PDA

View Full Version : Anybody maintaining waist length?

Akiko
January 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
My hair is almost at waist. I am going back and forth whether I should start trimming regularly to keep this length or grow a little longer. My hair is average thickness. I can do most updos now. Wearing down seems to be OK, although it does cause some tangles.

Anybody here maintains waist length? How do you like waist length? I would like to hear great things about waist length!:)

A lot of people have a goal of reaching waist. But once hair reaches waist, most seem to keep growing to hip, TB and longer. I feel like waist length is just a stepping stone for many. Not a final goal.

Tangles
January 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Akiko, I too am unsure whether I want to maintain at "low waist" (when I get there) or shoot for hip+. My ends really seem to get velcro-like as they approach waist, and at this point it's too soon to tell whether gradually trimming off these dead ends will help me grow healthy hair longer.

I think it's a lovely and versatile length. :flower:

violeteyes
January 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I think it all depends on how much time and patience that you have- if you feel like you could handle waist length and longer, go for it! Plus, you don't have to totally give up trimming your ends. A dusting every now and then should keep your hair looking nice.

Peter
January 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I should be at waist within a few months and I'm not sure what I'll do. After 3 years, the idea of not growing my hair longer seems strange. I'm having a bit more trouble wearing it down now though, so I might stay at waist for a while.

Sara Smile
January 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I maintained at waist for about 3 years, getting a trim every 6-8 weeks. My hair was very thick all the way to the ends, with a good blunt hemline. It was also very easy to put up, or leave down. But I always felt that was just too short for me, so I finally stopped cutting it, and now it's past tailbone (almost to classic). Now it feels long to me. :)

Akiko
January 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Tangles. I am finding more splits these days. Those ends are greatly suffering from pre-LHC poor treatment. Heat-styling, rough brushing, chemical treatments.... Hmmm. Now I think of it, I may just have to keep trimming to keep it healthy.

Akiko
January 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you for the replies, violeteyes, Peter and Sara Samile!

I don't think I am that patient. I would like to enjoy updos as well as wearing down without a big fuss. It's so true that a thought of not growing longer is a bit strange. I have been doing that for a few years. It's going to be a change.

Since my ends are not in the greatest shape, I might keep trimming and see how I feel about longer hair. Maybe I will be ready for longer...

violeteyes
January 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have trimmed about every two to three months because, for me, tiny trimms are a lot easier than huge cuts. Trust me, I know

teela1978
January 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I just recently hit waist, and decided to try for hip. I still have a pretty full hemline I think, so I figured I'd see if I could handle it longer. I'm actually finding waist to be a difficult length. Not long enough for half the hairstyles I'd like to do, and too long for all the rest :)

MsBubbles
January 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
A lot of people have a goal of reaching waist. But once hair reaches waist, most seem to keep growing to hip, TB and longer. I feel like waist length is just a stepping stone for many. Not a final goal.

Good point, Akiko! Waist length does tend to be where people want to grow to at first (me) but after being here extend the ultimate goal to hip or beyond (me).

I'd like to say I'm joining you but I think I'm going to be perpetually dusting at 2" away from waist length. Your hair is gorgeous.

And Teela, yeah, you DO have a healthy, thick hemline! Beautiful.

marikamt
January 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I did have a goal of waist, but now that I am almost there, it does not feel "long"... that being said, I will maintain at waist for a while to grow out a LOT of layers... the shortest are at APL... when it is more one length, I may find I like waist and stay there... otherwise, I think hip, but prob not longer (as far as what I can think I would enjoy).... I may change my mind though! :D

ButterCup02
January 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm just past BSL right now, plan to maintain at waist for a while once I get there. I have some layers and damage from heat styling pre LHC I want to grow out, and will take a few years. After that I'm not sure though. I really do like the look of that length, but I like the look of hip and TBL too!

1nuitblanche
January 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I have been around waist for close to a year now. I was maintaining to get rid of some layers and recently cut to about 1.5" above waist to get rid of a few more. It's a pretty nice length to stay at--everyone else thinks it looks really long, but when I still think of it as only kind of long (manageable). Eventually, I expect to grow past waist, and then likely return again.

misspriss
January 6th, 2010, 05:54 PM
My longest layers are just tickling waist now. I plan to maintain waist for a while, so that my deep layers can catch up. My goal has always been classic since high school, but I don't know if I want to go that long right now.

So I have been planning to hold at waist for a while, and I will be soon.

young&reckless
January 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM
My first goal was waist and it was great but I am now at hip, growing out layers buy not cutting at the same time and like it so I'm going to stay at hip.

That last 4-6 inches has made a huge change in where my braid tail ends and now I don't smack myself in the nose with the hard hair tie anymore.

klcqtee
January 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I vote maintain until you get rid of any damaged ends. I know you mentioned your hemline is nice, but I'd maintain for a while. Besides, it's easier to grow from it being healthy, if you decide to change your mind later on.

morningstar
January 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
While hip length is my goal, I will probably hang out at waist for a while. I need to give the shorter hairs a chance to catch up :) My hair is very fine and I too have some damage to trim away. I hope for a healthier hemline to continue on.

jivete
January 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'd love to be maintaining at waist instead of just past BSL where I am now. But these layers and icky ends just have to go.

Bekah
January 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I've been hanging out around waist (+/- a bit) for about a year. I grew to this length mostly unintentionally and got my first big trim when I realized it was down to my tailbone but looked awful at the ends. Trimmed it back to true waist last April and liked the new hemline.

My problem is that I like wearing it down but I loathe getting my hair stuck in chairs, in doors, on other people... etc. So waist seemed like the perfect compromise. Not so long that I sit on it accidentally, but not short either.

I've been debating going a bit farther down to tailbone (I'm almost there anyway at the moment but I'm due for a trim and my ends are looking a bit ragged again) but I'm still not convinced that the extra updo's I could manage with Classic or longer length would be worth the extra fuss when it's down.

ItalianFlower
January 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Once I hit 34" I'm maintaining until I die! Haha, or change my mind... but yeah, the plan it to maintain for a LONG time.

maskedrose
January 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM
My original goal was waist and I've only lengthened it to hip. Because my torso is long, waist on me doesn't look as long as I expected. I've been maintaining waist +/- a bit for almost a year (I did do a chop back to BSL in July, but I'm back again) and while I really like the length, I'm going to start inching towards hip now that most of the damage is off. I won't go longer than hip though - thats my final resting place :)

jel
January 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
My original, ultimate goal was tailbone and I have reached it.

However, ever since passing waist, I've been entertaining the thought of cutting back and maintaining there. It was a good length for me, proportional to my body (Golden ratio), looking long but also being short enough to wear down fairly often.

At the moment I've decided to maintain at tb a bit, to enjoy my ultimate 'princess hair' goal, but after that I will very likely go back to waist.

Gypsygirl
January 7th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm maintaining wl. I don't know why...I guess it works for me and my body type.

invisiblebabe
January 7th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I usually maintain somewhere between BSL and waist. I grow it to waist, then chop to BSL and start over :D

I've had hair at classic length before (ages 13 to 18 or so), I liked it at the time and was happy I had it. I prefer BSL to waist on me currently, though.

Sammich
January 7th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Well, I don't know if my goal is to stay at waist length.... Ehhh... I've been so inspired by photos on this site! Well, I think I'll be maintaining at waist or a bit lower, and then get to my goal depending on how I feel about my hair. :)

Little_Bird
January 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I should be at waist within a few months and I'm not sure what I'll do. After 3 years, the idea of not growing my hair longer seems strange. I'm having a bit more trouble wearing it down now though, so I might stay at waist for a while.

I agree with you very much! Waist was my biggest milestone so far because for me it is where long hair starts. My goal is classic, I'm a little past tailbone now, but I do love waist lenght! I think it's a very flattering lenght on most people.
But, even thinking about reaching classic, it feels so strange to me even only the idea of stop growing my hair, getting back to regular trims....... It's kinda.. I don't know... We spend years growing our hair and get used to seeing our hair grow.

I think this is one of the magic feelings of long hair :)

karli
January 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I am maintaining at waist to grow out layers . This was my first goal as I`ve never been here before. Guess what? It doesn`t feel long enough!

It still doesn`t tangle when loose - I still wear it up almost all the time as I have always done. With a few more inches (tailbone) my buns will look better and more new buns will be possible to do. Even though I am content beeing here, I hope to continue growing when summer comes.

Forever_Sophie
January 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Waist was the final goal for me! Love it! In growing out some layers, it did brush my hips and that little extra bit annoyed me (though I loved the way it looked LOL), it kept getting caught under me when I'm turning over at night, bugged me when I'm braiding it...I took off 3" or so and love it. Feels shorter even though it's still long (milestone, usually after any sort of trim, I feel like I'm starting over!), I'm definitely keeping it at this length :)

paintedmuse
January 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I will be maintaining waist length for a while, once I get there (should happen this year :D).
Then I will probably grow to hip. But since I like to wear my hair down, it is likely that I will go back to waist at some point.

Akiko
January 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Like many said, waist length does not feel long. But when I see some pictures of myself with hair down, it does look long. Maybe it's a good thing. Certainly this length is easy to care for.

I am thinking about trimming this weekend, though. I am not happy with the shape of ends right now. I just got a Creaclip. My husband said he will trim my hair with it. Kind of looking forward to it. :)

This winter is so cold that I would like to wear down more often. I would feel more comfortable wearing it down if my ends look neat. Maybe I should try growing longer when it gets warm. Then I will be wearing my hair up all the time, I don't need to worry about scraggly ends so much.

Altocumulus
January 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I am maintaining at waist because that's the last length at which my taper is still acceptable to me. That said, I enjoy that length - like others have noted, its long but still reasonably convenient to wear down, and looks flattering on most people.

janedoe0
January 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry this isn't really pertinent to the topic but I must say Akiko, your hair is beautiful! It's just how I want my hair to be some day!

sumptuousness
January 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am in a biiiig hurry to get to waist :D & have a long torso so am minimising trims in order to get there as fast as possible.

For this reason I think when I finally get there I might want to maintain and work on the condition & hemline for a bit before proceeding to any greater lengths.

Plus, waist will be longer than I've ever had my hair before so I might linger there awhile in order to fully enjoy it :)

Miuku
January 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I have been maintaining at 3-4 inches past waist for about ten years now. I like the length: long enough to feel properly long, short enough not to get stuck in places too often when I wear it down.

InTheCity
January 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I thought I wanted to be at BSL, but now that I'm here, I've decided to go closer to waste. (Surprise, surprise) Which on me, is probably only 4-5" away. But I'm thinking of taking my time getting there, because my ends need some serious thickening.

As for you, I think the best thing about hair is you can change your mind! Maintain at waste for a little, see how you like it and if you decided you want to go longer, just do it! :D

Curlsgirl
January 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I originally planned to go a little longer than waist but now seeing how it looks I really kind of like it this way. Also I like highlighting and straightening sometimes and updos really hurt my scalp. So leaving it down I already get it caught enough even at waist. I can't see growing much longer if any. I just had about a three inch trim though to get rid of some old damaged ends so I won't trim until it looks like it REALLY needs it again or until it gets to be a pain to wear down. I really do like waist on most people and to me yes it is considered long even though it does NOT FEEL long to me probably because of all the longer lengths here. IRL though it's very long around here, not many as long as mine that I see anywhere.