PDA

View Full Version : Where to find photos to use in product reviews ? (i.e., what's appropriate / legal ?)

Delila
March 10th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I notice that people have been putting product photos on their reviews, and that the system is set up to upload an image from your computer as you create the review, but I wonder if someone could provide a bit of a tutorial about what's appropriate and necessary for this.

I'm not sure I understand the issues of copyright (or whatever) that would apply to such images. Is it appropriate to find/copy images from the company website? Elsewhere? I don't have a camera or whatever else I might need to photograph things myself, so if I use an image, it's gotta come from someone/somewhere else.

What size do they need to be?

From the way the system is set up right now, I assume the image has to be saved on your own computer, then uploaded onto the forum, is that correct?

I realize that it's possible to create a review with no photos at all, but they look so nice with them, I'd like to learn how to provide them.

Well, I just thought I'd toss the questions out there for anyone who's got the time to find out more specifics. Thanks!

Ursula
March 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
For commercial products like shampoos, you probably don't need to worry about pictures. People can find a pic by google, if needed.

For hair toys, I suggest you contact the maker, if possible. I suspect that many of them (particularly the people who make their own toys and sell them) would be happy to give you permission to use the picture. After all, it would be good publicity for them!

But permissions need to come from the person who has the rights, which means the person who took the picture, or someone who bought the rights to their work (e.g., their employer, if a hair-toy maker hires a professional photographer, they might buy the rights with the photos, or buy the right to use the photos themselves, but let the photographer keep the larger rights).

happylynngilmer
March 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Is there any way (not that I see but thought I would ask!) to upload product pics from photobucket instead of a home computer? I consider photobucket safer-it's like a comfort blanket to me LOL

Flaxen
March 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think so, but I will test it as soon as uploading is working again. :smile:

capelli lunghi
March 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Is there any way (not that I see but thought I would ask!) to upload product pics from photobucket instead of a home computer? I consider photobucket safer-it's like a comfort blanket to me LOLJust wondering, but how do you get your files to photobucket that are on your computer?..

happylynngilmer
March 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Just wondering, but how do you get your files to photobucket that are on your computer?..

I upload pics into photobucket from my computer. When I upload pics into threads it will say the picture is hosted from photobucket, so it keeps my computer "safer" in my mind. I know, like I said, it's just a mental security blanket :}

happylynngilmer
March 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
But permissions need to come from the person who has the rights, which means the person who took the picture, or someone who bought the rights to their work (e.g., their employer, if a hair-toy maker hires a professional photographer, they might buy the rights with the photos, or buy the right to use the photos themselves, but let the photographer keep the larger rights).

Should I remove the pics from my reviews then? I got them all off websites.

capelli lunghi
March 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I upload pics into photobucket from my computer. When I upload pics into threads it will say the picture is hosted from photobucket, so it keeps my computer "safer" in my mind. I know, like I said, it's just a mental security blanket :}
Ahh.. I get how you're thinking now.. I that what you are thinking is that the image will show the info saying it is from your computer.. but what it will actually show is that the image is hosted on LHC.. There won't be any link to your computer at all.. For example, the photo I uploaded in my picture album.. If I right click on the picture and look at properties to see where the picture is hosted from.. it says "http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=303" It doesn't show anything anywhere about my computer or where I'm located.. nothing.. I hope this will ease your mind a bit.. :D

Raederle
March 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation, capelli lunghi. That was one of the things I was wondering about (about which I was wondering?).

chloeishere
March 12th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm not sure this will really be an issue. For most commercial products, I'm sure they won't mind "stock" photos being used for reviews, especially as it's hosted by LHC and thus not stealing their bandwidth. Keep in mind that reviews = free advertising. If a company is displeased, all they have to do is send an e-mail asking for their picture to be removed, and it could be done quickly and easily. I had to edit the first section of a review a short while ago (I made an embarrassing it's/its typo ARGH), and it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to take a picture down.

Nonetheless, I prefer to take my own pictures, even if they aren't quite as nice.

For most hairtoy sellers, I would definitely ask permission first, but I don't think it should be an issue, again, because it is free advertising. I had never heard of ANY hair toy maker before this website. Now I have, what, at least 20 or so hairtoy items? And that's in well under 6 months-- and I have a huge list of things I'd like to try, all of which I've gotten from the lovely people at LHC. I think they would be delighted to have their items featured-- but again, to be polite, it's definitely best to ask first.

happylynngilmer
March 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Ahh.. I get how you're thinking now.. I that what you are thinking is that the image will show the info saying it is from your computer.. but what it will actually show is that the image is hosted on LHC.. There won't be any link to your computer at all.. For example, the photo I uploaded in my picture album.. If I right click on the picture and look at properties to see where the picture is hosted from.. it says "http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=303" It doesn't show anything anywhere about my computer or where I'm located.. nothing.. I hope this will ease your mind a bit..

Yes, thank you, that does ease my mind! :}

AmandaPanda
March 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
OK, when I remove a pic from my review to replace it, a message pops up saying "product has been deleted!" even though the product is still there. It scares me every time lol. Can this be fixed? or is it being worked on already?