PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Layers

Pear Martini
January 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
What do you do with your layers while trying to grow them out?

What do you do when they are at the weird stage of where they are inbetween chin and collar bone?

My old face framing layers just hand midway betwenn chin and shoulder. I think its really unflattering but I dont know what to do with them. It looks like I have let myself go almost.

Stephichan
January 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I had awkward layers, the longest being at bsl and the shortest being around my collarbone. For a while, I just pulled my hair back and tried to ignore it. I had decided to do dusting trims periodically until everything was even. Eventually though, the huge disparity and the damage that my longest layers had accumulated convinced me to just chop them off.

If you don't want to go that route, pigtails look cute at that length. Sometimes it's the hair right by the face that makes it awkward, so you could use headbands and scarves to pull it slightly back.

treesandcoffee
January 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have some awkward layers between chin and collar bone. Actually, My layers range from side swept bangs that have grown out to mid cheek, chin-collarbone, and the longest are apl. Since my hair is curly, I love wearing it halfway pulled back with all those shorter layers curled up in the front. I don't mind it being a little 'messy'.

When my hair was shorter and there was TOO many layers to wear out, I'd pin some of them behind my ears. I hope you find something that works for you!

Dars
January 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I wore my hair up, pinned loose bits back and tried my best to forget them. It's easy to cut them off and feel better for a while but eventually your at the same stage again, it's better to just let them grow out once and for all.

Raven2448
January 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM
You have my sympathies during this stage of growing out!

I used headbands and ponied ... unfortunately had to use a lot of hairspray and hairpins to keep all hair back. Like others who have posted, I tried to focus on other things, such as skincare and makeup to stay sane.

Monthly photos helped too - knowing you are progressing is a good motivator to stay on track.

LILBERT
January 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I feel your frustration, im at the same stage and its driving my bonkers! :(
Im tying it up everyday to forgoet about it, doing regular S&D's to minimise damage, and trimming my length often untill they all catch up. Then i can grow in peace! :cheese:

Wind
January 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Half ups with lots of bobby pins work amazingly for me when I get to that "shaggy" stage.

frizzalot
January 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
i'm growing out my layers too, I just do two french plaits on either side on my head to hold back the annoying length ones, or half up. :)

julliams
January 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have the layers you describe which are about 6 inches shorter than my longest length. I figure I have up to a years growth there that if I cut off, I know I'll regret because it will take me a whole year longer to get to my goal. When I wear my hair curly you can't really notice the layers and when it's wavy it looks ok but not my favourite.

Contrary to what most hairdressers have told me, my hair gets curlier the longer I grow it because I have a very spaced out S wave so having the layers in fact does not make my hair curlier, it just thins it out a bit.

I have decided to keep my layers so I'm going to have to learn to love them. The only thing that really bothers me is that when I try to do updos, tufts of layers stick out all over the place so I have a "messy bun" look no matter what I am trying to do.

My plan is to grow to just below waist and then cut an inch off at a time until all ends are even. This means I will end up with a big blunt hemline but it's the only way I can think growing out those layers.

Juliette

Little_Bird
January 7th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Well I have natural layers from growing a short cut... You know, I would just try to enjoy them while they're there... In my case at least, I'm not planning to get my hair layered again after FINALLY getting it blunt, so I just try to enjoy the way it looks for now, even tough I don't like it.

I see what you mean, but other than trying to ponytail it, or braid or bun... There's nothing else to do but enjoy the ride :flower: (Or at least I think so but maybe someone else has better ideas :p)

LILBERT
January 7th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Forgot to mention my updos! two french braids work the best. Recently my layers have got long enough to do this style: I twist my up, then fold the length down again, but make sure the ends of my layers are sandwiched in the middle (because theyre not quite long enough to twist in with the rest of my hair). Then i tuck the ends in aswell, its like a french twist but without tucking it all in, just folded over. Then i use a seamless claw clip to hold it, any layers that have slipped i use the teeth of the claw clip to hold them back.

Claw clips are honestly the best ive found for layers this length because you can do an updo with your length, then use the teeth of the claw clip to hold the layers back too. If that makes sense! lol! :p That way it looks like its all back in one and you can forget about them.

Alternatevly (sp?), ive been doing messy buns with bits sticking up and just letting my longer layers fall down. Its looks kind of funky/messy and romantic. Depends how im feeling on the day.

Either embrace them and make them work for you, or put them up and forget about them for a while. But please dont hate them! they are part of your hard earned hair and will grow! i promise! ;)

Pear Martini
January 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas/support. These days I just put them all up in a half-up. When I go out on the town I feel like this look is too homely tho :-(

LILBERT
January 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
half up is one for my favourite styles! i dont think its homely at all! :flower:

Stephichan
January 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I love half-ups! You can dress them up with pretty clips to make them less 'homely'. Also, wearing earrings or other jewelry can definitely help make them dressier.

florenonite
January 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas/support. These days I just put them all up in a half-up. When I go out on the town I feel like this look is too homely tho :-(

Really? A half-up is one of my "dressy" styles! I always knew I was fashionably-challenged ... :lol:

What about wearing nice earrings with a half-up (if your ears are pierced)? With all your hair down, you don't see the earrings so well, so the half-up is as much a device to show off pretty earrings as it is to conceal the awkward layers.