PDA

View Full Version : Balance of moisture/protein

abritta3
January 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hi all.
My curls are very soft but just have no structure and they look lifeless...they also lack shine today (before I oil)
I have noticed lately that this is a reoccuring thing for me. I do not know how to balance out moisture and protein in my curls and it is getting rather frustrating (and making me HATE my hair).
I don't want to stop conditioning because I know my curls NEED that but I just need some advice. I am very confused over all about what is going on with my 3a curls right now.

Anje
January 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM
There is an article on determining whether your hair needs more moisture or more protein. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) I've also found this article (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.****.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) to be extremely informative.

For people who don't lighten their hair or relax/perm it, my general recommendation is to add moisture. I believe moisture makes for bouncier curls, too, but I'm not a curly, unlike my 3a-3b brothers. Lots of good conditioners out there are even protein free, which is good for people like me who quickly get rough, tangly hair using anything containing protein. My personal recommendations are anything in the Suave Naturals line other than the coconut variety (these are all protein-free and cone-free, the coconut has too much protein for me, which makes it work the best for some other folks), and knockoffs of Biologe conditiong balm (Sally's often carries one, I found mine at Aldi). For even more moisture, add some aloe and honey to either of these for an SMT and let your hair soak in it for as long as you can stand the sticky drips.

If that doesn't work, try clarifying (buildup could contribute to the dullness, as could protein buildup) and repeat the moisture treatment. Hope that helps.

ETA: I'm not sure why the second link automatically breaks. Mods -- are we not allowed to link to this site as well?