PDA

View Full Version : I am a moron

halfbakedtulip
January 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
So I have been here almost a year now. In that time I have learned more than I will ever possibly remember. After getting out of the shower today I did a hair measurement and tada my longest layers are at BSL!!:cheese: To celebrate I thought I would damp sock bun. Now I have been reading about these for a year. When I googled instructions imagine my shock and awe to discover that you actually use a sock !!!!!!!!:eyebrows:

Dont ask me what I thought you did because I never really thought about it...they just looked pretty :p

Sara Smile
January 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I only discovered that you use a sock in a sock bun a few weeks ago, and I haven't tried one yet. A sock! I'm still amazed.

Islandgrrl
January 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Ah, the magic of socks! Buns, monkeys.....what's next?

Islandgrrl
January 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
And you're not a moron. I didn't know it was possible before I got here and saw the tutorial either.

Crown of Glory
January 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
rofl!! Ah well, we all have those moments. =D

curlylocks85
January 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
No you are not a moron. You can also do a sock bun with a scrunchie.

enfys
January 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Let's face it, most of the buns have visual names, not accurate ones.

Unless I'm doing really bad cinnamon buns...

redneckprincess
January 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
i think the sock buns have to be my favorite!!!

linda g
January 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Let's face it, most of the buns have visual names, not accurate ones.

Unless I'm doing really bad cinnamon buns...

:laugh: Can you imagine starting with a cinnamon bun....

halfbakedtulip
January 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
:laugh: Can you imagine starting with a cinnamon bun....

teehee if I thought it would work I'd give it a whirl :eyebrows:

I guess my night will be practising ...the sock bun not the cinnamon bun:p

halfbakedtulip
January 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I mainly do half-ups because of all my crazy layers. I used to do the pull through the elastic bun (my technical name for it :p) or just do my canopy up in an elastic but I notice my sides are realllllly dry and nasty in the shower so I contribute the damage to that fun look.

missjessiecakes
January 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I would've never believed it either if not for that cute girl with her adorable accent :D

Islandgrrl
January 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hmmm.... a cinnamon bun. Well, they're sticky enough that my hair might actually stay put for more than an hour....not that I'm gonna try it...no, really. I won't. :wink:

sally_neuf
January 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
well you're not a moron! I think that if you don't look for instructions, there is no way to know how is done. :grouphug:
I have shoulder - apl hair and I can only do sockbuns. Everytime I do one, people tell "Oh I didn't know your hair was THAT long" .. If they only knew!

halfbakedtulip
January 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hmmm.... a cinnamon bun. Well, they're sticky enough that my hair might actually stay put for more than an hour....not that I'm gonna try it...no, really. I won't. :wink:

hahaha Well it doesnt seem anymore crazy than the other stuff I have done lets see as far as things I have put in my hair:

honey
placenta
eggs
mayo
cinnamon
ACV
olive oil...well every oil actually :p
soap nuts
henna
all manner of herbs
tea
coffee
yogurt
coconut milk
cardamom
etc etc...

So really a cinnamon bun doesnt seem that crazy after all that:o

JamieRose
January 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I just retired two old socks I used for bunning to make monkeys, to the delight of my dogs :D

I was surprised when I found this out, too, so don't feel like a moron!

Coriander
January 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was amazed at the sock bun when I saw it. I was also sad, too, because if I had known there was something so neat and orderly, I never would have cut my hair for boot camp.

I don't use a sock; I use a foam donut that I bought at Sally's which works just as well.

GlassEyes
January 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Yep! XD I was kind of amazed too. "SO THAT'S WHY THEY'RE SO BIG!"

I need to find mine or make a new one. >.> I kind of lost it a day or two ago. I have to cover it in silk or velvet or something anyway--the material kind of snags.

SeaShell
January 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
lol! I think I thought the same too before I tried it!!

ericthegreat
January 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
You're not a moron! I have to admit, last year before I came to LHC I already thought I knew all the long hair terms since I've already been COing and oiling and doing my own S&Ds for over 4 years now, but now I've learned so many other new terms like the very popular SMT and the names for different buns and braids!

HKay
January 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
There's a sock bun :bigeyes:?

Must try.

Akiko
January 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
LoL! I do remember how I shocked I was when I discovered the truth about a sock bun. There is a sock in it!

halfbakedtulip
January 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
You should have seen the look on my DH's face when I told him this (last) evening :eyebrows:

halfbakedtulip
January 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Without further ado here is my very first sock bun :crush:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/halfbakedtulip/sockbun-1.jpg

Juanita
January 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I have a thing called a hair doughnut that I use. It sort of reminds me of those nylon saucepan scrubby things. Hairdresser used it in my hair when she did it for my daughters wedding. She made my hair look awesome.

linda g
January 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Without further ado here is my very first sock bun :crush:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/halfbakedtulip/sockbun-1.jpg

Awesome! I am going to have to go sacrifice a sock and try this myself.

halfbakedtulip
January 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Awesome! I am going to have to go sacrifice a sock and try this myself.

I stole one of hubbies :eyebrows:

tralalalara
January 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I only knew that a sock was used because in highschool, a sock bun was the standard performance hairstyle for marching band girls and our band was enormous and mostly girls.

Otherwise, I'd have no idea!

Speckla
January 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM

self-washing? :eyebrows:

Your sockbun looks great!

anneisanne
January 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Nice job on the sock bun! It was the first kind of bun I ever learned.