilk lasts me about 3-4 months, maybe, Suave I go through monthly (conditioner), and the shampoo lasts me almostt a year (if I use it as body wash :eyeroll:), and the gel, that'd be about...an estimated $45-60 a year, about $5 a month.

But NOOOOO. My hair HATES gel. So i have to buy either a) expensive gel with the kind of protein my hair can handle that's in the tiniest tube ever b) buy protein-free alternatives (expensive) or c) Suffer.

:justy: Actually, I may be trying to cut down. There's a gel at Sally's that doesn't contain protein, and I want to give it a shot. :p

Edit: Also, I don't really buy hairtoys anymore. The urge is there, but the funds aren't, and after a while, it's kind of waned. xD

GoddesJourney
January 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
My hair is very cheap. I use Trader Joe's shampoo and conditioner. I already bought my horn comb so I don't need another one. Now that my hair is in better condition, I don't really oil it. I made silk hair scrunchies from some silk laying around and some really cheap elastic from the craft store.

I would say that shampoo and conditioner last me about a month between my husband and myself. I do buy the occassional doodad for my hair, which always turns out to be a mistake because I never use it. I self-trim and don't color or style with any products. Let's just say $30 of extra stuff to be safe (scissors, hair pins I'll never use, elastic, a comb, whatever). Round up to $8/month on shampoo and conditioner.

Anyway, $126/year maybe? And to be fair, I'd say a good $40 of that belongs to my husband because he uses the same bottles. Anyway, $86/year is good. What we spend between the two of us per year is what women around here spend for a single salon visit which is monthly?...And insane! Plus salon hair care products and other things. Ridiculous. That would be embarassingly probably more than half a paycheck for me. How would I eat? Ack!

Addy
January 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Oh yes, my hair is cheaper than a..... Alright, I won't go there but it's cheap and easy! :eyebrows: :D

Suave Clarifier... If I were the only one using it, a bottle would last me almost a year or so and the Suave Conditioner, I can pound one of those in a week or so right now since I'm back on the short side.

Calculate a teenage daughter in the mix and a son who's growing his hair long and I need to replenish more often. But yeah, it's still cheap! :D

jaine
January 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I think budgetary diligence on small stuff is overrated. I'd rather save money on the big stuff (small apartment, modest car, waiting to get that new laptop) - that's the kind of stuff that can sway my budget by thousands of dollars per year. I don't think twice if I want the $17 conditioner instead of the $2 conditioner. The difference per year is so small and it makes me happy.

Katurday
January 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
3 dollar (CAN) Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner...
10 dollar tub of Virgin Coconut Oil.
4 dollar EVOO.
2 dollar eggs.

The only thing I splurge on is my SLS free shampoo, 6 dollars.

Rivanariko
January 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Yes, quite cheap.

The shampoo and conditioner that my hair seems most happy with (after various trials and errors) are Aussie products, which are one of the cheapest on the shelf. Now that I've cut CWC down to once a week, and am only washing my scalp, It takes me FOREVER to go through a bottle of shampoo. I'm still on the same bottle I had when I joined LHC in June, actually. I also CO once a week usually, but I'm still going through SO much less shampoo and conditioner than I was pre-LHC. My aloe vera gel was a cheap Rite-aid brand, and works wonderfully. Again, I bought the bottle in July, and haven't used even a quarter of it. I have managed a fair amount of self-restraint when it comes to hair toys, and I self-trim, so, all things considered, I think my hair is VERY cheap!

TheEndlessOcean
January 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Let's see, 20 oz of gel - $2. Lasts probably 5-6 months (haven't used one up yet). Big bottle of jojoba oil - $8. Lasts at least a year. Trims once or twice a year - let's say $40 (although I did get one from my mom recently, but I don't know if I can trust her any more than salon people to take the right amount off :p. Not that she doesn't care about what I asks her to do, she just ends up taking a lot off to get everything even). Other than that, I suppose I go through a fair number of hairties, maybe $10 a year?

So with my current routine, I'm spending probably around $60 a year total on my hair. WO rules :D

Naamah
January 8th, 2010, 12:24 AM
My hair is pretty cheap...
Suave Naturals conditioner for CO, Garnier Triple Nutrition for a leave in, oil occasionally, self-trims...doesn't cost much. :)

RancheroTheBee
January 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I buy a bottle of conditioner at least every two weeks. AT LEAST. Then I buy a lot of stupid products for my hair, too. And toys. I spend a poopload of money on my hair. I can't help it.

catysue
January 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM
For me, no, right now my hair is probably what I spend most of my disposable income on. But this, I think, is because I'm a new longhair and still tying to establish a good routine. I'm buying all sorts of products and things to try and find what works for me. Once I find a routine for me, I'm sure it will be less expensive

Bluebell
January 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
:D Cheap!:D
I cut my own hair.
I make my own shampoobars (only oliveoil, water and sodium hydroxide) and one single bar lasts a looong time...
soft free rainwater and just a drop of ACV for rinsing.
I made my own hairsticks.
I use jojobaoil but that lasts a long time too.

ShadowSwallow
January 8th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Not particularly. My shampoo and conditioner are relatively expensive (I can't use ones with synthetic fragrances) and I spend quite a bit of money on hairtoys. The fact that I no longer spend $7 on a haircut every 6 weeks to 3 months doesn't quite make up for it. :p

marzipanthecat
January 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Yes, my hair is cheap! (I shall not make any tacky jokes about it being just like the rest of me...)

All I use is whatever shampoo and conditioner happen to be around. I don't buy expensive ones. I seem to spend a LOT less on my hair than all of my friends, but then, I don't colour or perm or straighten my hair.

I was chatting to a friend about how much our hair costs to look after - I worked out I was about £2 a week, she spends about £30, once you include cutting and treatments. Also, I'm just too plain lazy to do that!

Finoriel
January 8th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Let΄s see ...
I wash with eggs and have own chickens.
I swap eggs for honey.
I swap eggs for milk and make my own yogurt which is used as deep-treatment.
I trim my own hair.
Guess my hair is as cheap as I can get it :wink:

rapunzhell13
January 8th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I'd say my hair is pretty cheap to look after. At the moment I'm using a shampoo bottle every 2 months and a conditioner bottle every month. I can get a bottle of each for $5 (give or take), so let's say $7.50 a month. That's $90 a year, which I'm happy with. I do my own trimming or get someone I know to do it for me, so no money spent there. I haven't bought many toys and probably never will. Basically my only costs are S&C. I want to try and squeeze another day between washes and use cheaper products, but so far the cost is pretty low anyway. :shrug:

Gothic Lolita
January 8th, 2010, 03:54 AM
My hair is pretty cheap. I only need to wash every second day and the stuff I use on it is quite cheap and I also dilute it. Because I don't have access to many of the wonderful hairtoysites I don't spen too much money here.

Athena's Owl
January 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
i don't think my hair is expensive.

i *did* just buy a new comb that cost me... about 20 dollars, including shipping. i also bought a pair of hair trimming scissors this year, and spent about the same. Also a bone hair fork for 22 dollars this year. let's see, what else?

I approximate about 40 dollars this year on conditioners, and a further ten, experimenting with various shampoo products. ten dollars on a jar of shea butter....

so 2009 i spent about $110 on my hair, so nearly ten dollars a month.

Diamondbell
January 8th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I think my hair care is cheap too.
1) shikakai powder with water (doesn't cost much)
2) shampoo bar (the bar itself is costly but I will be using it for 70 or 80 hair washes) :D
3) water only
4) henna
5) coconut oil
;)

sumptuousness
January 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM
All in all, between oils, avg, acv, shampoo, conditioners, shea butter which i ended up using on my lips more than hair, laughing bird hair food which i ended up using as a body moisturiser, henna, cassia - which was a present, so that's cheating really :p - and clips and other bits and peices, my expenditure on my hair over the past year averages out at about £8 a month, including things that won't be repeated and recent expensive items (neem oil, essential oils, etc) which will last hopefully for ages.

Oh, and I forgot! £28 for one trim in an 18 month period. Rather economical overall :D.

Hiriel
January 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
My hair would be very cheap if I just stopped buying hair toys ;)
ETA: I use shampoo and conditioner on occasion (mostly WO), they cost 2-3 dollars for bottles that last me at least half a year. I use jojoba oil, shea butter and aloe vera gel as well, and while those are more expensive they also last for a very long time.

Pumpkin
January 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Yes, I do have cheap hair!! :) I sat down the other day and added up what I use to spend in a year's time when I had my hair in a pixie, salon color, and salon shampoo and conditioner. Whew! It was over 1200 dollars a year.

Since I decided to grow my hair, starting in December 2008, I use Vo5 shampoo and conditioner. I can sometimes find this on sale for 79 cents per bottle. So, I stock up. Then just a few days ago I used the Feye's self trimming method. Worked like a dream, so I no longer will pay for a hairdresser. I even color my own hair, since December 2008, for less than 5 dollars each time.

My hair is in better condition now since going cheap and growing out my hair, and I have more money in the bank! :joy:

Chamomile betty
January 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Great thread.

I use Suave as my CW, Loreal/Garnier for my conditioners, Infusium23 as an emergency detangler and all I can get at Walmart for a good price. Lustrasilk is my leave in and I found it at Dollar General for around $3. Olive oil I found for around $4 at the grocery store and I use it on my hair and on my body.

Now my Sally's products I paid a bit more for but they have lasted for a while - Sally Generic Value - and are really for deep treatments.

A barber trims my hair - bangs $1 for a dusting $3.

All in all I don't think my hair is breaking my budget.

nowxisxforever
January 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
My routine is super cheap. Right now I have a bottle of vanilla Suave shampoo that cost me maybe a dollar. I use it sparingly, 1-3 times a week. I don't generally use conditioner, as most conditioners don't do much for my hair (and coney conditioners make updos impossible). Instead, I use oil- which I purchase maybe once a year, if that. A bottle of jojoba oil and a tub of coconut oil will - together! - last me at least a year, easily, if not 2.

Edit: I trim my own hair, and don't generally buy a lot of hair toys.

Anje
January 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
My hair's cheap. I'm generally happiest just CO washing my hair with Suave Naturals. I use perhaps 1/10th of a family size bottle per wash. (Might be less, I don't really keep track. 2-3 palmfuls.) So a bottle lasts more than a month. I oil my hair with a few drops of sesame3 oil. That was maybe $5 or $6 for the bottle, and that'll last until it goes rancid or the bottle breaks or something.

That's about it. Occasionally SMT (but I have aloe and honey around anyway), occasionally use the Conditioning Balm knock-off I got from Aldi for something like $3 for 16oz. If I didn't occasionally splurge on hairtoys or decide to buy new things to experiment with, haircare would cost perhaps $2/month.

Belisarius
January 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
No, my hair routine is more expensive than it used to be. I need €4 bottles of conditioner and use about one every week. The shampoo is not the problem, i have used about half of two bottles. I used to get a €14 haircut every three months. So 13 * 4 = €52 minus €14 makes €38 more per three months. Well, i do use shampoo somewhat less, Then I also have to take into account the olive oil I use and the elastic bands, which i always seem to lose.

The smt's with the honey and the pure aloe vera gel i use also adds to that. Ow and the henna.

If i have to guess that adds about €10 per three months. so that makes €50 per three months more.

EdG
January 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
My hair care routine is cheap.

It used to cost more, but that was because I was washing too often. :o

Now, I wash once or twice a week. The only costs are a small amount of shampoo and electricity to run the heater in the winter. :)
Ed

Merewen
January 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Honestly, I've never spent a lot on my hair. I'm not sure how the amount I'm spending has changed exactly. I have more expensive condish than before, but I'm using it less often. I've bought a few oils and some mousse which I wouldn't have bought before. I'm self-trimming, but I only ever spent around 30-45 dollars on trims in a year anyway.

Actually, with stuff I've tried that didn't work out, I think I spent more on my hair than usual this year, but now that I've got a routine down, it's gonna be back to being pretty cheap.

melrose1985
January 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
i use loreal's SLS free shampoo, that's about 6.00, which lasts me a good couple of months. Maybe 5 at least.

my conditioner is sauve so that's 1.48 if i get the bigger bottle, which lasts maybe two months, maybe longer now that i dont use as much.

Henna is under two bucks for 100G that i get local. Cassia was 3.00 for 1 pound. I only will do the roots and a 100G of the mix should do shoulder length hair and i'm doing the roots so that will last a GOOD long time.

OH and my hair is APL. But i dont expect this to change much while growing because i only shampoo the roots.

Anlbe
January 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
My shampoo and conditioner aren't cheap but my backup options are. After my overpriced first choices the next best shampoo and conditioner for me are boots own brand camomile shampoo and coconut and almond oil conditioner £1.29 each and I only buy them when they're on by one get one free. Actually they've just brought out a honey and jojoba shampoo and conditioner which I'm going to try as soon as the buy one get one free offer comes back!
Other than that it's just a small bottle of jojoba oil a year.

slz
January 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Pretty cheap, let me count :
shampoo : left over soap nuts (didn't like it for laundry) but I've orderer some shikakai and amla powder : 2.35 € / 100 g each, will probably last several months, lets say 2 (??? no idea really)
conditioner : I use some cheap one leftover for now (no idea how much it costed), will switch to coconut milk = 1 € a week
coconut oil : bought a £8 = 9 € jar this summer, halfway through (I use it for hair and skin)
aloe vera gel : one tube lasts 5 months, costs 10 €, but I use it mostly on my skin
recently bought a pack of terry cloth elastics for 2.50 €, will last something like 1 year
a pack of hair pins lasts about 2 years (that's the time to lose all of the pins :/ ) for 2.50 €
hair sticks are chopsticks, and I have been using the same comb since I was a teenager :D

So all in all this makes almost 9 € a month.

However, I have to add the hair dye : used to be 10 € a month, but I am in the process to switching to henndigo : I have no idea how much it will cost me - less or more ? We'll see.

peachrose
January 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
My products are relatively inexpensive but I spend more than I should on hair toys. Where I really save is by trimming myself. The only time I've spent money at a salon in the past 3 years was for our wedding!

Clarisse
January 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I use relatively cheap and plain coop änglamark shampoo. Shampoo just has to clean my dirty roots - splurging on shampoo would be a bit stupid, as no shampoo has given me "super pearl shine" or "extreme softness" or anything. I dont use conditioner. Sometimes I use fabric softener (which is cheap compared to conditioner), because it works for my hair, but most often I don't use anything.
I trim my hair myself, which probably saves me lots of money. My class mates go to the hair dressers very often, and it's expensive! I probably should invest in a good pair of trimming scissors, even though the sharp kitchen scissors has worked fine for me until now *insert blushing smiley*
I just bought a beetnik505 hair stick from etsy - and it's so pretty! I'm definitely going to buy more beetnik sticks later on. Apart from that, I have a big, brown plastic barrette (a gift, but a rather cheap one) and a silver barrette (that used to be my mom's).
I've cassiaed my hair, and am planning to do that again soon, but with a little added rhubarb root. Cassia is expensive...

When I compare my hair to other "normal" non-LHC-people's hair, it's cheaper and (usually) better looking.

Bonkers57
January 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My routine is cost-effective :D One ounce of Dr. Bronners lasts me for a month at least (since I mix it with eight ounces of water in a squirt bottle) since my hair's still short. One tablespoon of white vinegar in eight ounces of water is very inexpensive. My bottles of shampoo (both VO5) are a dollar apiece. The White Rain condish was a dollar a bottle. My hair's not long enough for toys yet, so I'm not spending anything on that.

verene
January 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
My hair is relatively cheap. I use v05 or sauve as my go-to shampoo & conditioner. Whichever is on sale. Occasionally I'll splurge and spend $7.00 for buy-one-get-one-free Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Treat, but that'll last me months if I do. As most of my hair styles can be accomplished with hair bands, and pins, I don't spent much on toys either. Just one fork from the street fair a couple years ago, and two jeweled combs I bought as my wedding jewelery.

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
um well my hair uses diluted shampoo.. maybe 1 part shampoo to 4 parts water (always a clarifying shampoo from the 1$ rack).. but the part of my hair that wasnt cheap is the conditioner.. i use suave professionals conditioner.. its like 3-4$ a bottle.. which is very expensive in my eyes.. and i use another rather expensive thing.. vo5 detangler.. thats maybe 5$ but it lasts for a while..

the most expensive thing is hairtoys.. but i handled that one by making my own.. ive got a ton of self made hair sticks.. i used to make forks but i cant stand using forks so i dont make them anymore..

then there is the horn combs and other hair devices.. i was lucky enough to find horn combs at the local asian gift shop marked down 90% off because the store was closing.. and i also managed to find wood bristled brushes for 2$..

so by my standards my hair is very expensive but some people think that its cheap.. it all depends on how cheap your idea of cheap is.. ive never used salon brands (except when biglots bought out a drug store and had the merchandise 90% off).. ive always used the cheapest stuff that suited my needs.. i know people who dont need cones who can pay 1$ for conditioner and dont need coney detangler..

oh and i trim my own hair..

Kris Dove
January 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
If I'm watching the budget I buy Original Source haircare from Poundland instead of my usual pricey Lush stuff. And I make hair ties for my braids from cut up tights so that's cheap too. :) ETA- and I trim my own hair using Feye's self trim too!

kwaniesiam
January 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Baking soda: $1 for two big boxes
Tap water: free
ACV: $12 for a gallon of the organic stuff

CV shampoo bars $6-7 a bar, one bar lasts me several months.

Most accessories I use I've either knitted or sewn myself. I have a few hairsticks that I can't quite use yet.

My hair is very cheap, and requires practically no maintenance :)

enfys
January 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I try and buy things when they are on offer so I can't compare the prices without digging out all my reciepts.

Phew, got out of that!

I know it's a lot less than most people spend. By not going to a salon I'm saving about £40 a month straight off!

BranwenWolf
January 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I use Suave shampoo, store brands of other stuff, olive oil and coconut oil. Out of those the $11 coconut oil is the most expensive.
Compared to my food and to...God forbid, the tuition I just paid, my hair is inexpensive.
I spend a lot more on makeup.

ETA: Well, I forgot hair toys but that's another matter. The elk antler for two pairs of hairsticks was free; the Blue Heron ones are expensive but I love them. I spend more on art supplies and such.

turtlelover
January 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I use White Rain conditioner to CO wash, VO5 Clarifying shampoo on a very rare occasion, and an occasional dose of Ion deep conditioner for deep conditioning on occasion. That is it at the moment. I've stopped straightening, and am cone free. I've cut my own hair the majority of the time for years to save money, yet always get compliments on it constantly. So, my hair is DEFINITELY very cheap to care for! Now when it gets longer, I'll probably need a lot more conditioner, etc........

luluj
January 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Since I gave up the bottle (hair dye) and started to grow out my "down to the wood chop" my hair care regime is "almost free!" I buy rather pricey shampoo and conditioner (OJON) but it lasts "forever" because I only wash twice a week and condition lightly. I also clarify occasionally with white vinegar diluted in warm water (very inexpensive) and I never comb or brush my natural wavy/wurly hair. I just use my fingers to place the waves and then air dry, so no expensive combs or brushes needed. I have only had one trim since December 2008 so there again, no pricey salon visits. When I used to color, cut and highlight it was nothing to pay well over $100 a pop!! Never, ever again, I have come to my senses, LESS IS MORE ( AND HEALTHIER)

shadowclaw
January 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
My hair isn't really cheap, but it's not too expensive. For a while I was experimenting with conelss and SLS-free shampoos and conditioners that cost a pretty penny. Nature's Gate was costing me $6.99 for 12 oz bottles of their organics line, and $5.49 for 18 oz of their regular line. Kiss My Face was $5.99 for 12 oz I think.

Then I decided to try cheaper cone-free conditioners, like V05 ($0.89 for 15 oz) and Garnier Triple Nutrition ($2.50 for 13 oz). I've been trying out cones again and I use SLS on a regular basis again (Herbal Essences), which costs in the $3 range for 12 oz.

So I've cut back since I stopped buying all-natural conditioners. It takes a long time to get through shampoo. Conditioner I buy every few weeks. I probably spend $15 on shampoo and conditioner per month, if that. I bought my oils during the summer and I still haven't run out.

As for hair toys, I don't have a lot and I don't buy a lot. I did get some nice things for Christmas, so I'm set for a while.

jesamyn
January 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
If I'm not experimenting, my hair is pretty cheap. I've had the same $30 gallon bottle of Nature's Gate Original Herbal shampoo for probably 3.5 years now, and it's probably got about a year's worth of shampoo left in it. I use Mane and Tail as my daily conditioner, and it's under $6 for a 32oz bottle. I think I go through about 4 or 5 bottles a year. FOTE AVG has become my only styling product, but I'm not sure how quickly I really go through a bottle since I don't wear my hair down daily, and it takes very little to smooth flyaways when it's up.

I've purchased a couple of hairtoys this year, but I keep that tendency easily under control because I'm not horribly skilled and more into plain braids or sock buns than things that need toys to stay put.

longishhair
February 25th, 2014, 03:44 PM
With my routine (CO, CWC, oilings, sulfate free shampoo) I spend about 1/4 of what someone with a "normal" routine (frequent hairdresser visits, dyeing, products) would spend. Even though my amount seems pretty high, the idea that just one visit to the hairdresser would rid me of the bucks needed for all stuff hair-related in an entire year puts me off ever going to a hairdresser.

jupiterinleo
February 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I spend very little on my hair. I spend maybe $5 every two months for shampoo and conditioner, and I've only bought oils once so far. They're lasting a really long time. I only have one hair stick, and I carved it from a twig from my backyard, so that was free.
The most I've ever spent was probably ~$30 on a BBB and two combs.
Edit: I also cut my own hair.

NoRush
February 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I use tresseme poo&co so about £7 for both every 2 months or so, coconut oil, flaxseed oil I buy once a year if that and my one "splurge" is phyto 7 cream or argan oil (3oz of oil will last me about a year so....) I keep my hair up with spin pins and tie off braids with clear elastics and that it, I don't really buy hairtoys much... ever... :P

My hair is not really very expensive to maintain, plus I only go to the salon once every 10 to 12 months so not much expense there either :) overall I'm quite happy with that.

velorutionista
February 25th, 2014, 04:22 PM
my hair's gone from "pretty cheap" (salon visit every 2-4 months + shampoo & conditioner) to "dirt cheap" (no salon visits, but still shampoo & conditioner). I'm still working my way through a giant jug of Aveda shampoo (which my hair loves)...I nabbed that on sale for half off and have at least another 6 months of shampoo in it yet. I'm on the hunt for a winter conditioner, though, so I've got a few more bottles of condish than usual. Still pretty inexpensive all things considered!

Remi
February 25th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Yes; I have been getting my shampoo and conditioners on ebay. The brands from the drugstore and grocery store just ruin my hair. (breakage, dry, fried, stinky, or not cleaning an oily scalp). So I have been very lucky to find good brands for a fraction of the cost, from way back when I used to go to the salon for cuts. Now I micro trim my own hair.

Remi
February 25th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I just typed this reply and it disappeared! Oh well. I wanted to say yes, I get my shampoos and conditioners on ebay for a fraction of the cost from when I used to go to the salon. The stuff at the grocery store and drugstores just ruin my hair with dry, brittle, not cleansing the scalp, etc.

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I use vo5 shampoo and conditioner my local store on sale for$.69 each. Lustrasilk was on discontinue shelf at dollar general $2.50 and tressemee spray shine $4.50 and Aussie 3 min miracle same price.

Anyuta
February 25th, 2014, 05:07 PM
My hair is "cheap" per product but collectively...hm not so much :D I like trying new things (bad habit) and especially if they are cheap it's very hard to resist from buying them. I seem to migrate from one obsession to another; one time it was brushes/combs, then oils, then conditioners, then hair toys, then sprays, then masks.. and then the cycle repeats again ;)

Nadine <3
February 26th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Yes! My hair love the rose hip herbal essences so I have that and the matching conditioner. I alternate using that with CO washing. My mom bought me 10 bottles of various Sauve conditioners (thanks mom!) so didn't even have to pay for that and I've only gone through 2 bottles in the last 4 months since I've had them.

The only other thing I've bought is a wooden comb and that was 5 bucks.
I use oils for my hair, but I have olive and coconut in the cupboard already for cooking, so s does that even count?

I did buy some 3$ chop sticks and made them into hair sticks...

I love growing long hair LOL

lapushka
February 26th, 2014, 06:41 AM
My shampoo cost € 1.69 a piece, for 500 ml (Pantene Aqua Light), and we wash weekly, so it's pretty much OK. Do use conditioner twice though (WCC method, there's a thread on it), and the LOC method for styling (thread on that too).

tlover
February 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM
yes
I do Water only with herbal teas or real tea as a rinse.
The herbal teas are either home grown (like catnip, stinging nettles.... well they are not grown but gatherd) or chep (for being ecological) bigpack herbal teas. Most of th time it's herbalteas/teas that I have brewn to drink but forgotten about so they end up in the fridge until washday (so if I wouldn't use them for my hair they would have been trown away).

The coconut oil will last forever in this usage (and it's pretty cheap since I bought it from the internet)

and the last year I bought one wooden comb and one boarbrisle brush for my hair thats not a "product"

edit: and I don't go to the hairdresses either

Bagginslover
February 26th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Tesco coconut shampoo for clarifying-£1 (1 bottle will last months)
Tesco coconot condish-£1 (I use a whole bottle in 2 weeks)
L'oreal eversleek shampoo -£6 (One bottle lasts about a month)
Coconut oil-£6 (I bought my jar 18 months ago, and its still a third full)

So produts are relatively cheap yes.

Toys, not so much! My second custom order is almost ready from Sirius Hairtoys, that'll be around £50, as was the first one I comissioned her for >_< My other toys are Ead acrylics and Fakkares, so relatively cheap.

Theobroma
February 26th, 2014, 07:41 AM
My routine is about as cheap and minimalist as it gets. Wash about every five days with pure vegetable soap (not cheap, but lasts for ages), vinegar rinse (two tablespoons of cheap white vinegar at less than a euro per litre), tiny puddle of extra virgin olive oil in the palm of my hand to condition.

I can get by perfectly well on just that, though I like to follow up with a homemade antifrizz cream consisting of AVG, coconut oil, and shea butter. The AVG costs a bit more but lasts forever, so the cost per application is very low too.

Long hair all my life = no money spent on stylists.

OK, so hairtoys are a very different story... :D

diddiedaisy
February 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I feel like I'm spending a small fortune at the moment. I only decided to grow my hair in November and joined LHC in December. My old routine was any old cheap shampoo, mid priced conditioner, brand of which depended on what was on offer, argon oil and hairspray. None of this cost too much and lasted a reasonable amount of time.

Expenditure sinced I joined LHC, still cheap shampoo, better conditioners, argon oil, tried fast shampoo to make my make my hair grow quicker £25 and a fail. Coconut oil (my hair doesn't like it), olive oil, and I've just ordered a variety of essential oils and a carrier oil. Roux conditioner £9 a bottle, I've also just ordered the new L'Oreal Elvive fibrology shampoo and condioner. I'm also using daktarin on and off. Then there's the vitamins' I never used to buy - msm, biotin, folic acid, multi vitimins. Oh, and today I ordered one of spider pronged head massagers, I'm soooo looking forward to that arriving. Then there's the new hair toys I also never used to buy.

As you can see I'm in the experimental stage and desperate for my hair to grow quicker!!!! So no my hair is not cheap, but nor is it gorgeous yet, I'm still working on that one ;)

MissBubble
February 26th, 2014, 05:38 PM
My shampoo and conditioner are about 5 dollars each. I use a lot of coconut oil but it costs me like 8 dollars, same with a couple of other oils that I use and they last for 4-5 months. I also dye my hair using a box dye, 10 dollars, and maybe a semi dye in between 6-7 dollars, every other month. I have stopped using styling products.
It is about 15 dollars dollars per month unless I want to try different things and products. It used to happen a lot but I have stopped. And I am satisfied with my toys for the moment, too.

sumidha
February 26th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Hmm, I think the answer is yes but I was curious, so I did some loose math...

Shampoo bar sample pack should last me about a year, that was $17 with shipping. I go through maybe two big $1.99 bottles of suave conditioner a year, plus coconut oil and honey for SMTs, a packet of jello for protein... That's around $16, I use the cheap stuff for my hair. If I'm super broke that's the most minimal routine I can do, which comes out to around $37. ETA: Oops, I totally forgot citric acid. I think it was around $5 for the bottle, but I use so little it will probably last me more than a year. So $42 total.

That being said, I do make occasional more expensive purchases when I have the money- most recently a $40 pair of hair scissors that should last me the rest of my life. Or things like pricey hair toys ($50-$100) or some hair dye to use as toner (a $12 jar will probably last all year). If you include bobby pins and hair ties, and miscellaneous little hair stuff, I'd say I spend somewhere between $42 to $150 a year on my hair, depending on how much extra cash I have. It's all relative, but considering some people spend that much on a single salon visit, I feel like I'm doing ok. :)

Weewah
February 26th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe once I'm done experimenting I'll settle into a cheaper routine. I don't normally wear hair accessories so I'm not worried about getting addicted to hair toys.

MandyBeth
February 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Four years later -

My scalp only tolerates SLS long term. I have a big liter bottle of something from Sally's. Two good glops in 16 ounces of water lasts me a week. I've had the bottle for a year now and used a quarter of it. So a $12 bottle of shampoo lasts me 4 years.

Conditioner is Sally's knock off Biolage Conditioning Balm. I buy it by the case when on sale. My daughters both use it also and with daily washing, a bottle lasts maybe 2 weeks. On my own, a month. So $7 or so a month for just me.

Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine as leave in. Family sized bottle is two months old and half gone. At $2, it's $0.50 a month.

There's an silicone argan oil mix from Target that I'm in love with. Hair feels as perfect as with plain argan oil, but add the cones and I really reduce tangles, which I'm horrible for. On a satin pillowcase, I toss so much, I get locs starting every night. So cones are a must. It's $30 I think, but argan in the equivalent amount is $25. Plus, I barely need any, so the bottle lasts forever. I've used maybe an eighth in 4 months.

Cut and color. Henna is not my friend at all. Dried my hair out so badly and never darken or cooled off. So, Manic Panic is my friend. $30 in two months if I did it at home.

But, my hair is extremely fine, grows slow and just can't tolerate mechanical damage. Dusting every four weeks is required. Plus, every other week, I get my shaped bangs trimmed. My stylist does the MP applications, I rinse Raven at home, go back the next day, applies After Midnight, I go back and get rinsed. Then in four weeks, dust and apply Rockabilly Blue. I sit under a dryer, get a pedicure, then she rinses the blue out. Best $75 I spend a month.

I have no clue on elastics, clips, etc. My kids wear them, the cats steal them, they get dropped and lost forever. The dryer here eats hair toys, not socks. Seriously, I buy elastics every time I am at the store. Big issue is my youngest pops a lot of the seams with her thick hair, and the ribbon elastics get horribly ensnared in her hair, to the point they must be cut out.

I take a lot of the hair supplements or "off label" use that are popular here, but those are for medical vs hair. Monistat to kill my fungal prone issues (thanks to my immunosuppresion drugs), DE for the silica for my autoimmune destruction, various vitamins and minerals because my system is so bad those are needed - like my 20,000 mg of biotin dose or I have a level so low it's not testable - and scalp massage to release migraine tendencies. So, those are $$$ but I don't count them.

So biggest expense I could remove is the cut and dye. But, my stylist is so worth her cost because she truly dusts my hair and my fragile ends love her. So, it's then dye. But, I look like I'm in end stage liver failure - pumpkin orange with gray tinge - with my natural color, and the deep, deep 1N black with blue black hints is honestly perfect - my chronic pale lupus mask and dark circles are gone, I can go out wearing only mascara and look healthy. Yes, that is pure vanity. But anything you do for your view on pretty hair is vanity.

I really can't remove any other expense, and I don't want to mess up what works. So, I'm rocking my crazy expensive hair.

seaj
February 26th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I'm lucky to have low maintenance hair. I've been using Suave Naturals Coconut shampoo and conditioner just because it's what's in the shower. My preferred shampoo is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, but I have to use more of it get the same lather. It's not that expensive, but the price has gone up in recent years. My hair gets mushy if I use more than 1 tablespoon of conditioner. Any light conditioner gets the job done. I recently started doing ACV rinses, and they really smooth things out. I also like to use coconut oil or olive oil to detangle before washing sometimes, but like all oils, you don't need more than a few drops to get the job done.

truepeacenik
February 26th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Half gallon of ShiKai, lasting close to a year, I'm several months beyond, but I also use crafter made soap from time to time and while traveling.
Probably 1 gal of conditioner, plus a couple bars.
Oils include olive, coconut, argan, and jojoba these days.
This all comes in under $100 a year.
Less than $10 a month? I'm not worrying.

queenovnight
February 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I'm definitely apart of the "cheap hair" group. I make a lot of my own hair products, and I use herbs that are grown where I live. The only things that I buy and call "expensive" are coconut & olive oil. Aside from that, I stick with cheaper shampoo & conditioner. I don't see a need to over-spend on either one.

ArienEllariel
February 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Fairly cheap but Trying to find a more natural method of washing may prove to be more expensive. However, the massive jar of unrefined virgin coconut oil turns out to be pretty cheap considering how long it lasts me.

Ackvelina
February 27th, 2014, 10:51 AM
My hair is really cheap right now. I wash my hair once a week with about a teaspoon of dish detergent (i know it sounds weird, but good sulpate free schampoos are hard to find in Sweden, and my hair likes it better than the stuff I bought from Bodyshop) I pre oil with a little cocoa butter, does AVC rinses and use a splash of waterbased lube when my hair needs some extra care (weird again, but trust me, it really moisturise your hair and makes it shine). Once a month i clarify with a basic shampoo and do a gelatin treatment. I guess thats all my hair needs nowadays.

On the other hand, I can't help myself if I happens to find a fancy hairtoy, a nice silk scarf or some satin ribbons........

emilia1992
February 28th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Shampoo from the Pound shop, conditioner under a pound from the supermarket, gelatin for the protein, and olive oil if necessary. That's my cheap hair routine! :)

DarleneH
February 28th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Yep. I'm currently CO or WO for washing (and even when I use shampoo it's a very little bit diluted with water). My favorite conditioner at the moment is Suave Rosemary & Mint. I filled my hair full of jojoba oil the other night after a wash with turned out wonderfully so I think I've found my oil to settle on; even though it's not the cheapest oil out there even "filling my hair full" isn't using much of it.

Marika
February 28th, 2014, 09:27 AM
My hair isn't particularly cheap because I rotate products a lot out of boredom. And everything around here is so expensive compared to US prices! I actually order most of my hair products from US because it's cheaper than buying any "brandless" product from a local grocery store! :bigeyes:

TheMechaGinger
February 28th, 2014, 09:53 AM
My hair is definitely cheap! I use Sauve shampoo for the most part too (or V05), and I dilute it and only shampoo about once a week. It literally takes me months to get through a bottle of shampoo that only costs a dollar or so. I just rotate through different coney drug store conditioners (Herbal Essence, Tresemme, Suave, etc.) but none of them cost me more than $5 at the most and the last about a month. I co wash about once a week too but again, I use the dollar conditioners for this and they last me about a month. I do like using serums after I wash my hair but none of them are more than $5 either and last a year. And I use coconut oil but I get a big jar for $10 and it lasts about 6 months. So all together I'd say I spend less than $10 a month on my hair.

Stray_mind
February 28th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Coconut oil and shampoo is all i have and i also buy some henna once every two months. The hair that's grown out of chemical damage looks pretty nice, so i don't really need anything else.

ositarosita
February 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
My hair is getting cheaper and cheaper .. I used to spend 7-10 on hair one or everclear cleansing conditioner (8oz bottle) so I would buy every month.. I have now moved onto herbal essences and when I'm not experimenting proclaim natural 7 oil ( dollars for an 8 oz. bottle I buy in bulk). since I don't use shampoo often (strictly to chelate) I have had the same bottle of Paul Mitchell shampoo three for about 5 months and I'm only halfway through.. my biggest expenditure is my deep conditioners at the moment as I search for the perfect deep conditioner

I think if I balance the spreadsheet I spend about 5 dollars per month on my hair

lapushka
February 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I think if I balance the spreadsheet I spend about 5 dollars per month on my hair

I got it down (I think) to 50cts a wash, and my hair gets washed 4 times a month, once a week, so it's about 2 dollars (well euros I mean) a month. Yes, my hair is cheap. Yay. ;)

LongHairLesbian
February 28th, 2014, 01:32 PM
My hair is, and always has been, fairly cheap. The only heat I've ever used is a generic blow dryer, and I quit that 4 months ago. I've also never dyed my hair and I never visit the hair dresser more than twice a year for a trim. Even if you use a dirt cheap S&C, your costs are going to be high if you colour and style your hair. Since I prefer not to do either of those things, I spend between $100-$150 a year for everything that has to do with my hair, depending on if I buy a new brush or hair toy. My holy grail S&C are about $40 a year, my deep treatment (coconut oil) is $17 for a huge jar that lasts a year. Two yearly trims are $30. My current hair serum is $33 for a year, but when I run out I'm buying Jojoba or Macadamia nut oil for less than $20, and that should last me a year. If I needed to tighten my belt, I could cut out the hair serum and use the coconut oil for treatment and serum, a trim, and dilute my shampoo. That being said, I haven't gotten into hair toys yet; that could be my downfall. ;)

I thought my hair was cheap and low maintenance, but after reading the other responses to the thread, most of you lovely LHCers are far more thrifty! And yet you still have wonderful hair. :)

alexis917
February 28th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Conair Wet Brush (ripoff): $4.97.
I'll assume this lasts me two years (730 days), with one brushing per day.
VO5 Strawberries and Cream 'poo/condish, 15 oz each: $.88 each at Walmart.
Shampoo and condition every three days= twice weekly= each bottle generally lasts four months (112 days).
I generally buy one pack of black Scunci "damage-free" hairties (30 count) per year: $3.87. I will generally wear the same tie ($.13) for one month before losing it.

$2.49 (1/2 of $4.97, as that's the cost of a hairbrush for approx. two years) + $5.28 (2[$.88] for shampoo and conditioner x 3= annual cost for washing) + $1.56 (12[$.13]- for one hair tie for every month)= $9.33 used for my hair per year.

15 ounces of V05 shampoo and 15 ounces of conditioner (I try to use equal amounts)= four months of 'poo and condish. So, I use approx. 25% of each bottle (3.75 ounces) per month.

$.21 (1/12 of $2.49, as that's the cost of my hairbrush for a year) + $.44 (2[$.22] for 1/4 of an $.88 shampoo bottle + conditioner bottle that lasts four months) + $.13 (monthly hair tie)= $.78 used on my hair per month.

This doesn't include the castor oil I have recently incorporated, because I haven't used it all up yet! Once I do, I'll determine how long I've had it and the average amount I used each time I oiled! I also didn't include my trims because I do them myself and my shears were a gift from a friend (free).
I've definitely got some cheap hair!

veryhairyfairy
March 2nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Well, I'm definitely in the cheap hair club! I buy one $9 bottle of shampoo a year, and I probably spend something like $36 a year on my conditioner... so that's a grand total of about $3.75 a month. For reference, I spend $60 a month just on bus fare!
Concerning hairtoys; I actually have not spent any of my own money on those buggers (yet)! My toys have all been birthday gifts, and I may just keep it that way. (It's not like I have the extra money to be spending, anyway)

jextxadore
March 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Very cheap: Water only and a jar of coconut oil I bought probably 1.5 years ago and haven't used 1/10th of (it's a 400ml jar from a food shop…I guess they meant it to be used in the kitchen). A few horn combs and one BBB which've been in use for at least 2 years by now.

Hair ties I get for about 2 euros for 10, and they're the woven ones (I think that's what they're called — the ones that aren't glued or joined with metal). Should last me at least a year.

Sagi1982
March 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Yes, my hair care is cheap - cheap shampoo, cheap conditioner, pomade and hair colors.
Both last ones aren't really cheap, but economic if you use them right.

Hair jewelry/accessoires - I've got a few expensive and high quality items that I use regulary, so I consider them as totally worth the money.

dancingpoet
March 2nd, 2014, 09:43 AM
I used to use more inexpensive products on my hair... but then I discovered Nexxus and fell in love for the time being. At least they sell it in Costco, so I'll get huge bottles of it for less. Other than that, I don't really use much other than a jojoba hot oil treatment, which is maybe 5 bucks and change, and I don't use it super often, so the bottle lasts me about a year. I rarely cut my hair (a friend does it, therefore costs waaaay less than a salon), and I stopped dying it, so that saves me money, too. Now, I just have to invest in a good pair of hair scissors for S&Ding...

EdG
March 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM
My current shampoo is so cheap that even the manufacturer doesn't list it on their website. Has anyone heard of Key Brands Vital Plus Herbal Organics shampoo? It's $4 for a huge 42 ounce bottle. I dilute it and it works fine.
Ed

pittie-lover
March 15th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I just did the math and I am spending about 36 dollars a year on my hair care. Apple cider vinegar 32 oz $6 a bottle. That last about 6 months. Baking soda $2 a box. That last 6 months or more. And I spend $20 on my coconut oil I use that as my face moisturizer too and that last me over a year. I'm trying water only. So maybe I can spend even less

lapushka
March 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM
The drugstore was offering a 40% discount on hairproducts and deodorants and stuff. My mom stocked up for me. I saved about € 16! Yes, I do have cheap hair. We always shop for cheap options (I look at ads a lot), and then my mom stocks up for me. I have more than enough products to get through just about now! Sheesh! It makes me blush. :oops:

swearnsue
March 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM
It hasn't been very cheap the first two years of growing my hair because I needed so many things as a one time purchase. BBB, Tangle Teezer, hair pins, big jar of coconut oil, henna and cassia, hair friendly hair elastics and clips, hair bonnets and silk pillow cases.

But now that all those are purchased, I don't spend ANYTHING on salons, hair color, perms, or hair styling appliances.

Oils I use for my hair are also used in the kitchen and on my skin. The henna I bought on sale and is enough for about 3 years! Once splurge is my AOHR conditioner at $11.00 a bottle but it lasts me at least a year.

blace
March 15th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Oh so cheap!
VO5/Suave shampoos and conditioners. Occasional Abba shampoo/conditioner that I got for free from my MIL. Leave in Giovanni conditioner that was marked down. Oil and vinegar from the kitchen. Marked down wide tooth comb when The Body Shop was having a sale. So on and so forth...

I do everything cheaply.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM
A year's worth of shampoo, conditioner, coconut oil, mineral oil, and hair dye for me comes to $94. I could buy cheaper shampoo and conditioner but I like the ones I use. I self trim so never need hairdressers.

I think my sister spends more than that on one salon visit and she goes every week...

christiansummer
March 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Okay, I'm curious: what's she getting done at the salon that requires weekly visits?

blace
March 15th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Okay, I'm curious: what's she getting done at the salon that requires weekly visits?

No kidding. I'm running through services in my mind...cut? color? highlights?
Is she paying for weekly conditioning treatments?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Washing, conditioning, perm, roots being dyed, trims, head massage.... you name it she has it done.... various combinations of these. And conditioning treatments, highlights. She goes EVERY week. She never washes her own hair...

ETA Her husband is forever grumbling to me how much money she spends, not just on hair but clothes, shoes, everything. She is "high maintenance", as they say.

neko_kawaii
March 15th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I figure the shampoo, condish, aloe gel, apply cider vinegar, honey, and oils come to roughly $50 a year, and much of the aloe, honey, and oils go on my skin. I S&D instead of trimming but should I want a professional trim I know my fantastic hairdresser would happily trade a handmade hair toy for the application of her tools and skills.

YamaMaya
March 16th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I try to save money where I can, but it can be difficult, especially when I eye up hair toys or things like nightblooming and shampoo/conditioner that is £6 a bottle. BUT on the flipside, I don't go to the salon, trim my own hair, and get cheap olive oil from ASDA and a positively giant tub of coconut oil for £2 in chinatown. I did buy some Ayuverdic herbs that were a bit pricey, but I'm not going to buy them on a regular basis. It evens out and my bills still get paid and I get enough to eat so I'm happy :).

embee
March 16th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I'm trying to think what I have spent on my hair in the last year, and I can't remember anything. Surely that's not quite right. WO in summer and NW/SO in winter and no new hairtoys really does bring down the expenses though.

There will be a new Denman brush some time this year I think, though, so that will be a bit of $$. Also I look at some new hairtoys with longing, but do not *need* any. For now, it's a self control issue! ;)

ETA: no salon visits since about 1990... if I remember right.

Wildcat Diva
March 16th, 2014, 11:01 AM
My hairtoys are not cheap. Products are. I'll spend more money on products if I need to to get better hair, but I don't think I will need to. Toys are my biggest expense, and boy it's a lot. I'm an addict. Luckily, they are not used up and gone with their use, so they are able to be resold if need be. I buy used and sales and discounts and swap on high end toys that hold some value, so if I need money I can sell them for at or close to what I paid.

OperaPhantom
March 16th, 2014, 01:20 PM
My hair care is very cheap. As of right now, I just use Mane 'n Tail Shampoo, which costs about $7 for 32 ounces. I go through that in maybe 3-4 months, since both myself and my grandmother use it. So that's about $28 a year.
Any other hair things I get, like accessories, I don't get very often. I spend maybe $10 a year, tops, on those. My grandmother actually gives me most of my hair accessories as gifts.

Nebulae
March 16th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Can't really calculate how much I spend per year, but I know I've saved a lot of money on haircare since finding this place!
When placing my last henna order I calculated to compare how much a year's worth of henna/cassia vs the chemical dye I used before costs.. turns out using henna is about half the price! Not only is my scalp and hair happy, my bank account is too :p
I bought shears for the price of a salon visit... and now I never need to pay for a trim/cut again!
I no longer buy mousse and hair spray and heat protectant and detangling spray and and... all the products I tried to make my hair look better with.

Now on the other hand all that money that I've saved has probably went to all the hair toys I've bought.. oh well :D

anitacs9101
March 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM
My shampoo is $10 (shea moisture) but lasts me like a year and a half haha, since I co-wash or clarify occasionally. I always use suave/vo5 conditioners too. I can't fathom ever running out of coconut oil, and ACV I have to buy about once a year (but I've been buying the smaller bottles.) That's all the products I use on my hair, I think. Now hair toys and pins are another story...;)

lapushka
March 16th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Never calculated this before, that's why I said upthread that every wash is about 50cts.

My shampoo bottles are 500ml (Pantene Aqua Light). One bottle lasts about 10 washes, that's 10 weeks. So 5 to 6 bottles a year at €1.69 a bottle. That's €10.14 a year. My conditioner lasts about 3 to 4 washes, and is doubled up (WCC method). So every 3 to 4 weeks that means 2 empty containers, so 26 bottles of conditioner a year, also @ €1.69 a piece. That's €43.94 a year. Together that makes €54.08, divided by 52 weeks is more like €1.04 a week. This doesn't include styling products! I blame it all on us double conditioning, otherwise it probably would be more like 50cts.

Laurenji
March 16th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Man, this thread is back from the dead. Turns out I commented on it 4 years ago! But my hair is cheaper than ever, as I now use baking soda and AVC once every 6-8 days, and the occasional oil of some kind.

starlamelissa
March 16th, 2014, 07:27 PM
my hair care expenses are minimal. My hair toy expenses are also minimal.

I spend 30ish dollars per year on hair dye;

8 dollars per year on a large shampoo bottle

4 dollars per month-ish on conditioner

5 dollars per year on leave in conditioner

3 dollars per year for detangler, used mostly on the children.

6 dollars per year for my kids shampoo

6 dollars per year for my husband's medicated shampoo

we have gel/hairspray in the house, but that stuff lasts multiple years in our home, same as combs and brushes.

UP Lisa
March 17th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I have trimmed my own hair for years, so that helps. In the past I spent more on trying new products than I do now.

duchesswannabe
March 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I pay 99 cents a bottle for shampoo (VO5, which I dilute most of the time), and a little over a dollar a bottle for conditioner (I think it is Suave, and I use the conditioner for shaving and body wash as well). I use the same barrettes and headband elastics I have used for years. I use little claw clips on the "fronts" of my hair while it is air drying. I get a haircut about once a year (about $60 which includes the tip). I am going to see if I can skip that this year: who knows? I use mineral oil and Vaseline Intensive Care Repair Lotion sparingly (some cones) as leave-ins. The Vaseline Intensive Care lotion I buy at under 23 ounces to make it under $6 for a bottle. The reason it goes as quickly as it does is because I use it for my skin as well. ;)

elea
March 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
i get not the cheapest but common shampoo and conditioner when on offer for 3 months.
i get soft almond oil from internet cheap in big bottle and it lasts years.
hair things, i not have many but i always saved for nice ones and got presents.
here comes the expense, my hair colour costs around £7 a month (i bulk buy too).
i spent £15 on a good comb because advice here directed me to one i can finally use.
when i cut, colour or do hair for other people, i trade for something they can help me with.

i can do without the hair colour if money is tight or i am saving but it buggs me.
things were exactly the same when i could have a full time job except i did not bulk buy as much.