PDA

View Full Version : Sally's Aloe Gel

Sha-na-na
January 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Any thoughts?:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Aloe-Vera-Gel/SBS-120871,default,pd.html

Do you suppose the ingredients are too harsh for a cone-free/mostly organic regimen?

Ingredients:
WATER ,PVP ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT ,CARBOMER ,TRIETHANOLAMINE ,FRAGRANCE ,POLYSORBATE 20 ,METHYLPARABEN ,DISODIUM EDTA ,DMDM HYDANTOIN

GlassEyes
January 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM
O_O Sounds awesome, actually--despite being COMPLETELY unnatural. I wanna try it.

Especially since it has carbomer, which gives better hold. Also, 8 FREAKING POUNDS OF GEL!? WITH NO PROTEIN? FOR TEN BUCKS?

COUNT ME IN. I wish I had seen this when I made my last Sally's order. I would've gotten the smaller size to test out...and if it worked, gotten the 8 lbs. of it and make my mom think I'm TRULY obsessed. xD;

Gladtobemom
January 6th, 2010, 06:25 AM
It would make a great gag gift.

8 POUNDS of hair gel, for they guy whose pillow is crunchy. :D

GlassEyes
January 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
It would make a great gag gift.

8 POUNDS of hair gel, for they guy whose pillow is crunchy. :DHEYHEYHEY--I COULD GO THROUGH THAT IN A YEAR OR SO.

XD; Okay, I'm not even CLOSE to being that bad. A bottle of 16-22 ounce gel lasts me about a year or more these days, even with my sister stealing it periodically. :p

...I kind of want it. xD;

Also, another thing to note--there's nothing innately drying to the ingredients that I can find--no polyquats or bad alcohols (there are good ones). It should help hold your maritime-curls if that's what you're hoping for.

K_Angel
January 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Are all these ingredients ok for the hair?

Naamah
January 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Just ordered the 2 pound tub of it...didn't feel like buying 8 pounds. :p I'll let you know how it is once I try it out!

Sha-na-na
January 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Just ordered the 2 pound tub of it...didn't feel like buying 8 pounds. :p I'll let you know how it is once I try it out!

Nice. I grabbed some today too. I will try it and report back as well.

K_Angel
January 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I"m looking forward to hearing! :)

GlassEyes
January 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Same here!

Sha-na-na
January 8th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Stuff is amazing, really. It does not have a lot of sticky feel to it, and I can rub it on my hands and it feels somewhat like a lotion. I was worried about this because I do not want sticky hair, but I need it to hold. I need not have worried though, I put rag curls in and this stuff worked a litttle TOO well; I have a fro. :D

I recommend it! Highly!

Anje
January 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Heh, that's awesome.

Mostly, I wanted to clarify for anyone who's confused: this is hair gel that contains aloe. Not aloe vera gel like you'd use specifically for moisture.

It all looks hair-safe to me, though it's not natural or anything.

Sha-na-na
January 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Heh, that's awesome.

Mostly, I wanted to clarify for anyone who's confused: this is hair gel that contains aloe. Not aloe vera gel like you'd use specifically for moisture.

It all looks hair-safe to me, though it's not natural or anything.

Yes, thanks. I am so glad it is hair-safe at least. I really wanted to try pure aloe, so I will continue to search out Fruit of the Earth at Wal-mart and perhaps some Aubrey Organics (<---seems like a better bet). I am sure they would not have the hold I seek though...

Naamah
January 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Great! Can't wait until mine gets shipped. :)

GlassEyes
January 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Stuff is amazing, really. It does not have a lot of sticky feel to it, and I can rub it on my hands and it feels somewhat like a lotion. I was worried about this because I do not want sticky hair, but I need it to hold. I need not have worried though, I put rag curls in and this stuff worked a litttle TOO well; I have a fro. :D

I recommend it! Highly!

Yesss.

Also, pictures or it didn't happen. xD ;)

Sha-na-na
January 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Yesss.

Also, pictures or it didn't happen. xD ;)

I posted them to a different thread, but I will repost here too for ya!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/coolbeansmellon/101_1944-2.jpg

Suuuuuuper curly. I only wish I would have started the rag curls closer to my scalp. It was just an experiment though, so I was afraid to put in too much effort. Overall, this gel was an excellent purchase for the money.

chloeishere
January 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ooooh. I think I might have to get this the next time I go by Sally's. I think I'll stick with the 2 pound though... I'll still probably never finish the whole thing.

It looks great, Sha-na-na!

GlassEyes
January 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Oooh, pretty--if you have problems with volume at the root, you might want to try clipping. It's how a lot of people with naturally curly hair get lift--you basically stick jaw or beak clips in your roots for lift.

I'll probably get the 2 pound tub...go through it, and buy the big tub. It won't go to waste. XD; If it works on my hair that is.

If it doesn't, I'll just give it to my sister.

K_Angel
January 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I posted them to a different thread, but I will repost here too for ya!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/coolbeansmellon/101_1944-2.jpg

Suuuuuuper curly. I only wish I would have started the rag curls closer to my scalp. It was just an experiment though, so I was afraid to put in too much effort. Overall, this gel was an excellent purchase for the money.
Oh wow! That is some awesome natural looking curl!!!!!!!!!!

How much did you use? When did you apply it? Dry or wet hair?

Was your hair sticky or crunchy at all?

TIA! :flower:

Sha-na-na
January 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh wow! That is some awesome natural looking curl!!!!!!!!!!

How much did you use? When did you apply it? Dry or wet hair?

Was your hair sticky or crunchy at all?

TIA! :flower:

Check out this thread I started (explains the process I used):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39920

I used quite a bit of gel on each strand (coated) and I applied it to slightly damp (cool to touch) hair. Nope, hair was not crunchy one bit! And it was extremely touchable in the morning.

K_Angel
January 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Check out this thread I started (explains the process I used):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39920

I used quite a bit of gel on each strand (coated) and I applied it to slightly damp (cool to touch) hair. Nope, hair was not crunchy one bit! And it was extremely touchable in the morning.
*runs to go look at link* Thanks! :)