PDA

View Full Version : Am I sealing out my oil?

Olde Soul
January 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I just had a thought:

I oil my ends profusely almost every night with coconut oil and deep condition with eggs, yogurt, oil, the works.

HOWEVER...
I also use FX Silk Drops and Infusium 23 (both full of cones) as leave-ins/detanglers after I wash. I try to do ACV rinses every couple weeks and don't use those products if I'm not going out for a few days, but I don't know if any of the oil I apply is soaking in between the rinses. I have really fine hair, so it's hard to tell.

I also use henna, and I wasn't sure if that would seal out oil too since it coats hair. I'm also worried the ACV rinses will strip my henna color...

Any suggestions?:confused:

manderly
January 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
2 things, vinegar rinses are not clarifying and they won't strip your henna color.

I couldn't tell you if your cones are sealing out your oils for sure, does your hair feel like it's benefiting from your oiling? If you're not sure, you could try washing with an SLS shampoo (to remove the cones), then follow with your oiling routine and see if you notice a difference. If you don't I'm sure you're fine :)

hmmm
January 7th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I know people who use a lot of cones and SLS who also oil and they think it helps a lot. I wouldn't not use oil if I was on an SLS routine. As far as I know it's the only thing that effectively removes coney build up.