PDA

View Full Version : help me concoct something...

LILBERT
January 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I have large quantities of beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, sandlewood EO, patchouli EO, ylang ylang EO, rosemary EO and lavender EO. i got them all a while back to try and make a kind of oil/butter bar for my hair, but all my experimenting hasnt bought up any good results.
Can anyone recommend a recipie with quantities for these ingredients?
TIA :o

Mannaz
January 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hi Lilbert! I've been wanting to do something similar too, but so far haven't tried.

I found this:

Gracefruit’ s Solid Lotion Bars with Beeswax

25% Beeswax
40% Apricot Kernel Oil
20% Shea Butter
13% Cocoa Butter
2% Fragrance Oil

Melt beeswax and apricot kernel oil together on low to medium heat until the beeswax is completely liquefied. Add cocoa butter and melt until liquefied and then remove from heat. Slowly add small pieces of shea butter to the mixture and allow to melt. Doing it this way will prevent the shea butter getting too hot and then going grainy. After the shea butter has melted into the mixture, add fragrance oil and pour into moulds or containers.

Linkki: http://www.gracefruit.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=19

That's meant for skin but i bet it would work well for hair too, just replace the fragrance oil with EO's, and the Apricot kernet oil with the almond oil. I've used almond oil in lipbalms with good results, and since this is somewhat of same consistency it should work.

As for the EO's I think it's a matter of your own preferation, don't see why any of those would not work, but ylangylang is good for dry ends! I always use it in my misters.

Hope that helps a bit. I might try a version of this recipe on the weekend, let's see...

serious
January 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm not sure about putting beeswax in the hair.
You could try to make some nice lotion bars instead, lots of ideas in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35997)

GlassEyes
January 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I'm not sure about putting beeswax in the hair.
You could try to make some nice lotion bars instead, lots of ideas in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35997)
Oh, it's fine unless your hair hates it/you use it in large quantities. Several leave-ins I like have it as a base--albiet, LOW on the list.

You could probably make a facsimilie of Oyin's Whipped pudding if you like. I would expect you'd make it somehow by melted a small amount of beeswax, mixing in a LOT more of melted/softened shea and cocoa butter, whipping it, and adding EO's of your choice. The actual thing has far more ingredients, like honey and aloe, but it'd be decent.

You could also make a thicker version of Fox's shea butter conditioning cream. The recipe is here on the boards. I've made a different version with cocoa and mango butter--the recipe for which is...somewhere on here. Hold on.

My recipe: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33438

You can probably modify it. I don't use it much as a leave-in now, honestly--it's probably better as a DT. xD;

serious
January 6th, 2010, 06:24 AM
GlassEyes, love your recipe! ( haven't seen it before!)

I use a mixture of cocoa butter and conditioner as a DT for my ends, next time I'm going to add some honey in it!

GlassEyes
January 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Just be sure not to add too much--my hair LOVES honey, but too much can make it sticky.

...how much did I put down on there anyway? I'm going to go check. xD;

LILBERT
January 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Honestly, ive hard a lot about people getting great results using honey on their hair, but i havent been brave enough to try it yet :scared:

burns_erin
January 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Well, it is not neccessarily for hair, but get some borax and you could make your own cold cream, which is lovely stuff.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13006&highlight=cold+cream

Or your own lip balm(there are tons of recipes if you google them). And sweet almond is perfect for this.

A find of mine mixes beeswax and cocoa butter to make a stick she rubs on her hands when they are dry and chapped (she does not have a recipe, she just throws it together and remelts as neccessary to remix since she uses beeswax from her own bees so it is not as consistent as more commercial beeswax).

SHELIAANN1969
January 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
LILBURT, is that TRUE Sandalwood EO? That stuff is crazy expensive, or is it synthetic?

LILBERT
January 6th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Its real sandlewood EO, and it was crazy expensive! lol! i wanted to make my own perfume but i couldnt seem to get the mixture right, its always smelled horrible :(

SHELIAANN1969
January 8th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Wow, I love sandalwood, I wanted to get some EO but it was about $130 per ounce! wow, I know they have some other EO's from Haiti and Africa that are cheaper.

You can always use it diluted in sweet almont or jojoba oil and used as perfume.

I definately would not waste it.

Natalia
January 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM
For my softer lotion bars (ones i also use on my hair) i do 1.75 ounces beeswax, 2 ounces butters/solid oils, 2 ounces liquid, and EO's to scent. For the solid oils/butter and liquid oils you can use whatever combonation you like or just one straight. Like burns erin mentioned you can also make lip balm. I did a cocolate peppermint one (modified from serious's recipe) the recipe is posted with the picture in my experiments album. Like the lotion bars if you dont have all the ones i used you can substitute as long as you sub solids for solids and liquids or liquids then scent it however you like :). By the way you can take that lip balm and super scent it to make a solid perfume. Good luck!

violeteyes
January 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hmm...I'm not so sure about the overall recipe, but just be sure to go easy on the patchouli!

Ursula
January 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I make a sort of all purpose hair leave in/skin lotion mixing equal parts of shea butter and coconut oil.

You could probably do something very nice mixing the butters and oil, and then use small amounts of the EO for scent.

The key to this type of mixture is that you use very little of it. For my hair I just touch my finger to the mix, to pick some up, rub my hands together so they are very lightly coated, then fingercomb it through my hair. If you made a bar and tried to apply the bar directly to your hair you probably applied far too much, and wound up with greasy hair.

I've never used bee's wax for a hair product. I keep my oil/butter mix in a small plastic jar, as it is too soft to form a bar.