PDA

View Full Version : going to a wedding, wearing this dress.. What should I do with my hair?

Garnett
April 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hey everyone! I'm going to a fancy wedding in Paris this week. I have my outfit all picked out, my clothes (mostly) packed, my lists all written, my conditioner packed... and I have no idea what to do with my hair. Please help!

The dress is vintage, probably about 1965-ish. I'll be wearing this sweater and these shoes. Green (if they come in the mail soon enough) or white earrings, and a green bracelet (if I can friggin find one!). And I have two choices for a handbag (black w/ silver beads, or gold w/ bronze beads).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/dressedit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/shoesedit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/shoes2edit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/sweater.jpg

What would you do with your hair?

Oh, and what nail polish do you like best to go with the dress? I can't decide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/npchoices2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/MikesGypsyRose/other/npchoices5.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Fee
April 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
what a cute dress! you look great! oh and cool tattoo! I would let my hair down with maybe clipping one part to the side with some nice hair clip,because in my opinion an updo could maybe look too formal? as for the nail polish,the second one is better. It's a fantastic color,may I ask which nai lpolish is that?

AutumnLeaves
April 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Have you ever seen those old fashioned (from the 60's) barettes that are colored plastic in the shape of bows? Those came in different colors and they had metal clips that snapped into a plastic knob to hold. With that dress, you could part the hair in the middle and put a little one of those barettes about an inch down from the part on each side, curl the ends under (and I hope it won't get me tossed), and maybe tease (or use a mouse) the crown? Just a thought! Love the retro style of the dress!!!

Mrs_Zombie
April 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM
i have no suggestions for your hair right now, but i think the second nail polish would look best. Lovely dress though, where did you get it?

PseudoScot
April 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
You are so cute! I love that dress! I also vote for the 2nd nail polish [the blue is too cool/distracting with that outfit for my tastes].

Looking at those pictures made me think of Dharma from Dharma and Greg. She had short hair but often had it twisted up in fun whimsical ways. I think something modern would look fantastic. An updo with spiky ends poking out, or a half up. Sorry I don't have more specific ideas. What a fantastic ensemble!

frizzinator
April 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Pink nail polish and a french twist with the ends sticking out.

morningstar
April 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Garnet :waving: I love your dress! I like the second fingernail polish for the brightness of it. I actually like both but love the warm bright color on your nails.
I really loved Autumnleaves suggestion.
I was thinking your hair should be down certainly and perhaps a large headband to hold back the front. Some of these have beads or pearls or silk flowers on them. (Maybe if you are crafty you can make one?) Your hair could be flipped up (very retro) or under (also very retro) Your dress makes me think of a Doris Day from that era. Since the dress is so spring like and happy, if the wedding is out doors maybe a hat would look nice and depending on how fancy this wedding is; gloves. Ok I'll stop now since I am channeling my inner "That Girl".

Have a great time Garnet and enjoy yourself in Paris :)

Mrs_Zombie
April 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
ok, so i had a thought. Maybe you could do your hair how Ashlee Simpson has it here http://perezhilton.com/2008-04-17-staged-photo-op

It fits with the period the dress was made in and its totally cute and won't damage your hair loads.

HTH :)

Florida Mom
April 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Pink nail polish and a french twist with the ends sticking out.

Ditto that's what I was thinking - classic and classy!

Hayat
April 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Your outfit is really cute, and it suits you lovely! I'd go for the red nail polish. About the hair, I don't know - but I liked the idea with the head band kind of 60'ish. Have fun in Paris!! :cheer:

Shanarana
April 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I also like the second nail color. Perhaps wearing you hair in a thick headband and curls going outward. I love the outfit, very 60's looking to me.

icydove
April 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Another vote for the second nail polish. Gold bag. I know the trend is to do a contrasting bag, but I prefer matchy-matchy :lol:

Hair? That dress is screaming "hair down" to me. If you are going for 60s, you could part it down the middle, have it on the straighter side.

Patrycja
April 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
have it one the straighter side but the ends curled out to a flip.Als,the big head band would look good with that style.And I vote for the second nail polish btw.

The outfit is too cute!!!!!!Take lots of pics of Paris :)

Garnett
April 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
thank you thank you thank you!!!! I'll do some quick experiments tomorrow :) I am trying to pack lightly, so I don't think I'll bring a curling iron. I really appreciate all of your suggestions!! Thanks a ton!

angelthadiva
April 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm late as usual to the party! :( I'm glad you found a dress, it's so cute and cute on you too! I love everything you selected to go with it too. I vote for the 2nd nail polish too.

I hate to be such a groupie, but I like the idea of several of the hairstyles that were mentioned...I like the down w/a flip, down a/wide headband...It might take some practice, but if you could do 1/2 up kind of like this (http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/amy-winehouse-2007-elle-style-awards-in-london-16tOhI.jpg) which is actually a combination of most of the styles mentioned. Have fun, and take lots of pics!

Blueglass
April 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
A green barrett with a ribbon on it. A strip of hair pinned up in the middle with the barrett. Then eds curled up. Coral polish, and green handbag.

PseudoScot
April 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
thank you thank you thank you!!!! I'll do some quick experiments tomorrow :) I am trying to pack lightly, so I don't think I'll bring a curling iron. I really appreciate all of your suggestions!! Thanks a ton!

Don't forget the adapter if you do take it!

Miss Murphy
April 28th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I definitely like the second nail polish better.
Hair-wise, how about a puffy bun? You could also do that as a half-up, and it would look similar to what Ashlee Simpson is wearing.

Great dress, by the way - I'm a sucker for vintage!

Pegasus Marsters
April 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
The second nail polish is nicer IMO... looks great against the green. Makes me think of a watermelon ^.^

How about a half up? If you do a half up bun with some loose strands around your face and maybe curl what's loose? (If your hair doesn't naturally curl, I'm too lazy to scroll up and read your hairtype now)

Either way you'll look fantastic... that's an awesome dress.

Juliette
April 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
The dress is just georgous!! Hair down with a ribbon or headband. Second nail polish goes better than the first. Make sure you post pics after the wedding. Will be great to see the whole package together!!

anna1850
April 28th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I really like the dress. It really reminds me of Catherine Deneuve in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displaymedia.php?id=12187&sizew=200&cat=3

As for the hair you have loads of options: down, half-up, french twist, peacock twist, gibson tuck etc.

I like the 2nd nail polish more as well.

Xandergrammy
April 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'm going to go against the grain and vote for the first nail polish. I just think that color is more "you". As far as the hair, I think a french twist would look amazing with that adorable dress. Whatever you end up doing with your hair, have a blast!

Peggy E.
April 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Have you ever seen those old fashioned (from the 60's) barettes that are colored plastic in the shape of bows? Those came in different colors and they had metal clips that snapped into a plastic knob to hold. With that dress, you could part the hair in the middle and put a little one of those barettes about an inch down from the part on each side, curl the ends under (and I hope it won't get me tossed), and maybe tease (or use a mouse) the crown? Just a thought! Love the retro style of the dress!!!

Having been a child during this vintage period - hey, you want to know what makes you feel old? When people start referring to "antique" and "vintage" and they're talking about YOU!!!!

Anyway, if you want to do the look that would have honestly gone with the dress - it's a flip! You'd have parted your hair in the center, left the top flat and then curled the bottom of your hair so it would "flip" up.

You'll need several cans of hairspray to keep it working....

As for the plastic bows, the only ones I can recall that are anything like those referred to above, were for children (I WAS a kid and had some!). The older crowd that would have worn this dress did that flip I mentioned, or would have pulled their hair back and secured it low on the nape with a straight Goody style clip.

Later you've got the Mary Quant thing going, along with the Sassoon cut which I loved soooo much and never dared to try. You'll need a wig for that, though.

Oh, yeah, vote for the second nail polish. Have a wonderful, wonderful time!!!! Paris in the spring, wow......

Isilme
April 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I think a ponytail with a pouff on top of the head, kind of like rockabilly style would look good.:) and I vote for the second nail polish too.

Garnett
April 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks again everyone. Today is experiment day :) I'll let ya know how they turn out hehe